Moving Forward Toward Better Health

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Moving Forward Toward Better Health

Post by Rig D on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:47 am

Pedidoc wrote:And yet they took the final. Didn't matter they both did not pass.
Ya gotta wonder. If you have your F nailed down, why waste the time and effort to take the final? Possibly a light day during finals week? Or is there still the concept of an "Incomplete" grade that hangs around causing scheduling problems if you don't do the final?
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:53 am

Must tell this story. You may not know that I received my BS late in life at 56. One requirement was physical education type classes so I took Pilates and Hip Hop. The Pilates was a great choice....Hip Hop, not so much.

I love to dance and the ability to do some newer dance moves was intriguing. Hahahaha. The time came when I had to bend down, hands in front of me on the floor with one leg out to the side, and TRY to swing it around and under me. Thankfully that occurred fairly early in the class and I was able to leave the class before I'd have a failure grade. The instructor was not "shall we say, understanding". I forget the term for withdrawing at that point but it did not effect my grade point average.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 am

"Back in the olden times(late '60's)" we called it Dropping. You had to do it fairly early in the term to escape cleanly with no gpa or transcript impact, and no professorial critique involved.  

I remember one time I dropped the second course in a series. The reason for dropping as stated on the drop form was "I had this guy for the first course in the series, and don't intend to suffer through another term with him 'teaching'". I had to turn it in to the Dean, he read it, got a good chuckle and signed it.

It is a concept that perhaps a few of Pedidoc's students should master.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:14 am

Rig D wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:And yet they took the final. Didn't matter they both did not pass.
Ya gotta wonder. If you have your F nailed down, why waste the time and effort to take the final? Possibly a light day during finals week? Or is there still the concept of an "Incomplete" grade that hangs around causing scheduling problems if you don't do the final?

I think they were hoping to miraculously pull a final grade of a low C. What is particularly bad is if it is their second failure, they are out of the program.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 am

perennialpam wrote:Must tell this story.  You may not know that I received my BS late in life at 56.  One requirement was physical education type classes so I took Pilates and Hip Hop.  The Pilates was a great choice....Hip Hop, not so much.  

I love to dance and the ability to do some newer dance moves was intriguing.  Hahahaha.  The time came when I had to bend down, hands in front of me on the floor with one leg out to the side, and TRY to swing it around and under me.  Thankfully that occurred fairly early in the class and I was able to leave the class before I'd have a failure grade.  The instructor was not "shall we say, understanding".  I forget the term for withdrawing at that point but it did not effect my grade point average.  

This gave me a good laugh. Too bad they didn't decide to withdraw when they could.....
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:23 am

Rig D wrote:"Back in the olden times(late '60's)" we called it Dropping. You had to do it fairly early in the term to escape cleanly with no gpa or transcript impact, and no professorial critique involved.  

I remember one time I dropped the second course in a series. The reason for dropping as stated on the drop form was "I had this guy for the first course in the series, and don't intend to suffer through another term with him 'teaching'". I had to turn it in to the Dean, he read it, got a good chuckle and signed it.

It is a concept that perhaps a few of Pedidoc's students should master.

One who did drop after the second exam appealed being kicked out of the program. She withdrew failing and had a previous failure. Her rationale was research isn't an important class......the first class she failed was pharmacology, I have to wonder if she didn't feel it was an important class. We really try to graduate safe potential nurses who won't kill anyone!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:30 am

Great sleep last night. Up before my alarm, so another lazy start to the day. I'm having some stomach distress that I hope will pass quickly and my ribs are back to bothering me.

At this point I really don't want to drive an hour each way to make a token appearance for an hour ceremony. If I don't feel better in a couple of hours, I won't be going.

Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:49 am

We really try to graduate safe potential nurses who won't kill anyone!
And all of us hope you do a great job in getting them ready!
My oldest is an LPN, working towards her RN. She straightened up a lot as a young adult and has worked hard to rehab her academic credentials and is extremely conscientious about her work. In high school, she was one of that select few that made the top 90% of the class possible. One math prof in a parent meeting described her D in his class with this comment: Oh she's plenty smart enough to do much better. If she wasn't really smart she couldn't possibly be doing as well as she is with the effort she's putting out.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:27 pm

I think the nurse who failed research and pharm is a bit unclear on the concept! Shocked One has to wonder why she was in the program in the first place.

The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:14 pm

The Walrus wrote:I think the nurse who failed research and pharm is a bit unclear on the concept!  Shocked One has to wonder why she was in the program in the first place.  

Many times when they flunk out nursing isn't what they want to be doing, but what their parents want them to do.

Last edited by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarity)
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:21 pm

I did not go to campus today.

I did finally bake 6 loaves of GF banana bread, as the bananas had been thawed for a couple of days and had to be used.

I've played with my calendar moving things around and generally taken it easy.

My stomach is still iffy. I started soup with leftover beef and frozen veg plus spices in the slow cooker for dinner. It's 52 F (with a feels like 49 F due to wind), so soup sounded like a good idea and I use up all the leftovers.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Soup turned out surprisingly good considering it was thrown together. We even shared some of the liquid with the pups as they are chilly too.

The GF banana bread with walnuts is way too good. Shocked

End of a lazy day. Tomorrow no matter what, I've got to go to commencement. Dad is coming by afterwards to get his staples out. I'm sure I will do more, but will see how the day plays out....
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Ah now i finally know what you teach. Hadn’t thought to ask, but guessed it was with the health field. And yes graduating competent nurses is a must.

I agree about students doing something their folks push them into and failing is one way to get out of it, except it doesn’t look good when they do figure out what they want to do with their life.

Hope this evening finds you feeling much better.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Ah now i finally know what you teach. Hadn’t thought to ask, but guessed it was with the health field. And yes graduating competent nurses is a must.

I agree about students doing something their folks push them into and failing is one way to get out of it, except it doesn’t look good when they do figure out what they want to do with their life.

Hope this evening finds you feeling much better.

Ha, I explained in my old journal but never thought about it here. I'm a pediatric nurse practitioner with 2 doctorates (hence the name). Spring will be my final semester teaching BSN students, as I'm the Director of graduate programs for both the nursing and allied health side of the school. We started our MSN this fall and by this summer I will be teaching only at that level.

So far the soup is staying in. Not looking forward to tomorrow but I really want to see two of the graduates one more time.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:10 pm

You’re our resident overachiever Very Happy
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Greensprout wrote:You’re our resident overachiever Very Happy

I'm pretty sure there are others here!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:30 am

Hope you are feeling well enough to go to the commencement and see those 2 graduates.

Have a nice weekend, Pedi.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:55 am

perennialpam wrote:Hope you are feeling well enough to go to the commencement and see those 2 graduates.  

Have a nice weekend, Pedi.

Thanks PPam. Unfortunately, I still have tummy issues and have added flu like symptoms overnight. Will be starting Tamiflu (one of the perks of working at the clinic is a direct line to the doc) and missing commencement. Oh well, it is what it is.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:02 am

Restless sleep due to progression of flu like symptoms. Rib area is really sore from all the coughing. I've had to use my nebulizer. Looks like today is a lazy day spent taking care of myself.

DH is working and I had my calendar blocked for commencement, which means I have zero responsibilities. affraid I think I'm going to set out some bone broth to thaw, finish my coffee, and then go back to bed to read my kindle and snooze.

It is a grey overcast day here, so perfect for doing nothing.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks for the explanation. My DDIL is working on her BSN as a second degree program. Undergrad is EX Sci. Then headed into an NP program hoping to focus on diabetic education.

DS also Ex Sci as is DD. DD is currently in a DPT program.

So sorry your still under the weather. Sound like a perfect plan for the day. Sending healing vibes your way.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Thanks for the explanation. My DDIL is working on her BSN as a second degree program. Undergrad is EX Sci. Then headed into an NP program hoping to focus on diabetic education.

DS also Ex Sci as is DD.  DD is currently in a DPT program.

So sorry your still under the weather. Sound like a perfect plan for the day. Sending healing vibes your way.

BSN second degree programs are intense! It will prepare her for an NP program for sure. None of my sons went into medical fields. Oldest and youngest followed DH and are LEOs. Oldest's wife and Youngest's fiancé are both nurses with fiancé currently in an FNP program.

Thanks for the healing vibes. The two hour nap seemed to help the Tamiflu kick in.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeangenie on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Naps can make a huge difference. Hope you are soon feeling better.
jeangenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:49 pm

jeangenie wrote:Naps can make a huge difference. Hope you are soon feeling better.

Thanks JG.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Paid bills, put all the baking up, made a grocery list for the holiday, and cleaned the freezer section of the frigerator the kids used while living here.

Dad came over and I took his staples out. Updated them on the kids coming and going for the holiday.

Animal burgers (bunless for me) were yummy and so far I am doing okay with it in my tummy.

Have had a fire going most of the day. Latte (the basset hound) has staked out a bed in front of the fire place.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Fireplace, dogs, baking, what a cozy picture! Sounds like a fairy tale Smile
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content