Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Organ meats--how to do them?

+10
Nightly Orange
Paysan
Lovebird
Rig D
breadsauce
Pedidoc
RedComet
sharperhawk
katierose
mudhenny
14 posters

Go down

Organ meats--how to do them? Empty Organ meats--how to do them?

Post by mudhenny Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:58 pm

I have a neuropathy issue (trigeminal neuropathic pain) and am trying very hard to get my B vitamins. I'm not thrilled with supplements for a variety of reasons. Obviously the best way to get them naturally, especially B12, is through organ meats, primarily liver. Plus I just think it is a good idea, but the problem is, I pretty much hate them.

I can stomach chicken liver if I bread it, and deep fry them in bacon fat, and eat with carmelized onions. But that is messy and time consuming so I don't do it as often as I should. Tried the frozen "liver pills", but my gag reflex is so strong that I can't get much down. The "liver shots" still gross me out.

Currently I'm trying to eat liverwurst by warming it up and adding lots of herbs and garlic, spreading on a seedy cracker. I'm going to try and see how much I can incorporate into other foods, like chili, before it makes them too funky.

Any other ideas for how to incorporate organ meats and other offal in the diet? Plus what is up with this "shot of energy" thing? I find organ meats very filling, but I'm not getting any big energy buzz?

mudhenny

Back to top Go down

Organ meats--how to do them? Empty Re: Organ meats--how to do them?

Post by katierose Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:06 am

I hear you on the liver...so far the only way I can eat it is to blend some in a food processor and mix it into meatloaf. I know you said no supplements, but you can get pills that are just dessicated grass fed liver.  I don't even want to know what a liver shot is!!  Shocked

What about heart?  It's probably the least offensive of the organ meats since it's muscle.  3 oz of beef heart has over 100% of the RDA for B12.  There's a good amount of B12 in beef in general, plus lamb, wild salmon, mackerel and sardines.

katierose

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:55 am

I eat liver with a bowl of plain rice. I alternate a bite of liver with a forkful of rice. Or I put some of both in my mouth at the same time. The blandness of the rice makes the strong taste of the liver tolerable. If you are avoiding carbs, you could use some other bland, unseasoned food.

Just recently I tried cooking and cutting a 4 ounce serving of liver into several pieces. I eat one piece per day and keep the rest in the refrigerator. The rationale is that liver is the best source of Vitamin A, but you shouldn't eat a full serving everyday (too much iron), and it's better to spread out the Vitamin A consumption over the week. One-seventh of a serving is still nasty by itself, but it's only one or two mouthfuls.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:40 pm

I literally can't handle liver. I've tried cooking it several ways, but it grosses me out. I've heard good things about liver supplements, though. I've been meaning to try these for a while. Pricier than cooking your own, but no taste:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J47LEMS

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:06 pm

I can do pan fried liver and onions occasionally. One of the only recipes we brought back from England was steak and kidney pie
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/the-classic-steak-and-kidney-pie-138782
Substitute potatoe starch for flour and either mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes for the crust.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by breadsauce Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:30 am

I make chicken liver pate, pork liver pate, etc etc. About 50% of the pate is liver, the rest is fatty pork meat, with some onion, spices etc. It is delicious and there is really no taste of liver. Something like the following - but I use 50% liver, and put it through a grinder / mincer instead of a food processor. It is easy to do and freezes well too.
http://www.paleopantry.org/coarse-country-pate-pate-de-campagne/

breadsauce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks Breadsauce. Like RedComet, I've never been able to handle liver. Your recipe looks like it would dilute it and mask the flavor down to manageable levels.

Our previous attempts at liver have resulted in the liver in the outside garbage and a quick run for fast food.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by mudhenny Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Making my own pate/liverwurst seems totally doable now. Thanks for the link. I've looked around locally and there isn't much available pre-made, and nothing that is from pastured animals. Ordering on-line is an option, but it is very expensive. I've also looked into making my own seedy crackers, as the ones I'm buying are also very expensive.

Rig D--if you haven't tried fried chicken livers, you should give them a try. Unfortunately seasoned flour works the best for breading, but it isn't much, I think the coconut flour worked okay also. I save up bacon fat so I can put an inch in the pan. I was traumatized as a child by liver, but I was amazed that I actually kind of like these!

What the heck are "streaky bacon rashers"? confused

mudhenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:22 am

mudhenny wrote:What the heck are "streaky bacon rashers"  confused

Thin fatty slices of bacon...

Organ meats--how to do them? Streaky-bacon-rashers-plastic-container-isolated-against-white-35098892

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 am

^ Around here, those rashers would be considered "lean"
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 am

Rig D wrote:^ Around here, those rashers would be considered "lean"

Most primal eaters would probably agree with you there.  Smile Pick these instead:

Organ meats--how to do them? 234473011_0_640x640

Back to top Go down

Post by mudhenny Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Well, I've tried liverwurst several times now, and I have to say I really don't care for it anymore than I did the first time, ugh Crying or Very sad tongue

Why does something that is supposed to be that good for us taste that bad?

The homemade crackers are coming along nicely though. Very easy to make!

mudhenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:00 am

mudhenny wrote:
Why does something that is supposed to be that good for us taste that bad?

It doesn't. I'm sorry your childhood experience put you off liver, but it's not like pate/liverwurst tastes anything like liver on it's own... when you eat calfs liver or chicken liver, which are both pretty mild in taste, paired with bacon if necessary, it's a whole different animal, yet a tasty one. But it has to be fresh/flash frozen as offal goes bad much faster than other parts. It's supposed to be on the sweet side and smooth, not bitter and grainy... and it's not like you're supposed to eat straight liver several days a week, be mindful of the vitamin A issue.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/organ-meats/
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/curry-meatballs-with-a-little-offal-in-creamy-tomato-coconut-sauce/
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/6-sneaky-ways-to-work-offal-into-your-diet/
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-primal-foods-you-arent-eating-enough-of/

It could be that you simply haven't found a recipe to your taste, or perhaps stick to your breaded chicken livers while using a gluten free flour. Would you mind sharing your seed cracker recipe? Wink

For old times' sake, Paleobirds' liver pate recipe:

"My pate recipe has evolved and every time I change it it gets a little simpler and a lot better.

2 lbs sliced liver (any critter, lamb and calf are my favorites)
cook in a stick of butter
season while cooking any way you like (I like Italian herbs, garlic and s&p)
put whole mess in blender (or use a hand blender)
add 1 cup heavy cream (raw is best if available)
blend the living daylights out of it until smooth
pour into tupper cups and fridge.

If you want to freeze some for later, drizzle some coconut oil or other fat on top to seal out the air first.

Other things can be added in the mixer for flavoring such as onions, tomatoes, capers, olives, bell peppers, sherry. But I kind of just like the creamy flavor all by itself.

Can be served in celery sticks or as the filling between two slices of cucumber. Or, the ultimate pate delivery device, a spoon.

Pate is a great way to get those who are a little reluctant about liver to come over to the offal side."

http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/forum/the-primal-blueprint-forum-discussion/primal-blueprint-nutrition/62479-paleobird-liver-pate

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Oh darn, that recipe looks and sounds delicious. Alas for me, I LIKE liver, and the simplest to me is liver and onions. Tsk! Except for goat and mutton liver, which I no longer can find. Calf liver is good, pork liver a bit stronger flavoured, but higher in mineral like copper. I sometimes buy liverwurst and can eat it all in a couple days, with or w/o crackers.
From my English ancestry, I love steak and kidney pie, tongue, head cheese ,etc. (You always suspected I was weird, but now you know. Very Happy )

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by breadsauce Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:08 pm

You could also try chicken hearts - more like "meat"!!!

breadsauce

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Strangely enuff, I don't care for chicken livers, altho' I ate plenty of them before coming to that conclusion. Crying or Very sad

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Tue May 22, 2018 8:20 pm

I can't offer much advice here since I enjoy the taste of liver. I heat some oil in a cast iron pan until it's just about smoking, then sear the liver on both sides and eat it practically raw.

If you're feeling super adventurous, maybe you can try a raw liver smoothie  Razz

http://www.fitmamarealfood.com/raw-liver-why-i-added-it-into-my-diet-along-with-a-raw-liver-smoothie-recipe/
Banana Peach Green Smoothie with Raw Liver

Serves 2 (or 1 adult and 2 kids)

Ingredients

1 cup coconut water
1 cup fresh spinach
2-3 tbsp frozen puréed liver
1 cup frozen banana chunks
1 cup frozen peaches
Directions

1. Add the coconut water and spinach to the blender.  Blend on high until all the spinach is smooth and combined, then add the liver in and continue to blend until smooth again.  You want to make sure the liver is broke down before adding more items so you don’t end up with any liver chunks.

2. Add the frozen banana and peach next, and blend until smooth.  Depending on your blender you may need to add a little more liquid to keep it going, or just scrape the sides a couple times to get the frozen chunks down to the blades.

3. Once smooth and creamy pour into glasses and enjoy!

I think if you use enough ripe bananas or other super sweet fruit like mango or even just dump in a few tablespoons of raw honey, it would completely mask the the liver. Back when I used to make a lot more fruit smoothies, I could get away with adding all sorts of bizarre things like powdered kelp (which has quite a powerful briny flavor on its own) and not even taste it.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Wed May 23, 2018 3:07 pm

Remember Jack Lalanne? Before he became virtually a vegetarian and blender shill, he had a tv show that I watched 50+years ago. One segment had him espousing liver for all its benefits, and he advocated grinding liver. My butcher did so for me, and the end product had to be jarred, as it resembled nothing more than dark blood. Yuck! But it had the great advantage of being able to scrambled to doneness in a minute or less in a hot oiled pan. It tasted ok to those who like liver, and if added to fried onions, lightly salted, it tasted even better. I ate a lot of liver that way until my butcher deceased.
For a while, I was dissuaded from eating liver due to the wdely touted (and erroneous ) idea that the liver was the receptacle for all the body's poisons that hadn't yet been de-toxified. Now I eat liver again as part of my diet. But even I draw the line at raw liver.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ Sat May 26, 2018 7:43 pm

I'd do a search of "traditional chopped chicken liver." Most recipes that mention schmaltz, will be close to authentic and delicious.

I've tried liver from other animals, but it can be so unforgiving in relation to under- or over-cooking.
LoonieJ
LoonieJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn Mon May 28, 2018 10:11 am

I blend it and mix it w. minced meat and make spaghetti Bolognese. I started w. 25% and now it is 50%. I am planning on replacing the minced beef w. minced tarts. I can also use the m8xtrue for Italian meatballs.

I eat smoked cod-liver in a salad about twice a week. A good vingrette and some tuna or another canned fish, lost of tasty greens, lost of crunch - and I'm fine w. It (I cannot stomach the oil though - my husband drinks it straight w. Gusto...).

I like the liver pate too - and add a cup a brandy to the frying pan and eat on the seed bread. 9r my guilty pleasure - foie gras (hiding)... on the seed bread w. salted cucumber OMG it is good! Highest K2 content of any food in the world.

I don't worry about A-vitamin content as long as it is from a natural source...

Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:05 am

I can't stomach any of them but am taking these
https://ancestralsupplements.com/products.html

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:42 am

I particularly like giblets.  I stew them in my IP and serve with either rice or mashed potatoes.  The broth is good.  I add in onion and garlic.  Yum.

And darn cheap!  I find mine in the frozen section near seafood.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by mudhenny Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:11 pm

After trying a variety of methods to get my organ meats, I finally gave up and take dessicated liver capsules. My dog has appreciated all the failures though!

mudhenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum