Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tidy Magic

+8
OnTheBayou
Pedidoc
Meant2Move
Heuristicfireflower
nikitakolata
Narrowminded
Lovebird
Annieh
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tidy Magic - Page 2 Empty Re: Tidy Magic

Post by Annieh Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:52 am

Yay for the empty carrier bag.

I am working on my pantry. I found: pasta, rice, couscous, flour, oats, muesli, crackers, biscuits, lentils, beans, muesli bars, candy canes, soy oil (yikes, yuk), liquer, sherry, sprite, strawberry jelly, chia seeds and linseed.

No wonder I am having trouble keeping on the primal path.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 am

OTB thanks for the heads up on the Goodwill stores. I ve been in one once on my life, and the one I went to was a junk heap literally. Nothing was neatly arranged, but for 2/hr, who would take pride in their work. The items displayed should have mostly all been in the garbage.

AT great job getting after the bag of stuff. While I have lots to tidy, bag stuffing was never one of my things. Now my cupboards are another story...

Annie, yes our pantries can make or break us. I have a few things in there, but I do my best to keep it free of the stuff I should it should not have
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 am

Narrowminded wrote:OTB thanks for the heads up on the Goodwill stores.  I ve been in one once on my life, and the one I went to was a junk heap literally. Nothing was neatly arranged, but for 2/hr, who would take pride in their work.  The items displayed should have mostly all been in the garbage.

AT great job getting after the bag of stuff. While I have lots to tidy, bag stuffing was never one of my things. Now my cupboards are another story...

Annie, yes our pantries can make or break us. I have a few things in there, but I do my best to keep it free of the stuff I should it should not have

Goodwill's are run by local non-profits, such as Goodwill of Austin, or where I live, Goodwill of Manasota. Store experiences seem to be like any other business, there are better and worse(er?) run places. The GW in Florida seemed more intent on spending their money on new buildings than providing low cost goods to the public, let alone so-called job training.

Yes, as to keeping junky foods out of the house! Snares! Entrapment!

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:10 pm

OnTheBayou wrote:Snares!  Entrapment!
You are so right.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:04 pm

Completely forgot to update here yesterday. Amongst the things I accomplished yesterday, I managed to get thru 3 drawers of clothing. My sock drawer needed a major overhaul and is now nearing done Konmari way.

I also did my drawer of. Sleepware and then my WO clothing drawer.

Nice to have those cleared of clutter and looking spectacular.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:51 am

The second BIG tidy magic gets underway today.

Those from the MDA forum might recall that I undertook a first BIG tidy magic a couple of years ago. One where I really did try and follow the approach of getting everything out and together in a big pile. In order to be able to do that I had to wait for a time home alone, which is a rare event for most people who do not live alone.

Anyway, it is not yet 9am and both males have left the building and they are not due back until 10pm at least. Then, they are literally only sleeping in their beds before setting off tomorrow for some father-son bonding time away - without me!! Yippee!

They aren't coming back until Thursday so I should get four/five days to tip the house upside down before putting it back together again.

In some ways I am much more excited about this tidy magic time, because last time involved sorting through boxes from the garage, and I tackled them one box at a time, whereas this time is all about rearranging and reorganising the house, hopefully with plenty of decluttering at the same time.

ALSO, the true KM method, which involves getting everything out and assessing it will be in operation this time.

Due to space and time restrictions I will still be tackling each shelf or drawer at a time, but I am hoping to have enough space to create "piles" or "boxes" of similar items BEFORE having to then re-home them all, but hopefully just the once and in an appropriately sized storage location.

This attempt is getting in to the tricky realm of paperwork and miscellany - which are my Achilles heel.

I have made several attempts in the past, and have made some progress, but this time I need to include those half-finished projects in order to get the complete picture.

Wish me luck!!

Oh, and I will try and post regular updates both for my sanity and to look back on my progress because sometime very soon it is going to look very messy round here - i.e. the storm before the calm.

Today is only a mini-start because the boys will be coming home tonight and some of what I have planned involves B's room - but I am hoping to get that stage out of the way today, and all back behind closed cupboard doors without him ever knowing!

Also, today is less about paperwork and more about moving items that are seasonal in to more accessible places (and also moving anything either of mine or that I might want access to out of B's room - its too stressful for me to deal with going in to his teenage pit these days!)
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:19 am

AutumnTiger wrote:Wish me luck!!

Good luck!! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:11 am

Thanks, LB Smile

Part 1 is successful.

I have moved all things of mine out of B's room; DH's old laptops and electricals have replaced my board games, and the camping bedding has replaced the seasonal coats cupboard that we very rarely use, but which actually has "dress" coats and jackets in that we should and would wear more often if the were more accessible.

I was in danger of becoming waylaid by the bedding, which has found itself in two places since we got a bed with drawers underneath, and the fact that B now has a double so there are no single beds in the house. However, the bedding was not due a sort out, so I quickly split it simply into doubles and singles, with the singles back in the airing cupboard in B's room for later KM. (DH somehow has a strange affinity for bedding and would keep it all - something he learned from his mum, perhaps?)

Stopping for breakfast (11am) and to plan round 2, which is now between the areas that are mine, and involves my lower wardrobe, i.e. the wardrobe floor where I am still trying to find a workable solution for bags and shoes, etc. This area was tackled a couple of weeks ago, but my "solution" has not withstood the trial period, so a new approach is called for - this could take the rest of the day!! It is not a large area, but has always - in every house bar the one we were only in for ten months, been an issue. The problem is simply just not the right kind of space, but as that can not be manufactured, and any future house may be smaller with less room, I am plodding on with my attempts.
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:40 am

Well done so far. *thumbs up*

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:45 am

Good luck! It's a monumental task, I'm sure. But it's worth the effort.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:49 am

Woohoo!

Don't you just love it when something comes together. My new plan for the base of my wardrobe just works! Hopefully, I will like it that way in the long term, but I just felt it all click in to place.

Just as good is the way the plan is working out in the spare room.

Somehow, I do appear to have managed to manufacture space. It just goes to show that it really is all about having the right things in the right places!

The plan has worked so well that I have even had time to sort through some clothes, or rather t-shirts. I have managed to part with many, and several more are ear-marked for either photos or cutting out the meaningful areas - most of my t-shirts are either band tour shirts or from locations, so they really do mean a lot to me! But some of them are just not really wearable any more!!

The best part is that I have tidied up behind myself and there is no sign in the house that anything has happened!

Not sure if I am done for the whole day yet, but the next phase will be starting on the tough stuff and will require things to be left out, and the starting of the piles, so I might start that tomorrow, which was the original intention (today originally had a different plan, and should have just been a normal weekend day with everyone at home). I think I am going to take some time out for myself. Also, England are playing in the World Cup quarter finals, and Wimbledon is on!

Time for lunch (although its nearly 3pm!)
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:52 pm

Awesome job AT. I so wish I had the time for a true KM. So many things need done. I did a teeny tiny piece of rearranging today, but I need a good sort and toss/donate. You are inspiring me. Can’t wait to follow along.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 pm

By now I'd like to think you've sorted and tossed out a great deal and are making astounding progress. Must say, I am a tad envious of your alone time and how you are spending it.

Still cheering you on!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:10 am

AT, somehow I missed that you were doing this. GOOD LUCK, I hope it worked out really well and you are maintaining the progress. If you can post an update that would be cool.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Have to add my DD I’d a huge KM of her clothes etc on Sunday. Then she even scrubbed the carpets. Feels nice knowing that’s done. Didn’t ask her, she just did it.

Now, if I could do the same.....
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:49 am

So after family crisis stopped progress during my week off, I have resumed KM/TM

I'm back to only being able to tackle individual areas but yesterday I sorted out a small shelf (about 1sq ft).

A good 3-4 inch thick pile of printing and magazines went in the recycling and the shelf now only contains things to keep.

There is a small overflow pile of items needing their forever home and they will be grouped with similar items when their time comes
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:49 am

AT - great job getting back to KM/TM. You’re doing awesome!
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Hmm, I appear to have lost some posts .... this is the missing one:

Modest progress yesterday as I tackled a bag in which all the odds and ends lying around the house were "tidied" into ahead of the family visit at the weekend.
Slower progress than the shelf as much more of this is keeper material and some of it needing properly putting away.
The good news is that the process is making me more generally tidy minded and I am taking care of some of my usual clutter hotspots. So the sofa has been clear since the weekend, and yesterday I tidied off the top of one of my chests of drawers and put away the clothes that are left to air when they can be worn again before laundry.
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 pm

The bag mentioned above is now empty, the sofa and dining table are still clear. All new post has been filed. The footstool has not acquired anything extra (it is currently my reading pile, for books that will be read and then re-homed).

I have started on another box of pre-sorted stuff, and have found some bits to recycle/throw away and some that have been filed appropriately.

I am back at the stage where the "year envelopes" box is back in play. This is the pre-sorting mechanism I decided on before I make the decision on whether to store things like tickets in a collage or make annual scrapbook diaries of those kinds of things.
The way it works is that I have a filing box that contains A4 envelopes - one for each year - stood upright and as I come across tickets/paper mementos from that year they are placed in the relevant envelope.
As always, there are exceptions, for example lots of my holiday tickets etc, are still in the card wallets I received them in, so those have gone in to their own box. Likewise, many of my ice hockey tickets (from the first time around) are also gathered together in one pile/box rather than split across the years. But for gig tickets and other events, that are less frequent, it is easier to have them split over the years. I am leaning towards going with annual scrap books.

Finally, I have continued to be tidy minded, so most of the clearing away from the party at the weekend has been done. It has taken all week to use up all the extra food stuffs, which were stored in various (mains powered) cool boxes. General household tidiness prevails as well.
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:59 am

AT - this all sounds absolutely wonderful. Congrats to you for keeping your hotspots clear!
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:26 pm

My spare room has an empty dresser and an almost empty wardrobe, but also far more things than will go in those spaces.

Daughter put our family games on the wardrobe shelf, which was my plan, but they didn't all fit. Some culling could solve that but at the moment there's no space to bring them all down for sorting.

I am reluctant to use the lovely wardrobe for my non-joyful work stuff, but on the other hand having it all out of sight will make me happier so I think I will go ahead and do that and then take it from there. Under the bed would be a more accessible option, but there's a spare mattress and yoga mat to consider. It's like a never ending spiral.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:51 am

I need to really get going on the down size. You are an inspiration Annie.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:53 am

Annieh wrote:Grok would surely have valued his few possessions, and kept them in a special shelf in his cave.  A blunt tool would have been sharpened, not discarded, but even in a world before plastic he may have had to throw out the occasional broken plate.

Now that we have cut the junk from our diets, many are inspired to do the same to our immediate environment.  Let's share our insights here:

I LIKE this thread. Thank you for bringing it to the top Annieh.

I think the key word Annie used in her opening post is "few possessions." The less you have, the easier it is to keep tidy. My ex kept everything and now, I throw out everything, freely and joyfully. Ok, not everything, but my thought process to purchasing has been enhanced. " Ohhhh, I love that and gotta have it!!!!!! Will you love it tomorrow? Where's it going to go? What has to leave the house to make space? What are you going to do with the other item that has to go? Who is going to take it away? Does it bring you joy and can you part with it? I use this method for everything from furniture to coffee mugs. Sometimes I buy and sometimes don't; it has really helped streamline my spaces. I also do not purchase things until they scream at me. I have had an empty wall in my house for years waiting for the right wall hangings to scream buy me! The possessions I do have make me smile because of the stories behind them.

M and I were going camping and passed through a very small town.I caught a glimpse of a lime green side table in a store window and had to have it. M graciously turned the truck, trailer and all, around. We own it now for $25 and it sits proudly next to the big brown chair. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but I smile every time I look at it. Smile M enjoys telling this story of his quirky wife.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:23 am

Bump!

Still at this.

In my defence we have been through two house moves, the first of which we hardly got the chance to settle into before we knew we were moving on again. The second move has essentially been a down-size.

We're now in a chalet bungalow, so there is an attic room(third bedroom), but that means no loft. And we had a lot of stuff in our loft. However, two things have helped. There is a surprisingly roomy crawl space in the eaves, which is sufficient for Christmas decorations and suitcases. So that solved one of our potential problems. Second, we now have one large shed and one small shed, which allows DH to have a mini workshop and keep his hobby stuff in the large shed (and the chest freezer) and we keep camping stuff and garden tools in the small shed - it is chock full but it just about works.

The new house also has a large conservatory, which acts as a dining room and utility space - the washer and tumble dryer are out there. There's also room for a small sofa and DH's keyboard.

So, we still have a three bed house with dining space.

What we don't have is the oodles of built in cupboards we had in the last house! We knew that before we moved and made a big effort to reduce our stuff.

I had to let go of a lot of books - all my Open University study texts had to go, along with most of the notes. But Science has moved on. And while it was a wrench at the time, I haven't missed them. Seeing them made me proud, but I didn't use them. And actually, I just realised I could just frame my certificate and put that up!
Also, my attitude to books has since changed. I was able to create some spaces for them and they can't overflow those spaces.
I'm better at not collecting them. Particularly fiction books. I still have a few series that I truly love to have in physical format. And they fit in their space.
I have an overflow box designated read and release for those books that made the move but are not to stay permanently.

Clothes etc are down to the minimum, but the storage space in our bedroom - all built-in wardrobes - doesn't work for us. It's all hanging rails and we need lots of drawers.
I've done a few rearranges since we moved in but can't settle with it.
It's going to be a shame and an expense to replace it all, but I feel it is inevitable.
We actually also have a genuine reason to remove the wardrobes, too - they are on an outside wall, which means the wall can't breathe. We're worried about damp and there's a draught whenever you open a wardrobe door. There's a few small drawers in the dressing table section in the middle and everything coming out of them is cold.

So, I'm really down to miscellany - paperwork and mementoes.
This is mostly all currently in the bits of storage the house does have. There are some narrow cupboards lining one side of the top of the stairs. Just deep enough to take a bankers box file. Perfect for my paperwork. And there are two deeper, half height cupboards, opposite that, under the roof. The beauty of a bungalow is the long roof!

I'm aiming to digitise most of the paperwork, but trying to get it orderly first. Although maybe I should just scan and shred. Its probably equally time-consuming to try and sort it all first as it would be scanning one page at a time.
Especially as our printer scanner takes a USB, so transfer is relatively simple.

Overall, while still a work in progress, I feel that I've come a long way, and that the end of this journey may be in sight.
There's definitely a vision now.

I also feel very differently about stuff. I do have to truly love it. I do less making-do. There is still some old to weed out, I don't have the budget to do it all at once. But each replacement is done right.

Onwards!
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:00 am

Congrats on your progress so far. Your wardrobe comments got me thinking.

I wonder if it performs an insulating function. If it were removed, perhaps the whole room would be cold.

It also made me wonder if you need a cool store?

Thanks for bumping this thread.

Annieh
Annieh

AutumnTiger likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum