Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egg substitute? Cauliflower Pizza Crust

5 posters

Go down

Egg substitute? Cauliflower Pizza Crust Empty Egg substitute? Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Post by OnTheBayou Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:19 am

I want to ramp up my low carb/paleo-ish repertoire. I'm pretty much fine with sticking to easy basics, meat, eggs, cheesees, etc.

But now that I have a wonderful woman in my life, I want to get fancier for some of the meals we have together. She is quite overweight and definitely wants to do low carb and good food choices along with me. (I gained 18 pounds since we met three months ago! Definitely too much eating for pleasure!)

So, I'm really intrigued with cauliflower recipes, especially for pizza. I found a recipe that looked really well thought out, but it needs an egg. My fiance' has a very rare congenital skin condition and eggs cause her skin to hurt. I looked at Bob's Red Mill Egg Substitute, ugh!

"whole soy flour, wheat gluten, corn syrup solids, algin (from algae)"

A search for egg substitutes has a very wide range of suggestions; some look pretty "iffy" to me. Vinegar? Oil?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=egg+substitutes&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR

Anyone here have a tried and try one?

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Egg substitute? Cauliflower Pizza Crust Empty Re: Egg substitute? Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Post by ONTARIO Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:36 pm

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that on the AIP sites some of the bloggers use chia seeds in some fashion as an egg replacer.

Look around at the AIP bloggers recipe sites. Most of them use egg substitutes quite commonly in recipes.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Egg substitute? Cauliflower Pizza Crust Empty Re: Egg substitute? Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Post by Narrowminded Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm

OTB, while I haven’t used it in cauli pizza, I have used flax seeds. Not sure you ran across it, but it’s big i the vegan community. I can’t remember the exact ratios, but if you google it, I’m sure you’ll find it. Worked well for what I used it for. It’s been years so can t really remember what I made. I believe you can also use chia seeds as they also get gelatinous.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Narrowminded wrote:OTB, while I haven’t used it in cauli pizza, I have used flax seeds. Not sure you ran across it, but it’s big i the vegan community. I can’t remember the exact ratios, but if you google it, I’m sure you’ll find it. Worked well for what I used it for. It’s been years so can t really remember what I made. I believe you can also use chia seeds as they also get gelatinous.

Thanks, I did come across those options. I found one really good page that said you need to figure what you want the egg to do; i.e., bind the ingredients for breads, etc. Although not on that page, I found that Xanthan gum is used a lot in gluten free baking. Any ole gum, whether flax, chia, or xanthan is your basic polysacchiride. (sp?). I have Xanthan gum, so that's what got used.

My first cauliflower crust is in the oven as I type. Thanks for your input.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 am

Well, my first cauliflower crust failed if one was expecting to pick up even a small square slice. Nevertheless, a very guilt free pizza tasting meal. I used turkey pepperoni and fat free mozzarella to keep the calories down. Better to use VOO in the crust is my thinking.

I think I should have added a lot more Xanthan. It's kind of a crap shoot doing substitutions.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 am

How about getting a slice of real pizza once a month?
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:37 am

sharperhawk wrote:How about getting a slice of real pizza once a month?

I'm not a purist by any means, and from time to time I'm at an event and I'll eat pizza. (Too much!) But since my fiance' and I are going to tackle our weight together, I was looking for something tasty for us. If it was just me, it would be simple paleo fare, because why cook fancy for only myself? But I'm willing to try new things since I'm cooking for two now, several times a week. I also try to keep her stocked with healthy lunch options for work.

Next time, more Xanthan gum and cook the crust longer before adding the pizza ingredients on top.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 am

OTB...I also know that with cauliflower pizza really getting the water out of the cauliflower is essential to getting the crust crisp enough to pick it up. Maybe wrap it in cheesecloth and squeeze the bejezzus out of it.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 am

ONTARIO wrote:OTB...I also know that with cauliflower pizza really getting the water out of the cauliflower is essential to getting the crust crisp enough to pick it up. Maybe wrap it in cheesecloth and squeeze the bejezzus out of it.

I only had a towel, and while no free water came out, the towel definitely got a lot of water in it. But i think I will get cheesecloth next time around.

Where do you buy something like that these days other than Amazon?

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:11 am

OnTheBayou wrote:
ONTARIO wrote:OTB...I also know that with cauliflower pizza really getting the water out of the cauliflower is essential to getting the crust crisp enough to pick it up. Maybe wrap it in cheesecloth and squeeze the bejezzus out of it.

I only had a towel, and while no free water came out, the towel definitely got a lot of water in it.  But i think I will get cheesecloth next time around.

Where do you buy something like that these days other than Amazon?

Where I live cheesecloth can usually be found in a grocery store near where the plastic wrap or foil is. Also, I have often seen it at dollar stores. Walmart also sells cheesecloth. At Walmart it's usually in the home section near where you find spatulas and wooden spoons, etc.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:57 am

I don't know how you feel about legumes - but the vegans have found this wonderful natural egg-replacement which they call aguafaba (ie. Bean water). So if you eat beams or garbanzos at all (my daughter does), you can reduce the cooki g water untill it becomes a gelatin like substance and this substance can be used as an egg replacement (I've used it to make mayo).

Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down