Meepster's Journal - in Search of Healthiness

Go down

Meepster's Journal - in Search of Healthiness

Post by meepster on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm

I guess I'll continue the journal here. Glad that this forum exists.

I'm on a temporary enforced break from the cold showers - despite all the alleged improvements to the immune system, I managed to catch another cold, as has the mini-Meep. The mini-Meep missed her first-ever dance recital because of this yuck - she's really sick and absolutely miserable, poor thing. Thankfully, I don't think she really got the idea of a dance recital or got all that excited about it, so it's not that much of a disappointment to miss it.

Speaking of the mini-Meep, we're gradually eliminating junk food from her diet. Not that it was ever all that junky, but when we saw a nutritionist a while ago, she recommended that we feed the kid crackers. The kid quickly became addicted to crackers, to the point that for some meals, that's all that she would eat. So, after the latest box of crackers ran out, we just didn't buy any more. The mini-Meep likes pistachios, so we're substituting that for the crackers, and she seems happy enough with that.

I'm giving myself a break from meditation, since it doesn't seem to be going so well for me anymore. It's mostly been an exercise in clock-watching lately, which probably isn't all that valuable for one's mental health.
meepster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meepster's Journal - in Search of Healthiness

Post by perennialpam on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am

Glad to see you here!

Too bad about mini-Meep. Hope you both feel 100% soon.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:51 pm

meepster wrote:
I'm giving myself a break from meditation, since it doesn't seem to be going so well for me anymore.  It's mostly been an exercise in clock-watching lately, which probably isn't all that valuable for one's mental health.  

That's kinda how it is for me. Smile My best meditation moments are when I'm standing on top of a hill in the canyons, listening to the wind, which I'm now, unable to do for awhile.

Excellent switch from crackers to pistachios. Nutritious food really does taste good.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi Meep! (I love your name)

I have a love/hate/more hate relationship with meditation. There are definitely times when it's killing my calm. Cold showers are fairly awesome but it's almost always warm here, so.... yeah.

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meepster on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:52 pm

I decided to do a "Sunshine Break" instead of meditation for a while - just go out and take a nice walk in the sunshine for 20 minutes. We've been having unusually sunny weather lately, and I figure some extra sunshine time won't hurt.

The mini-Meep is almost entirely off junk food and doing just fine. Though apparently the kid can eat an entire bag of pistachios all by herself. She calls them "mustachios" - so cute.

I am now at 127 lbs., and the squish around the middle is mostly gone. I still don't have a nice flat tummy, and probably never will - I had a diastasis recti during my pregnancy (a separation of the ab muscles), and it didn't heal right, so my belly sticks out now. I don't mind, really. It's not like I'm auditioning for swimsuit model anytime soon.
meepster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeangenie on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 pm

A sunshine break sounds good. Here in the UK we have too little power in the sun to make vitamin D in winter but it' still good to be out in it.
Like you, I don't think I will ever have a flat tummy again. I had some internal bleeding after my abdominal operation and the tummy area is still swollen 8 months later.
jeangenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meepster on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm not sure how much vitamin D I normally get in San Francisco, either, especially since it's chilly enough to require a jacket. The sunshine feels nice anyway.

We're all still sick with that horrendous yuck that's been going around. At first, I tried to keep the mini-Meep inside all day, but I think it's driving her nuts to be cooped up inside, so she's been somewhat short-tempered and unlike her normal sunny self. So have I, for that matter. I normally have the patience of a saint, but I've been running out of patience lately. Not with the mini-Meep, thank God, but the wife doesn't deserve it either.

And jeangenie - flat tummies are overrated. Hope everything is healing up well now.
meepster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 am

Oof... hopefully you're all feeling better! Lingering crud is really annoying. Even when I'm feeling sick getting out into some sunshine and fresh air definitely improves my mood. (Not sure it helps with the sickness but I'm far less crabby which is better for everyone else Very Happy )

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:09 am

Hope you and minimeep are doing better.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Healing vibes coming your way!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:38 am

Hope this entry finds you two on the mend. Fresh air is not overrated. Sometimes it is good to open all the windows in the winter and get rid of the indoor bugs.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meepster on Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:49 pm

The mini-Meep is doing better, but I seem to be collecting germs. I've picked up a stomach bug to add to the collection. The Primal dietary restrictions are temporarily out the window and I'm eating simple carbs. That seems to be all that my insides are able to handle at present. Makes me sad, because the wife has really gotten into fancy cooking from Paleo cookbooks. We got Loren Cordain's cookbook, and there's currently a steak with some amazing lemongrass-pineapple-mint sauce on it in the fridge, and I can't have any. Sigh. I also made some yummy chicken livers in coconut oil with garlic today, and I can't have those either. At least the mini-Meep can enjoy that.

The mini-Meep is walking a lot more these days. She weighs 25 lbs and always wanted to be carried everywhere, and I got sick of it. So, a couple of days ago, I told her that I won't carry her anymore and that she needs to walk everywhere on her "feety-feet". She threw a fit at first, but then realized that that's the way things are going to be. She's now a very good walker, and can cover surprisingly long distances. We walked about 10 city blocks yesterday, and she was fine with it. She also climbs 3 flights of stairs to our apartment with no problems. I think that we, like most parents, really underestimate what a toddler can do physically. She walks fast, too; I don't even need to slow down very much to accommodate her. Unless she finds a fascinating leaf or piece of garbage on the sidewalk.
meepster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Hope you're feeling better! Merry Christmas! santa
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:08 pm

More healing vibes headed your way. Toddlers are incredible. They can teach you a lot. Take time and enjoy these years.

Merry Christmas
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Healing wishes and happy holiday thoughts your way.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meepster on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:08 pm

So, we had a good visit with the grandparents over the New Year's. The mini-Meep loves her grandma (they talk on Skype every day), so she had a great time. And I understood, viscerally, just how much easier it is to be Grokette than it is to be a modern American mom. Having two grandparents around to split the childcare with made it SO much easier. It felt like a vacation. I could relax and enjoy the little rugrat without feeling exhausted all the time. And Grokette wouldn't just have parents - she'd also have aunts and uncles and sisters and brothers and cousins and all sorts of other relatives. And they'd be around all the time.

And now we're back home, and I picked up another cold on the way home, so I'm still sick. The mini-Meep got it too. I am looking forward to the end of winter.
meepster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Hope you and mini-Meep feel better soon.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Healing vibes headed your way
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content