The Glass is Never Empty - My Primal Diary

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: The Glass is Never Empty - My Primal Diary

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:38 pm

So sorry about your migraines do try and be gentle with yourself.

Another thing for PF is freeze a water bottle and then roll your foot over it, back and forth. Hope that can help too.

Grok on my friend!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:58 pm

I'd second the vote for the airdyne. Excellent machine and the full-body workout is very good. One can focus effort between upper and lower body too.

Be well!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Thank you guys!

I am also a big fan of the frozen water bottle. I spend 5-10 minutes every morning with that, and really should do it at night as well.

The migraine is.... almost better? Or it was until there was a fire drill here in the clinic this morning. 3 days is the longest mine tend to last, so if it's not all gone by the morning I'm going to have to see a doctor about it which I am loathe to do. Also need to recheck my eyes, as I spend a Lot of time reading things.

I made an amazing dinner last night. Chicken breast, and sauteed zucchini, tomato, peppers, and onion. I tossed in some olive oil and garlic, a bit of salt, and topped it all with a sprinkling of grated cheese. It was so delicious! I have the other half for lunch today and am very excited about that. More so since I realized I forgot all about breakfast until now. It's sitting in my lunch bag.

The PF is getting a little better. I'm also making a point of stretching my foot and ankles during the day when I have a minute.

Fun, and new this time around with primal. I'm not really missing things. Everyone I've talked to is amazed and confused that I'm starting to change my eating during the holiday season, when we're having special treats every day at work, and there are all kinds of parties and things, but I'm not craving anything. (except occasionally pizza, but that's a mental thing). It's easier than I remember to walk past the cookies and baked goods and candy and just keep walking. Not sure why, but.... I'm going to roll with it.

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:14 pm

Not unusual for the holidays,it’s when I started last year and my best I’ve ever done with any dietary change. Good for you walking by all kinds of treats.

Your food sounds delish as well

Grok on my friend
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:52 am

Hhmm, your zucchini meal sound like something I'm going to try tomorrow.
Glad the PF is getting better.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:33 am

The zucchini was just as good the second time around. Will definitely be making it again this week (hopefully before the mushrooms are all gone so I can add those in too)

I think I might have eaten some sneaky gluten or something last night though. A friend made turkey gumbo with her thanksgiving leftovers and had been telling me about it, so she brought me some to try. It was delicious, and seemed simple. Turkey, sausage, broth, some veggies, but my hands are really puffy this morning and my weight was up. Ah well. It Was delicious, and I'll take the chance on the occasional homemade treat like that.

The migraine is all gone except for the little echo of tension. A solid 10 hours of sleep helped. Very Happy That's good, as I have a singing gig tomorrow and need to practice! That and a concert on Thursday make this coming week the busiest one of the season for me, since neither job1 nor 2, nor the deadlines for the Awesome Yet Vague Game Project are slowing down.

I think I'm going to have to look at how full I'm letting my mental plate get, in a serious way over the next few months. I have a lifelong habit of overextending myself with things that are all good, important, fun, and tie in to who I am, and then throwing the full plate against the wall and letting it shatter when it suddenly becomes Way too much. Feels a bit like I'm going there again.

One of the things I'm looking at and realizing this time around with primal, and I think one of the reasons it's feeling more natural and less "weird-struggle"y this time is because I'm not just looking at food and movement. I'm looking at my life. Stress, sleep, joy, play, dreams and goals, future plans, it's all kind of wrapped up together.

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:43 am

...it's all kind of wrapped up together.

I strongly agree. It needs to be a complete lifestyle approach. I think the biggest mistake many make is to tackle Primal with a strictly dietary approach
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:45 pm

The cursed headache came back! Saturday afternoon, Sunday, yesterday, on and off today. I took the day off from job1 to a) go to the doctor and see if my ear is infected (which has been a thing this year) which might cause that and b) de-stress a bit. We have a week and a half until winter break but honestly last week felt like 4, so a mental health day seemed appropriate.

I'm finding my groove with the food. Lots more veggies, and less fruit than I expected to crave. Also weirdly I bought some delicious Green and Black's 85% dark chocolate, which I was craving. I bought it on Saturday. More than half of the bar is still here. I like the taste, but I'm done after a couple of bites. Also noticing a vast improvement in night munchies.

The elliptical is arriving today, and also my foot is starting to feel better enough that I'm going to resume morning walks, and build up to some little runs. I miss running so, so much.

Singing in a concert Thursday, so today I got my costume together (Victorian caroler), tomorrow is final rehearsal after work, and Thursday night we get to have musical fun. It's 6 singers and a wind orchestra. Now it's off to the doc, and then to catch up on the other threads here!

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi there. I just knew that name rang a bell... but not as a user, but a journal title. Smile And a belated welcome to you!

You could try adding more water and/or bone broth to see if it helps with the headache, especially if the doc rules out anything more serious.

Good luck!

Improve, Appreciate, Connect, Protect.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 pm

It turns out there's been some kind of mad rush of migraines at the doc's office this week, possibly related to the perpetual waves of "It's 80, now it's 50, now it's 30, oh look, 75!" happening outside. I have a new med to try to knock it out of my system, and instructions to do whatever I think best to deal with allergies and inflammation. So, that's the vague plan at this point. Smile Lots of water and broth is Always a good addition to a plan too.

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Glad the foot issue is resolving. The foot stretching splint is helping, it seems.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:51 pm

It really is! I told the doc about that when I saw her today. She was very excited since it had helped her with her own PF so much. The weirdest thing though, is that sometimes I'll wake up and it will be off of me, though I have no memory of taking it off. There are three buckled straps involved, so I must have been sleep-stripping! Very Happy

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:49 pm

HAHAHA Sleep stripping - too funny. Happy to hear nothing serious going on. Hopefully the med will knock it out quick.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Funny, how the body says enough whether we're awake or not. :]
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote:Funny, how the body says enough whether we're awake or not. :]

Yep, this!

Sure hope you find relief from the headache.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:01 am

The headache finally went away for real on Thursday. It was a bit better Wednesday but that was a 17 hour day between work and rehearsal so it was back by the end of the day.

The concert Thursday went really well, and I was home before 9 which was wonderful. Sleep is king.

Friday was a mad stressful day at work, some things bringing up old ghosts for me, lots of trying very hard not to cry, and by the end of the day I was really, really interested in munching. I've gotten a lot better at not eating my stress, this notably being the first time I've done it in a few months, but I absolutely did. I bought some nut crackers, and munched out on fruit, those, cheese, and far too much bourbon until I fell asleep. Definitely felt it the next day.

Saturday we put together my new desk. I replaced a monster of an old rolltop with something small, sleek, and simple. It opens up my room so much. Next step is to replace the laptop with an all-in-one computer, and then I think my "home-workspace" overhaul will be done.

Sunday I wrote music most of the day, and cooked.

By the end of the weekend I felt really relaxed, but for some reason last night I couldn't sleep. I went to bed at 9, and it was after midnight before I finally fell asleep, after which I woke up a Lot. It made getting up this morning more difficult than usual, and I could feel the anxiety and stress from Friday creeping back in.

Five days until Christmas break, lots of sleep, and some time for play. I really need a bit of a relax!

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Glass i'm happy to hear your headache has finally departed. However, I think it came here. Not a migraine, but a good headache none the less, been here since Friday. Smile

Sounds like the home office area is really coming together nicely. Always makes things feel better.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:07 am

Glad the headache is gone. Cooking helps to calm me down.  Makes me feel productive and it's a good way to distract from troubles.  I know what stressful days can be like and hope you're able to find respite from the pressure in a nice couple of days and a weekend to relax.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Merry Christmas, Glass! Hope your New Year is the best ever! santa
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Merry Christmas to you, hang in there.