The Primal Intellectual

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by Rig D on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:08 am

That's funny. You have my deep sympathy. Long ago I worked with a Canadian from, I believe, Winnipeg and he told me that the parking meters have dip stick oil heaters. Now, I may one leg much longer than the other after that story, but he swore it was true. Anyplace with that is way, way too cold for me. Perhaps it was Winterpeg, as I think someone here posted sometime back.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Love the pic. What it’s feeling like here this year.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Rig D wrote:That's funny. You have my deep sympathy. Long ago I worked with a Canadian from, I believe, Winnipeg and he told me that the parking meters have dip stick oil heaters. Now, I may one leg much longer than the other after that story, but he swore it was true. Anyplace with that is way, way too cold for me. Perhaps it was Winterpeg, as I think someone here posted sometime back.

Dunno about that, living in Winterpeg, but many workplace parking lot spaces have block heater plug ins, is normal to carry a heavy duty extension cord in the car all winter. Oh yay. Better than 25 years ago living in northern Alberta when on 12 hour shifts (particularly nights) we would run outside to run outr cars for 15-20 min several times per shift so they would start when it was time to leave. In those days, only the “management” had parking spots with plug ins.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:52 am

^Definitely makes the case that it is way too cold for my thin blood. Plug in device sounds like a much better approach than the oil thing, my memory must be off on the story I heard.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:37 am

Hey Ontario... hope all is well in your world and you're simply too busy to keep your journal up to date. Taking breaks from information overload is good and device free weekends make valuable family time so much better.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed May 02, 2018 10:57 am

Lovebird wrote:Hey Ontario... hope all is well in your world and you're simply too busy to keep your journal up to date. Taking breaks from information overload is good and device free weekends make valuable family time so much better.

I'm still here. Smile Thanks for checking on me. You made my ears ring because last night I was sitting on my deck thinking I actually FEEL like getting back into the forum and my journal. I say, "feel", because, well, I have been feeling sort of just fed up and frustrated. Mostly this is because of the damned weather. It's VERY hard to live in a colder climate and stay feeling energized and positive when you are in your SIXTH month of winter. It's really hard. And I was starting to feel just so damned unmotivated with a crappy attitude.

But then....

SPRING CAME!!!!!

Yes, it finally came! It's only been about 4 days so far but it's actually here! There are buds on the trees, the grass is green, the snow is gone, the temperature today is 26 celcius (80 F). It's absolutely wonderful!!!

Just last week we had snow. And the week before that we had a horrible ice storm and more snow. This year winter started at the end of October and lasted until just five days ago. That's six months of winter. SIX! That's enough to make anyone depressed.

The moods of people here now..... Razz ...everyone is so happy and positive and smiling. We're all wearing sandals and short sleeves. It's WONDERFUL!

From a Primal standpoint it's good as well. I can finally, after about 7 or 8 months, go out and feel the grass under my feet. I can go out and actually get sunshine on my skin (without getting frostbite). And it makes me want to eat better and seek out nice vegetables and leafy greens. It makes me want to go for a walk because now I'm not sliding around on ice or slushy snow. It's just good, good, good!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed May 02, 2018 11:33 am

Glad to see you back. Yes, Spring has arrived. I've had to mow the grass a couple of times. It seems like temps in the 50's-low70's (F) with a good bit of rain are really conducive to grass growth. Wow, we are on day 3 of temps in the 70's and almost total sunshine!
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed May 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Ontario I’m there with you on the weather. We had almost as long of winter as you. I’m so thankful for the sun and heat.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed May 02, 2018 10:13 pm

It is a bad winter when Houston gets snow twice!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu May 03, 2018 4:43 am

So glad you're back AND enjoying spring!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu May 03, 2018 9:41 am

Well, it's Thursday which is my Friday. Ya! cheers

This weekend we plan to pull out the camper and de-winterize it. It's always such a hopeful time of year. Because once we get it ready for the season we can just go and camp when we want. We LOVE camping!

And the rest of the weekend? Here's one for ya'......we're going to drill 54 holes in a boat. Shocked Yes, it's a freaking scary idea. The back story on that one.....our son is a competitive sailor. He sails a Laser sailboat. We got it down from dry storage and noticed the cockpit (that the part of the boat you sit in) was spongy. That means the foam underneath the hard deck has disintegrated over time. It's an older boat and this happens. So, we got some guidance on the problem and checked out prices to fix it. The quotes were upwards of $1000. No! Not happening! Hubby is handy so he's asked around, googled, researched, and watched YouTube. We're drilling shallow holes and filling the space with an epoxy resin mixture. You insert this in the holes and let it dry. Sand it all smooth and Voila! - a $1000 boat repair for the cost of the materials - about $150.

So, pray for us that my son isn't sailing in a new boat hull in a few weeks. LOL! It will definitely be a learning experience.

The rest of the weekend will be spent (not) watching my son SCUBA dive. He is now taking instructor courses and will be at the pool all weekend. I say "not" watching him dive because, well, we see very little as he's mostly under the water.

Still keeping up with the daily step counting. I'm hooked and I don't see that changing any time soon.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu May 03, 2018 11:57 am

Is this the same son who is the diver?
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu May 03, 2018 1:11 pm

Rig D wrote:Is this the same son who is the diver?
Yes. Same kid! He's a very ambitious, busy (almost) 18 year old.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu May 03, 2018 5:39 pm

So he dives and sails, good combo. Keeping my fingers crossed the repair goes well.

The steps are addicting. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri May 04, 2018 7:44 am

Enjoy your weekend and good luck on the repair of the Laser sailboat.

I'm glad Spring finally arrived there too, but it doesn't sound like you're gonna spend much time here anyways Smile ... which is as it should be, enjoying life and sunshine and good food/movement/play with family/friends.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue May 15, 2018 11:30 am

So... don't keep us in suspense... did it work? Us curious folk like to know things.

And I didn't mean for you to think you shouldn't keep us posted, just that spending time with your loved ones is more important. You can do both, just not at the same time. Very Happy

Just noticed the coffee avatar is back... guess you can't live without it either... Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue May 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Lovebird wrote:So... don't keep us in suspense... did it work? Us curious folk like to know things.

And I didn't mean for you to think you shouldn't keep us posted, just that spending time with your loved ones is more important. You can do both, just not at the same time. Very Happy

Just noticed the coffee avatar is back... guess you can't live without it either... Wink

Ugh...it's on going. It's a BIG project. Mostly because we had to order yet another thing we needed. I have learned A LOT about sailboats in the last few years all due to the son sailing (we do not sail). Anyway, we painted it, hated the match (read: NOT matched!) colour and had to re-order another pigment. Sailboat gelcoat is very hard to find in my area so everything has to be ordered online. Now we are waiting on the mail so we can hopefully get it re-painted this weekend and then in the water.

May and June are HELL for us. It is the end of Scouting, the end of Diving Instruction lessons, and the beginning of sailing. So, all in all, our son has three things on the go for about a span of 6-8 weeks every spring. Toss in guitar and banjo for our daughter and there is zero time left for anything else. And then sailing/racing season begins for all of July and August. It's a whirlwind. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 15, 2018 8:12 pm

And I will tell you when these things are technically over for DS due to him moving out and such (not that he will give them up) you will miss these days.

Here’s hoping the new gel coat is better.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed May 16, 2018 2:08 am

Aren't you glad you vented and got that out of your system? Smile

It does raise the question on when you have the time to go camping...
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed May 16, 2018 5:45 am

The youth time commitments are indeed a trial. But we found that once our kids moved past competitive soccer and high school athletics, and then moved out for college & their own lives, we suddenly had a bunch of weekends and holidays with nothing much to do. It was a mixed blessing.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed May 16, 2018 6:18 am

Yep and gathering the gang together gets more complicated as they get on with their lives. I have been lucking in getting a long weekend with family to camp the last few years. On Mother's Day I brought it up again and it is looking like it will not be happening this summer. Sadness.

Hope you find time to squeeze something in.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed May 16, 2018 8:39 am

Lovebird wrote:Aren't you glad you vented and got that out of your system? Smile

It does raise the question on when you have the time to go camping...

We camp next weekend. Come hell or high water we are camping. Surprised

But.....there's always a but, isn't there? We are camping at the conservation area where the yacht club is. And, the reason we are camping there is because my son worked out an arrangement between the yacht club and his scouting group to get a bunch of scouts out sailing for the Saturday. So, while we will be camping our son will be on the lake with a bunch of 9-12 year olds teaching them to sail. I will say, the kids are pretty excited about it. One, most of them have never been sailing, and two, they will get to earn a scouting badge. Son LOVES scouting (it's his 13th year in it) and this is the last year of his youth involvement as he will be 18 this month and then will move into the adult scouting leader realm.

Yes, I complain that he's busy but it's good busy. At least when he's busy he's out there learning a skill or volunteering his time. I'm incredibly proud of him. That kid is gonna have a great life - I just know it!

My daughter, God bless her, at least does less time-consuming things. She plays guitar and recently picked up banjo. She's actually a very accomplished guitarist. She started when she was eight years old and absorbed it like a sponge. Now, seven years in, she can pretty much play anything you throw at her. I love watching the audience at the annual guitar concert her teacher puts on. They sit there like this..... Shocked .....when she gets up there and starts playing. She's this small sprig of a 100 pound (almost) 15 year old who can really, really play guitar. I know mom's are a biased sort but I will admit that she's pretty good!

Narrowminded wrote:And I will tell you when these things are technically over for DS due to him moving out and such (not that he will give them up) you will miss these days.

Right you are! He will turn 18 this month. I just sit here and think, "how the heck did that happen?". I have such mixed emotions. I am both so happy for him that he's made it to adulthood with a good head on his shoulders but so sad at the same time that our time together is running out. I'll be a mess the day he leaves home.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Yes, but be proud you've launched a successful adult. And given the excellent memories he undoubtedly has, he will be back to visit often.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue May 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Aaaahhhh...the boat repair is done! Whew! What a weight off the shoulders. The problem was our stupid weather. We couldn't re-apply the paint because the temperature was too cold for the gelcoat to cure. Finally, we got a decent day and went at 'er. Sunday we delivered the boat to the yacht club and son is very happy it finally made it out there. This weekend we camp out there so he'll get to sail to his heart's content. This big project was really dwelling on us so all of our time was going to it. I'm very glad it's done.

We pulled out the camper this weekend and de-winterized it. It's ready to go for the kick off of our 2018 camping season this Thursday. I can't wait!

Tonight I am off to my election training. I am working the next provincial election. I've worked elections before. I find the entire process quite fascinating. And it's very humbling to sit there and see new immigrants for whom this is their first opportunity to vote - ever! I'm talking about men and women who are in their 40's who have never had the right to vote before. It leaves you with the sentiment of just how lucky we are to have the opportunity to live in a democracy - regardless of who wins.

Anyway, keeping up with the steps. Eating is also good.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue May 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Do you Canadians verify ID to vote? We have it vary all over by state on how strict (if any thing is done at all) to ensure the integrity of the vote.

I feel fortunate here in Ohio that our poll workers check your ID and address to ensure we aren't having the "vote early, vote often" syndrome. Or having all your dead friends show up to vote.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum