Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Healthy" foods you can't stand

+6
ekba
ONTARIO
Rig D
RedComet
Meant2Move
Nightly Orange
10 posters

Go down

"Healthy" foods you can't stand Empty "Healthy" foods you can't stand

Post by Nightly Orange Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:21 pm

The smell and taste of fennel make me vaguely nauseous. I don't believe anyone touts it as a superfood, but it's an herb, and herbs are generally considered good for you in small amounts. Still, every time I have some I'd almost rather empty the saltshaker into my mouth just to drown out the taste.

Never used to have a problem with cooked spinach either, but within the last year I've begun finding it disagreeable. My mouth feels really metallic when I eat it.

Are there any paleo diet darling foods that simply don't agree with you? And on a related note, do you think these personal taste preference mean anything significant as regards health? Like maybe if you REALLY can't stand cooked spinach, this may a signal that you've already met your daily allowance of iron or manganese or something like that?
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

"Healthy" foods you can't stand Empty Re: "Healthy" foods you can't stand

Post by Meant2Move Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:23 pm

And on a related note, do you think these personal taste preference mean anything significant as regards health? Like maybe if you REALLY can't stand cooked spinach, this may a signal that you've already met your daily allowance of iron or manganese or something like that?

Interesting notion, particularly if you've developed the dislike after not previously having it.

I have read that there are some genetic triggers to some likes/dislikes. Broccoli for example, there is an enzyme that some of us have that makes broccoli taste particularly bitter while those who don't have the gene that codes for that enzyme are more apt to like broccoli. Taking that to the next level, environment triggers can determine if genes are activated.

For me, it's coconut - goes in my mouth and there is an almost automatic response to spit it back out. And I don't know if Brussel sprouts are anything special but to me they taste like soap regardless of how prepared.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Liver. I've tried SO MANY preparations, but it still makes me want to barf.

Not fond of most fish, either. I can handle tinned sardines (certain brands) and salmon. Anything else? Eh...

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Tue May 01, 2018 1:06 am

Meant2Move wrote:And I don't know if Brussel sprouts are anything special but to me they taste like soap regardless of how prepared.

Lol, I forgot about brussel sprouts. I can't stand 'em either.

RedComet wrote:Liver. I've tried SO MANY preparations, but it still makes me want to barf.

Not fond of most fish, either. I can handle tinned sardines (certain brands) and salmon. Anything else? Eh...

You dislike liver...paleo heresy. Prepare to be excommunicated from the Church of Primal for your depraved blasphemy and exiled to the land of Nod, where you will eat GMO soy and gluten biscuits for the rest of your days.

How about raw fish? I generally prefer raw fish to cooked fish, with the exception of mackerel, for some reason. Come to think of it, I like liver more on the super rare side as well.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Tue May 01, 2018 7:13 am

+1 on dislike of liver and brussel sprouts.
RedComet, I sort of share your dislike/indifference to fish.
However, I found that in the years where we lived in coastal cities in Florida that the fish was better than it is here, hundreds of miles from the oceans, even if the fish is supposedly "fresh" shipped in daily from the coast and not frozen
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet Tue May 01, 2018 10:02 am

It's funny-- growing up, I always thought I liked fish pretty well... "fish" being breaded and fried, and therefore hardly fish lol. The mouth-feel of raw fish doesn't agree with me, but it's been a few years since I've tried it. It's possible my tastes have changed. My wife is crazy about sushi and would eat it every day if she could. Perhaps I'll tag along next time she pops out for some.

Rig D-- I hear you on that. Eating something freshly-caught and close to the source definitely does taste better. I remember fishing with my dad as a kid and eating the Perch we caught, either grilled or baked. Those weren't half bad, especially when compared to something "fresh" that's been sitting behind glass at the meat counter.

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Wed May 02, 2018 10:59 am

Brussels sprout. Gah! I can...not....stand them! Weirdly, I love cabbage but those little Brussels sprout...yuck!

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Wed May 02, 2018 11:01 am

Rig D wrote:+1 on dislike of liver and brussel sprouts.
RedComet, I sort of share your dislike/indifference to fish.
However, I found that in the years where we lived in coastal cities in Florida that the fish was better than it is here, hundreds of miles from the oceans, even if the fish is supposedly "fresh" shipped in daily from the coast and not frozen

This is true. I grew up in a fishing village. Fresh fish, literally right off the boat, or self-caught, was a staple in our house. We would eat Lake Erie perch, trout and bass at least 4 days a week. I love fish for this reason. But the frozen, grocery store stuff just doesn't measure up. Not even close.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Wed May 02, 2018 8:57 pm

I don’t like raw kale. If you cook it a long time with smoked pork and some kind of onions or garlic - OK. But please don’t give me a kale “Caesar salad”. Blech.

Not a fan of offal either.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali Sun May 13, 2018 8:25 pm

Beets.
I'm told I loved them as a young kid, but the sight/smell of boiled beets makes me want to hurl...

I also hate cauliflower. Looks like a bleached brain. =D

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Post by suezee Mon May 14, 2018 1:25 pm

I didn't like kale before it became a superfood. I still don't like kale.

suezee

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus Mon May 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Kale, no matter how it is prepared, gives me indigestion. Can’t stand broccoli.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ Sat May 26, 2018 7:00 pm

The Walrus wrote:Kale, no matter how it is prepared, gives me indigestion.  Can’t stand broccoli.  

No indigestion here, but kale, to me is so gross. I suppose, however, that it would make good biodegradable camping TP or bird cage liner.

I also don't like venison, and I've had it prepared by good home-cooks and in a restaurant that specialized in game. Elk, yum; bunny livers - like buttuh, but venison makes me unhungry. Smile
LoonieJ
LoonieJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down