The Primal Intellectual

Page 7 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17 ... 27  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Yes, it’s different for school closing here, but I’m sure has to do with busses. However o will say they try to do 2 hour delays vs total closings. A lot different from back in the day
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:03 am

Freezing rain today. Thankfully, we don't have any where to go until after dinner. Son (17) is a Dive Master SCUBA diver and he has to teach tonight in the pool. I love watching him teaching what he loves to do. He's so young for the qualification but he's worked hard to get there at only 17. I'm so incredibly proud of him.

Funny story that happens a lot to him. He's usually the youngest person present at SCUBA. I don't know how many times I've seen this funny scenario between him and some 40 or 50 year old just starting out at SCUBA or at least far less qualified than him:

Diver: Hey buddy, did you check to make sure you have enough air?
Son: Yep, I think I'm good

Diver: Hey, buddy, you might want to start getting your gear on. I think we're starting soon.
Son: Thanks for letting me know.

And then son gets in the pool, " Hello everyone, I'm your Dive Master today and instructor".   Laughing And then the guy who previously gave him advice sort of does this, "Ah, crap" face. LOL!   It kills me every time I see it!!!!! Very Happy  And he's so humble about it. I really do have a great kid!

Garmin Update: Out of the blue they called me yesterday. They apologized that the problems weren't rectified the first time I called. They're sending me an ANT stick so I can do downloads of updates. They say this will fix the problem. I'll try it but I'm not holding my breath. I guess we'll see.....

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 am

It is always nice when we see our children modeling what they were raised to be.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Ontario I love your story. So wonderful when our children present themselves as adults they are becoming
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 am

Your son sounds like a very impressive young man. Great that he's found something he loves and is good at, and willing to share his expertise.

Garmin-- I hope you also got a contact name and info so if the unit doesn't work right after the fix is done you can give them some feedback that is on point. One would guess that the company would be quite concerned a product that is inherently not working right.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 pm

I sure hope the ANT stick works. I have trouble with an older Garmin watch and ANT stick not working since I went to Windows 10, but I suspect (hope) that is because it is older technology. You certainly don't deserve any further frustration with this device. My spouse can always tell when I'm messing with my new Garmin watch as I'll be muttering under my breath about how stupidly difficult it is to get it into the correct workout mode.

Loved the story about your son, he sounds like a great person.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Rig D wrote:

Garmin-- I hope you also got a contact name and info so if the unit doesn't work right after the fix is done you can give them some feedback that is on point. One would guess that the company would be quite concerned a product that is inherently not working right.

Oh, I've got his email address. Wink I was telling hubby that once I get this ANT stick I am giving it 24 hours to work without problems. If I have one itty-bitty glitch in 24 hours it's being returned. I'm pretty much done with the whole thing.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:56 am

It's been just over two months since I started my daily walking. I aim for 10,000 steps a day but it's typically somewhere between 12,000 - 16,000 a day. It's certainly become a habit for me. I don't find it hard at all.

I have lost about 4 pounds and 2% body fat. And if you do the math on the pounds lost versus percentage of body fat then I am obviously putting on muscle. I'll take it!

I also started taking melatonin at around the same time. I now sleep great. What a difference it has made to get a good number of consistent nights sleep.

Garmin update: The ANT stick came. I managed to get the latest software update downloaded to the VivoFit 4. I appears to be working fine now. However, I'm still not feeling 100% about this. We'll see if it continues to perform as it should.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Nice results on the steps. *thumbs up* Sounds like it suits you. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm

That (weight loss/muscle gain) is a very nice result of a moderate change to your day. I've read some criticisms of the 10,000 steps thing, but I think the critics fail to realize how beneficial a goal that causes one to move more throughout the day, not just during an exercise session, is.

Well done!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Do you break down your steps into a certain amount by a certain time? I'm trying to figure out how to get more steps in without the treadmill.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:44 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Do you break down your steps into a certain amount by a certain time? I'm trying to figure out how to get more steps in without the treadmill.

I basically walk now instead of standing and waiting. For example, if I have something on the stove instead of standing there waiting watching it I do a few loops around the island. At work, between patients I get up and walk around the office. If I'm waiting a few minutes for my daughter to get ready to go somewhere I walk around the island those two minutes. It really adds up in a day.

One day a few weeks back I wasn't feeling so great. So I didn't do any extra steps. I only clocked 3000 steps that day. That tells me that in a normal day, before I started counting steps, I probably only did 3000-4000 steps. By doing an extra 6000-8000 steps a day I am surely burning calories and building muscle slowly but surely.

Once you start you'll find it addictive. You will want to get in a certain number.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 pm

I do similar to Ontario with the steps. However I do try to get in 3
- 15 min sessions of laps around my home I. Addition to the extra movements
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 pm

I front-load steps every day by getting at least a certain amount first thing in the morning.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:22 am

marcadav wrote:I front-load steps every day by getting at least a certain amount first thing in the morning.

I also try to get in 2000 steps before leaving for work each morning.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 am

Once again it's my Friday! Whohoo! And, it's Family Day weekend so I have Monday off as well. Four days off - life is good! Very Happy

I'm also in a pretty darned good mood today. Why? Because the 14 day forecast is looking good. Very, very good. With the exception of Saturday and Sunday that will be at -2 C the rest of the forecast is above zero. Could it be? Could spring be around the corner? In SW Ontario you just never know. The winter is so topsy-turvy here. No doubt it will snow again but I'll take the nice, above-zero weather when I can get it.

My Garmin is behaving. It has tracked like a charm since I downloaded the software update. That also puts me in a good mood. I like knowing how I'm doing with steps, calories, sleep, etc.

The best part about my upcoming weekend is that I have NOTHING to do. Zip, zero, ziltch.....ah, pure heaven. With two teenagers I don't get too many weekends like this. It's my SIL's birthday so maybe I'll  make her a cake. I love to bake and she loves to eat cake so it's a win-win.

I slept GREAT last night. This melatonin thing is really working for me. Although I still don't really like being dependent on an outside source/supplement to help my body do what it's supposed to do anyway. This getting old thing isn't so grand. Wink

Anyway, do the Americans here have a holiday on Monday as well? It's President's Day, after all! Is everything closed for President's Day or are the stores open? I only ask because maybe we'll  make a run for the border in Port Huron if the stores are open. It's always fun to do a little shopping state's side on a day off.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:22 am

Biz as usual on Monday here.
Weather: We'll hit 60F today, with rain. It'll cool off the balance of the week but won't hit really cold temps. I fear we'll have a repeat of last year where we had about a week warm up, our plants, particularly two grape vines, "believed", sprouted, then were trashed in the ensuing very cold spell.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:31 am

Great tip about the 2,000 steps front load. Will have to work on that. We will hit 80 today.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:08 pm

Governmental units shut down on President's Day. I doubt stores would or ever did.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Great tip about the 2,000 steps front load.  Will have to work on that.  We will hit 80 today.

Okay, to better answer your question I paid attention today to when I walk. It is currently 2:52pm and I have 9678 steps. This is when I found myself walking today:

Before work - I walked around the island waiting for hubby to shower and leave. - 2000 steps
This morning while at work - I walked around the office between patients. But it was busy so I didn't get a lot in - 1600 steps
Lunch time at home - I walked around the island waiting for my lunch to warm up and then again when the coffee was brewing - 2300 steps
Afternoon at the office - had a gap between patients and managed to get in about 17 minutes of walking around the office - 1800 steps
Took a trip over to the store near the office for something - 300 steps

So, all in all, active steps amount to 8000 steps. The other 1600-ish steps are just steps I took in the course of my day to do normal things like get a patient file, walking to and from the parking lot, walking around the house normally to do things, etc.

When I get home I'll do another 2000 deliberate steps around my island and probably another 700-800 just in chores, etc.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Thanks, Ontario that helps me plan better.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 pm

I like the action of moving while waiting for food or laundry. Front-loading healthy habits is a great idea. I try this with water, everyday. I am particularly aware of over-sitting since my DVT and try to pop up every hour as well. One of the reasons I don't post often as I sit for too long.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Happy to hear for the moment your Garmin is working as it should.

I also try to get in 2000 first thing, and then try to challenge myself to get in 5000 by lunch. That’s a tougher one with DH but it makes the rest of the day a bit more relaxed.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 pm

I definitely prefer the days I get in a bunch in the morning, it makes the rest of the day less frantic (and I feel better all day which is the bigger bonus).
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum