Keto/Carbs for Women

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Keto/Carbs for Women

Post by srinath_69 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:02 pm

nikitakolata wrote:I survived my fast.  It always amazes me how I can go to bed feeling so hungry, yet when I wake up I'm not hungry at all.  So, I'm back to keto until Thursday when I will fast again, I guess.  

One other note about fasting is that in the summers I liked doing it because I felt much cooler at night and it was easier to sleep.  But, now that it's actually cold outside, OMG, I was ridiculously cold last night.  I was watching TV after "dinner" (for my daughter) and I had to lay down to maximize my contact with the sofa and then put two blankets on myself for warmth.  I still felt cold.  I ended up sleeping with 3 blankets, which normally would not happen.

Good job. I've found that nothing breaks the back of stubborn insulin resistance like a fast. Keto will keep it going, but if I may use an analogy, you try crushing a nice empty but otherwise intact beer can - and compare it to how easy it is to crush if the wall has a tiny crinkle which you can do by indenting with your finger ? That is the fast and it makes it easier to crush insulin with low carb.

srinath_69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:42 am

Good luck to you! I have also not seen much weight reduction w. Keto I had to start fasting to get anywhere. I am glad that I am not the only one who struggles with this - it has feelt like I just couldnt get it right.

Dawn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:50 pm

When I was fasting I had trouble staying warm at work - I would get so very cold at about the 15 hour mark. But I had good results with fasting - I must get back into it. I generally IF for 14 hours virtually every day, but I need to add in at least one longer fast a week.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nikitakolata on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:03 am

Dawn wrote:Good luck to you! I have also not seen much weight reduction w. Keto I had to start fasting to get anywhere. I am glad that I am not the only one who struggles with this - it has feelt like I just couldnt get it right.

Yeah, I haven't had any luck with weight loss on keto. I think I'm pretty much done with this experiment because I don't feel like I can sustain keto in any social setting. I lose weight better with just fasting and doing whatever between fasts (though I tend to stay pretty low carb anyway, just not keto low). So, that's my status update. I'm so mentally exhausted when it comes to trying to lose weight. I'm honestly considering gastric bypass, but I don't know... I am very afraid of surgery. I'm just sick of mentally putting in so much effort and getting no results. I've been doing this for over 20 years! I mean, really, in any other area of my life I would have seen some real success by now.

At least other areas of my life are going well. I made more money than my husband this year for the first time ever. This was my first full year as a business owner, too. So, I'm happy about that. We are also finally making progress finishing our basement and I'm really excited about it. We might spend Christmas priming the walls (that is excitement in my world). I re-finished our pool table yesterday and it looks so much better. So, there are good things going on in my life... my weight just isn't one of them.
nikitakolata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Nikitakolata: Your posts so far seem to be addressing all aspects of Primal/keto except exercise. Your focus seems to be almost 100% on what you eat and when you eat. A key component of Primal is to move frequently at a moderate pace, complemented with occasional sprint work. The moderate pace should be at no more than the Maffetone recommendation of 180 - your age.

As Sisson says in the Definitive Guide to Low Level Aerobic Activity:
"Not only is low level aerobic activity the natural evolutionary expectation of the body, it’s flat out beneficial in its own right. It plays an integral role in maintaining weight and metabolic balance. It also builds your base and makes more strenuous workouts possible by toning all the muscles, joints and connective tissue needed for optimal strength training and high intensity aerobic activity. Low level aerobic exercise engages your energy systems and incrementally improves their functioning and efficiency. And while it does all that, it also physiologically and hormonally counters the effects of stress."

What are you doing on this front? As I noted way up earlier in this thread, I think getting in a lot of good exercise is key to having your body make adjustments needed to facilitate getting weight loss under way.  I don't think you are ever going to see the results you want f you don't address this aspect of the program.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nikitakolata on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Rig D wrote:Nikitakolata: Your posts so far seem to be addressing all aspects of Primal/keto except exercise. Your focus seems to be almost 100% on what you eat and when you eat. A key component of Primal is to move frequently at a moderate pace, complemented with occasional sprint work. The moderate pace should be at no more than the Maffetone recommendation of 180 - your age.

As Sisson says in the Definitive Guide to Low Level Aerobic Activity:
"Not only is low level aerobic activity the natural evolutionary expectation of the body, it’s flat out beneficial in its own right. It plays an integral role in maintaining weight and metabolic balance. It also builds your base and makes more strenuous workouts possible by toning all the muscles, joints and connective tissue needed for optimal strength training and high intensity aerobic activity. Low level aerobic exercise engages your energy systems and incrementally improves their functioning and efficiency. And while it does all that, it also physiologically and hormonally counters the effects of stress."

What are you doing on this front? As I noted way up earlier in this thread, I think getting in a lot of good exercise is key to having your body make adjustments needed to facilitate getting weight loss under way.  I don't think you are ever going to see the results you want f you don't address this aspect of the program.

I do body-weight exercises for a few minutes 4 to 6 times a week. Nothing super long, but I'll do 40 squats and a 45 second plank (I've been increasing the time) and 15 push-ups. I mix up the exercises but I do 4 different ones each morning. Then I walk. I get 12,000 steps a day, sometimes more. My commute is about 2 miles each way, so there's no way to avoid lots of walking in my daily life. I usually walk fast and pass a lot of people as I go. Once in awhile I'll do a sprint workout, but I haven't been super consistent.

When it comes to exercise, I guess I'm just not interested in setting aside an hour each day just to work out. With a baby, husband, house and a business (aka, my 16 children) I just don't have the time or desire to do that. If I can't lose weight with a lot of walking and short weight exercises in addition to moving furniture which I do at work all the time (furniture manufacturer, after all), then I guess I just won't lose weight. I'm working on accepting that, as well.
nikitakolata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Hmm, sounds like you are getting plenty of exercise with your normal activity. Just wondered. Sorry, no other ideas pop to mind.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nikitakolata on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Rig D wrote:Hmm, sounds like you are getting plenty of exercise with your normal activity. Just wondered. Sorry, no other ideas pop to mind.

I appreciate your thoughts anyway! I'm sort of at a loss as to what I should do, but I'm also sort of thinking maybe I should just stop worrying about my weight. I really feel like it's a stress and gut issue for me anyway. I don't see my stress level really decreasing anytime soon and none of the gut things I've tried have helped much. I was really hoping if I got the medical cannabis that it would help because I've read that it can help your gut. But, it's been more than two months since I submitted my application (along with $300) and I haven't heard anything. The state won't even tell you if your application has been received, let alone give you any sort of status update, which is so frustrating. Especially because I know my application WAS received back in October because I sent it certified. Illinois government is super screwed up though, so I shouldn't be surprised.
nikitakolata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:12 am

Medical cannabis helping with what ? Stress ? I dunno, non medical C helped me with eating more LOL.
Seriously I have come to the conclusion on my own diet and exercise ability that working out usually doesn't help lose weight in any real sense of the word. Working out preserves and builds muscle, if it causes a loss in BF - well maybe the sprints would, but I am not doing it often enough - over the holidays I probably should get the habit.

Losing fat is nearly all diet and almost nothing works as well as fasting, and low carb interspersed with random fasts not only helps me lose fat, it also helps me keep calm and not flip out when good low carb food isn't available. I can tell my wife who wont let me in the kitchen when she's making food for my son and herself - I'll not eat tonight, maybe I'll get something for lunch tomorrow. Or if I am out doing stuff, saves time and $$$ by not eating in that time.

srinath_69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Fasting: You may be interested in the latest PB podcast on fasting.
http://blog.primalblueprint.com/ Episode 204
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:54 am

http://blog.primalblueprint.com/keto-episode-204-all-about-fasting/

http://blog.primalblueprint.com/episode-200-the-comprehensive-approach-of-the-keto-reset-diet/

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:33 am

https://draxe.com/keto-diet/keto-diet-women/
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nikitakolata on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:00 am

So, as an update to my own thread, my husband did convince me to give keto a go for the month of January. It's been ok, but frustrating. I started at around 194 and I'm at 190.5 now. I was lower than my current weight at the end of the first week. I lost nothing the second week. I've lost nothing so far this week. It sucks because I have been vigilant and I'm not losing inches either.

keto wrote:I've done keto on and off for about 7 years now.  When I first began it, at about age 47, I too initially gained weight.  I was also tired, had a hard time sleeping, and was just plain discouraged.

Somewhere around the 6-week mark, though, right when I was ready to give up, something shifted; and almost overnight, the weight started flying off.  I also entered what some people call "beast mode," where I had wonderful energy, mental clarity, and and "up" mood.

The only thing I recall doing at about that 6-week mark was upping my salt, potassium, and magnesium, and dialing back dairy.

So, it may be that keto isn't a good fit for other women -- our mileages will vary -- but I just wanted to put my experience out there for those who are wondering if they should stick it out a bit longer.

Ultimately, for me, it was worth the uncomfortable/dispiriting transition phase, but yeah, I was NOT happy to find my pants getting tighter instead of looser that first month-plus.

Did you test to find out whether you are in ketosis? I haven't and I have no idea if I'm in ketosis or not. I should be since my net carbs are always under 30, but I guess the only way to know for sure is to do a blood test?

How did you keep going when you were getting no results? It's very hard to have faith right now since I am not seeing results even though I'm being careful. I track in cronometer and I'm not going over my calories. I've been supplementing magnesium already and I've cut back on cheese. I thought for sure I'd see some loss this week since it's shark week, but no. I'm bummed out. I read all these stories about losing 50 pounds in six months on reddit and they just make me feel like I'm screwing up because I'm not getting results anything like that.

I do have steady energy and my mood (idiots at work permitting) is pretty good. So, I feel like I must be close to "beast mode." I know these results are important, too, but damn it, I want smaller clothes!
nikitakolata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:04 pm

I don't know what your diet is, and even if you posted it I may not identify what could be the reasons, but someone here probably could.
But I'd say this, I stalled due to whey and soy for 3+ months. So if there is any of those, I'd try eliminating it.

srinath_69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 am

You might want to look into Leanne Vogel, a paleo/keto nutritionist. She has a website and youtube videos.  Through personal experience and working with clients, she has found that many women need to incorporate regular higher carb meals in order to get maximum benefit from Keto. She has several different profiles in her fat fueled program. In general her recommendation is to add a starch or fruit at dinner once or twice a week while keeping the fat moderate at that meal. The rest of the time one eats a regular keto plan.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Leanne’s Book the Keto Diet is excellent. Some great recipes and all different meals plans. Ones that are strict keto through those a bit looser and one that Pebbles was mentioning. Her podcasts are awesome as well
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by keto on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:48 am

nikita, I bought those keto-sticks thingies at the local drugstore. I know they aren't super accurate, and sometimes give false negatives, but I do like seeing the little color chip turn pink-purple.

I'm trying to remember how I kept myself motivated when I wasn't seeing any weight or size decreases...I think I was able to persist because I'd gone through the online Weight Watchers program in the past, and had the experience of having to wait to see results.

I know what you mean about reading those reddit stories of people dropping huge amounts of weight quickly -- it can feel discouraging to compare ourselves to those folks (many of whom are young and male, and seem to get the big results more quickly).

And yes, stress and out-of-whack gut ecosystem no doubt makes everything more challenging. You have a lot on your plate (no pun intended)...

But I read that you did lose 3.5 pounds already just in January? That seems like a very decent loss, esp. as a percentage of your bodyweight. I hope you can enjoy that victory!
keto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KetoJulia on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:17 pm

I was addicted to the ketostix as well. I couldn't care less if people said they were useless! It was good for me to see SOMETHING GOING ON, and if they were pink or purple first thing in the morning, I KNEW I was doing something right!

As far as not losing any inches or pounds (and that happened a lot) I would just chalk it up to losing fat around the organs... the fat I couldn't see or measure. That helped. Still pissed me off, but I made a commitment that I'd do it
for a year god damnit, so I kept on going.

Don't give up,  your three pounds are great! Promise!

You also probably won't lose inches where you'd like to at first. I would have preferred the inches off my fat ass or thighs, but nooooope, forearms and fingers were FIRST. SO LAME. Who gives even half a shit about THOSE PLACES? Not me.

Keep goin' girl, you can do it!

Julia
KetoJulia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by keto on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 pm

OK, I had a good laugh at the finger fat-loss thing. My grrr-moment was noticing my shoulders and wrists seemed bonier before the rest of my body got with the program. Great...bony shoulders...a lot of good THAT does me!

I'm perpetually amused/bemused by my body's ability to shape-shift seemingly overnight. I know hormonal changes mean fat deposits also change, but it's still a little spooky how the fat migrates. I have a couple pairs of pants from circa 1995 (!), and while I can wear them around the house, they are tight in areas that used to be loose, and vice versa.

I've had a few DEXA scans in recent years, and wow, is that an eye-opener to see how body composition changes (while weight stays the same).

Anyway, I hope all the primal and/or keto gals here are doing well...we are all in this together. cheers

keto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nikitakolata on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Pebbles67 wrote:You might want to look into Leanne Vogel, a paleo/keto nutritionist. She has a website and youtube videos.  Through personal experience and working with clients, she has found that many women need to incorporate regular higher carb meals in order to get maximum benefit from Keto. She has several different profiles in her fat fueled program. In general her recommendation is to add a starch or fruit at dinner once or twice a week while keeping the fat moderate at that meal. The rest of the time one eats a regular keto plan.

I've never heard of her, but I'll look into her stuff. Thanks! I have considered throwing in a potato or something once in awhile, but so far I've been afraid to actually do that.

Narrowminded wrote:Leanne’s Book the Keto Diet is excellent. Some great recipes and all different meals plans. Ones that are strict keto through those a bit looser and one that Pebbles was mentioning. Her podcasts are awesome as well

Thanks! More for me to read, I'll have to see if I can get her book at the library as soon as I have some free time for reading (hopefully very soon).

keto wrote:nikita,  I bought those keto-sticks thingies at the local drugstore.  I know they aren't super accurate, and sometimes give false negatives, but I do like seeing the little color chip turn pink-purple.  

I'm trying to remember how I kept myself motivated when I wasn't seeing any weight or size decreases...I think I was able to persist because I'd gone through the online Weight Watchers program in the past, and had the experience of having to wait to see results.

I know what you mean about reading those reddit stories of people dropping huge amounts of weight quickly -- it can feel discouraging to compare ourselves to those folks (many of whom are young and male, and seem to get the big results more quickly).

And yes, stress and out-of-whack gut ecosystem no doubt makes everything more challenging.  You have a lot on your plate (no pun intended)...

But I read that you did lose 3.5 pounds already just in January?  That seems like a very decent loss, esp. as a percentage of your bodyweight.  I hope you can enjoy that victory!

I have lost about 3.5 pounds, and for the past 2 weeks I've just gone up and down between 189.6 and 191.6. It's pretty annoying, but I guess it could be worse. I'm a little sad because a couple years ago 187 was always my set point... it looks like my bad habits have pushed it up a few pounds, which is not cool.

I've been reading only the xxketo forum and even there the weight loss stories are crazy. 60 pounds in 6 months kind of stuff... how? I don't get it. I realize some of them start out bigger than I am, but many of those women are actually starting out smaller than me. I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but then I tell myself that maybe I'm just part of the silent majority who are't experiencing amazing losses.

I have not even tried any ketostix, but maybe I will. It might be worth the investment of a few dollars to see if I'm even in ketosis at all. I often think that I'm not, actually. I have no idea why I think that, but I just feel like it's not happening for some reason.

KetoJulia wrote:I was addicted to the ketostix as well. I couldn't care less if people said they were useless! It was good for me to see SOMETHING GOING ON, and if they were pink or purple first thing in the morning, I KNEW I was doing something right!

As far as not losing any inches or pounds (and that happened a lot) I would just chalk it up to losing fat around the organs... the fat I couldn't see or measure. That helped. Still pissed me off, but I made a commitment that I'd do it
for a year god damnit, so I kept on going.

Don't give up,  your three pounds are great! Promise!

You also probably won't lose inches where you'd like to at first. I would have preferred the inches off my fat ass or thighs, but nooooope, forearms and fingers were FIRST. SO LAME. Who gives even half a shit about THOSE PLACES? Not me.

Keep goin' girl, you can do it!

Julia

That is a good thought; that I could be losing visceral fat. I hope that's what is happening. I often tell myself that what I'm doing now is much better for my health and that is very important, of course. As for the fat loss, god, I hate that. I actually have felt for the past couple of days like my pants might be looser in the thigh. I know a lot of women would love to lose weight there, but my legs are already slim in comparison to a lot of my body. Yet, my saddlebags are big as ever and looking that much more disproportionate. So, really? I'd even prefer finger weight loss so I could wear my engagement ring, but my fingers are also pretty small anyway; my wedding ring that I wear everyday is only a 5.5 (some crazy jeweler screwed up when he was sizing my set and made the engagement ring smaller, lame...).

Anyway, I'm just going to keep going for now. I can't think of anything better to try. I feel pretty good now and, amazingly, I have not really gotten sick in the past few weeks. Everyone at my shop has been sick to some degree. I have some minor congestion, but nothing that is really bothering me. I don't know if I can attribute that to keto, but why not?
nikitakolata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KetoJulia on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 pm

In the last six months, both of my children, my husband AND my mother in law have had THREE colds... I didn't get anything. And even though the kids are 12 and 15, they are still very affectionate, always hugging or kissing me, so I SHOULD have been RIDDLED with germs, but nope. Even everyone at work is being taken down by that flu that's killing everyone, but I have had nary a sniffle. Maybe keto is magic, or maybe I just have a good immune system.. dunno!

You keep an eye on how those pants fit.. sounds like there might be something happening!

Yeah, totally frustrating where it comes off first.

My stomach was the ABSOLUTE LAST TO GO. SO ANNOYING since that's where I would have liked for it to leave first, since THAT was what STARTED my whole keto adventure: sitting at my desk with THREE sets of boobs instead of one.

LOL!

Keep on keeping on for sure, it will definitely pay off.. and whooshes ARE a real thing!!!

Julia
KetoJulia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KetoJulia on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:11 pm

Any updates little missie?

Julia
KetoJulia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nikitakolata on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:35 pm

KetoJulia wrote:Any updates little missie?

Julia

Not really. My weight is unchanged, well actually, I've gained a couple pounds. Measurements unchanged. Sleep is unchanged. I'm just treading water, I guess. I think I'm going to try Jason Seib's Alt Shift Activate in about a week, because I need to change something if I want results.

Lately I'm frustrated by how much sleep I need in comparison to my husband. I start getting ready for bed between 8:30 and 9:30 because by then I'm just plain tired. My husband, on the other hand, it's like he's just getting started. He will stay up 1 to 2 hours later than me and we get up at the same time (6:00). How is that possible? I don't feel tired during the day, but I'm also not bursting with energy, either. I don't understand how he can get away with so little sleep. I'm so tired by evening that I don't have the energy to work on our basement once our daughter is in bed. I just watch something on TV and then go to bed. It's like, if it's dark out, I am tired. That's fine in the summer, but it's dark from 5:00 pm to 7:00 am right now.

So, yeah, I don't know about me and keto. But, I've read Alt Shift and the idea of a low fat diet is scary. I honestly have no idea what to even eat. I have never really followed a low fat diet, and I've definitely never done it without grains. I think that will be very challenging for me. I finished reading Body Beliefs and I feel like I'm OK there. I don't obsess about how horrible I look or torture myself in that way anymore (when I was younger, yes, I did that). I've been listening to the Alt Shift podcasts and I definitely don't think the way most of the women on there do. I tend to think a lot like Jason, actually. But, when I really think about my weight, yeah, I get pissed off that my effort doesn't yield results. I'm not sad though, I'm frustrated, which is different.

We'll see. I'm no longer in a rush to lose weight. I realize that if it happens now, later or never, whatever. Life goes on. I have my family, friends, my business and generally life is pretty great. I would like to be thinner so I could wear different clothes and be less camera shy, but I have also accepted on at least some level that that may never happen.
nikitakolata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JCat on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 am

I've been reading/watching Leanne Vogel. Also just read No Fail Fat Loss for Women. I'm actually going to try adding more fat. Workouts start today. Fifteen-twenty minutes twice a week. Cycle between 4 different workouts. Might be worth a try. The book is free if you have Kindle Unlimited.

JCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nikitakolata on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 am

JCat wrote:I've been reading/watching Leanne Vogel. Also just read No Fail Fat Loss for Women. I'm actually going to try adding more fat. Workouts start today. Fifteen-twenty minutes twice a week. Cycle between 4 different workouts. Might be worth a try. The book is free if you have Kindle Unlimited.

I haven't read her stuff yet, but I want to do it soon. I'll have to see if I can get anything of hers from my library since I don't have kindle unlimited and I'm cheap. Smile

I like the idea of a couple short workouts a week. Honestly, that's all I am willing to commit to. I hate structured workouts. I'm bored the whole time and just counting down the minutes until I can be done with it and get on with my day. Actually, that's a real issue for me because I want to move my company to a new location and the odds are extremely good that I'll need to drive to work if we move. That means I'll be getting almost no walking in my day (maybe like 5,000 to 8,000 steps, max) because right now I get almost all of my walking during my commute. I have no idea what I'll do then to stay active... I might have to get a treadmill desk or something.

Anyway, I am just hanging out at 192... at least I find keto quite easy to stick to. Something is really up with my digestion lately, too. I don't know if it's because I started using marijuana over the weekend or what. I finally got my medical cannabis card and I went to the dispensary on Friday. I got a few different things, but the only thing I've used is this pen thing. I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't think I'm even using it correctly. I got some flowers for free since it was my first time there and when I got home I realized I have absolutely no idea what to do with them. Do you smoke them? Use a bong? I have no clue. I need to go back and ask a bunch of questions, apparently.
nikitakolata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next