The Primal Intellectual

Page 23 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Sounds like a full packed weekend. I’m sorry you didn’t get to the movie, I’m also looking for a review. I love Queens music.

Good for DS, glad it was a safe drive both ways.

DD got over a foot of snow on Fri/sat she thinks. Said she took a foot off of her car. Don’t know what the official count was.

We are supposed to possibly get some snow tonight. However, according to the map they are showing, it may be just north of us. I too am not ready for snow.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:12 am

Reverse nut: note the brand, another reason to avoid Samsung. No doubt the cost was only several multiples of the same size conventional nut at the hardware store.

Smile A reverse nut is usually associated with something like the widget bracket (shown below). Very much an oldie, but a goodie, no eyestrain allowed.

Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Not much happening here today. Just another work day. We woke up to actual snow this morning. It's been snowing all day.

Son has his second last high school exam tonight. He gets them proctored as he did all his high school online through our provincial ministry's online high school. He only has this one tonight and then one on the 27th of November and then he's DONE! Whew! I will be so glad that "we" got him through high school. He's a great kid, but, Man, I've never met anyone who hated school more than this kid. If we didn't make him finish high school he would have quit when he was 16. He's always said he would rather be working than sitting in a classroom. He's going to finish with about an overall 85% average so he did okay. He swears this is it - no more school!

This morning I put a huge chuck roast in the Instant Pot on slow cook. I tossed in some chipotle,  harissa, cumin, chili powder, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and a bit of water. I will let it cook all day and then pull it apart tonight once it cools. The plan is to have some pulled beef to use for tomorrow and Thursday dinners. My family loves South American food so they will be all over this. I have some fresh cilantro and an avocado in the fridge that is up to the task.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Pretty to look at, but glad I do not have to live with it.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:53 am

Pedidoc wrote:Pretty to look at, but glad I do not have to live with it.

It does look great in your pic Ontario. I'm happy, looking out the window, to see the sun shine on the green and yellow leaves in the backyard. Temps are dropping, but so far no snow in sight. At least not close. Can't imagine what a long dark period would do to ones mood. Well I can, but it ain't pretty at all. *hugs*

That chuck roast sounds so yummy! Always nice to have something tasty waiting for you at home.

Glad to hear DS only has a few more weeks to go and has done well, regarding he hates it so much. Good for you two and him. Both kids sound like they get plenty of chances to do what they love, which is important.

What ever happened to your idea of posting pics or at least sharing your meals... such a great way of journaling, even if only for yourself.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:07 am

Lovebird wrote:

What ever happened to your idea of posting pics or at least sharing your meals... such a great way of journaling, even if only for yourself.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Yep, now THAT is accountability! Thanks for that! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I am not a "phone" person so it feels weird to me to take a pic of everything I eat. And, because it's not habit I often forget and then I do that whole thinking process of, "well, I can't post today because I forgot to take a pic of lunch, or dinner, etc etc". I know, it sounds stupid but that's my thought process. In the end, reading that last line it does make me realize that might be a big old excuse. Wink

I will try to do better!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Love the pic, but hoping I don’t see the snow anytime soon. Yeah right. Smile

So happy to hear DS just has 2 tests left. Good for him for finishing. He won’t regret it in the future.

Love the sound of that roast. Right up my alley.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:00 am

ONTARIO wrote:
I am not a "phone" person so it feels weird to me to take a pic of everything I eat. And, because it's not habit I often forget and then I do that whole thinking process of, "well, I can't post today because I forgot to take a pic of lunch, or dinner, etc etc". I know, it sounds stupid but that's my thought process. In the end, reading that last line it does make me realize that might be a big old excuse. Wink

I will try to do better!

As much as I'd love to see more meal pics... simply writing down everything you eat/drink is helpful enough. Ofcourse a picture is worth a thousand words... Laughing

You can do this!
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 am

I think I need to give up milk. Not dairy, but just milk. I have always been a milk-in-my-coffee type. I can't stand coffee black. But a few weeks back I was short on milk but had cream in the fridge so started using the cream. What I discovered was that I am not phlegmy and hacking after drinking coffee. I have been using cream since then. Today, however, it was the reverse - short on cream so I used milk. Here I am, at the office, constantly clearing my throat. There is definitely a connection. It also gives me post-nasal drip which makes me cough more.

It's cold here again today - Surprise, surprise. We're supposed to get a few inches of snow today and overnight. They are forecasting a messy commute tomorrow. It's a good thing I don't work Fridays. I will likely be driving son to work tomorrow as I'm not sure he's ready for a fully snowy road day just yet.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Cream is yummier anyway!
I find that too, some dairy makes me phlegmy, other not at all.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Good observation about milk.

Yeah we are supposed to get some of that storm here as well. Sad
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:56 pm

I think one of my first posts in TW's journal back in MDA was about the correlation between milk and phlegm build up.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:40 pm

The milk connection is a good one for you to make, especially if you don't have the issue with cream.

Crummy weather here, cold, mid 30's all day, overcast, a sprinkling of the white stuff, now being erased with an all day rain. I'd sure like to send it all to California where it would be appreciated.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm

ONTARIO wrote:Your life‘s purpose is not to lose weight or eat a perfect diet. Don’t make it your biggest life-waster either. #realtalkwithdana
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp0kS4shUoL/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

I like what a poster added - "heros_angel_I agree so much with this! But remember that 99 is a long term goal and we need a balanced diet if we will get there lol"

I like that aiming for health also downsizes us as a benefit.

I have no idea what it's like living in snow country. It looks beautiful from here. Curious what is winterizing?

Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote: Curious what is winterizing?

When one winterizes something - say, a camper, or anything with plumbing, you have to drain all the lines and then fill them with plumbing antifreeze. If you don't do this then the standing water in the drains or plumbing will freeze, expand, and burst the pipe.

When one winterizes other things like a lawnmower, you have to either empty the gasoline from it or put in a winter liquid stabilizer.

When you live in a winter climate there are many, many things to winterize. You only have to forget once - like leaving summer windshield washer fluid in your car during the first freeze Laughing - to realize how important it is.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:54 am

Another weekend over and back to work. We got out to see Bohemiam Rhapsody. It's a really great movie. It's worth the two hours of your life to watch it. It will surely be winning some awards this year. There are some inaccuracies in the timeline of things but overall it's a good film. The actor who plays Freddie Mercury is bang on. He did a really good job. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins an academy award for his performance.

We got the last of our winter preparedness done this past week and weekend. Snow tires are on both vehicles. Hubby installed a new tire rack in the garage to store the summer tires. We cleaned out the garage so we can at least park one vehicle in there (the other side of the garage has our camper in it). Tulips have been planted for the spring. All in all, we're ready (not ready!) for winter.

Hubby informs me yesterday he would like to go Keto and alcohol free for the one month period preceding Christmas. We are having guests for dinner on Friday so, supposedly we are starting keto on Saturday. We'll see. I've never done Keto before so I am a little apprehensive I can get through it. But, then again, it was hubby who started us on Primal all those years ago and I swore, back then, that I was only doing for a month. Wink Razz

Son is working a lot and actually driving himself to work and back (when he can have the car). So that is taking some pressure off of our time commitments. He's working a lot last week and this week as the owner is out of the country for two weeks and left him to deal with it on his own. I have to say he's getting A LOT out of this job. He's literally learning how to manage a dive shop. He's getting paid to be educated, in my opinion. And you can't beat a deal like that.

It's cold here. Today was the first of many for having to scrape the windows of the car. Ugh. But I am trying, very hard, to have a positive winter attitude this year. Trying....trying.........

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:04 am

I've also made the switch from milk to cream. I was advised to reduce dairy a long time ago when I used to suffer from sinusitis migraines. Those were the days of getting my calcium through skimmed milk and two diet yogurts per day to stave off the sweet cravings, feel like I'd had pudding, lots to eat, etc.

We also saw Bohemian Rhapsody last week. It hadn't been on my radar at all, but DH really wanted to see it so I just went along with it. I have to say I really enjoyed it and it was quite an eye-opener about questions I had never really thought to ask. I agree its worthy of the time investment Smile

I, too, have no idea what it is to live through a truly cold, snowy, winter. The temperatures, and snow falls, that are being discussed here, and the activities they cause, is making me very grateful I live in the relatively temperate UK. DH and I debate more to a completely temperate climate, as I loved it in Singapore - the constant temperatures and daylight hours etc, but he reckons we would miss the seasons, even as watered down as they are now!

Good luck with finding acceptance in the onset of winter.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Happy to hear you are now officially ready for winter - dare
I say the word?. I’ve grown up with is, and I still am never prepared. Don’t like it, not one little bit and don’t think I’d miss it either.

That is awesome for DS. He definitely is getting paid to learn, and it’s real life learning, not book knowledge that sometimes doesn’t transfer as well as it should.

I think you will do just fine with keto for a month. We can do anything for one month.

Trying to stay positive here too.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:34 pm

I love the sparkle and "play" aspects of winter - skiing (XC/telemark/downhill) and snowshoeing, even shoveling and making paths to get around the property. I get bogged down in the day to day of it - cold, dark, short days, ice, scraping windows... I want the Camelot thing where it is pretty and perfect and just goes away when not convenient!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:29 am

I love winter.  Everything M2M said too.  

Now that I have help with my driveway, shoveling isn't too bad when the real storms come.  And there are snowmen and igloos to make and sledding down my back hill.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:12 am

And don't forget all those wonderful overcast days so you don't sunburn, wearing all those heavy coats, refreshing your car's emergency kit, and the lovable gray sludge on the roads, with the added salt feature to help your car's finish along the way to total destruction. Aah, I remember Detroit, a city whose full portrait features brown and gray.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks for the pep talk, Rig - I needed that. Neutral

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:35 am

There is currently a recall on Romaine Lettuce in Canada right now. Apparently due to E-coli. We're still eating it at our house. We ate it last year when they recalled it as well. I mean, really, are you not supposed to eat your BAS? What?! Laughing Anyway, I saw this today as a result of the recall and it made me laugh. Just wanted to share:

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:42 am

The recall hit here today in the local news.

Cute.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:41 am

Love the pic. !
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content