The Primal Intellectual

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by Annieh on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:34 pm

It's so pretty. I know it's a lot of work, but pretty.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Well, the Garmin Vivofit 4 is no longer......it started glitching on Wednesday making me lose about 100 steps. At the time I figured it was a one off. Today a triangle shape keeps popping up and, low and behold it reset itself 600 steps backwards. I called Garmin and they said it needs to be replaced. But they have none in stock. Amazon, where we purchased it, has none either. Bummer because I really liked it. I only had it 6 days. So we're sending it back for a refund. I guess my lonely pedometer will get some attention. I guess there's a lesson in simplicity - the simple old pedometer never fails.

I'll likely research some more and see about another tracker. Technology..... Rolling Eyes

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Oh, what a shame about the watch. I hope you find one you like.
Once again I have snow envy.

Sent from Topic'it App
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Ontario, we got snow today too. While it blew around and was miserable it only added up to a dusting. I hope you didn’t get your DH’s sizes 2cm Smile

Sorry about your Garmin. Hopefully you’ll find something you like better.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:23 am

Amazon ..... It's amazing! After sending out my screwed up VivoFit 4 as a return to Amazon.com hubby looks and sees it was JUST released in Canada on Friday. What luck! Anyway, he ordered a new tracker yesterday afternoon and it's coming today. Let's hope the first one was just an anomaly.

How fortunate are we to live in a world where we can order something from our couch, pay for it from a number on a little plastic card, and then have it travel hundreds of miles to arrive on your doorstep in less than 24 hours! It boggles my mind every time. That probably makes me sound old . Wink

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 am

I've got to say I'm not sure how I would get everything done without online shopping!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:47 am

Pedidoc wrote:I've got to say I'm not sure how I would get everything done without online shopping!

Us too. We both detest shopping. Other than fresh produce, dairy and meat, nearly everything that enters our home is bought online. All cleaning supplies, dried/other food items, electronics, office supplies, toiletries, etc are all purchased online. It certainly makes life easier.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:02 pm

S. Ice you can get a new tracker so quickly.

I too do much online as for me it’s hard to get to the store and I’ve found these days, there are many things I can’t ven find in stores here.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Started the day out at the dentist! Yeah for me! Rolling Eyes Normally I don't mind the dentist. Today I had a repair to be done. I never get freezing and, instead, meditate through the dental work. But today, what should have been a five minute drive to drop off daughter at school and then get to the dentist turned into a 25 minute drive due to construction, a transport truck, etc etc....long story. But let's just say, me and 200 of my closest neighbours were all sitting on a road parking lot going nowhere fast.

Anyway, I was so frustrated by the time I got to the dentist - LATE! - that I was having trouble getting to my calm place. It was less than fun.

My VivoFit 4 ..... honestly. I have no idea. It must be me. I have a hard time believing that a huge, reputable company like Garmin could possible have such a crappy product. My new tracker is also losing steps on me. I called support and they said there is an update. Of course, you can't just download the update...no, that would be too easy. You either need a Garmin ANT stick or you have to wait until the magic download fairies that reside inside your fitness tracker and software decide to download the update for you. Not cool, in my opinion. I might end up sending this one back, as well. I've had this new unit since yesterday. Yesterday it lost about 400 steps. Today it is closer to 600. I will look at the tracker and there will be 6889 steps on it. Ten minutes later I go for a walk and look at it and it then says there are only 6307 steps. Honestly! Evil or Very Mad And because it's so new I can't find anything online about other people with these problems. I'm thinking two VivoFits in two weeks that are doing the same thing is likely not an anomaly.

I need to finish work, have a cup of tea and go to bed. It's been "one of those days". It's not easy being me. tongue

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:35 pm

I'd say just get your money back if you can. 0 for 2 is not something to build on. I had a similarly bad experience with a Sandisk MP3 player and its replacement some years back. Worked great for a week or so then, while playing you would hear pffft and it was gone. Tried 2 replacements, then just trashed it and went to downloading stuff to my phone.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Rig D wrote:I'd say just get your money back if you can. 0 for 2 is not something to build on. I had a similarly bad experience with a Sandisk MP3 player and its replacement some years back. Worked great for a week or so then, while playing you would hear pffft and it was gone. Tried 2 replacements, then just trashed it and went to downloading stuff to my phone.

I know, that is my inclination, as well. I am searching to see if anyone makes a wrist-based pedometer. A pedometer is all I really need anyway. The other data is interesting but I really just want something to track steps. I do have a pedometer but it's bulky and has to clip to my waistband. A wrist/watch type pedometer is much, more convenient. Does anyone know of such a beast?

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Gotta say, that dental visit sounds brutal!  I'm always super tense even for the most basic services as the dentist we had when I was a child was a mean man "give me something to cry about". Current dentist is great and does amazingly close to pain-free work and yet...

I'm in the send the watch back camp - 2 bad experiences on a new product is not worth messing with. I haven't noticed it dropping steps (I get more than I should most days) but the menu system on my Garmin makes me crazy for being hard to use and dysfunctional, and as I've said before, the HR functions are not good.

For good basic tracking, get the fitbit zip. Simple, accurate, small. You can clip it to your waist or bra, or drop it in your pocket.

I hope you get/got good sleep.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:35 pm

I agree with the send it back. Another option is the misfit shine 2, you. An wear it anywhere, decent basic app and depending on you ankles, it can be strapped there as well. Or clipped to your shoe. Not as well known as Fitbit or Garmin, but definitely worth a look
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:50 am

The VivoFit 4 decision has been made - it's being returned...again! I woke up this morning and now it doesn't even keep time correctly. It's 15 minutes behind in time. Gah! So disappointed in Garmin.

I wanted the Garmin because I don't want to have to charge it. I don't want an activity tracker you have to charge all the time. My life is already too full of having to remember to charge this or that or the other.

Back to the pedometer......Old Fashioned versus technology....Old Fashioned wins again!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:14 pm

Old fashioned has its merits. The Zip takes a watch battery so only has to be changed a few times a year.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Ditto the misfit shine, also battery
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:28 pm

The problem with the Misfit is that I like to be able to see steps, etc on the watch.

I have looked at the Fit Zip and it's a consideration but I do like the ease of reference when it's a watch style. I see that they do make a wrist strap for the Fit Zip.

MeantToMove....having used the Fitbit Zip do you think that putting the unit into a watch strap is doable? I've seen them on Amazon. Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.ca/Fitbit-Zip-Buckle-Bracelet-Replacement/dp/B01FG9NS4Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1518049655&sr=8-6&keywords=Fitbit+zip

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:46 pm

Yes, I think that bracelet would work. Having it on your wrist means you will pick up a few extra steps, but nothing excessive unless you are conducting an orchestra or are inclined to to really move your arms about a great deal as you talk. The device is a very solid, basic tracker. Several family members have them and have had them for years. They don't do well in the washer...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks, Meant2Move.....I will give the Fitbit Zip futher consideration.

UPDATE on the Vivofit 4.....I reviewed it on Amazon giving it one star and citing why that was. Today I see that the manufacturer has contacted me trying to make it right. I guess we'll see what "make it right" means and what they intend to do.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:48 pm

I will be interested to hear what Garmin has to say.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 am

I'm off every Friday and I'm thinking that's a good thing today. We have a large amount of snow forecasted for today. So much that they cancelled all the buses and it hasn't even started yet.  I do have to say that Canadians have been made soft. Back in my day you were lucky to get one snow day a year. It basically had to be a blizzard to have school cancelled. This sounds like a conversation in a nursing home but..... I remember walking to school with snow past my knees. Now we get 15 cm (7- ish inches) and they cancel. It's all about insurance. Now the bus companies call the shots based on rules with their insurer. I guess that's what you get in our sue-happy world.

Garmin update - you know that magical update that my unit was waiting on that I couldn't download myself? Late yesterday I noticed it had happened. So I did a bunch of steps, about 4000, and it didn't lose any. This morning I've been up about an hour and a half and done 3700 steps and it's not lost any. I guess we'll see if it manages to behave the rest of the day. I still haven't heard back from Garmin. Now I just have a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing.

The day will be spent cleaning, walking, and watching our "15 cm" fall. It's never just "15 cm". Rolling Eyes Meteorologists must have short rulers.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:20 am

I used to work with a Canadian software firm and remember laughing at the joke about "shoveling 20 CM of partly cloudy."

Sent from Topic'it App
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 am

Same thing happens here relative to winter closings, but of course it happens here with less snow than it takes in Canada. I knew the school superintendent for our system when my kids were in HS 20 yrs back, he told me that he never made the decision to close until they heard whether the buses could make their runs safely. But I also agree, it seems that some places shut down way early.

We've also had closing around here in the summer 'cause it is too hot. Seriously, too hot in Ohio? It gets up over 90 fairly often, near 100 very rarely, but still no where what I remember in the South, where you could walk out on a 95+F day and grab a handful of air and squeeze a glass of water out of it.

I preface some my stories to my kids with "Back in the olden days". Ontario, You mean you didn't walk 5 miles to school in the knee deep snow up hill both ways?
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Rig D wrote:Same thing happens here relative to winter closings, but of course it happens here with less snow than it takes in Canada. I knew the school superintendent for our system when my kids were in HS 20 yrs back, he told me that he never made the decision to close until they heard whether the buses could make their runs safely. But I also agree, it seems that some places shut down way early.

I preface some my stories to my kids with "Back in the olden days".  Ontario, You mean you didn't walk 5 miles to school in the knee deep snow up hill both ways?

RigD.....do you remember the Blizzard of 1978? Now THAT warranted a snow day! I'll never forget that snow event!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:00 pm

Ha, that was the winter after I was transferred from Deeee-troit Michitigan to Hollywood Florida. I remember my interview trip there, as I walked off the airport at the Ft. Lauderdale airport, the smell of oranges was in the air, it was 70F and there was a most, soft breeze, and I had the thought "I believe I'm home, unless this job really sucks."

My first winter in Deeeee-troit was in '74 and I remember a huge snow fall where the cars in the parking lot were just bumps in a seemingly endless flow of white. It was waist deep everywhere. I have a nearly endless litany of Deeeee-troit experiences, many related to being from Georgia, having a southern accent and attempting to tolerate native Mishi-ganders.

But the coldest winter I've experienced was here in Ohio in 1981. We lived in a small town NW of Dayton about 30 miles and the weather reporting station was a mile or so from our home. One night it reached -20F. Our heater ran continuously from around the 2nd week of December well into January of '82. It was truly miserable.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum