The Primal Intellectual

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by marcadav on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:16 pm

M2M, I too like getting my lower limit amount of steps (10,000) first thing in the morning. It helps with stiffness and, like you, makes the day feel less frantic. I, however, don't allow myself to park my tush in a chair, the rest of the day, just because I got to 10,000 steps early.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:25 pm

The good news......daughter, 14, went skiing for the first time yesterday for a class trip. Now she's decided she wants to take up skiing.

The bad news.....due to daughter's sudden interest hubby and I dug out our old ski equipment as we thought we'd hit the slopes with her. We used to ski the Rockies in Canada and Colorado a lot before our kids got us so busy. My ski boots don't fit!!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad  It appears they are too short. What the heck??? So I googled..... apparently, age, that damned aging...makes the tendons lose elasticity and you feet spread. Darn it!!! Now I have to buy new boots. Mad

Further good news, for daughter....she just inherited my $600 Salomon ski boots. Because the pair we were going to buy her sure weren't going to be that much - Not for a starter pair.

Off to the sporting store.....

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Ontario what a mixed bag of blessings today. Enjoy the skiing as a family
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:20 am

Hah, sounds like a great day for your dd. Hope you can find some boots you love just as much. Happy skiing.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Bummer about the boots, but bonus for your daughter. I hope you found some boots you like at a good price. It's the wrong time of year for it, but thrift shops can have really outstanding gear at very low cost, and in the fall, prior to ski season, there are often ski equipment swaps with great deals even on new equipment from prior seasons.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:49 pm

What a weekend! I did get new boots. One thing I've learned is that ski gear has certainly come down in price in the last 20 years. And, a lot of stores are starting to put it on clearance. I ended up getting a new pair of Salomon boots for $175 (plus tax) that were regularly $400. I also got a new pair of bib snowpants (because, ahem....the one's I bought when I was 23 years old no longer fit ) for $39. I'm pretty stoked about that. So now I'm all matchy-matchy again to look good falling down the slopes. Razz

In other news....good Lord some people on social media. There was a post asking what non gun owners thought about automatic weapons. I gave my humble opinion that I didn't understand why anyone needed an automatic weapon and cited my experience with firearms only to be one, openly called a liar, and then two, stalked, harrased, and then sent a death via messenger. And that was after I deleted my post trying to escape the crazies. People.... I swear....does anyone practice non-judgement or loving kindness or any openness to differing opinions? Gah! Lesson learned.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Great job on the ski gear!

Yeah I rarely post on Social Media, even on friends posts. This world is too upside down. What a boring place this would be if we all thought exactly the same.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Great job on the ski gear!

Yeah I rarely post on Social Media, even on friends posts. This world is too upside down. What a boring place this would be if we all thought exactly the same.

I have no problem at all with those who differ in opinion. In fact, I think having open conversation and debate is how we grow and learn. What bothers me is how defensive and closed off some people get. Can't we respectfully just agree to disagree? I can not imagine, in a million years sending someone a death threat simply because they disagreed with my opinion on something. When did we become so ego-centric that our opinions hold more worth than the well-being of other human beings?

You're right - the world IS upside down. And it's so very sad.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 am

The phrase "The monkeys are in charge of the zoo" often comes to my mind these days..
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:59 am

Actually, that phrase is an insult to the monkeys.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:04 am

perennialpam wrote:Actually, that phrase is an insult to the monkeys.  

That made me laugh! Thanks, I really needed that. Very Happy

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 am

It is very easy to be grandly offensive and threatening when you can do so anonymously. It takes a truly different breed of cat to say the same things when standing in front of someone when they may have their fists, sword, or .38 ready for action.

I truly believe virtually all these social media bullies are true chicken shits who would cower in the corner if they were up against you in person, even if all you brought was your brain and ability to speak.

Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:37 am

Rig D wrote:It is very easy to be grandly offensive and threatening when you can do so anonymously. It takes a truly different breed of cat to say the same things when standing in front of someone when they may have their fists, sword, or .38 ready for action.

I truly believe virtually all these social media bullies are true chicken shits who would cower in the corner if they were up against you in person, even if all you brought was your brain and ability to speak.

Agreed. This is exactly why I also did not report it. My BIL is a police detective in cyber crimes. He lures pedophiles online. I called him and spoke with him about it. He said the same as you, RigD. He also said that while the guy is likely just an idiot if I reported him he'd be arrested and charged. I FB stalked the guy and he has two little kids. I'm not really interested in ruining the lives of those two kids just because their dad is an idiot. So, for now, as long as he doesn't contact me again I'm letting it go.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 am

It might be humorous to post him a note saying that since he has those 2 little kids, you've decided not to report his threat to the police. That might give him pause to ponder.

I long ago abandoned FB, twitter, linkedin, etc. Too much crapola all day everyday, it was too big a pita for me. Unless they've shut me down, I do have a twitter account, but have never posted anything and they eventually quit contacting me with "new info." I recently started a gab.ai account, mainly just to check it out, I've never posted anything to it but every couple of days I get an email about having acquired a new follower.

Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 am

I had never heard of gab.ai. I went and checked it out. It's an interesting concept but no thanks. FB is scary enough. I typically don't respond to serious FB posts. Now I remember why. Ah, life is full of lessons and until we learn we'll keep repeating the mistakes. Lesson learned!

My life is too short to dwell. Moving on.....

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:59 am

Rig D wrote:It might be humorous to post him a note saying that since he has those 2 little kids, you've decided not to report his threat to the police. That might give him pause to ponder.
I would not do that. He has already show signs of being unstable. You can't assume that people will react rationally. That's what happens when you connect a billion people. If a tenth of one percent is dangerous, that's a million crazies who might want to die and take others with them.
sharperhawk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 pm

sharperhawk wrote:
Rig D wrote:It might be humorous to post him a note saying that since he has those 2 little kids, you've decided not to report his threat to the police. That might give him pause to ponder.
I would not do that. He has already show signs of being unstable. You can't assume that people will react rationally. That's what happens when you connect a billion people. If a tenth of one percent is dangerous, that's a million crazies who might want to die and take others with them.

That's actually pretty insightful - the math part. I never thought of it that way before. Wow! That certainly explains the increased interactions with "crazy people" that seem to happen on social media. Huh...who woulda thought?

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:51 pm

^ Agree, but he's a dad with 2 kids and probably a wife. I suspect he's just some a-hole operating within his supposed cloak of anonymity trying to be a big man.

I despise bullies and normally operate much more from the "Don't tread on me" perspective, and my inclination whenever someone threatens me is to respond with "Whenever you think you are up to the task."

Without calling him out in some fashion, he never has an incentive to cut it out and will likely get worse over time.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:34 pm

I've about decided the only safe thing to like or comment on when on FB is cat pictures...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Meant2Move wrote:I've about decided the only safe thing to like or comment on when on FB is cat pictures...

OMG!!!!! Razz I was drinking tea when I read it and snorted it up my nose. But you're right. It was funny to me because if I look at my own FB timeline it's 90% pictures of my Chihuahua or my cats. Heck, even my kids only get about 5% exposure. The last 5% is reserved for sharing funny or cute stuff I've come across. I mean, hey, who doesn't want to see more cute dog/cat pictures?! Very Happy

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:35 am

Today has started off well - Rolling Eyes

All of SW Ontario can thank me for their current weather. Of course all the snow has been melted by the rain because, you know, I bought SKI BOOTS this weekend. It's that damn Murphy's Law and all.

But seriously, it's crazy here. It took me 35 minutes to drive to the office. It typically takes me 15 minutes to drop off daughter at school and then drive to work. A number of roads are closed due to flooding. It's nuts out there. There are places in SW Ontario being evacuated due to flooding. We've had about 100mm of rain (about 4 inches) in the last 36 hours. That doesn't seem like a lot of rain but the problem is that along with that rain we've had very warm temperatures. All our snow - some snow piles two stories high from being pushed there through the winter are all gone. It's like spring out there. No snow in sight. All that previous snow is now water.

But on a good note I've already got 2000 steps in! It also looks like we are treating ourselves to a lunch out today. Normally we go home but there is no way we'll be able to get home and back in time due to the road closures. Now I can dream about lunch..... Smile

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 pm

Wow sounds crazy, but we are having a lot of flooding too and more to come this weekend. Crazy weather.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:27 pm

Streets are flooded here too.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:37 am

perennialpam wrote:Actually, that phrase is an insult to the monkeys.  

Sadly, you are quite right! Crying or Very sad
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:41 pm

Haven't been here much this week. Both my kids (14 & 17) have been running a fever. My kids are rarely sick so this is unusual for them. I'm not sure what they've picked up but now I live in fear of catching it!

The weather here has been absolutely awesome for February. I actually have been wearing my spring jacket it's been so lovely. This is quite odd for February. We set a temperature record yesterday. All good things must come to an end, though. Tomorrow we are supposed to get blasted again with winter. Ah, well, it was nice while it lasted. What a rare treat!

The Garmin...oh, Garmin, how I love to hate you..... Twisted Evil It's been fine until today when it started glitching, resetting and missing steps again. It's sitting on my kitchen island where I abandoned it when I went home for lunch. I'm sending it back on Friday when I'm off. I'm quite frankly just done with it.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum