Tomi found her way!

Page 1 of 44 1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 44  Next

Go down

Tomi found her way!

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Well, it was a struggle but I finally got registered. Hi all MDA migrators! Smile Good to see some familiar names here.

I'm doing ........... well, okay, I'm doing crappy but I have hope for improvements in the new year. More testing and a new game plan is on the horizon. My diet is really good, yet I'm still hanging on to 60 pounds of very unwanted fat. Both my NP and my "needle-man" tell me that until my body is stronger the weight will not budge. So, I have to be patient. Energy has really tanked lately so I'm not doing much. My NP says to chose my activities carefully and absolutely no aerobic type activity. She wants me to start Tai Chi, use the hot tub, meditate, and too keep toxic people out of my life. I may start taking an anti-viral to see if that helps with the constant feeling of "I'm coming down with something".

I am enjoying being semi-unemployeed. I still do the books for the business, but I quit my job at the doctors office in October - it was long in coming and absolutely the right choice for my physical health and mental well being. I never realized how much stress I was having everyday worrying about whether or not I was going to be able to make it to the office to work my measly 4 hour job. Not having to do that lifted a very heavy burden. No my only regular stressor is taking care of my mom.

Anyway - good to find you all here! Very Happy
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomi found her way!

Post by KellieD on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi, Tomi!

KellieD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Tomi, so glad you found your way here. I'm following your journey and am so glad you are finding answers.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:35 pm

Hi Tomi looking forward to getting to know you better. I did read parts of your journal over on MDA, but don’t think I ever posted
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:43 am

Now to find your way to health. Welcome Tomi.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:18 am

So nice to see you here too! Welcome.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:12 am

I knew you'd come over but was worried you'd miss the info.

Glad to hear you are getting some help with your health issues.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:18 pm

tomi1000 wrote:Energy has really tanked lately so I'm not doing much.  My NP says to chose my activities carefully and absolutely no aerobic type activity.  She wants me to start Tai Chi, use the hot tub, meditate, and too keep toxic people out of my life.  I may start taking an anti-viral to see if that helps with the constant feeling of "I'm coming down with something".  

That sounds like an excellent prescription for many of us.  Stress is the worst health punch in the gut.  It's amazing how not having a stressful obligation frees up so much energy for healing.  Sounds like you have great support from your NP.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote:
That sounds like an excellent prescription for many of us.  Stress is the worst health punch in the gut.  It's amazing how not having a stressful obligation frees up so much energy for healing.  Sounds like you have great support from your NP.

Yes - stress is the worst thing we can allow our bodies to endure.  After much contemplation I realized I have spent the majority of my 57 years under a constant state of stress.  I have recently come to find my own inner peace - and my ability to not allow others to effect me in a negative manner.  I can walk away, pull out of bad relationships, and be okay with it.  My "win them by loving them more" policy has changed to "love me or don't, its no matter to me".  It feels good.  Still a little new and scary - but good.

I'm struggling with depression these days.  Learning that my illness is incurable, and untreatable has been a big blow to my hopeful spirit.  But, I'm working on embracing the concept of "manageable" instead.  With all the right information and a proper plan I will be able to find a higher level of health than what I'm currently living.  But, my NP says I will always have to be vigilant to keep my diet healthy, take the highest quality supplements, get enough rest and gentle movement and to keep my spirit in a place of peace and calm.  My 10 year quest for a cure is over - now my energy turns to researching and understanding what I must do to manage what is.  Making that mental transition is proving to be a huge challenge and my spirit is hurting.  I admit I fear for my future - and quite honestly I believe this will cut my life short, or shorter than I previously anticipated.  My body is weak, and struggles to fight the viruses that live inside me.  Unless I find the "magic formula" of diet, supplements and lifestyle I believe I won't grow to be an old woman.  Maybe not .............. its probably just the depression talking.  But my NP has cautioned me to get my flu shots, stay clear of sick people and stay vigilant.  

I sent off my urine test today.  Its a nutritional evaluation - measuring the metabolites in my urine which we will tell us what I'm utilizing and what my body is unable to absorb.  It will take 2 weeks to receive the results, then my NP wants a week to study it, talk with the lab with any questions, formulate plan to start getting me stronger - then we will meet and begin to formulate a plan of action.  Vitamins, minerals, herbal supplements, essential oils, Ayurveda, anti-viral drugs, Tai Chi, meditation, healthy diet and a positive attitude will all be a part of the formula.  

So, my husband has been diagnosed with RA.  He is being managed with a few rather unsettling drugs, but the inflammation and pain is being controlled.  The fevers are gone for now and his energy is almost back to normal.  He is now on an anti-inflammatory diet and is having to rest more than he used to.  Planning meals for the 2 of us is now a bit easier as our diets are a bit closer and easier to match up.  We have more changes to make - more nutrient rich foods, as in fruits and veggies.  We'll be working on that.

I'm happy to be writing in a journal again.  With everything thats happening I need the mental expression and emotional release.  I think this will help with my depression.

Last edited by Lovebird on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Hi Tomi. I hope you don't mind... just edited the message to show the quote and answer the way you intended... No change on the content whatsoever. LB)
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Hi Everyone! Marcadav sent me a note on messenger and gave me the website info and said a lot of MDA people have moved on over. Smile I passed it on to Honeybuns. Anyone hear from Paula lately? what about the man with the brain tumor.......... I think about him a lot and wonder whats happened. He seemed like such a fighter! And Tasha ........ (nameless) is she around?
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 pm

David - he checked in briefly and then disappeared again.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:49 am

Tomi, when I first had IBS issues, 10 years ago, there was little information as to cause and even less solutions to my particular problem. Now, there's tons of info that's getting closer to resolving the harder cases. At least the knowledge and tests are not so out of reach.

Don't give up on the "cure". You're on the right track with nutrition, diet and a good doctor's support. Science and those awesome researchers are always turning corners with new findings.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:53 am

Pedidoc wrote:David - he checked in briefly and then disappeared again.

According to the memberlist at MDA that must have been a different David, Kathi... but you did leave a message in the right journal. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote:Tomi,  when I first had IBS issues, 10 years ago, there was little information as to cause and even less solutions to my particular problem.  Now, there's tons of info that's getting closer to resolving the harder cases.  At least the knowledge and tests are not so out of reach.

Don't give up on the "cure".  You're on the right track with nutrition, diet and a good doctor's support.   Science and those awesome researchers are always turning corners with new findings.

thank you for the encouragement Smile I explained in my last entry on the MDA site what I have found out about my health troubles. Maybe I should explain here so everyone understands.

My IBS is a result of an over worked immune system. Tests for antibodies show high levels for 3 viruses - viruses that remain in the body for life. Roseola, Epstein-Barr, and Cytomegalovirus. My NP says having all 3 of these is quite rare, most people have one, some of have 2, but not many have the trifecta. Because these viruses are rather tenacious my body is working in constant overdrive to keep them at bay. All this work from my gut - the primary source of the immune system - is resulting in little resources left for the business of digestion. So, for me, there is no cure. Unless science comes up with a cure for viruses, my body will always be in this state of war to keep the enemy armies from invading. But, there are tools for managing the problem. Getting my system stronger so it is better equipped to deal with both the viruses and my digestion is the focus.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:24 pm

Tomi thank you for updating what is creating your health issues. Here’s hoping something will come up for at cure for at least one of them.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:28 am

A cure would be awesome - but considering they are viruses I don't hold out much hope. I just need to find the best way to manage the symptoms and to get my body stronger. I'm looking forward to getting started!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Bloody hell, 3 viruses. I'm betting L-Lysine may be in your arsenal. Some interesting research on thwarting bug replication.

NO doubt you're choosing the best track to keep you strong. Hang in there.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:21 am

I have been reading about L-Lysine, among other things. I'm in limbo until we get the urine test results. But I am always reading, learning and hoping for things to get better. I'm hoping to get started on anti-virals right away. Yup - 3 viruses - lucky me.

We've been crazy busy with canning for the kids. I think we're done now. This year, lamb, chicken and beef curries, chicken soup, chili, tuna, salsa and candied jalapeno's. 116 quarts and 40 pints. It feels good to have it done. I'm sure I'm going to crash tomorrow.

We hoped in the dune buggy and went for a spin at 9pm tonight! Smile it was freezing cold, but it was fun! I had on a turtle neck, a sweat shirt and a big puffy coat - a scarf and gloves too! If I can figure it out I'll post a picture of the dune buggy........

I've started going to mom's every week. She is 92 now, still living in her own little apartment. I take her freezer meals, pay the bills and do her shopping. I usually try to stay and visit for a couple hours, but with the winter upon us, and daylight ending at 4:30, I don't always get to stay as long as she would like. I don't see well at night and driving is difficult so I try to be home before dark.

I've increased my calories a bit - I'm guessing I'm eating 1600 a day. I've gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks. So tomorrow I go back to 1200. If I want to lose this weight I will need to drop to 800. I know - sounds drastic but its the only way for me. My metabolism is screwed up.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeangenie on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:42 am

You manage to be very busy and active! Well done!
Hoping for a good result when you get going on the anti virals.
jeangenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 am

Post a pic of all your canning! Hope you don't crash today.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:43 pm

jeangenie wrote:You manage to be very busy and active! Well done!
Hoping for a good result when you get going on the anti virals.

My energy comes in spurts! I knew the weekend was going to be crazy with canning so I planned for a quiet week prior. It served me well as my energy got me through the thick of things. Once all the jars were filled and ready to be processed, hubby took over and I was given a respite to relax until the next round. He and I work very well together on projects - we don't get in each others way, we tend to come along and finish what the other started, and we both take turns with clean up. We have a lot of fun and always have the music on our favorite tunes. Smile Being married to your best friend makes life pretty easy!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:17 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Post a pic of all your canning! Hope you don't crash today.

Thanks, Kathi - Actually I'm doing really good today, aside from a bit of the usually tummy troubles. I had a rough night with fibro leg pain (happens when I'm on my feet for long periods), but I was still awake at 8 am and have done a lot of bill paying and assorted administrative duties.

My tummy issues are not as bad since I've been seeing "needle-man". The herbal blend calms my gut so things move more slowly. I still don't plan to leave the house before noon because I'm never sure how the day is going to play out, but overall I'm doing better than I was before I started the herbs. I'm eating healthy but still on a very limited diet. I have found that I'm able to tolerate Einkorn flour at least digestion-wise. I have noticed I still get the weight gain from eating wheat. Not sure if its the gluten or the carbs but I always see a gain when I eat anything baked with Einkorn flour. I'm going to stay clear of it for a few weeks and see if my weight settles back down.

A Christmas Party this evening will keep me up late, so I'm hoping to be able to sleep soundly tonight.

We have been storing away the canned jars for safe keeping until the kids come for Christmas to take their shares. I will try to remember to snap a pic once they are all set out
on Christmas day.

As promised - here is a picture of our little dune buggy. Hubby found it in a farmers field with weeds growing up through the floor boards - he had it completely restored. Thats me taking my sister for a spin last summer.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Neat Dune buggy, great job on the restoration.

I used to can, maybe someday again. Sounds like you do quite a bit, I'm sure the kids will be thrilled.

If you don't mind, I'd love if you share the candied Jalapeño recipe. Sounds awesome.

Hope you can sleep tonight.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeangenie on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:38 am

Great picture! Looking forward to seeing the canning.
I am with you on the wheat. I get my arthritis back as soon as I eat it. Luckily, these days there are so many alternative recipes. I don't miss it - other people worry that I might be missing out! They just don't get it.
jeangenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 am

tomi1000 wrote:Once all the jars were filled and ready to be processed, hubby took over and I was given a respite to relax until the next round.  He and I work very well together on projects - we don't get in each others way, we tend to come along and finish what the other started, and we both take turns with clean up.  We have a lot of fun and always have the music on our favorite tunes.  Smile  Being married to your best friend makes life pretty easy!  
Loved reading that.

How cool is that to find an abandoned buggy and then lovingly restore it. Looks brand new and bet it's a lot of fun to drive.
That's nice to read your mom remains mostly independent in her home at 92 and that she has you to watch out for her.
Glad to read the herbs are helping. Wheat does a number on me as well. Major inflammatory trigger. Joints become painful if I start and takes 3 weeks for it to calm down after I stop ingesting it.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 44 1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 44  Next