Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

L-Theanine

+9
mudhenny
The Walrus
RedComet
sharperhawk
Annieh
Narrowminded
Rig D
Meant2Move
ONTARIO
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

L-Theanine Empty L-Theanine

Post by ONTARIO Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:04 pm

I was having some problems sleeping so I started taking a supplement that had L-Theanine (100 mg) and melatonin (1.5 mg). I was having much success in the sleeping department. But then I ran out and instead of buying more I decided to use up a different container of melatonin we had. It didn't work. It had no effect on me at all. And then it dawned on me, after much reading, that my sleep schedule was fine. It was staying asleep that was the problem. Hence the reason the melatonin didn't work for me. Anyway, that got me to reading about L-Theanine. It's an amino acid found in tea and some mushrooms. It is that umami taste that you get in Asian foods that are the taste of L-Theanine. Apparently, it acts as a calming agent in the brain.

I've been taking it now for about two months and I am sleeping like I did 20 years ago. No after-effects at all upon waking in the morning. It's really quite incredible. And, I feel somehow calmer throughout the day when I am taking it consistently each night. This has also prompted me to drink more tea. I used to drink a lot of tea but then started drinking coffee about 20 years ago and tea sort of fell to the way side. The combination of taking up tea again and the added supplement at night has had quite an incredible effect on my sleep and, as such, my well-being.

This makes me want to research other non-essential amino acids and their health benefits.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

L-Theanine Empty Re: L-Theanine

Post by Meant2Move Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm

the audiobook I just finished (Better Brain Solution by Steven Masley) mentions this substance as being very good for long-term brain health.  I had been meaning to look into it.

Julia Ross has interesting information on non-essential amino acids. Ignoring the "cure" in her works, I have found some of her recommendations to be spot on.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:22 pm

I had never heard of L-theanine until your post. A quick search and skim of several articles would indicate that I would probably benefit from trying it. It seems to be one of those substances that has a specific sleep benefit, but is also "good for what ails ya."
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Meant2Move wrote:the audiobook I just finished (Better Brain Solution by Steven Masley) mentions this substance as being very good for long-term brain health.  I had been meaning to look into it.

Julia Ross has interesting information on non-essential amino acids. Ignoring the "cure" in her works, I have found some of her recommendations to be spot on.

Thanks for that info. I will definitely look that up.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Thank for the reminder. I used to take that for a different reason a while ago and then let it fall by the wayside, who knows why. I’ll have to try it again. Of course if I could get DH’s on machine from beeping in the middle of the night I’d sleep better too Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:53 pm

I drink bucketloads of tea. I generally have no sleep issues. I've never till now thought there might be a connection, but you have given me good reason to carry on.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:35 am

It's funny that yesterday I drank some tea and dozed off soon afterwards. I was sleep-deprived, but I imagine that L-theanine pushed me over the threshold.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:36 pm

I just picked up some of this today, after reading this thread. Thanks, Ontario!

I've taken L-Theanine before, back when I was doing Bulletproof coffee on the regular. It did have a slight calming effect, though I never thought to take it for sleep.

Last edited by RedComet on Thu May 19, 2022 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:48 am

Thanks for this, I’ll get some! I have the same problem of not staying asleep.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by mudhenny Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Be careful with the melatonin! It is produced by the body, but in MUCH smaller amounts. When you take it orally, body production can really get out of wack, then when the oral melatonin quits working (which it eventually will), you are in a bit of a fix.

I've had terrible problems with insomnia for years, tried pretty much every supplement under the sun, but nothing has really helped for more than a short period of time (until the body adjusts). L-theanine seems innocuous enough though, if you don't take it in caffeinated tea!

mudhenny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:22 pm

I purchased some l-theanine after reading this as I have been having the same sleep issues i.e. not staying asleep and after two nights I can say my sleep quality is already improved. I am still waking up but I am falling asleep again with no trouble, and feeling much more rested. I look forward to even more improvement as time goes on!
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:13 am

^^ Same here! I need to experiment more--and supplement with more regularity--but I seem to be benefitting from the Theanine as well! I feel like I don't wake up quite as much when I take it, and that when I do have a random awakening, getting back to sleep is easier. I've felt more rested as of late, too, and the Theanine may be the reason.

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 pm

The Walrus wrote:I purchased some l-theanine after reading this as I have been having the same sleep issues i.e. not staying asleep and after two nights I can say my sleep quality is already improved.  I am still waking up but I am falling asleep again with no trouble, and feeling much more rested.  I look forward to even more improvement as time goes on!

That's awesome! I'm glad it's working for you. Isn't it great when you get a decent night's sleep?

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 pm

RedComet wrote:^^ Same here! I need to experiment more--and supplement with more regularity--but I seem to be benefitting from the Theanine as well! I feel like I don't wake up quite as much when I take it, and that when I do have a random awakening, getting back to sleep is easier. I've felt more rested as of late, too, and the Theanine may be the reason.

LOVE IT!!!!

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by breadsauce Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:10 am

As a poor sleeper for many years, this might just be the answer! I've bought some ... Hoping it will stop me waking after just and hour nor two .

breadsauce

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:58 pm

It's on my list, but I don't expect miracles. Laughing Between my hubby and I , we make 2-3 potty trips per night, not all at the same times. Then there's the dogs outdoors.The last couple of nights, something has disturbed them mightily, possibly a bear or the cougar that has been sighted down the road. On top of that, hubby has a hip replacement slated for sometime this year, and is in constant pain. Of course, he can fall asleep in the daytime, an art I've never picked up. Here's to better ZZZZZ's.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by breadsauce Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:59 am

It's arrived! Is evening best time to take it? Can't wait for a good night's sleep ...

breadsauce

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:39 pm

breadsauce wrote:It's arrived! Is evening best time to take it? Can't wait for a good night's sleep ...

I typically take it about an hour before sleep.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by breadsauce Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:08 am

I don't know if the effect is real or in my mind - but I've slept so much better the past 2 nights. And that in spite of having developed a rotten cough - just as spring is arriving!).

breadsauce

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 am

Okay, for all of you taking L-Theanine and seeing positive results. Question for you.....how much are you taking each night?

I am taking 100mg about an hour before sleep.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:48 am

And, to add to Ontario question, what brand are you using?

marcadav

Back to top Go down

Post by breadsauce Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm taking 200 mg. This make https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S8F2E4Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

breadsauce

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:12 pm

I take 100mg twice a day. I take one in the morning with my other morning supplements, or at lunch-time. I take another 100mg before bed.

It's entirely possible that this is placebo, but I've been feeling better since taking it with regularity. I take Jarrow's L-Theanine, but I think most any brand will do as long as it doesn't have junky ingredients.

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:41 am

RedComet wrote:

It's entirely possible that this is placebo, but I've been feeling better since taking it with regularity. I take Jarrow's L-Theanine, but I think most any brand will do as long as it doesn't have junky ingredients.

I doubt it's a placebo effect. Here's why....... I initially got on to L-theanine from tea. I used to drink a lot of tea. Being brought up in Canada tea is a big deal here. Then when I moved to Texas I couldn't find a decent cup of tea and started drinking coffee. Fast forward 20 year to today's time and a few months ago, for some reason, I started having a cup of tea at night. Fully caffeinated, tea, at that. And I was sleeping better. It seemed strange to me that I was taking in a cup of caffeine in the evening but sleeping better. I hadn't even made the connection to L-theanine yet. It was when I got the melatonin supplement and saw it had this unknown substance, L-theanine, that I googled it and figured out the connection.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:39 am

I take 150 mg of Doctor's Best. I was taking it just once away, about an hour before bedtime, but since I fractured my wrist I started taking it mid-morning as well. I need all the calming I can get right now.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum