The Primal Intellectual

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Sorry to read this about the kids and the Garmin. Hope you can avoid the bug, and not terribly surprised about the watch. Gadgets that frustrate are no fun and not worth the trouble.

Stay well!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 pm

Here’s hoping the kids wake feeling better tomorrow.

We too have has a really nice weather break, but do suspect we will be hit again before nice weather is here to stay.

So sorry about the Garmin issues.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 am

Kids - maybe flu? Good handwashing, good sneeze mucous hygiene on their part. Extra vitamin C, fluids, and rest on your part. This year has been hard.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:50 am

The kids are on the mend, it seems. DD isn't 100% but she returned to school today. She was off Mon, Tues, Wed. She's extremely studious so I know she was stressing about missing school. DS says he's feeling better, too.

I ordered a FitBit Charge 2 yesterday. I can't wait. I didn't want to buy it as I am cheap and it's over $200 in Canada. But hubby told me to just buy it. One, he says, "I'm worth it" and two, he hates the look of the bulky pedometer. So, I ordered it. I am a firm believer in never pay retail but, oh well.....

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:23 pm

This sums up Canada this week:

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Love that graphic!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:50 pm

That’s us this week too.

I hope you like the charge better than the Garmin. Can’t wait to hear.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:00 am

Same with Michigan weather. The snow was so heavy yesterday I left it for the neighbor.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:56 am

perennialpam wrote:Same with Michigan weather.  The snow was so heavy yesterday I left it for the neighbor.  

Whay?! That's an option? Why didn't anyone ever tell me that? Razz

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:57 am

Narrowminded wrote:That’s us this week too.

I hope you like the charge better than the Garmin. Can’t wait to hear.

I plan to use it a few weeks and then put up a review on the activity tracker thread we have.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:30 pm

Oh good. I too am curious about whether you like it.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:07 pm

Boy, I am tired today. Hubby bought some different melatonin to try (he didn't like mine) and then he also didn't like that brand. Well, mine ran out so I figured instead of wasting it I would use the stuff he didn't like. It's been three nights and I've slept like crap. I need to go buy my old brand. I didn't realize how crappy I'd been sleeping until I started sleeping better.

My FitBit was supposed to be delivered today. It was delivered alright - to some guy named Solanzzo in Tonawanda, New York! I thought it was odd when the FedEx tracking said it was in NY on Sunday with a delivery date of today. Sure enough.....they screwed that up......sigh.....now I need to get that straightened out. And, yes, the company sent me an order confirmation with my correct address. I'm beginning to think the activity tracker Gods are against me.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:57 am

Murphy Lives!
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Ontario I am so sorry about your new tracker woes. Rig is right Murphy lives.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:36 pm

Things are good here. It's my Friday so I am on the last 3.5 hours counting down to the weekend.

Interesting thing....I stopped taking melatonin because the stuff I switched to, after taking another brand for a few months, wasn't really working so I figured I'd stop and see what happens and I'm actually sleeping really well. It's only been a few nights now without it but it's much, much better than it used to be before I started taking melatonin. I think I'll stop taking it for a while and see what happens.

My FitBit arrived today. I'll get a chance to get into it tonight when I get home. At least it finally made it here. The pedometer, while more accurate than anything else, is bulky and doesn't look nice under tighter fitting tops. I'm looking forward to trying out the new FitBit.

I dropped another $1100.00 on our son today. Man, the kid is going to ruin me. He SCUBA dives and has now moved on to the Assistant Instructor program. It's absolutely nuts how much it costs per course. Sadly, half of that is just for materials through PADI that the dive shop he trains with makes zero money on. We see it as an investment in his future. He does not wish to go to college or university after high school (he's done in June) and wants to dive for a living. We're just paying for his education while he's still in high school. All in all, over the SCUBA years we're in it for about $5500. He'll likely take the Instructor certification in two years and I have no idea what that costs but likely at least another $500 to get officially tested at the PADI facility in Toronto.  That's very little to pay for a vocation. I hope it all pays out one day and he actually can earn a living diving in some capacity.

We're going to cook up a turkey this weekend. I'm very much looking forward to it as I love a good, brined, and then rotisseried, turkey. Turkey for days and days.....I never get tired of turkey. I think MIL and SIL and her kids will come over and join us. I feel like making a dessert. I'll have to do some research and make something yummy. It's always gluten-free (I actually don't tolerate wheat at all) but it likely won't be full on primal. One serving of dessert every six weeks or so isn't going to kill me and it makes me feel more like living, if you get  my meaning.

I'm still getting in my daily steps without fail. It's definitely become a habit - almost an obsession - to get in at least 10,000 steps a day. I would, however, like to see resulting weight loss. But I am trying to keep in mind that it's only been 8 weeks since I started walking every day.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:45 pm

All sounds good Onterio. Turkey isn't my favorite, but is a great meal to feed multitudes. I will be interested in knowing what dessert you land on.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:12 am

Great new that your Fitbit finally arrived. I will be curious as how you like it and find the screen time out.

Love me a good turkey too. I’ll have to get a turkey breast to cook, a a turkey for one would just be way too much.

I’m happy that DS is doing so well with his SCUBA. Nothing in life is inexpensive. I don’t want to think about the thousands and thousands we spent on ice hockey with DS and not anything he can make a career out of. However excellent for fitness and he still plays in an ‘old guys league’ as its called.

10000 steps are addicting. Still on track with mine as well. Keep steppin’
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:31 am

^Ditto on the expenses of youth sports. We spent a ton of $ on soccer, and lost years of holidays & vacations to traveling all over the upper midwest for soccer tournaments. But we all had a lot of fun with it and would do it again.

I find it interesting that the diving is a big interest for your son Ontario, I just don't think of Canada as being fertile ground for this kind of activity, I guess I'm indoctrinated into thinking of it as being primarily a warm water thing.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:00 am

Perhaps that is what originally attracted him to it? Razz

However, when looking at this: https://scubadiverlife.com/the-best-dive-sites-in-canada/ there's plenty of reasons...

It's great that he's found something he absolutely loves doing and at the same time is good at it too, especially since he plans to make a living with it. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 am

Rig D wrote:

I find it interesting that the diving is a big interest for your son Ontario, I just don't think of Canada as being fertile ground for this kind of activity, I guess I'm indoctrinated into thinking of it as being primarily a warm water thing.

Ontario has the Great Lakes. Lots of diving opportunities there. But, yes, for the most part it is colder diving conditions here. But our son is an American citizen and plans to move south and work in some capacity as a diver. Also, we have the Fathom Five National Marine Park up in Tobermory. The water is crystal clear and due to the often terrible weather there are scads of old ship wrecks up there within a few kilometres from shore. Divers from all over the world come here to dive there.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:19 pm

The family dinner went well. The turkey was good and the leftovers give us no need to cook today. I did make dessert - it was a recipe I've made before. It's probably the least technically difficult dessert one could make. It was Jacques Pepin, Braised Pears in Caramel Sauce. I'll link the recipe below. I chose it because, all in all, the only terrible component was the quarter cup of white sugar. I also used eight pears, instead of six, without increasing the amount  of sugar. This recipe is a winner and presents and tastes like far more work and skill went into it. I highly recommend it.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/2001-jacques-pepins-braised-pears-in-caramel-sauce

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 pm

I haven't been on Primal Forums much this week. It's been nuts around here. I had a big project at work that needed to be completed and it's taken me alllll week. It's been very stressful and like a giant ball of stress. I am so glad it's done.But the good news is one, it's DONE! And, two, it's Thursday which means it's my FRIDAY! Whohoo! Only 2 hours left to the work week. cheers

Tonight is definitely going to include a glass of red wine. I am very much looking forward to it. Tonight's dinner will feature "breakfast for dinner". It's been that kind of week. Wink

Tomorrow we plan to drive a few hours north to a ski resort and ski for the day. It should be fun considering the resort area got 20 cm of snow yesterday. I think I might even rent a pair of parabolic skis and try them out. I still have the old-school long, skinny skis. Apparently the parabolics are very nice to do turns in. I guess we'll see.

I'm quite enjoying the new FitBit Charge 2. Wow! It really DOES offer a lot more than the Garmin brands. I can see, now, why it's double the price tag. It's a really nice activity tracker. And I love the built in food/calorie option on their app. It's quite informative and literally tracks everything.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:56 pm

Ontario the ski idea sounds awesome. Definitely a good way to relax.

About the Charge2, are you having any issues reading the screen. Does it stay on long enough for you and always come on when you turn your wrist? Those are a few of the complaints and I had them with the Alta I tried. Just curious as to how it’s worked for you.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite meals.
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Do rent a pair of the parabolic skis - they are AMAZING! They practically turn for you and will make you feel like an expert skier. Super fun ride. I mounted a pair of telemark bindings on them and they even helped with that turn.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum