The Primal Intellectual

Page 20 of 27 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23 ... 27  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:18 pm

I’ll bet your steps were nearly in after all that movement. Hope all is well.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:44 pm

He did fine! The assessor's findings still have to go to the quality assurance review board but he's not worried. The audit went well and the assessor was pleased.

Good!!!! Now two weeks until vacation!!!!!

Tomorrow we're off to the Turkey Regatta with son. Sunday we host Thanksgiving.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Have fun at the Turkey Regatta - may he will a turkey!  Great news about the audit, not that I had any doubt.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:19 am

Awesome News!

Have fun and much luck to DS. Hopefully he will provide Thanksgiving day Turkey. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:21 am

Congrats on the audit, all good!
Good fortune to your son at the regatta
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Funniest regatta we have ever attended. To start with it was meant for keel boats (we didn't  realize  this). For those that don't  sail I'll  simplify it to say that those are  typically large sailboats - often  with motors.  So, that being said son was the only dinghy - a teeny, tiny boat by comparison. The race started with zero wind and fog so heavy you could only see about 75 yards ahead. 32 boats started the race. 14 boats finished. This is what no wind results in. Three hours in we couldn't  find son at all through the binoculats. Turns out he was so far behind (figured as much since he was sailing a dinghy) and combined with the fog, and the barges out there, he virtually  disappeared. All the other boats got fed up, pulled down their  sails, and started motoring in. At this point we had to ask the safety boat to go find him or without a motor or wind he was looking  at 2 more hours to get back. I will admit we started to get a wee bit worried. He was still smiling when  they found him and throughout  his "tow of shame". LOL!!!!

In short, terrible  sailing  conditions and impossible  competition. But great, great people! Son loved every minute  of it! There was a lot of laughing today.

Funny part was the awards.....he was not only given his chicken, but, "a box of donuts because he used more calories and energy than any other sailor", and a gift basket, "for  having the biggest set of balls there". These are their  words!

Good times today. At the end the head of the sailing school asked if he might want to come next summer and instruct for them. They were impressed that he would come out on a crappy day, and then even think about competing against keel boats. It shows passion and grit. You know those " Toronto kids" I always refer to with the fancy boats and supreme coaching? That's THIS yacht club!!! This could be a big opportunity.

I've included a picture so you can see the size difference of the boats to him. The other boats were 30 to 60 feet with a crew of 4-8. Son's boat is 14 feet.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:32 pm

That is a great story. Congrats to your son.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:07 pm

Fantastic story, you must be very proud!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Ontario that’s is so awesome. He even ended up with a job offer, what more could you ask for? And 3 prizes.

What an amazing and wonderful day.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:06 am

Yesterday we hosted Thanksgiving. It was great. We certainty did partake in some non-primal foods (but all GF), but it was delicious. I'm a true sucker for stuffing so there is NO way I'm hosting Thanksgiving without it. I ate it and relished every single bite.

We met a couple young men at the regatta working toward the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. The cost to get there ---- $200,000. Most of it is from sponsorship money. I spent quite a bit of time speaking with the mother of one of the young men. She was quite helpful and informative. We made some very valuable connection this weekend.

Today is the statutory Thanksgiving holiday so everyone is off work. We're going to go see the new Dream Lottery home and maybe buy a ticket. It's always interesting to see the cool features in these homes. Other than that we're spending the day doing nothing and eating leftovers. I seldom have an easy day like this.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Enjoy!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:03 pm

Loved the story of the regatta. You've raised an admirable young man.

I too adore stuffing, what's the point of Thanksgiving without it?
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 pm

For you stuffing fanatics. Elana’s pantry has an excellent paleo bread, that I make each year. Uses almond flour. Then the stuffing is paleo and no worries Smile

Sounds like an excellent holiday. Enjoy seeing the Dream house, never was close enough to one here.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:45 am

Meant2Move wrote:Loved the story of the regatta. You've raised an admirable young man.

+1

Narrowminded wrote:For you stuffing fanatics. Elana’s pantry has an excellent paleo bread, that I make each year.  Uses almond flour.  Then the stuffing is paleo and no worries Smile

Bit late, or early, for Ontario. Smile

Suppose it's this one?:

https://elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/

Paleo Bread Recipe

Paleo Bread
Serves:1 loaf
Ingredients

2 cups blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
2 tablespoons coconut flour
¼ cup golden flaxmeal
¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Instructions

Pulse almond flour, coconut flour, flax, salt, and baking soda in a food processor
Pulse in eggs and vinegar, until combined
Transfer batter to a greased 7.5 x 3.5 inch magic line loaf pan or 7.5 x 3.75 inch fox run pan
Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes
Cool in the pan for 2 hours
Serve

Low-Carb Bread

I’ve updated this Paleo Bread recipe to reflect the way we now make it. If you would like to make the original recipe, just add one tablespoon coconut oil and one tablespoon honey. The bread is fantastic either way!

How To Store Paleo Bread

To store this easy Paleo Bread, wrap in a paper towel, seal in a plastic bag, and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:52 am

Yes, thank you for adding the link LB, that is the one I use. Makes wonderful stuffing and you don’t even notice.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm

This week is dedicated to working out an issue we are having with son's yacht club. As you all know he spent the summer training in sailing on a competitive team. Canada has certain sailing levels that are dictated by Sail Canada. There is a list of criteria that must be met to get your certification levels. And in order to be an instructor you have to have a certain level yourself AND complete a whole swack load of courses in order to instruct. This year son was completing the highest level of sailing - level 6.

The problem is that we heard at the end of August that there was a problem with the coach and that he had failed a module of his instructor courses. Therefore he couldn't sign off on the certificates because he "technically" is not a certified instructor through Sail Canada. He had planned to retake the course in Sept. Well, well, well, now we find out he can't take the course until the SPRING! NOT COOL! Evil or Very Mad  So, all in all, son has taken the course, spend allll summer training, we spent about $2500 for him to take it and he can not even get his level!!!!! And, of course, son NEEDS his level 6 certificate so he can register for instructor courses himself in the spring. In short, the club is causing him to NOT be able to take instructor courses and be employed.

This of course, is the yacht club's fault. THEY hired the instructor. THEY didn't do their due diligence in their hiring of instructors. So, as far as we're concerned THEY need to find an instructor to sign off on this or fix it. I had contacted them back in Sept and got a, "we can't divulge anything" approach to their response. This week I am getting more terse and demanding. I contacted all the other parents last night to explain what's happening and get a united front. They're all emailing the club this week as well.

My next step, if this is not rectified by the time we get back from vacation, is to threaten the club with contacting Sail Canada. If we do that then the club is in deep crappola for selling a course to five kids when they didn't have a qualified instructor. It will be very bad for the club.

So, this is my week....I HATE dealing with problems of other people's making.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:05 pm

If people would just do their job.....
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Pedidoc wrote:If people would just do their job.....

Oh my God, I KNOW! You have no idea how often I say that in a day! People make mistakes, stuff get's missed, I get that. It happens. None of us are perfect. But what bothers me is that the club has taken zero initiative to act maturely, call the parents and say, "Hey, we screwed up but we're fixing it." That alone would be comforting. But to just ignore the issue is less than professional.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Hate when those things happen. And it happens so very often.
It’s a shame and yes the club needs to fix this or refund the money. If they refuse both, yep time to contact Sail Canada. Fingers crossed.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:33 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Hate when those things happen.  And it happens so very often.  
It’s a shame and yes the club needs to fix this or refund the money.  If they refuse both, yep time to contact Sail Canada.  Fingers crossed.

The problem is that we Need the certification. He can't continue on without it. I would rather they find a way to get that done than refund the fees. As of this hour none of the three yacht club members that I emailed this morning has responded.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 pm

I do understand about the cert. I know he needs it and it will set him back if he does not get it. There should be a way for them to fix the issue. However I do know it would be hard for another instructor to sign off as they don’t know what has been taught. It’s terrible. Do they have other instructors there?
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 am

Today is my Friday. I think I will make a nice hash for dinner tonight. Who doesn't love Breakfast For Dinner? We call our rendition the "Mountain Man". Basically, I fry up some sausage and bacon, bell peppers and onions, and toss them in a pan. Then I top with some diced potatoes. Pop in the oven and when that is all cooked I crack a few eggs on top and put it back in. Once the eggs are still runny but otherwise done we pull it out and eat it. It's quite good!
We actually make this a lot when we camp.

Tomorrow son takes his driving test. If he passes he will be a licensed driver. I am concerned about him passing because he has zero motivation to drive. He's not a bad driver (he's been out with us for over a year with his beginners permit) but he also isn't really "into it" either. I guess we'll see.

I got some response from the yacht club. I guess that's what happens when you get the united front to bombard them with emails on the same day. Their plan is to ask last year's race coach to sign off on them. It's funny, this approach, because it requires the old guard (the crotchety old guys) of the club to eat some humble pie. Last season they royally pissed off the old coach (totally their fault!) and he left. That's a lesson in not burning your bridges. Son is friends with the old coach and plans to talk (beg) to him about it as well. The old coach is a wonderful young man but this really puts him in an awkward position, in my opinion. We'll see. It would be an easy solution. And, old coach does know son's sailing ability so he's not signing a certificate with a "blind" assessment.He coached son for two years previous to this summer.

I DO feel a bit bad for the guy at the club who is handling all this. You see, the director of the sailing school who is really responsible for the poor hiring and this whole mess moved to Europe mid-August due to a job transfer. Now the new director is left holding the bag. Regardless, it is a club problem and they need to fix it.

Hubby and I are taking MIL to the small town she grew up in on Saturday because they are having a butter tart festival. There will be no tarts for me as one, they would have to be Gluten Free, and two, I can make my own butter tarts for a fraction of the price if I so desired to have one. But it will be nice for MIL to go and then drive by the house she grew up in, etc.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 am

Several upsides on the yacht club thing: The new club guy was not involved, so should be able to chase things down from an objective perspective. The "old" coach is familiar with your son's ability. He might require your son to demonstrate whatever is new and advanced in the recent training, but I'd guess he'll come through for you, hopefully his favorable view of your son will outweigh the adverse nature of his club relationship.

Your son's indifference on driving is a strange mindset to me, although it seems to be fairly common. My GS will turn 16 in November, and also has no interest in driving. Beats me, back in the olden days, that driver's license was a passport to freedom and independence.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:50 am

Happy to hear they are trying to do something for the kids who took the course. Please keep us updated.

I have a nephew and niece who also had no desire to drive. Like Rig strange to me.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:51 am

Rig D wrote:
Your son's indifference on driving is a strange mindset to me, although it seems to be fairly common. My GS will turn 16 in November, and also has no interest in driving.  Beats me, back in the olden days, that driver's license was a passport to freedom and independence.

I agree. We are making him take the test. And I highly suspect that if he passes tomorrow and then requests a ride somewhere only to be met with a, "Well, you can take the car and drive yourself or the bus - your choice", it might make him change his views on driving very quickly. Wink I love that he has interests and he's not a lazy kid who sits around all day but I am tired of driving him everywhere!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 27 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum