The Primal Intellectual

Page 19 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 am

We'll see what today brings. I'm waiting on a call to see what time the appliance guy is coming. We bought a $4000 oven 2 years ago and it's not really worked right after about six months of having it. It doesn't keep a consistent temperature. It's terrible. Worst oven we've ever had. We bought the extended warranty and have had it repaired 3 times. Today we're forcing our hand with the warranty and want it replaced. Today's visit is for the repair guy to agree. Hopefully he easily agrees and it won't get ugly. It's a Samsung Duo Flex Induction Convection Range. I only mention it so no one will buy it if you come across it. When we bought it there were no reviews as it was a new model. Now there are plenty of reviews citing the same problem we are experiencing. We bought it at Lowe's and the warranty states that they'll replace its value with Lowe's gift cards.

Not sure if I'll make it into work - it will depend on the oven appointment time.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:59 am

Interesting about the Samsung oven. When we were looking at refrigerators 2 yrs ago, we really questioned people about them, and from too many we got the same kind of vibe, not really stated but indicated, that Samsungs are slick looking, lots of features, but have performance and reliability issues.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:35 am

Rig, you're pretty much bang on with that assessment. It does have a ton of features and it looks nice but not at all reliable. That's what you get buying an oven from an electronics company. Never again. The best oven we've had was a Kitchenaide. We're going back to that brand. We have our eye on one we want but we're waiting for the warranty company to make good on the deal. We'll buy it at Lowe's as I don't really need $4000 worth of Lowe's gift cards. That's a lot of light bulbs and hardware!

Out fridge is also Samsung but seems fine.

Appliance guy is coming between 12:30 and 2:30. Probably not going to make it to work.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:40 pm

I’m routing for you to get the replacement.

When I bought my washer the other day, the salesman there also warned to stay away from Samsung Washers.

Their TV’s are great, the rest of the stuff, not so sure.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:19 pm

The appliance guy came and went. It was one of the same guys we had before. Anyway, he has decided that all the components appear fine but it obviously isn't working properly. This is a good thing. It means it doesn't work and he doesn't know how to fix it. Funny thing, he is behind the stove and pulls out a piece of melted plastic that was the plastic connector between two wires with the little bits of wires in them. Something has melted off from somewhere! He said he will tell the warranty company it can't be fixed. Now we see what the warranty company does. At least we have one positive for us in that the repair guy is in agreement. I took a picture of his assessment he wrote down so I now have that in case the warranty company comes back and disagrees. We'll see.....

I did end up going to work as it was only 1pm when he left.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:11 pm

Crossing fingers for you.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:04 am

Hope you also got a picture of the melted connector. It would seem like your case should be accepted as is by the warranty folks. It'll say something about Lowes(t) if it rejected. I hope they come through for you, I like Lowes much better than Home Depot, but not quite as much as Menards
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:43 am

Today is my Friday. It's cold here. I woke up to it being 5 degrees (38 F). Gah! I am soooo not ready for this!

We are definitely going out to bring home son's sailboat this weekend. That is a "must happen". He has one last regatta out of town next weekend but we will tow from home. The club closes on the 13th of Oct anyway. So we would have to have the boat out of the water by that date anyway.

Next week is peer review (office audit) prep week. It happens on Friday the 5th. I just want to get it over with so we can move on. I hate stuff hanging over our heads. Also, this sounds terrible but having been self-employed our entire adult lives we're resentful of having someone tell us what to do. Yes, it sounds childish to say that but you become accustomed to the autonomy and not answering to anyone. Combine that with policies that are truly asinine (and don't really work in practice) it and makes me grumpy about the whole thing.

Tomorrow we go out to the abattoir to order half a cow we are splitting with SIL. That should stock up the freezer for a while.

Still keeping up on the steps.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Ontario I completely hear you on having to be told what to do, by those who are not in your office daily like you are.

Hopefully the boat move will be easy and uneventful.

Great job on the steps.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Gosh, never realized a self-owned/run company would have to undergo an audit.  I always hated the audits I had to help with in the Finance Department of the county government I worked.  

Good idea to get that boat out early...just in case of some surprise.  

I am jealous of everyone's steps.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Pam, hubby is a Chiropractor . In Canada they are considered primary care physicians . That means they are also subject to government scrutiny like medical doctors and dentists, etc. So, in short, it's an audit by the governing body. Everyone has to do them at some point. It just happens to be our turn.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:15 am

Shame on corporations like Samsung.  No excuse for shoddy workmanship and crap materials.  

I'm, actually, still hanging onto my parents fridge.  I trust analog much much more.  It's 30 year old Kenmore and despite several issues like warped seals it's still freezing like a champ.  When I get a stove I'll probably get a restored vintage model….
Does that make me a luddite?  Only with appliances.  
I do hope you get your replacement and may the audit be over and done with by the time this posts.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:11 pm

The audit happens Friday. I just want Friday to get here and be done with it.

Our oven was approved! So, that means we'll be oven shopping soon. We have a vacation booked in three weeks so there's a fair chance we'll wait until we get back to get the new oven.

Other than that...nothing happening here.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Yeah for the new oven!

Crossing fingers for the audit.

Hugs
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Putting in the last efforts for the office audit on Friday. Tomorrow will be cleaning day and making sure everything sparkles. I'm generally a neat freak and sanitary freak (read: germaphobe) but I'm going the extra mile - you know first impressions and all!

Steps are still going well. Food is also good.

Speaking of food.....I am a cookbook collector. What that really means is that I have a ton of cookbooks I have read but have made very few recipes from. Wink I have made myself a promise that once we get back from vacation (on Oct 27th) I am going to start working through the paleo cookbooks. I might even make notes on every recipe and share them/review them in some internet form. I don't mind cooking and am responsible for pretty much all the meals Monday through Thursday (hubby cooks a lot of gourmet meals on the weekends) but I hate deciding what to cook. The cookbooks should help with that.

This weekend is our Thanksgiving. Son is going to a fun regatta on Saturday - a Turkey Regatta. All entrants get chickens but those who place/win get turkeys. It should be great fun for him as it's not serious at all.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:50 pm

I love cookbooks, but I never follow recipes, I just use them for inspiration and ideas... makes my husband crazy. I'll make something he likes, he will ask if I can recreate it... I generally have to say "Maybe?".

Hope all goes well with the audit.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:23 pm

I do the same with cookbooks. Some I do use, others not so much or at all.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:11 am

Good luck with your audit today. Knowing you, you come well prepared, however a little luck never hurt anyone. Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:49 am

Hope the audit is done quickly and painlessly.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:01 am

Today's the day! I'm wishing hubby all the luck. Although it's an office audit of all our records they only meet with the chiropractor. So as of last night when I left the office my work was done. There's nothing more I can do - it's all up to hubby now. He's nervous because he really cares about his business and wants to do a good job. He's such a great chiropractor. He genuinely cares about his patients. It's like a big, old, extended family at our office. We know their anniversaries, the names of their kids and grandkids, where they're going on vacation, their pets,  if they're house shopping, etc, etc. And they all know what our kids are up to and where we're vacationing, what we're doing on the weekend, etc. Heck, we've gone on a cruise to find a bottle of wine in our cabin that a patient organised through the cruise line! Patients were watching coverage of son at the Ontario Summer Games and routing for him. So, yes, it's personal for hubby and he wants to do a great job.

Today I will drive daughter to school and, later, son to work. Then I'll cut the grass. Hubby usually does this but I want him to be able to come home and just chill. Then I'll do some grocery shopping. Of course, it wouldn't be a full day without laundry. Wink
Then I'll prep dinner and hopefully hubby will be home mid-afternoon and we can sit and enjoy a "thank God that's done", glass of wine together. My steps will have to get in there somewhere as well.

Last edited by ONTARIO on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:49 am

And we all hope that you can add "and thankfully it went well." with that wine.
Hope your husband is in fine form for the session.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:51 am

Good plan for your day. Thoughts and prayers going up for DH today.

I think cutting the grass will add a good number of steps to your day. Smile. And running back and forth to the laundry etc.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Hoping all goes well!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Still waiting on hubby but I've had a very productive day. Took daughter to school, ate breakfast, cut the grass, cleaned the powder room and master bathroom, took son to Walmart for new pants and to pick up a few groceries, drove son to work, stopped at another grocery store for upper-end items, bought wine at liquor store, changed the sheets, did a load of laundry, prepped some salads for dinner and now just sitting down with a cup of coffee. Whew!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Keeping busy will hopefully make the wait go faster.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum