Leg cramp again

Go down

Leg cramp again

Post by srinath_69 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:42 am

I ate a very non ketogenic meal yesterday. The usual 4 drinks, and tea and coffee with HWC - the usual macro in my dinner, with the exception of the carbs in the meal. Not too many greens so low potassium, and pretty low sodium as well.

The 3am cramp in my right calf - hit hard, very painful, lasted maybe 30sec. And it faded out with me doing nothing.

Is that a sign of going back to ketosis ? Its the strangest one if it is that. No other symptoms. Maybe insomnia probably due to that pain.

srinath_69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Leg cramp again

Post by sharperhawk on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:20 am

It's one of those symptoms that has many possible causes. I am not yet allowed to post a link, but search for "night leg cramps" and look at the Mayo Clinic's entry.
sharperhawk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:48 am

I've seen them all, the best one was from lowcarbfriends - but I am still searching.
I had Na in small amounts, K in even smaller amounts, and a few days of keto diet with no cramps, and 1 non keto day and it comes back. I also have skipped working out for 6 days when cramp hit, could be the trigger this time. I'll try doing sprints today and see what it does tomorow 3 am.

srinath_69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:02 pm

sharperhawk wrote:It's one of those symptoms that has many possible causes. I am not yet allowed to post a link, but search for "night leg cramps" and look at the Mayo Clinic's entry.

Sorry, the forum is set up such that a new member can not post a link until they have been registered for 7 days. It's SPAM prevention.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:55 pm

ONTARIO wrote:
sharperhawk wrote:It's one of those symptoms that has many possible causes. I am not yet allowed to post a link, but search for "night leg cramps" and look at the Mayo Clinic's entry.

Sorry, the forum is set up such that a new member can not post a link until they have been registered for 7 days. It's SPAM prevention.

Interesting, simple, and logical. That's all MDA needed.

If you really, really need to get a link in, you could probably just spell it out, maybe leave off the WWW and .COM?

OnTheBayou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Low magnesium is the most common reason.

I've been taking magnesium citrate as powder for a few months and rarely have problems.

OnTheBayou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:14 pm

I second magnesium. I used to get calf and toe cramps - especially at night- and stopped them by supplementing with magnesium.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:44 am

Well I ate very keto and not much yesterday (I am eating salmon @ buffet for lunch today) and milk of magnesia - which produced the advertised results, and no cramps.
I'll keep track of it, Mg could be it. Thanks all.

srinath_69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:23 pm

This won't be helpful to you, but I cramp horribly when I have too many carbs, especially when combined with heavy leg workouts. Whenever I'm in ketosis, cramps of any kind either vanish or at least the severity is cut by an order of magnitude.

Before I figured this out, I tried supplementing magnesium and potassium, sometimes in dosages of several grams, but to absolutely no avail.

It's kind of funny because conventional exercise advice and broscientists advocate "carb loading" on heavy workout days, which is advice I took for a long time, and was inadvertently screwing myself over. Apparently my n=1 is that I have to "carb de-load" for optimal performance.
Nightly Orange

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:31 am

The no-carb diet works brilliantly for keeping inflammation out. I eat even a few gm carbs and the pain returns sharply and abruptly, of course it also fades out when you finish digesting the carbs.

srinath_69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 am

I tend to think it's an electrolyte issue and water retention in the muscle cells. My understanding is carbs can absorb or hold onto water. Perhaps the higher carb load is "pulling" water your muscles need. Also, coffee, teas are a diuretic.

My indirectly related experience: I use magnesium malate to remediate a bowl issue. The way it works is by drawing water into bowels. However, when I overdue the amount or drink to low an amount of water, leg muscles twitch a lot and I will get cramps during the night or day. I believe what water is available for the body gets diverted to the gut and hence low water in muscles and my leg cramps ensue.

The best way for me to remedy this is to drink water with some salt and an electrolyte tab. This has helped me alot.

Interesting info here if you Google: -bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/whats-causing-my-muscle-cramps
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:02 am

Going to echo the magnesium suggestion. I take magnesium every day in the form of Natural Calm and I can't remember the last time I had a leg cramp.
RedComet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joel_MD on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:27 am

When I first started eating low carb I had some bad leg cramps that would wake me at night. I figured out it was due to an electrolyte deficiency or imbalance. Now I take in the following supplements on a daily basis:

- 24 oz of 'ketorade', my homemade beverage made with water, 1/4 teaspoon of Morton's Lite Salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt
- 400 mg Calcium Citrate
- 200 mg Magnesium Citrate

Also, I try to add more sea salt to my food these days. In the past I thought adding salt was bad.

Joel_MD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum