Tomi found her way!

Page 35 of 44 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 39 ... 44  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way!

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:07 pm

Second lap done. Steps will be 3000ish by end of day. So, I am increasing slowly.

Super tired - but decided not to try to nap so I will be more tired tonight. Hopefully will sleep better. I think hubby and I will sit in the hot tub before bed - might help my legs. He is such a sweetie - he tells me to wake him up when I'm having a bad night and he'll go out and sit in the HT with me - but I can't wake him when he gets up at 5:30 and works until 7:00 pm. He needs his rest.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Great job on the park laps and increasing steps.

My suggestion is to put the habit of getting daily steps first. Increasing the number of daily steps, second, and increasing them slowly so you don't hinder/disrupt the daily habit.

As an incentive, I started in January 2009 with 5 minutes a day. I've had many bumps in the road--plantar fasciitis, torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders, a car accident with residual neck and hip/back pain, not to mention the ever present CP related muscle imbalances and over use issues..

Even with all those physical issues, and other familial issues, I have maintained my habits. I averaged 17,000+ steps/day in 2017. I only had 9 days last year when I didn't hit 10,000 steps. And I haven't missed a 10,000 step day since I got back from, and over the cold I caught, in Poland last September.

I say all of this to highlight the importance of consistency. Solidifying movement, as well as dietary choices, into one's daily routine helps, IMO, produce habits that bring about results over time.

I'm not saying I don't have off days where I don't want to get my movement goals done. Because I have them often. I just ask myself-- do you skip taking a shower or brushing your teeth. My answer is a resounding no. So I get up and get moving.

You've made a good start. Just keep it up!

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Thanks, Marcadav Smile My mindset is in line with what your saying. I don't plan to do more than 2 laps a day for at least a month - the steps aren't really important at this point - just interesting, and encouraging that I am moving more.

You've done really good with all the road blocks you've had to deal with. Someday I hope to be doing 2-3 miles a day. But that someday might be 2 years from now.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:53 pm

Tomi I agree with Marcadav. Like I remind myself often, healthy living,being a lifestyle is a marathon, not a sprint. Forward progress is all that’s required. There will be backward steps, but as long as that line is greadually, overall going up, the you are winning.

You got this
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 am

I also agree. Improvement is the ultimate goal. If today you take a few more steps than yesterday then that's a win, IMO. You'll get there!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Smile thanks, Ladies!! It has taken me a very long time to wrap my brain around this --- slow and steady wins the race concept.

I am being kind to myself - even encouraging - as I got home from my walk today I told myself (out loud) - "Good Job, Tomi!" After hearing the words coming out of my mouth I realized just how little praise and encouragement I received in my younger years. I honestly don't remember my mother ever offering me an encouraging word. It almost brought a tear to my eye hearing myself say those words. I'm going to practice this more - I need it. I have read about adults nurturing themselves to make up for a lack of nurturing as a child. I'm going to work on this.

Had a rough night. Very difficult time falling asleep and then awake every hour. Today will be a very do nothing day.

I have found the "slim tea" that I've been drinking is acting as a diuretic. I love the flavor - its Caramel Apple. But there is something in it that is working against my efforts to end the loose bowels. It does not contain Senna - which most diet teas do. So - no more of that. I'm not using it for the "diet" aspect --- I just thought the flavor sounded wonderful - and it is! I ordered some White Tea yesterday because I read that it has a lot of antioxidants or something. I do love tea! But, I am sensitive to caffeine so I have to be careful what I get.

I can't seem to get out of the habit of waiting until noon-ish to have my first meal. I just have never been a breakfast eater - even as a child. I have no appetite until I've been up for a few hours. Maybe I should just go with what comes natural instead of feeling like I need to force down breakfast before 10 am. I am eating really well - although over last weekend I did eat a few no-bake cookies. Aside from the brown sugar, they aren't terribly bad. But, sugar is sugar.

Ingredients: Brown sugar, coconut milk (Silk), butter, coco powder, peanut butter (all natural), salt, vanilla, quick oats.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:34 pm

Thursday Affirmations:

1. I am a beautiful woman inside and outside.
2. I am strong
3. I am determined
4. I am beating my illness
5. I never give up
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Tomi, I understand and relate to not hearing encouraging words as a child from my parents. I also can not remember hearing any praise. Not even after being the first person in a very large extended family to go to and graduate from college. A college education I paid for with the help of scholarships and loans.

I do remember a lot of horrible things said to me and about me. Even as an adult.

I was, however, lucky to have teachers and other adults that did see me for me. I also believe the truly egregious things I heard taught me to question the validity of those things and dismiss them and openly push back at them. Therapy helped a lot too.

I think we tend to feel hunger around the times our body is used to getting fed. If I stray from the usual times I eat, I find myself feeling hungry at those new "feed" times.

My daughter has been on a no-bake cookie kick lately. The problem is, only mom can make them right. So, I have made several batches lately. I use regular sugar, not brown, and no salt.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Tomi, the oats and peanut butter may not be good for you either.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Marcadav - I remember you telling me about the horrible things your family said to you. I will never understand how people can say such hurtful words. I too was the first person in the entire history of my genealogy to graduate with a Bachelors Degree. One of my sisters has is a hairdresser. But thats as close as it gets. I had expected my family would come to my graduation - but no one even attempted. Granted, it was in a neighboring state, but they had visited in the past, so I was sure someone would come. I was very hurt. I didn't even receive a card. Nothing. Luckily --- Hubby came! He didn't make the actual ceremony - but we had a wonderful weekend together.

I remember the first time my mom told me she loved me. I was 16. She was finally sober, for the first time in my life. I said it first....... she responded. Now that she is older she says it all the time, and she is much more able and willing to offer praise and encouragement. She is not the same as she was when I was younger. But, now, it doesn't mean much.

Anyway....... I'm not a product of my past if I chose not to be.

Pedidoc --- Yes, the PB and oats could be contributing to my issues. GRRR!

Hubby is working late (again) so I will go ahead and eat dinner and he can warm up curry when he gets home. I made bacon today - and its killing me to avoid sitting down with the entire plate and start munching!

Food today:

Ground Turkey w/butter
My juiced Apple, Carrots, Cucumber and Celery
Amy Myers Mocha Latte Protein Drink w/coconut milk (Silk)
Bacon
Chicken breast
Brocolli

And maybe more bacon.............. Wink

I'm going to do another lap before I eat dinner.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Wow! that was a tough one. I was dragging myself up the driveway! But I ran into some neighbors from a few blocks down that I hadn't seen in a while - got a hug and had a nice visit. Smile

Saw a homeless family going down into the park. Made me sad. The man was carrying several bags and had a backpack. The wife and daughter were coming along behind. They looked like they had walked a long way and were very tired. If I wasn't home alone I would take them food and water - but I don't feel its safe for me to go down there alone. I have no idea how many homeless camps are down there right now. The parks department cleans them all out, then 2 weeks later 3 or 4 more move in. Its awful.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:14 am

Tomi- great job getting in a second walk. I know it felt good to visit with the neighbors.

So sad about the family. What is even sadder is if you had taken food, good chance it would encourage others and it could get ugly. It’s a shame in today’s world we can’t help one another w/o fear.

Also, maybe check the label on you Silk Coconut Milk for harmful gums.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Smile it was nice to visit! I've been such a recluse since October! My walk this morning ended in a nice visit with my neighbor across the street as she was out walking her dogs. She's a hoot!!

I looked up the gums ---

Locust bean gum. It is good for slowing the gastric processes, and is supposed to help lower cholesterol - so all good there.

Gellan Gum. 50/50 on the digestive stuff. Says in a study it was equally balanced between constipation and diarrhea. So hard to know.

I thought about the "ripple effects" of taking anything down to the family. When I was on my walk this morning my neighbor and I saw the man walking down into the woods -- he was carrying large plastic bags. One looked like a trash bag stuffed full. The others looks like grocery sacks. Evidence that they plan to stay a while. My neighbor notified the parks department guy who handles illegal campers. The worst part is the young girl being down there. She looks like a 12-14 year old. Not the best environment for a young girl. Just 2 weeks ago the police arrested a guy with a warrant for sex abuse. Creepy!

Got my sprinklers out and running this morning. My pedometer said I had walked 1300+ steps before I even started my walk around the park - so it will be a good day!

Hubby wants to go to the lake tonight. We will have to come home tomorrow evening because he has Father's Day plans with his daughters. They are going Zip Lining. FUN! I need to get some clothes and food together. Its always hard trying to figure out what to take with my limited diet. We already loaded the boat with cashews, granola bars, popcorn and other misc things. Good for hubby - but what do I eat? We will grab dinner before we go - probably from Ocean Sushi. So, breakfast and lunch/dinner and snacks for tomorrow. I can take a scoop of protein drink for breakfast, a container of frozen ground turkey thats already cooked, some cooked bacon. Gosh - thats all protein. We have some cut up watermelon in the fridge. I can eat cashews. We can grab dinner when we get back to town. That should work.

Friday Affirmations:

1. I am a beautiful woman inside and outside.
2. I am strong
3. I am confident
4. I am determined
5. I am loved
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Enjoy the lake.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Tomi, go over to loose ends and read the falling off primal article. The graph spoke to me and I think it might speak to you.

Last edited by Pedidoc on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:56 pm

cool article. I can relate. Although I don't ever fall off the wagon....... I do sit at the edge and dangle my leg over.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Hope you got all that done today. Good job on the early morning steps. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:21 pm

did a second lap -- dragging the hoses and moving the sprinkler has added a lot of steps to my day.  Total will likely be around 5000 today.  I won't be taking the pedometer to the lake - so I won't know.  Doesn't really matter.  I feeling pretty good.  Fatigued, but not as bad as in the past.  Certainly better than a month ago!  Praying I have the energy to climb up the hill out of the marina tomorrow.  

I'm gathering up my supplements, nightly sleep aids and foods that are safe for me to eat.  We should be leaving in about 2 hours.  Not looking forward to trying to sleep on the boat.  We have a King at home - and a Full on the boat.  its a bit tight.  I probably won't do my affirmations Saturday cuz no computer on the boat and I don't use my phone for such things. So - will check in on Sunday.  Smile  Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Enjoy Tomi
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:02 pm

Have a lovely weekend.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:29 am

Enjoy yourselves.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Had a really nice weekend. The lake was quiet as the weather was weird - sunny then a thunderstorm with a downpour! It was fun and interesting to experience the drastic changes in the weather. I did okay climbing up out of the marina - it was hard, but I managed okay. Smile

Yesterday hubby spend the day with his daughters and my good friend, A came over for lunch and spent the afternoon. We can always talk for 5 hours or more and never run out of stuff to talk about! Smile I so enjoy her company.

I did not walk yesterday, but got back to it this morning Smile

My sister sent me a link from a strange website, but its really interesting information on healing from the EBV. Of course it is all food based treatment. I'm doing some more study on the subject - so maybe more to come on this. I'm not sure where the science is behind the claims - so I need to investigate more.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:46 pm

I did okay climbing up out of the marina - it was hard, but I managed okay.

Well done! You are getting stronger!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:00 pm

+1 to M2M’s comment
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:06 pm