The Primal Intellectual

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by Rig D on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:01 am

I would have been pretty steamed on that one. What did the person have to say when they came back?
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:09 am

Rig D wrote:I would have been pretty steamed on that one. What did the person have to say when they came back?

Oh, I was upset, too, but remained calm. Hubby went in and had both license plates, etc, called over the mall PA system. It was actually the guy who was legitimately parked (the brown van) that came out and moved for us. There were actually two other rows of three cars. One on each side of us. And when one would come out and leave I would watch 7 or 8 other cars come along and try to park there! I spent half an hour, while waiting, pointing out to those people why they couldn't park there. Let me tell ya'....Ontario has no risk of having an abundance of rocket scientists any time in the near future. Rolling Eyes

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:12 am

Happy New Year Ontario.

I can understand your DH's not so enthusiastic response! Good on keeping your resolution.

Some people!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:41 am

Geez...how long did you have to wait? Or did you have the other car towed? I would not have dealt with that very well...

I feel the same way about Michelle's cookbook - great food - the other stuff not so great. But I'll be diving into it this month on my Whole30 - no one does it as well as she does, not even the creator of the thing (Melissa Hartwig.)
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:08 am

Let me tell ya'....Ontario has no risk of having an abundance of rocket scientists any time in the near future
Not just in Ontario.  My Dad always said that you never will go broke underestimating the intelligence of the average American.

The all time classic cartoon on this theme from The Far Side:
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:32 pm

Well I’ve seen that happen at a local grocery, so no scientists here either.

Funniest one was when I was at a different grocery from the one mentioned above. This was a small parking lost, basically a circle one way. I get in my car to leave and there is a car sitting behind me. So I wait. It looked like he had thought maybe my spot was empty. I get out and go back to his car, thinking he wants my spot. I ask him to please back up as I cannot get out. He backs maybe a foot so I’m stuck. Finally he come to my window wondering why I’m not moving as he believes I’m in the exit. I show him that no the exit is down about 3 parking spots from where I am. By this point there is a long line of cars behind him. Finally everyone move and I can finally exit. What a fiasco.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Back to work! The holidays are over and it's back to real life. I'm actually glad. I like schedules and routine and making sure I keep my regular bedtime and eat my regular foods. I function better this way.

Woke up to read the obituaries to find out a family friend died on the 27th. He was a really good friend of hubby's parents and was pivotal to us in many really good real estate deals we did with him (he was a realtor). I always had such respect for him because he told it like it is. I am sad to see that he's gone. We'll be taking an extended lunch on Thursday to attend the funeral.

It's still really, really cold here. It's ridiculous. How many days until spring? Crying or Very sad

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:35 pm

Spring will come, but more cold and likely snow will come first...
Belated congrats on your anniversary and good for you for remaining calm about the parking nightmare. Eek!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 am

All I have to say today is that this is our weather forecast:

Multi-day snow squalls to bring up to 60-100cm to areas southeast of Lake Huron. Blizzard conditions are possible with wind gusts ranging from 40-60km/h. Dangerously cold temperatures will return to the region with wind chills close to -40c by Friday morning.It will also become quite windy starting tomorrow morning and combined with the heavy snowfall will produce blizzard-like conditions out on the roads. Road closures are almost certain around Lake Huron. If you plan to travel, please make sure to pack warm clothing in case you get stranded because very cold temperatures are expected the next few days.

60-100 cm is roughly 24-40 inches. Yeah for us! Evil or Very Mad

I guess we are going to be spending a lot of time inside together this weekend. Maybe I'll cook up a turkey. Might as well cook and have some meals in the freezer.

How fitting for the day of a funeral. Crying or Very sad

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Wow, I have to quit complaining about my cold weather here, it would seem like summer to you. Hang in there and stay warm. A turkey sounds like a great idea.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:37 pm

So much for global warming.

Meanwhile here we have pouring rain, which is welcome but not very summery.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 am

So Ontario, you are a Michigander too? I live near Ann Arbor.

Turkey this time of year always sounds good to me.

Shoveling is a good work out. Smile
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:32 pm

perennialpam wrote:So Ontario, you are a Michigander too?  I live near Ann Arbor.

Turkey this time of year always sounds good to me.  

Shoveling is a good work out.  Smile

Nope! I'm in Ontario.

Well, the snow has mostly just missed us for now. The lake streamers are just west of us. But it's not over yet so we'll see.

When I lived in Texas I used to laugh at them when they complained it was cold. I would tell them, "It's not cold until your nose hairs freeze together". And they didn't believe it could be so. Well, today I was out grocery shopping at 8am and, yep, frozen nose hair!!! The air literally takes your breath away.

Let's hope the snow stays west

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:52 pm

Frozen nose hair! It's been a long, long time. When we lived near Deee-troit in mid-winter you would inhale, you could feel the nose hairs freezing. I briefly had a mustache while there, I gave it up mid-winter when ice kept crystallizing in it from my breathing. Thoroughly disgusting.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Ordered a Garmin activity tracker today. In the meantime I pulled the pedometer out of the junk drawer. I'm officially addicted. It's 6:25pm and I just hit 11,000 steps.

In can totally see this becoming addictive. I have the food down but the exercise component is what I was still missing.

BTW, it started snowing.....were at about two and half feet so far. My Chihuahua is Not a fan. I keep shovelling for her short little self.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Hear ya on the frozen nose hairs!  Way back in 2001 I did my first 10K run on New Year’s Day when we lived here in Manitoba.  Was -40 with windchill (on a not particularly windy day).  Ice balls on eyelashes.  Somewhere we have a photo of that affraid

Good luck with the shoveling. We don’t have much snow so far, perhaps 10 cm buildup, but ice ruts on side streets due to the deep freeze. Apparently is supposed to be +1C tomorrow, but perhaps ice pellets overnight as it finally warms out.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:20 am

Snow Day! Well, half snow day for me......

All school busses are cancelled today. Both my kids are teens and cancelled busses means no one goes to school despite it being open. A school of 800 kids turns into a ghost town of 50 kids all sequestered to the library. What's the point of going?

Hubby and I are the only employees in his practice. And a snow day means hardly anyone will show up. So he told me to stay home this morning and my only mission is to drive half a kilometer to get gas for the snowblower. I'll wait a few hours for the roads to start being cleared. Hubby's normal 10 minute drive to work down a major road took 30 minutes at 30 km/h (18m/h). It's a mess out there! He'll come home for lunch and I'll go to work with him this afternoon.

I guess I'll spend the morning shovelling and doing laps around my island.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:22 am

Greensprout wrote:Hear ya on the frozen nose hairs!  Way back in 2001 I did my first 10K run on New Year’s Day when we lived here in Manitoba.  

Winterpeg? Laughing

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:00 am

Snow here too this morning. We made it out of the deep freeze to 34 del, but now it’s snowing and sleeting. Guess I’m joining that snow day.

Here’s to several laps around the island, of course the shoveling will rack up a few as well.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:49 am

Narrowminded wrote:Snow here too this morning. We made it out of the deep freeze to 34 del, but now it’s snowing and sleeting. Guess I’m joining that snow day.

Here’s to several laps around the island, of course the shoveling will rack up a few as well.

Yeah, we have the freezing rain now, too. I got in an hour and 15 minutes of shovelling. Now I'm tired.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 am

Sorry guys, 70 F here today. sunny
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 am

Freezing rain here. Air temp around 32F, ground temp is colder, so precip is freezing on the roads.

Pedidoc, you'll get your turn for lousy weather in August, 90's for both humidity and temperature (F). But I'd trade with you. This time of year do you guys get many snowbirds from Canada, Michigan, Ohio, etc down there? Just wondering if that is primarily a Florida thing.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Ontario, that was a great WO. I hate snow, but never minded the nice WO from shoveling as a change of pace.

Rig, your freezing rain made it here. We are having the same issue on the roads.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Sorry guys, 70 F here today. sunny

Same here, if not even a little more.

You guys are all so tough.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:03 pm

I must admit, I've got serious snow envy. We have yet to get any measurable snow this winter and it is getting scary here drought-wise.

I can also totally appreciate the doing steps around the kitchen island. Many an evening I'm a bit short by the time I get home and I'm jogging in place to finish up 10k.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum