Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Large journal splits / seeming loss of posts

3 posters

Go down

Large journal splits / seeming loss of posts Empty Large journal splits / seeming loss of posts

Post by Rig D Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:33 am

If / when your journal gets large enough, our Forumotion host application will automatically split your journal, closing the thread locking it for updates after 990 posts (40 pages).  The split will occur on the 1100th post (45 pages), with the posts from 991-1100 placed in a new journal with the same name as the original. All this is done "behind the scenes" and you will NOT be notified that it has happened.  We (moderators) have no control over this action. On first view of your thread, it will look like you have lost most of your data, but it is still there.

This is easy to anticipate, whenever you look in a section like Primal Diaries, or click the “View posts since last visit”, the returned screen will contain a column “Replies” which indicates the number of posts in the thread. For all threads with more than one page, Immediately to the left of the Replies column will display boxes for the various pages in the thread and show the last page number.

You can either let the split occur, or you can pro-actively start a new thread before the split occurs, posting an entry in the old one referring people to the new one. If you want to maintain some continuity between the threads, you could put the link to part 1 in your signature.

Sample screen showing entry and page counts:
Large journal splits / seeming loss of posts Captur11

Last edited by Rig D on Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Large journal splits / seeming loss of posts Empty Re: Large journal splits / seeming loss of posts

Post by ONTARIO Wed May 02, 2018 10:26 am

Huh. I had no idea this would happen. Well, I guess that's what you get from a free forum. Neutral

RigD, thanks for noticing this and posting about it so others aren't freaking out when it happens to them.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Large journal splits / seeming loss of posts Empty Re: Large journal splits / seeming loss of posts

Post by Rig D Wed May 02, 2018 10:43 am

I didn't notice it. Pedidoc's thread split and she thought she'd lost a bunch of data. Lovebird did the exploratory work on what was going on, I just consolidated her info from Pedi's thread and put in here to anticipate further such things.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc Wed May 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Lovebird sent me the link to my archived pages and at her suggestion I added it to my signature line.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down