The Primal Intellectual

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by ONTARIO on Tue May 22, 2018 4:23 pm

Rig D wrote:Do you Canadians verify ID to vote?  We have it vary all over by state on how strict (if any thing is done at all) to ensure the integrity of the vote.

I feel fortunate here in Ohio that our poll workers check your ID and address to ensure we aren't having the "vote early, vote often" syndrome. Or having all your dead friends show up to vote.

Yes, for the most part it is controlled. First, we send out voter registration cards and voters are encouraged to bring those with them. However, you can vote with just ID and proof of address.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Congrats on getting the boat done. I’m sure DS will be very, very happy.

I’m jealous of your camp coming up this weekend. Wish I were joining you. Have tons of fun.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Camping was great. My son's sailing with the 20 scouts he took out went very well. The kids had a blast and we even managed to get one of the scouts signed up for summer sailing classes with son's yacht club. Even better - he took out his boat this weekend (the one we repaired) and it was dry as a bone in the hull. We're pretty pleased about that!

The bugs are horrendous this year. Gah! I have so many bites! I hate applying bug spray or sunscreen, etc. But I broke down and sprayed with some kid's bug spray (a wee bit less concentrated) just to get the little buggers to stop feeding off of me. I guess that's what we get for a "warmer" winter and a rain-filled spring.

I am looking forward to the end of June. It means that son will be done high-school. And that means good things and much more free time for me. He has a learning disability. You would never know it to speak or interact with him. He is of above-average intelligence but he struggles with academics. He's a "doer" and not a sit-in-the-class-staring-at-a-chalkboard type of kid. He just doesn't excel in the normal high school model. The last two years he's been completing his schooling online through a ministry approved curriculum based online high school. Anyway, I check allll his work before submission. Which, of course, means I have to know the work first. I swear I should get a second high school diploma out of all this. But, he'll be done. We got him through high school. Finally.

Anyway, this is all exciting for me because I feel that in the last while I've been putting myself behind everyone else. I want to get back to reading primal/paleo recipes and trying new things. I want to have time to  go for a walk each evening instead of fitting in my steps inside at work or home.

Interesting......my daughter (almost 15) has been taking a food and nutrition class in school. It's been pretty good, so far. I was surprised to see the focus on the impact of sugar and the importance of protein in the diet. She's suddenly seemed interested in taking up a more healthy lifestyle. Sure, she eats pretty well because hubby and I eat well but I can't control her when she and her friends go over and visit McD's at school lunch break or they pick up poutine in the cafeteria. So I'm happy to see her independently wanting this for herself. I hope to include her in getting back to my cookbooks and finding primal recipes.

That's all that's happening here. I'll have to stalk the rest of you on your journals to see what's happening in your world.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Ontario - sounds like a wonderful and awesome weekend.

Congrats on the perfect boat repair.

Congrats to your DS as well for completing and graduating. It’s a bitter sweet moment.

Good for your DD learning and applying the healthier eating.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue May 29, 2018 4:17 pm

Good job in finding what works best for your son. I went through a similar thing - highly intelligent, under achiever who felt no need to prove to the state that he was smart. Can you believe a boy with a 142 IQ could flunk out school, yet never miss a single class? I ended up putting him into an accelerated curriculum school his last 2 years of HS. He graduated! He's doing great now - earning a good living and owns 2 houses. He's 32.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue May 29, 2018 5:01 pm

tomi1000 wrote:Good job in finding what works best for your son.  I went through a similar thing - highly intelligent, under achiever who felt no need to prove to the state that he was smart.  Can you believe a boy with a 142 IQ could flunk out school, yet never miss a single class?  I ended up putting him into an accelerated curriculum school his last 2 years of HS.  He graduated!  He's doing great now - earning a good living and owns 2 houses.  He's 32.

Thank you for the story of your son. It makes me realize my own son will be okay. Really I know he will. He's a great kid who is very smart and quite accomplished for his age. I only wish the school system was better at identifying these kids and telling parents that there are alternatives rather than making the families figure it out themselves. I often see drop-out kids or young people with problems as a result of dropping out and I feel bad for them. Because, honestly, that would be MY son if he didn't have educated, caring parents. My son actually had perfect attendance but maintained a 60 average. Once we pulled him out and he studied at home he hasn't had a final grade less than 80. It's crazy what happens when you find an environment that works for the individual.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue May 29, 2018 9:03 pm

Yes, Tomi, I could believe that! One of my kids was in that select group that made the top 90% of the HS class possible. Absolutely no motivation and really hated being in school. She was grounded for pretty much her senior year. In one meeting with her HS math teacher to talk about her solid D I asked if she wasn't trying or was she not smart enough to handle the work. His reply was pretty much as follows: "Oh there's no doubt she's smart enough. There's no way she could be doing as well as she is with the effort she's putting into it if she wasn't real smart." Today she's a LPN, working on her RN degree and carrying a 4.0 gpa. Amazing what a little time, maturity, and motivation will do. In her case, better being late than not arriving at all.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue May 29, 2018 9:48 pm

Ontario, Tomi and Rig -- outstanding family stories. Thanks for sharing.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Wed May 30, 2018 12:44 am

My son was the same way. We didn't know if he'd graduate high school until the day before. One of his teachers relented and gave him a passing D-, allowing him to graduate.

He is a self taught techie, has a great job, and just recently took over his boss' job earning a good promotion and salary increase.

My daughters(twins), on the other hand, were great students. One was a valedictorian of their graduating class, taking every AP class offered and always getting A's. The other one was not far behind.

The second daughter really excelled in college, earning the president's award for her overall senior thesis-- both academic and artistic ability. She is now the staff UX designer for a global company.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 am

One thing I will say about the public education system is that a lot of it is a monumental waste of time whose sole purpose is to create "busy work" for kids. I am intimately acquainted with pretty much all of the course work my son has completed during his entire high school time. I would say that kids could easily complete high school in a year, maybe a year and a half. Most of every subject, with the exception of math and English, is compromised of filler that really doesn't need to be taught and is already part of their knowledge base as anyone who has the mental acuity to possess common sense.

Case in point......in one of his last classes he had to do a project on planning a wedding from start to finish. This included hall rental, catering, serving dishes, table toppers, DJ, photographer, etc etc. I've surely never taken this course and neither have most people I know but I'm going to wager we could all figure out how to plan a wedding, or anniversary or birthday party if needed. Meanwhile, he has about 20 hours invested in this project. And they wonder why kids like him find school trivial and boring. Rolling Eyes

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu May 31, 2018 4:48 pm

Ontario if they also have to figure out cost for all the items for the Wedding, it could come in useful for him deciding to have a very small wedding or foregoing different areas when he realizes what things actually cost. Could save you or his brides family some money. I will say that at least here, maybe times the couple getting married has grand ideas about what they want and just expect their parents to foot the bill. While anyone could plan a wedding, whatever, knowing cost might make it at least partly redeemable.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu May 31, 2018 8:44 pm

I remember having to do a "real" budget with housing, utilities, food, and whatnot in high school economics. I did something similar with each of my sons.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:39 am

I worked for Eastern Michigan University and their women's group annually hosted an event for children around the age of 14. They would go through the session by finding out if they were single, married, married with children. They would go to each area and get a card telling them what an apartment, home with mortgage, utilities, etc. cost. It was an eye opener for these children and they enjoyed it. However, it was a one day event. I volunteered to work and was glad I did. I never had anything that practical in my own primary school education.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:25 am

Pedidoc wrote:I remember having to do a "real" budget with housing, utilities, food, and whatnot in high school economics.  I did something similar with each of my sons.

That, I agree with! I actually had my son take a basic budgeting course. It discussed different bank accounts, types of loans, payroll deductions, interest, taxes, etc. I think that course should be compulsory. Sadly, that course falls under the "locally developed" level of courses (here it goes..... academic, applied, locally developed). While my son is not in the locally developed stream I thought the course pertinent. It's one of the most useful courses he's taken, IMO. I say, "sadly" because most kids in academic or applied stream will never take that course because they will feel it's beneath them. Meanwhile, they'll graduate knowing complex math and chemistry but not understand payroll deductions. That type of course should be mandatory. Pedidoc - good for you for teaching your kids this! Another thing Ontario no longer teaches is cursive. Kids here, literally can not sign their names unless a parent teaches them.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:29 am

perennialpam wrote: I never had anything that practical in my own primary school education.  

In Ontario education used to have a lot of practical components. When I was in school it was mandatory that girls took home economics and learned to cook and sew. And boys had to learn how to do basic home maintenance and small engine repair. I wish they still did that - although without the sexist boundaries.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:12 am

ONTARIO wrote:Another thing Ontario no longer teaches is cursive. Kids here, literally cannot sign their names unless a parent teaches them.

I learned beautiful Italian Copperplate cursive in the 1st and 2nd grade in Italy (they do not teach printing). When we moved back to the States, I was told I had to print that cursive was not taught until 4th grade. I had to teach myself to print and basically rebelled against cursive because what I had known was so much better and I was not allowed to use it.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:16 am

My youngest was the only one of my 4 who took a HS class that was in the line of "everyday living." She says it was a very valuable course, covered all kinds of stuff like managing credit cards, managing bank accounts, interest info, reading contracts, etc and so forth. Don't know if it still offered, but this type of course is definitely worth getting your kids in if available. It will, at worst, reinforce those home lessons in daily living the parents provide, and will come from a source the kids are likely to listen to, vs their "out of touch" parents.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:37 pm

In the ideal world......... parents would teach their children these daily life lessons. But, we all know thats not the case - the schools need to pick up the slack here. I learned basic cooking, sewing, woodworking, and economics in school. Its sad that these things have been cut from the curriculum.

Weddings can be ridiculously expensive - and a breakdown of expenses is an absolute must in the planning process.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:29 pm

Found a great deal on meat today. Seven steaks and three roasts for $35.00. And I got $3.50 back in points. Love it when you come upon a deal like that!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:09 pm

You must have a freezer! A nice deep freeze is on my "someday" list.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:46 pm

MEAT! When we get moved, we’re going to look into buying part of a cow.

I wish I had been taught finances in school, would have saved me a lot of grief.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:24 pm

Awesome meat haul. Great job “hunting” today Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 am

Great weekend! Weather was fair. We had a bit of rain but the garden needed it so you won't find me complaining about that!

Interesting food thing happened this weekend. We were celebrating the last of the boys' birthdays (hubby and son - both on the same day) as we hadn't celebrated with his family yet. Anyway, they requested this cake that we affectionately have named "three-day cake" as it takes about three days to make it. Anyway, it is a loaded cake. I think the calories per slice are upwards of 700. Yeah, it's a nutritional nightmare. So, I made the cake, and served it at the party. I had a small slice myself because, well, I believe in living a little on important holidays and celebrations but not as an every day thing.

I didn't really like the cake. It was just too much. Too much sugar. Too much fat. Just too much. I used to love that cake. I ended up eating two forkfuls and realized I just didn't want it and I was only eating it to be part of the celebration. So I put my fork down and drank my tea.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Awesome WIN! Yeah!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:15 pm

I second that win.