The Primal Intellectual

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:36 pm

perennialpam wrote:Good for you taking on that duty which will be so helpful.  

I had no idea it was training daily and weekend regattas.  

Great way to keep kids busy and involved.  

Yep, he literally sails every day in July and August. He also sails every weekend in May, June, and Sept. A few days get squeezed in in October, weather permitting. The club is open 4.5 months a year and they probably sail 80 to 90 days of that.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:49 pm

That is a full schedule. I took on the roll you have many of DS’s hockey team years. Some work, a lot of fun and very needed. Congrats to you for stepping up
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:42 pm

Hot here today. It's 42 with the humidex (109 F). Didn't do much other than sit in the shade, very still, on the deck.

Hubby got his usual Father's Day gifts of items that relate to cooking. He loves to cook.

We're currently sitting on the deck drooling over the smell of our two rotisserie chickens cooking on the grill. Monday's are always busy for us and we aren't all home at the same time for dinner on Monday so I try to have lots of leftovers from Sunday.

Happy Father's Day to all the dedicated dads out there. My kids hit the jackpot on that one! Very Happy

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 pm

It's been warm here this week. I LOVE it! Bring on summer!

Interesting observation...... I started doing my 10,000 steps per day walking on January 4th of this year. I haven't really seen the scale move all that much. I've only lost about 7 pounds. And, if you add up the calories I have spent walking, despite not having changed my diet, I should have lost more weight. Well, last year I bought a couple pairs of jean capris. Since it's been so warm here I dug them out of the closet. They fit MUCH better than they did last year. I have definitely lost fat. I must have gained some muscle from all the walking. Needless to say, I am pretty happy about the change in body composition.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:51 pm

Thats awesome! Smile another indication that the scale is not a good tool.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Great nonscale win!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:22 pm

The heavy duty weight trainers will say that it is really hard to do body recomposition, but I've never understood that mindset. It is subtle, but totally doable. Well done!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:59 pm

Congrats. I always find clothes fitting better a much bigger reward than the scale. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:31 am

What a freaking night. Evil or Very Mad

At 12:45am the whole house was up as the smoke detectors went off. We live in a new house and all the to-code smoke detectors here not only have that shrill sound but a strobe-type light that also goes off. My GOD! It's not only a incredibly shocking moment but it is very disorienting with the strobe lights.

Up we all were, running around the house trying to see where the source of this smoke was. Nothing. There was nothing and the alarms went off on their own about a minute after they started. Back to bed we all went after we calmed down the animals and son's bird. The poor bird was panting it was so frightened.

1:30am.....AGAIN! This time we did the look around again and then took them down. We found one that, instead of having a constant green light had a red light. It is obviously malfunctioning and set them all off as they are hard-wired and "talk" to one another.

We get up at 6:20am so there wasn't too much sleep happening at our house last night. It's hard to go back to sleep when you're body is so jazzed up. The worst part is that we think hubby broke his big toe in the chaos. The first time it went off he shot up out of bed and out of the bedroom and stumbled on the dresser in the process. Of course, he said as well that the strobe light made it hard to navigate.

The ONLY good thing today is that Canada passed bill C-45 - the Marijuana legalization bill. We have A LOT of pot stocks that we purchased the last few years in anticipation of this happening. It should be a good financial week for us.

So tired.....

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:26 am

So with your new riches you will be changing your handle to Queen Mary Jane?
Thank goodness your new home is right up there with the latest technology. Who needs a good night's sleep anyway?
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 am

Rig D wrote:So with your new riches you will be changing your handle to Queen Mary Jane?
Thank goodness your new home is right up there with the latest technology. Who needs a good night's sleep anyway?

Funny guy! Wink

I have kids - therefore I have no money. Wink You know how it is!

The smoke alarms have strobe lights due to the disability act. The lights are for deaf people. But, honestly, why do we ALL have to have them? Couldn't you just get them if you were deaf? I'm quite serious when I say they were disorienting. Even my teenage daughter was talking about them this morning. She was saying how she was worried she was going to fall down the stairs because she couldn't maintain her focus when they were going off. I seriously think they are a detriment rather than helpful. I can only imagine how much worse they would be if there was actually smoke. At least last night when they were going off there was ambient light from outside - street lights, the moon, etc. If there really was smoke those lights would make it really, really hard to see and focus.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Ontario so sorry for your bad night with those alarms. They are quite startling. I will lend a tip though. My house is 6 years old. Moved in it new and have those same connected smoke alarms. Over this past 6 mo or so, 2 of my smoke alarms bit the dust. So I went on Amazon after the second one went and ordered enough to replace the whole lot that was left. I didn’t change them all, but I have stock now if one goes. While I didn’t have them all go off at once, that has happened, the annoying beep, beep, beep of a broken one was annoying enough. And yes they always broke in the middle of the night.

I’d write to the manufacturer and complain about the strobes, maybe the gov’t too. Let them know if there had been a fire, you would have perished in it, because you could not see right to get out.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Oh dear! Rough night for sure! I hope hubby's toe is okay.

Pot stock ............. wish I would have thought of that before Oregon legalized it. Wink
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:20 am

Heck, I'm glad you spoke of stock in pot. I am pretty sure MI is going to pass it come November. I'll start looking. May be too late...

Gosh, what a night you had.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:03 am

The smoke alarms have strobe lights due to the disability act. The lights are for deaf people. But, honestly, why do we ALL have to have them? Couldn't you just get them if you were deaf? I'm quite serious when I say they were disorienting.

For the same reason that here in the USA, under Obummercare, I was covered for pregnancy. Who cares if it is appropriate or not. The FedGov is just looking out for you. Once they find you, you are an easy take-out candidate. Let's see, heavy smoke, bright strobe lights, and possibly stairs. Good luck.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm

It's Thursday so that means it's my Friday. We have a pretty easy weekend ahead. We share hosting dinner parties with another couple. It's our turn to host this weekend. We love to host so it's not a big deal to us. This weekend the theme is "Tour of Asia". It should be interesting.

Son is away diving in Ohio. I'm a little nervous about it as it's his first real trip away without us. He just turned 18 and he's a smart kid so I think he'll be okay. But I still have mom anxiety! He's diving with his instructors so he should, at least, be safe!

Daughter is under the weather. I actually took her to the doctor today. This is only the second time she's ever seen an MD (the first was after she fell tobogganing and we worried she had a skull fracture as she looked like the Elephant Man). We suspected she might have strep. She does. She's on her very first prescription drug and antibiotic. She'll be 15 next month. I'd say she's had a pretty good, healthy run in life never to have been on a prescription before! Still, it sucks for her. I feel so bad for her. I hope she mends soon.

Tonight is Breakfast for Dinner - one of my fave meals.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Wow that’s fantastic that this is DD’s first antibiotic at 15, amazing.

Hugs I know how it feels to be a Mom of a grown child.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Daughter is on the mend. Now she's in exams. I can not believe my youngest is finished grade nine! Gosh, time flies by! She's such an academic. Her last exam is on Wednesday and then on July 3rd she starts summer school. She took summer school last year, as well. She does her English credit for that year during the summer so she has more options for courses during the school year. Next year (grade 10) she is able to take grade 11 chemistry because she made room by completing summer school courses. This girl is going places, let me tell you!

Son made it home alive after diving in Ohio all weekend. I was pretty happy to see them pull in the driveway on Sunday. What a crazy kid. We sent him with $200 for food. He was gone all of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Get this - he spent a mere $31 while away! WHAT?! I guess on the first night they all went out for dinner. He had some chicken that another guy picked up the bill for. The rest of the time??? He didn't want to eat crap so he went to the grocery store with his cooler and bought a bunch of food and ate that all weekend instead of restaurant food. Oh, well, at least he ate healthy!

This weekend we are off to Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto. Son is diving in the shark tank. Shocked

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:58 pm

^ Diving in the shark tank sounds like a big deal, how did manage to get to do that?
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Ontario - my DIL is from Honduras.  She and her dad and sibs, go diving with the sharks, and they do it in the ocean off the coast.  I have never attempted a dive, not sure I’d go with sharks. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:08 pm

Rig D wrote:^ Diving in the shark tank sounds like a big deal, how did manage to get to do that?

All you need is SCUBA certification and then parents who pay for the dive and give it to you for your birthday. Wink

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Ontario - my DIL is from Honduras.  She and her dad and sibs, go diving with the sharks, and they do it in the ocean off the coast.  I have never attempted a dive, not sure I’d go with sharks. Smile

I personally think it's freaking INSANE! NO! Just NO! But there are crazy people like your DIL's family and my son who are more than willing. I have an aversion to swimming with anything that can and will eat me. It seems like a pretty common sense philosophy to me. Wink

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:06 pm

diving with sharks = playing Russian Roulette in my mind. NO FREAKIN' WAY! The plus side of diving at the Aquarium is that well fed sharks are not likely to bite. But I bet your son is pretty pumped about the opportunity.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:29 pm

tomi1000 wrote:diving with sharks = playing Russian Roulette in my mind.  NO FREAKIN' WAY!  The plus side of diving at the Aquarium is that well fed sharks are not likely to bite.  But I bet your son is pretty pumped about the opportunity.  

He is pumped. Apparently there are only two divers allowed. Plus they have a divemaster (which my son is already qualified as) and then a shark tamer. What you said is true. Son also said the same thing - that these sharks are not a concern as they are already well fed because you can't have them eating the other fish in the tank, or each other.

I still maintain it's insane. What a Face

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Insane for sure! But - some people need those adrenaline rushes! Me - not so much.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum