Re: Tomi found her way!

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:09 pm

Tomi, thank you I forwarded it on to you and replied with some info via PM
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:35 pm

so - day 3 of feeling like I've turned the corner and am starting to feel more like my old self again! Smile I'm happy about this! The gut is still giving me troubles and food must be spot on or I suffer for it. But - maybe in time that will change as well? I will continue with the treatment plan - fluconazole and low carb for now.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Hubby and I talked about vacation for next year and decided to go up into Washington State and drive up the coast. We will have a list of some places to stay along the most likely route but probably no solid reservations except for the first night. We have the best times when we have no set itinerary. So I will start looking for really great places to stay and eat, and attractions. We are both very much looking forward to it! Our last vacation was a 5th wheel trip down the Oregon coast five years ago.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Happy to hear you are feeling better.

Vacation sounds awsome
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:38 pm

So, last night I took a dose of Skull Cap tincture at 9:30, in my sleepy-time tea and with my melatonin and valerian. I wasn't sure it was working when I was still awake at 10:20, but it must have done something because, even though I was up 4 times to go pee - I didn't totally wake up until 10:30 this morning. Holy Cow! I've been sorta groggy all day. Tonight I will take the dose a bit earlier and maybe just a bit less.

I still managed to catch up all the book work for the boat shop. I have to prepare payroll tomorrow.

I'm struggling with snacking on "bad" things. Like granola bars and other things I'd rather not admit to. Embarassed Which probably accounts for the rise on the scale! GRRR. I have found that if don't drink my juiced up veggies and fruit before I eat breakfast it likely won't happen. So, that will be my goal - drink, then eat.

Even though I've been groggy today my energy is still on the rise.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:06 pm

the skull cap definitely helps me sleep - but again today I feel that fog of grogginess. I hope this will pass as my body adjusts to being in a deeper sleep through out the night. Since I have nothing on my plate as far as commitments and responsibilities I will continue using the skull cap and hope for good results to come.

I am going to try to venture out today. It's been nearly a month since I went out alone because I have been uncomfortable driving when I'm so fatigued and brain fogged. I have two small errands that can but don't need to be made and if today doesn't work they can easily be pushed to tomorrow.

My weight is starting to bother me again. I have gained and am at 208 now. Seventy pounds over a healthy weight for my height and body structure. I have been too lax in my eating habits lately and I have to get back to my strict diet and low calories.

I am starting my day with a large glass of juice made from romaine, spinach, carrots, cucumber, beets and apple. I will have 2 eggs instead of 3, and eat my ground turkey and bacon as an afternoon meal instead of with my eggs. Dinner will be roasted chicken breast and veggies. If I time my meals better through out the day I will be less likely to want to crazy through the kitchen when I'm feeling bored.

I think I am ready to start doing some kind of gentle movement again. I will do some very basic stretching and body weight exercises today.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:48 pm

I have calculated my juice calories at http://www.juicingcollection.com/juicing-calculator/ . I hope its fairly accurate. And I've put everything into MFP for the day. 1008 calories. That is where I need to be to lose weight.

I know my focus right now is on healing -- but I can't allow this gaining either. I'm okay with maintaining, but I so easily gain that I feel I need to keep a tight hold on things. I've been lazy about my diet - letting unhealthy things work their way in. I just want to get back down under 200 for now. I am concerned about other health issues related to obesity. Mainly type 2 diabetes, and htn. Plus - I am very uncomfortable at this weight. Just for information - I have gained 8 pounds in 3 weeks on an average of 1600 calories a day. So - it is important for me to stay at a lower calorie count. I know there is much debate about metabolism - but I know I have a slow metabolism. I have 57 years experience. The average woman can cut her calories to 1200 and lose 2 pounds a week. I have to cut to 800 to lose 1 pound per week. It sucks - but its true. Maybe when I am done with the candida treatment and my gut heals this will change -- I know I have most likely been unhealthy since I was a child - with a very poor diet from the start. So fingers crossed! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:57 pm

What does you NP say about trying to lose weight while working on healing your complicated issues?

I can't help but think that gaining weight might need to happen as your body finally gets the nutrients it needs. Health, IMO, is the important thing. Scale weight doesn't and shouldn't define anyone. I believe health has to be solid before long term body composition can happen.

If you are worried about diabetes and hypertension why not monitor those things daily. Walmart has inexpensive diabetes monitoring supplies.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi Marcadav!

She says I shouldn't bother trying to lose weight but I haven't talked to her about this recent gain. Good thought though - I will shoot her a text and see what she says.

I'm not worried about the number itself - it's the level of obesity that scares me.

I do have a glucose monitor - so far I'm fine, but working in a endo clinic for nearly 20 years has taught me that diabetes and htn are nothing you want to be tempting. I also have 2 sisters with type 2, one has htn - and my mom has htn. So, I do need to be careful.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:11 pm

My first thought is the 8 pound weight gain is inflammation. As cells heal they release all kinds of things. I honestly think you need to put the scale away until after the candida protocol at minimum.

As you have more energy, you can start setting simple step goals - I'd wear a pedometer for a few days to get your average daily steps then add 1,000 as your daily goal for 1-2 weeks, then up by 1,000 every 1-2 weeks.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:39 pm

thats good advice also, Kathi.

I heard back from my NP. Her response was simply that weight gain is very complicated. She says, "Ironically you may not be getting enough quality calories and it's shutting down your metabolism." Kinda the same concept as Jason Seib uses.

Thanks for letting me talk about this here - and for the advice. I do need to set aside the scales and just concentrate on eating healthy. Smile

And, yes, it is time to start adding in some movement again.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Quality calories is key. A higher carb food will have an insulin triggering effect that doesn't help burn fat vs, veggie or protein/fat. I gain weight on 1600 kcals, too if I don't watch the number of carbs in my day.

Be patient and allow your metabolism to resolve itself with nutritive food and time.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:40 pm

I know how frustrating it can be, it I have to second the other comments. Place your focus on healing for now. If you’re eating the right foods and you finally heal the weight loss will take care of itself. Maybe a tad slower due to the fibro, but it will happen. Use your faith.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:30 am

tomi1000 wrote:thats good advice also, Kathi.  

I heard back from my NP.  Her response was simply that weight gain is very complicated. She says, "Ironically you may not be getting enough quality calories and it's shutting down your metabolism."  Kinda the same concept as Jason Seib uses.  

Thanks for letting me talk about this here - and for the advice.  I do need to set aside the scales and just concentrate on eating healthy.  Smile  

And, yes, it is time to start adding in some movement again.  

Tomi, I hope you know I am not judging. We have been in this together for a long time. I am just giving you an honest response from my perspective. I think she is on the right track. Maybe the key is increased energy. I remember a time you were using the recumbent bike while watching tv or movies for extended periods of time. Maybe that would be the way to go versus steps?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote:Quality calories is key.  A higher carb food will have an insulin triggering effect that doesn't help burn fat vs, veggie or protein/fat.  I gain weight on 1600 kcals, too if I don't watch the number of carbs in my day.  

Be patient and allow your metabolism to resolve itself with nutritive food and time.

Yes - my weight seems to be very sensitive to "bad" carbs - especially since starting on the fluconazole. I hate to say this - but I'm happy to know you understand the low metabolism thing. Its really a struggle! Even if I use rice flours or other alternative flours - the carbs are just not good for me. Sad but true. I made the mistake of buying Einkorn flour (ancient, non-hybridized) and although my gut finds it perfectly fine --- it does cause the weight gain. So, I have been trying really hard to not use it. It makes yummy bread. Then again, for how, I'm not able to have it while on the candida diet anyway.

Narrowminded wrote:I know how frustrating it can be,  it I have to second the other comments. Place your focus on healing for now. If you’re eating the right foods and you finally heal the weight loss will take care of itself. Maybe a tad slower due to the fibro, but it will happen. Use your faith.

Patience...... I will be praying to be flooded with it! Smile

Pedidoc wrote:Tomi, I hope you know I am not judging.  We have been in this together for a long time.  I am just giving you an honest response from my perspective.  I think she is on the right track.  Maybe the key is increased energy.  I remember a time you were using the recumbent bike while watching tv or movies for extended periods of time.  Maybe that would be the way to go versus steps?

I never feel judgement from you Smile I will consider the slow steady movement on the recumbent - yesterday and today I did simple stretching through the arms and torso and high knee marching. I also went up and down the stairs more times than needed.

I really don't care if I "lose" weight right now - but I do want to maintain without gaining. Does that makes sense? But again - my first goal is to regain my gut health, and I know that the rest will follow.

My planned macro's are as follows: Calorie goal 1200. Carbs 30%. Fat 35% Protein 35% About 80% of my carbs are in my juice blend. The rest in veggies for dinner.

So - I started on this paleo thing in November 2011. I lost 14 pounds then nothing. The diet didn't help with my gut issues at all. So here I am- 6 years later and I finally know the cause of my gut issues, but I'm still struggling with the patience and process to get things fixed! Rolling Eyes Goodness!!!! Knowing and doing are two very different concepts!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Well, winter has come and nearly gone and I have barely left the house. I quit my job in October, and have been so fatigued that just showering and dressing to leave to the house has been a huge undertaking! The past month has been a worse struggle in the energy department! I have only left home ONCE in the past month. UGH! And that was just to go to the doctor, and hubby drove me. How can a person be so tired for so long? I will be so very happy to have this candida treatment over and done! I know that won't fix it all, but it is a start.

Yard guys came today and the yard is all mowed and cleaned up! I love it! I feel guilty for not doing it myself though - all my adult life the yard has been responsibility. But, a labor of love for sure. I hope I can start doing it again by fall.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Another beautiful pre-spring day! I so love the sunshine Smile

Its a quiet day - quiet weekend. Which is good. Rest is good. I'm sleeping pretty soundly now, must be the addition of the skull cap Smile Last night I was asleep shortly after I went to bed, was up only once to potty and slept until 8:30. Sleep is good - and my body is sure to appreciate the healing time.

Hubby's mom's house is almost done and ready to be sold. Maybe one more weekend of work and then all the projects should be done. It will be nice to have Saturdays with my hubby again.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Enjoy the day. Take some time to sit out in the sunshine when you can. I am glad you are sleeping well.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am

I ask hubby to go on a short walk with me this evening.  I emphasized "short"!  and short it was.  I made it about 1/2 a block and started to feel my energy drain and was getting sweaty - in 40 degrees!  so we turned around and came home - I was so tired by the time I got back to the sofa!  I'm hating this.  I can't believe this level of exhaustion is normal - but my NP tells me it is so I will trust and be patient with process.  

I have had a devil may care attitude to my eating the past 2 days.  Carbs haven't been off the charts but overall calories are double or more than what I normally eat.  (EDIT) I just looked at my macro's on MFP - and carbs have been just over 200 for the past 2 days! Twice where I should be while on the fluconazole. Tomorrow is new day and I will dial it back down. Weekend are harder cuz hubby is around and I have more self control when he's not.

Not much going on............... I was hoping to make a run to the grocery store tomorrow - but with my response to this very short walk tonight I'm not going to attempt it.  Hubby will be able to stop after work on Tuesday.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Tomi I’m so happy to hear about the improved sleep. That is truly wonderful news.

My GF is feeling a lot better following Dr Amy. Not sleep wise, but she’s posts a lot of inflammation and the pain is dying down. She is following the Cándida protocol
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:27 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Tomi I’m so happy to hear about the improved sleep. That is truly wonderful news.

My GF is feeling a lot better following Dr Amy. Not sleep wise, but she’s posts a lot of inflammation and the pain is dying down. She is following the Cándida protocol

that is very good to hear! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Rambling thoughts...............

Still sleeping really well. Last night I slept for 5 hours before I woke to use the potty. After that I slept another 5 hours, but it was more broken sleep. I'd like to say I'm feeling refreshed and energized - thats not the case - but it will come, I know it will come.

I managed to get out yesterday Smile I drove to the NP office and picked up my order of supplements. She gets Pure Encapsulation brand at 1/2 the retail price and does not mark up for her own profit. Smile It was a short trip, but enough to make me fuzzy brained so I decided not to stop at the store. When I got home I tackled a small gardening job - pruned 3 hydrangeas. No big deal - but it wiped me out. The plan for today was to go to the store, but I'm not going cuz I just don't have the energy. I will tackle a few more pruning jobs - I have about 20 hydrangeas to prune - and will take them in small batches. The air will do me good.

I'm going to try to change my diet a bit and focus specifically on nutrient dense foods. My body is obviously still in "storage" mode since it is not yet doing a good job of absorbing nutrients. I can't keep eating foods that are just going to get stored as fat - I need to think nutrition! I certainly have enough stored energy to live on for a while! I am 70 pounds over my healthy BMI range, and I just can not keep gaining! I've done some research this morning on nutrient dense juicing - and I am happy to say that my blend is already really good. Romaine, spinach, carrots, cucumber, beets, celery, and apple. I'm going to add blueberries.

I eat eggs and ground turkey, and usually bacon every day. I'm going to cut the bacon since its high fat, and not terribly nutritious. Dinners are almost always chicken or fish with broc/cauli/carrots.

So - the problem lies in the EXTRAs! The nibbles of things that should not be going into my body. I've been lazy about this since super bowl weekend. Hence - the weight gain! I'm up 7 pounds in a month. Most of the nibbling/snacking/grazing has been due to depression - I eat when I'm depressed - and I've been depressed (reasons are obvious). The other obvious reason is that I've been a total sloth for months now! I can't do much about that for now - not until I start to regain some energy, strength and stamina - but I can do a little. So - I need to adjust my diet to match my calorie needs for right now. I think the weight gain is causing more stress on my body and I certainly don't need more stress.

My plan................ eat the way I have been without the extras. I'm going to reduce my portions of protein and increase my portions of veggies at dinner. My diet is very protein heavy. I will let fat fall where it may. I'm also not going to eat until my body says its hungry. Not - "gee, I think I need to eat" but true hunger - tummy growling hunger.

I'm working on movement - setting my phone to tell me every 20 minutes to get up and do something. Walking, climbing the stairs, using the recumbent bike, getting outside. It might be only for a few minutes - but its better than nothing.

I've been grieving and feeling defeated since I learned the root cause of all my health issues is the viruses that will not go away. For 10 years I've been trying to slay a dragon that is immortal. Now, I have to accept that I will not slay this particular dragon. I need a new battle plan. I need to learn to live with the dragon. I need to learn how to thrive. I need to make my body strong so the dragon can't hurt me. I'm done being defeated! The grieving time is over.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:26 pm

Personally, I find that bacon is nutritious for my soul! Razz
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm

I agree with Pedidoc. The body also needs fat to help absorb vitamins and nutrients.

And FWIW, I lost a lot of weight while eating about 2 lbs of bacon a week.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:13 pm

Smile bacon is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Bless the piggies who give their lives so we can enjoy BACON! YUMMY!

My logic here is that my body is not USING the calories I'm feeding it - but storing them. So, I want to try minimizing high density/low nutrient calories to see what happens. Bacon fattiness - while scrumptious - might not be the right choice for my needs right now. But, that doesn't mean I will never eat it again. I just want to cut it for now to see if it helps overall. It's very low protein, zero carb and high fat. As for vitamins and minerals - practically nil accept for salt and B-12 but very little of that. My protein will come from fish and chicken and eggs.

I'm going to add spirulina and CoQ10 to my supplements (NP approved). I've read that statins reduce the naturally occurring CoQ10 in your body - and I'm taking Crestor. That is going to change sometime in the future, but for now its necessary as my cholesterol levels without meds are ridiculously high. Chalk it up to a stupid liver - as I was told by a cardiologist many years ago. I have read that high cholesterol is linked to hypothyroidism, which I also have - but logically you'd think as the thyroid is regulated by meds, the cholesterol would drop. But - I don't know.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 44 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 27 ... 44  Next