Every day remains a wandering road

Page 4 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 33  Next

Go down

Re: Every day remains a wandering road

Post by perennialpam on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Yikes!! It was -14F here this morning! Nothing like you. Properly hatted and dressed and inside a house/vehicle, fine. Otherwise bitter even with no wind.

That lights sounds all the more important as going outside is properly avoided.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:24 pm

ONTARIO wrote:I feel your pain. In Ontario we are near -30 C with the windchill. I read today that it's colder in Winnipeg than it is at the Arctic Circle. Shocked

Canada.....live half your life in winter........  When is summer coming???

Exactly why we plan to retire on Vancouver Island Very Happy

I hear much of Canada was colder than Mars and Antarctica today....
Evil or Very Mad
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:53 am

Greensprout wrote:

Sounds like a great plan!

FWIW I like the song, even though it's a very sad song compared to the original by Tears for Fears. I'm sure it was a dark day when you chose to share it, yet understand the worries that others have voiced. Not many of us can truly understand what you're going through, but know that we're here for you in case you'd like to vent or need some sort of distraction. Your plan of action for getting some TLC is a good one, hope you'll enjoy it thoroughly.

Last edited by Lovebird on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:31 am

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:34 am

Love that song LB.  I should try to send it to my breast cancer friend too! Thank you...it worked. Smile
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:55 am

Greensprout wrote:
ONTARIO wrote:I feel your pain. In Ontario we are near -30 C with the windchill. I read today that it's colder in Winnipeg than it is at the Arctic Circle. Shocked

Canada.....live half your life in winter........  When is summer coming???

I hear much of Canada was colder than Mars and Antarctica today....
Evil or Very Mad

Will you have a spare room? Laughing

But, seriously, I have a cousin, through marriage, that moved from Ottawa to Victoria, BC and they LOVE it. It's so seasonally pleasant there. I've seen pictures of him on FB mowing his lawn in December - what wonder! In fact, they were very excited to have some snow at Christmas this year. I could get used to that sort of weather.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:45 am

Sounds like a good plan from here too. While not as cold as the rest of you, my body just can’t take it anymore. I get anxious when I have to take the dog out and no amount of layers etc seem to help.

Thinking of you GS and hoping today is a much better day. Please vent here as needed
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:00 pm

The frigid spell continues.  Don’t think it got above -30C yesterday, today warmed to -25C.

Feeling rather smug that I placed an online grocery order that just needed pickup today, I headed out.  My car hadn’t been used in perhaps 3 days, was in the (unheated) garage, but hadn’t been plugging block heater in.  Overnight temps outside have been mid -30s.  Plugged in for an hour before going.  Started, though sluggish, let run for close to 10 min then headed out.  Idled engine while waiting for order to be brought to the car.  Turned off engine for maybe 4-5 minutes while we loaded the trunk.  Started sluggishly.  Backed out, started forward, and my car died.   Evil or Very Mad   Called hubby for rescue.  Of course, I was in an awkward spot in busy grocery parking lot early afternoon.  I was quite surprised at all the stink eye and nasty looks I got, despite having hazard lights on. One crazy woman even yelled at me as she passed “move your car, you can’t just stop there!!”  I opened my door and replied “well, if it would start, I’d move”.  She muttered something as she kept walking.  Seriously???  It was freaking-27!  So finally, as I saw hubby approaching, one older dude in a mini van with slogans for a church or religious group stopped and asked if I needed a boost, thanked him but as hubby was there, no need for his assistance.  Someone else helped hubby push my car out of the way and thankfully, the boost worked.  Not quite what I expected for today!  Made it home with hubby following, car now plugged in inside garage and will stay there for now.  Don’t have to be anywhere tomorrow, and we may look at picking up a new battery on Tuesday.

In for the night, boys are out.  About to make shrimp, sweet potato and snap peas.  Have prosecco on hand.

Happy New Year to all, and thanks for all the words of support.  2018 will be a year for self care, as I look toward my 50th birthday in March.

Last edited by Greensprout on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:23 am

My, my, re: the angry lady. I do not understand what is so hard about putting yourself in other's shoes. Of course, we do not know what she was going through either....

Happy New Self Care Year Missy.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 pm

So sorry about the car ordeal. Hopefully things will only improve.

Awesome goal for 2018
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Am off this week too, return to work next Monday, though hubby returned today.  Son #1 returning to school in Toronto in 2 days.

The cold snap seems to be breaking, was actually up to -15C today, which felt pretty darn nice after the past 2 weeks.  Car started nicely today.

Had first facial in perhaps 2 or 3 years.  Was quite lovely, perhaps the best facial experience I’ve had.  Will aim to do it more regularly, and will likely return to the same gal, who’s been as esthetician for 25 years, so seems to know her stuff.  Chatted much about diet being related to wellness and skin condition, she’s very like minded.  And the product line this place uses is very natural ingredient based.  Did purchase one product, a bit cost prohibitive to jump into a whole line all at once.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Sounds like a nice relaxing day. Amazing how a 10 degrees or so warm up feels great even when the number is still below zero
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:38 pm

Good for you, GS. I love your 2018 mantra.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Greensprout wrote:2018 will be a year for self care, as I look toward my 50th birthday in March.

Excellent goal, and I love that you are not dreading the big 5-0. So many get wound up in age when in fact it should be celebrated.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks, NM, Pedi and M2M. Might as well face reality head on and take care of me.

Had first massage in close to 2 years today. New place, close by with excellent reviews online. Did full body with focused time on trouble areas. Wow. Some of it was nearly painful, but in a good way. Had to focus on breath at points, but needed work. Perhaps the best therapeutic massage I’ve had. Will return to the same gal, who it turns out shares my birthday, and has a brother who was career army and medically released due to PTSD. Interesting. Currently sitting on ice packs for my upper glutes/hips due to the deep tissue work, as recommended by the RMT. All good.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:19 pm

GS sounds like that therapist was meant just for you. Awesome.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:56 am

Funny how things work out sometimes. I agree with NM, she was meant for you. My massages sometimes earn me some sore muscles too.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:35 pm

GS I'm glad you had a good massage. The therapist seems ideal. You've done a facial and a massage, what about a pedicure next?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Pedicure will wait until I get over current bout of athletes foot, boo, been sporadic ever since basic training in the mid 80s... definitely before the cruise. Considering gel polish, have never done that.

Tender in many spots today post massage. Felt it on upper glutes immediately, today also upper forearms and some spots in shoulders/neck/upper back. She did a lot of trigger point deep work. Might do an Epsom salt bath tonight.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:20 pm

The Epsom bath will help. I've got a massage tomorrow and anticipate needing one tomorrow night.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 am

I also vote for Epsom Salt Bathes....nothing like them...with a book.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:45 am

perennialpam wrote:I also vote for Epsom Salt Bathes....nothing like them...with a book.  

And a glass of wine..... Laughing
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:21 pm

Bath last night was accompanied by a glass of red and a show on my ipad (can prop it up on basket of facecloths at end of tub out of harms way).  Lovely.  Felt better, which continued into today.  Afterwards, ended up sleeping nearly 10 hours Shocked , which apparently was needed.

Back to the office tomorrow after 2 weeks off.  See psychologist end of day.

Made a winter squash soup in the IP, accompanied with baked cod, roasted sweet potatoes and steamed snow peas.

Oh, has finally warmed up. Was -1C/30F and it felt positively balmy after the last 2 weeks. Was out in thin down jacket with no need for scarf or hat, and even no gloves from car to shops. Quite lovely.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:02 pm

Glad the bath, wine, and relaxing led to much needed rest.

I can not fathom living in the cold again (4 years in Massachusetts growing up). We are to hit 70s F tomorrow.

Soup sounds lovely.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Happy to hear you had a pleasant day today. We also got a bit warmer, -10/23. Even 23 felt balmy after the cold snap.

I need to try one of those baths, sounds wonderful.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 33  Next