The Primal Intellectual

Page 24 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by AutumnTiger on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Me, too - love that pic.

What is with the veggie brigade this year, in Europe we had recall on frozen sweetcorn, which had listeria! We had some in as well because DH like it with bbq. Ours wasn't the stuff being recalled but I still opted out when it came to it.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Crazy --- why is Romaine lettuce the only thing carrying e-coli? Other crops get fertilized too - which I assume is the source of the bacteria.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:28 pm

Maybe cooking the others destroys the E. coli?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:54 pm

Gah! Terrible day! Let me explain.

I hate the Christmas tree. One, it's cluttery. I have a big problem with clutter. It makes me mental. Two, everyone always wants to rearrange  the entire livingroom for this God-awful piece of plastic. Three, it's ugly. It's like a giant pile of knickknacks (also something I don't have or like). So, every year the same argument breaks out between me and my daughter and husband. They want the tree up and sitting smack dab in the middle of my nice livingroom set up. If it were up to me we would have zero Christmas decorations.

There they were starting  to rearrange the furniture and I lost my cool, got angry and left to go to the grocery store. I came back and the tree is absent and the livingroom is untouched and apparently the tree is in the basement.

Now I'm torn. I feel bad for being such a bitch but I still hate the tree. I "won" but it doesn't feel like it.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Ontario wrote:Gah! Terrible day! Let me explain.

I hate the Christmas tree. One, it's cluttery. I have a big problem with clutter. It makes me mental. Two, everyone always wants to rearrange  the entire livingroom for this God-awful piece of plastic. Three, it's ugly. It's like a giant pile of knickknacks (also something I don't have or like). So, every year the same argument breaks out between me and my daughter and husband. They want the tree up and sitting smack dab in the middle of my nice livingroom set up. If it were up to me we would have zero Christmas decorations.

There they were starting  to rearrange the furniture and I lost my cool, got angry and left to go to the grocery store. I came back and the tree is absent and the livingroom is untouched and apparently the tree is in the basement.

Now I'm torn. I feel bad for being such a bitch but I still hate the tree. I "won" but it doesn't feel like it.

I feel your pain.  Sad I'm the same (little clutter/knick knacks, plus we used to have cats and now birds, not a good combination with a decorated tree in the same room...), however DH is too and DS doesn't care either, hence no tree, neither alive nor plastic. Parents used to have a real tree (and IL a fake one), always, it just isn't ours to duplicate, unlike my sisters.

Sounds like a 'lose-lose' situation in your case... not sure how to compromise... hope you'll find a solution.

Hugs.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:05 am

Ontario - one thought, how about a smaller tree in the living room? Not sure what size your’s is, but you could get something that would sit on a table top. No re-arranging except maybe a lamp. Less clutter due to it being smaller and DH and DD would still have a tree.

Just a thought.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:23 am

I talked to daughter last night and apologized for freaking out and stomping off. It really was uncalled for. But I still hate the tree. Is it weird that it actually gives me a feeling of anxiety? It literally makes me want to cry and I am not a crier by nature. I just hate it. Really and truly.

Anyway, we talked and worked out a compromise. One, there will be NO Christmas decorations in our house before the month of December. And it's coming down on Boxing Day (Dec 26th). Two, they are going to buy a new tree. One of the things I absolutely hate about the current tree is that it is plain old ugly. We used to have a real tree but then no one but daughter cared about it and she wanted a Tiffany Blue tree so we bought one. It actually fit the decor of our old house but this house is painted in a beach-blue colour and, well, obviously that does NOT fit in. So, a new tree it is. Three, they are not rearranging the furniture but only moving the buffet that is in the living room to accommodate the tree.

I will still hate it. I will. But it's better than what was going to happen. I feel so stupid wanting to cry over a tree. It's sounds ridiculous but it's how I feel about it. Normally I'm a pretty chill person but there is just something about the tree that I can not move past.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:43 am

Glad to hear you came to a compromise about the tree. Wondering is anything bad happened while owning that tree and it being up that is logged deep in your subconscious?
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:43 pm

I completely get the upset - total disruption and for what? Clutter, and for what? My MIL pretty much had a meltdown around decorations last year and I'm pretty sure that neither she nor those of us in the room at time will ever know what it was really about. I put it down to the stresses and emotional clutter the holidays can bring.
Glad you reached an acceptable compromise.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:05 pm

I can relate to the tree troubles - from a little different angle.  In my former marriage - I was the only one who cared about getting tree or decorating at all.  So, it was always 100% under my control.  What tree, where it went in the house and how it was decorated.  But coming in this new family - the rules were different.  Everything was out of my control.  The kids picked the tree, the kids stupid ugly disney and barbie decorations were all over the tree, the house was covered in all their ugly school made macaroni pictures and dirty old ratty looking stuffed animals and nativity set that was plastic and had missing parts.  Every year I would have such anxiety over going to the tree farm to get the tree.  We would follow these grade schoolers around a 5 acre field while they argued about what tree to get - and it always end up being the biggest, fattest, thickest tree on the farm - it would take up 1/2 our livingroom and was a giant ugly mess!  Hubby and I had a fight about it every single year. I couldn't wait till Christmas was over and I could take all the crap down!  I was so happy when they grew up and I could have control over the Christmas decorations again.  Now I love how the house is decorated! Smile

So don't be too hard on yourself.  I'm happy to hear you came to a "compromise" of sorts.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:17 am

tomi1000 wrote:I can relate to the tree troubles - from a little different angle.  In my former marriage - I was the only one who cared about getting tree or decorating at all.  So, it was always 100% under my control.  What tree, where it went in the house and how it was decorated.  But coming in this new family - the rules were different.  Everything was out of my control.  The kids picked the tree, the kids stupid ugly disney and barbie decorations were all over the tree, the house was covered in all their ugly school made macaroni pictures and dirty old ratty looking stuffed animals and nativity set that was plastic and had missing parts.  Every year I would have such anxiety over going to the tree farm to get the tree.  We would follow these grade schoolers around a 5 acre field while they argued about what tree to get - and it always end up being the biggest, fattest, thickest tree on the farm - it would take up 1/2 our livingroom and was a giant ugly mess!  Hubby and I had a fight about it every single year.  I couldn't wait till Christmas was over and I could take all the crap down!  I was so happy when they grew up and I could have control over the Christmas decorations again.  Now I love how the house is decorated!  Smile  

So don't be too hard on yourself.  I'm happy to hear you came to a "compromise" of sorts.

This makes me feel so sad... Sad the way you talk about your stepkids and their rituals... doesn't sound all that loving to me. Sorry. (I'm aware it's probably a temporary outburst and you're simply being honest about it)

Glad to hear you found a compromise to agree upon Ontario. It may not be perfect, but it's sounds lots better than the original plan. Smile Different traditions in different parts of the world... Christmas decorations didn't get out before the 15th (as my parents had their wedding anniversary on the 14th) and down the eve of Jan 6th (Three Kings Day), although when we all moved out it was indeed Dec 27th that everything got boxed and thrown out, as we celebrate 2 days here. It's the family time that counts, sharing meals and enjoying company, lovely conversations... you can do this. Wink

PS How's the keto going so far? Plenty of people feel pretty mellow eating that way, so... Cool
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:41 pm

I have the BEST hubby! Honestly, I do! You all know about the Christmas tree issue. Well, well.....Monday nights I take daughter to guitar lessons and we are gone for over two hours. Last night we came home and hubby and son had gone out, bought a brand new, stark white, 7.5 foot Christmas tree and set it up (without decorations so daughter could decorate it) and rearranged the living room in a way that actually works! They did A LOT of work to make this happen. I have to say, it's okay. Honestly, it actually looks good! He situated the sofas in such a way that it makes me want to buy a sectional just to keep the flow of that room going throughout the year. The sofas aren't perfectly ideal and a sectional would be perfect (we had been thinking of getting a sectional anyway and moving the existing sofas to the basement) but it really, really works! So, in the end, all's well the ends well! I'm happy, daughter is happy and hubby is happy that everyone else is happy. I told daughter I will help her decorate the tree and some other accents around the house on Saturday. Whew.....I'm glad we won't have to revisit this issue again next year!

I forgot to mention how our weekend was. It was great! We had old neighbours over for dinner. It was nice to see them. On Saturday we went to see Gordon Lightfoot in concert. He's a Canadian iconic folk/ballad singer. He's a big deal here up in the north. Wink He just turned 80 and we had never seen him so we thought we had better take advantage of the opportunity.

Lovebird.....no keto. If you remember from my post I wasn't really on board. Hubby decided he would wait. But we HAVE gone alcohol-free until Christmas.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Wow, Gordon Lightfoot is 80? How the heck did that happen? I love his voice. I hope it is still good.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:06 pm

M2M - I was thinking the same thing.

Ontario - I’m so glad the Christmas tree issue is all sorted and you found a new arrangement for you LR that you really, really love. Perfect
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 am

Meant2Move wrote:Wow, Gordon Lightfoot is 80? How the heck did that happen?  I love his voice. I hope it is still good.

Admittedly, he was a little mumbly on some parts. But overall, given his age, I think he still did a fabulous job. He was personable and funny and told a number of stories. I'm glad we got to see him. He was very ill a year or so ago. He had an aortic aneurysm that ruptured and lived through it!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:18 am

Gordon Lightfoot's song "The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is a truly haunting ballad about that actual 1975 shipwreck on Lake Superior. I think his best.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:43 am

Yes, Rig, that song always hits home for me. I grew up in a fishing town (in it's prime it was the largest freshwater fishing port in the world). In the 19 years I lived there, before moving out to go to University, there were three fishing boats go down over the years. No one who lived there was unaffected by not knowing someone who went down and lost their lives on the Great Lakes. When I hear that song it immediately takes me back to being 8 or 9 years old and watching the neighbour kids get the news that their dad's boat went down in the storm. I will never, ever, forget that in all my years.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:58 am

There is a beautiful museum at Whitefish Point with a lighthouse and a huge beach to comb. The Edmund Fitzgerald song is played during the informational gathering.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:33 pm

It's my Friday. Not much happening this weekend and for that I am glad. We've had a whirlwind of activity the last six weeks so I am glad to have an easy weekend with nothing to do.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. I rarely see an MD but I think it's warranted. TMI but...I'm on day 25 of a period. Not good! I am 46 (nearly 47) so it might be estrogen/progesterone imbalance. But I honestly suspect thyroid.I'm cold all the time, my resting heart rate is only 56 and prolonged bleeding is an indicator.  I guess we'll see. He'll likely send me for a whack of blood work and then go from there. I'm really not that concerned that it's super serious but obviously it has to be rectified. I already struggle with keeping up ferritin so this is definitely not helping. One way or another I'll get it sorted out.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Yikes! That is just nasty. Yep, I'd say you are headed for a boatload of tests, and I sure hope the results point to something clearly - and that can be reasonably treated.

Enjoy some downtime this weekend! I'd say comfort food is in order too.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:10 pm

I went through years of issues quite similar and then only a 3-4 days between. Ended in a hyster. Tried several other things. It’s not fun.

Hugs as you figure this out.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:03 am

Narrowminded wrote:I went through years of issues quite similar and then only a 3-4 days between.  Ended in a hyster.  Tried several other things.  It’s not fun.

Hugs as you figure this out.

How old were you when this happened?

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:37 am

I was 45 when I had the hyster. Problems probably started at 35ish. Not sure if primal would have helped, but that was many years before you even heard of primal. I’m 56 now.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:37 am

I am glad you are seeking medical assistance if not only to ease your worries.

Just having my hyster….having to wear pads again....still am. So forgot about the angst after so many years of freedom.

Hang in there for a fixable problem I am hoping for.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:01 pm

My mom and sis both had similar troubles, in both cases it was rather advanced endometriosis and ended with hysterectomies.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum