The Primal Intellectual

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:18 pm

Rig D wrote:Pedidoc, you'll get your turn for lousy weather in August, 90's for both humidity and temperature (F).  But I'd trade with you. This time of year do you guys get many snowbirds from Canada, Michigan, Ohio, etc down there?  Just wondering if that is primarily a Florida thing.

Yes to both the horrible humidity in the summer and the snowbirds. Heck Greensprout spent a week down here a few years ago. We also get tons of rain, hurricanes, and flooding.....
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:55 pm

ONTARIO wrote:
Greensprout wrote:Hear ya on the frozen nose hairs!  Way back in 2001 I did my first 10K run on New Year’s Day when we lived here in Manitoba.  

Winterpeg? Laughing

Yup. Positively balmy here yesterday at -1C/30F. Even today was lovely at -6C/21F. Back to -20C on Thursday. 37 days until Caribbean cruise Very Happy
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:47 pm

After all the snow I have shovelled in the last 3 days this is how I feel:

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:56 pm

lol!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Hahahah!
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:15 pm

Oh, I love that cartoon. (I adore snow person humor.)
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:51 pm

Love it!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Here we're getting rain and massive flooding. Apparently 15 perished from mudslides in Montecito, CA.

I live in a boring little concreted area of Los Angeles. Love nature, but, the risks are tremendous when Santa Anas' and rains appear in the canyons near wilderness.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote:Here we're getting rain and massive flooding.   Apparently 15 perished from mudslides in Montecito, CA.

I live in a boring little concreted area of Los Angeles.  Love nature, but, the risks are tremendous when Santa Anas' and rains appear in the canyons near wilderness.

Yikes! That's awful. I can't imagine. You know, as much as I complain about the snow we in Southwestern Ontario are very lucky in that we don't get earthquakes or tsunamis or mud slides. We rarely get tornadoes and those we do get are small. Flooding is very rare here. We are fortunate that way.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:32 pm

I know, it was weird seeing the Tsunami Zone signs while driving down the coast. Thankfully, that kind of flooding hasn't happened, yet.

I love snow. It's so clean and beautiful when it first falls. Also, I know that living in snow country is, literally, not for the weak of heart. You folks are pretty tough. :]
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 am

Agree HFF on the snow being clean and beautiful when it first falls. Unfortunately, what you usually see for weeks after that first snowfall is the dirty, dark gray/brown sludge looking stuff pushed to the sides of parking lots and roads.

The appeal of California has always escaped me. Droughts, Santa Anna winds, earthquakes, wild fires, floods, possible tsunamis. No thanks.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:14 am

The city, not so appealing because of the mismanagement and deterioration of policy on a score of things, but, the sierras, oceans and all the wild flower places California is known for as well as the diversity of cultures, people and food....has sunk deep in my soul. I do love my state for these reasons, although, I feel sad to hear about the loss from the natural disasters that are occurring...
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:36 am

This step counting thing is really working out for me. I had my best day yet on Friday with over 16,000 steps. I think I'm getting into a good, solid routine. My son, 17, is a Dive Master in SCUBA and last night he was teaching at the pool. Normally I would spend the two hours reading but last night I did laps instead.

I'm still just using a pedometer as the Garmin VivoFit 4 that I pre-ordered still has not been released in Canada. I'm curious about other things like heart rate, sleeping etc now.

We're off to SCUBA again tonight - more laps! Smile

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Hey Ontario, that's great. Most steps ever, keep it up.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Ontario, the steps can become addicting. I think my best day ever was like 22000 steps and yesterday that was here at home Smile

Congrats on doing so well
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 pm

With your inclination to analyze, some of the HR stuff may make you a little crazy, but it is interesting. I'm finding too that I get 2-3000 steps more per day on the wrist based Garmin tracker than my Fitbit - not that I believe I've earned them, but the little Garmin notification buzz causes me to be more aware on days when I'm not going to hit my daily target on the Fitbit and I step it up (so to speak).
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Meant2Move wrote:With your inclination to analyze, some of the HR stuff may make you a little crazy, but it is interesting. I'm finding too that I get 2-3000 steps more per day on the wrist based Garmin tracker than my Fitbit - not that I believe I've earned them, but the little Garmin notification buzz causes me to be more aware on days when I'm not going to hit my daily target on the Fitbit and I step it up (so to speak).

I'm actually thinking about cancelling my Garmin order. I'm very practical and hate waste so I considered that my pedometer is incredibly accurate with respect to steps and every one has said how the wrist trackers are too generous with steps. I'm wondering if I really need anything else. And, yes, MeanttoMove, with the way I've become a slave to this pedometer I do wonder if more info could actually be worse, rather than better.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:20 pm

Well, even knowing of the HR tracking issues before I bought the device, there is a part of me that just wants the information to be right. And it isn't. And now the watch has calculated that my VO2 max is dropping when I know that isn't the case so why do I even look at it????

I'll just slink away now and rant in my own journal. I'll just state again how much I love my Fitbit One (which sadly has been discontinued). Here's a cheer for the basic pedometers!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Things are going well here. I'm still doing my daily steps. I started taking melatonin as well. I am sleeping much, much better now but the problem is I now don't know if it's the additional exercise I am getting or the melatonin that is helping. I started them at the same time so who knows. But it's working and that's really all that matters to me.

This weekend we are off to the wine and food show. It will be a first for us. I'm looking forward to it. I am hoping to be able to sample some Ontario wines. I shy away from buying Ontario wine because most that I have tried is sub-standard, IMO, so I hate wasting money to try a specific vineyard, etc. Maybe I'll discover a new one that I actually like. Ontario wine is much, much cheaper to buy do to all the import fees/taxes we pay for anything outside of Canada.

I have some other stuff going on that I don't want to get into but it's stressing me out. I am trying hard to just breathe and take on the attitude that "this too shall pass". Everyone I love is alive, well, and okay and really, in the grand scheme of things that's all that matters. I am trying to keep this in mind as I deal with crap of other people's making that I can not escape. Ain't life grand sometimes? Neutral

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Ontario it may be the combination of both helping you sleep. That said I do better when I get my steps in.

I think sticking with your pedometer is a fine idea if it’s working for you. Like M2M is the tracker is supposed to track something and it doesn’t do it well, then it’s annoying.

I hope your situation can be cleared up quickly.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:42 pm

There are some decent Ontario wines, Niagra and Prince Edward County, but IMO the BC wines are superior from the Okanagan valley. Was surprised to find on a visit to Vancouver Island 2 years ago that they also have vinyards. Quite decent. And cideries, which are rather nice. If you come across BC Greymonk vineyard wines in the LCBO, give them a try. We visited that winery some years back. Their Pino Gris is quite lovely, but varies year to year.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:21 am

The wine and food show was good. I drank entirely too much wine. The food was okay. I had some really great rabbit stew while there. I hadn't had rabbit since I was a kid and we ate a lot of game. I also had a really great pork belly with an apple slaw. Now that was the best thing I ate at the show. However, I still think hubby makes a better pork belly.

I forgot to take my melatonin the other night. I slept like crap. I guess I've answered my question as to whether my improved sleep was due to the increased exercise or the melatonin.

About the increased exercise....I'm burning about 600 calories more per day than I did before counting my steps. I've gained 4 pounds. Evil or Very Mad Yeah, super! NOT! But I'm not throwing in the towel. I'm going to equate it to increased water retention due to the inflammation the exercise is likely causing.

On a positive note - it's RAINING here! Whohoo! Anything but snow! Very Happy

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:47 am

Ontario, so sorry about the gain, and you are probably right about the inflammation, unless you’ve used your intake of food. Also, if I go to something as you did with the wine and food, I retain fluid for that reason as well.

Raining here to , and a bit of warmth yesterday and today, but headed back to snow tonight Sad
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Or, you are gaining muscle...
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Whheeewwww......

That's me taking a really, long, cleansing breath. That thing I was dealing with that I didn't want to talk about? It involved a government body and their stance was that the law said XYZ and my stance was that it did NOT say, XYZ. We have been going back and forth. Yesterday I contacted a lawyer and then, low and behold, suddenly the government body calls me up with a, "oh, hey, sorry, but you were right". GAH! All that stress for nothing! I KNEW I was right! I can bloody well read the law! Anyway, it's over now and I can breathe. It was really stressful. I hate, hate, hate, that with government the average citizen is powerless without legal counsel. It's really not right.

So, anyway, I feel like someone lifted a hundred pound block off of my body. I am almost in disbelief as I have been dealing with this for about 18 months. I actually can't believe it's over. It's over and I was right all along.

Whew!

Saturday is my birthday - this is the best present I could possible have!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum