Glad to be here!

Page 36 of 39 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Go down

Re: Glad to be here!

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:59 pm

So sorry about Lucy Crying or Very sad

Great job on your C25k. I’m going to download the app again.

Yes, those strength training moves don’t always seem like they are doing anything until the next day.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Hope Lucy feels better soon.  I wonder if there is an alley like area where she could run fast in a straight line?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 pm

Lucy has recovered nicely and we will take more care. She is so exuberant!

Went to the outdoor market this morning and got a new spring coat for Starri. A very kind elderly lady just started making them and practically gave it away. She was happy to use him as a model. It is just the thing for cool spring nights.

Dream and I are taking turns being really tired and having upset bellies- not like us at all!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:42 am

Just seen yesterday on the back of a car:  Adopt a Greyhound and Save A Life.  Even the license plate had a message that I forgot.  

Smile

Hope you two feel better soon.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:40 am

Sounds like a relaxing day.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:31 pm

I keep meaning to get here and post an update, but busy busy busy. All is well here in the paradise that is East Gippsland, Victoria. Lots of lovely weather as spring is in full force and summer grows ever closer. Seems so strange to me! I have no frame of reference to judge what the weather should be like when the seasons are reversed. I'm keeping up with running, Week 8! I've also learned about something very cool called parkrun, and Dream is enthusiastic about this. Basically it is a 5K held in a local park on Saturday morning. You can walk or run and bring your dog, your kids, or you can seriously race. And it goes on all over the world and is run by volunteers. (You can google it.).

My hand/wrist is coming along, not as quickly as I would like, but it is improving. I am having dry needling done tomorrow. I'm not really worried about pain as after what I have been through my pain threshold/perception is different now. Besides, I have heard really good things about it and I have great hopes that it will help. Also, I'm having Bowen therapy next week. A friend in the women's group that I hang out with is a registered therapist and needs some hours for her license, so I don't even have to pay for it. It sounds like the kind of thing that is perfect for my condition, also it is not invasive at all. Just keep keeping on!

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I have been listening to a lot of podcasts and really enjoying them.

Running for Real - Tina Muir
Someone Knows Something - CBC (true crime cold cases)
Radiolab
Uncover - Escaping NXIVM
Serial - Season 3
Lore
Outside

The good thing about podcasts is that I can do other things, like housework and dog walking.

Food - I'm eating very primal, but just too much! I love food. It's true. And I love eating.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Sounds like a wonderful update TW. I’m so happy you are happy and busy.

Any word about Dreams work, of a possible extension where you are living now?
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:45 pm

Alas, just the opposite, the opportunities have decreased one by one. It’s all up in the air, a bit stressful but it’s a lot easier to face this sort of thing with a partner!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 am

So sorry the chances for staying in Victoria are narrowing. If this ends, will he have a job back where you were living? I was unsure if this was a contract through his company for someone else or a complete change.

Yes, having someone to share the uncertainty with is huge.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:39 am

So fun that you and Dream are doing the walk/run thing together! And good for the wrist healing. It has taken some time, but now things are moving along nicely and full healing is in sight! Smile

difficult to have the job uncertainty............. I hope it all works out the way you want it to.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:24 pm

No news on jobs here in Victoria for Dream, but we are planning on staying. We have asked permission to stay in this house as a private rental after his contract is up - that would help tremendously, and we are hoping to defer our removal until we have a real home.

I had dry needling performed on Friday and it was an astounding success. I responded very, very well and there was really no pain involved. I was able to make a fist i.e. touch the tips of all four fingers to my palm for the first time in SIX months. Sadly, the effect was not permanent, and although I am a little farther along the path, the inevitable backsliding has happened. I will have it performed again this week, probably tomorrow.

The dogs are doing well, they are a lot of fun to take out and about. I get so much attention when I walk them, everyone wants to touch them and ask about them. They are sort of like panthers. Lucy's leg is all healed and she is back to her old self. Our leisure time revolves around the dogs now - funny how that happened. Of course we have other things going on but weekends are all about the dogs and we walk for miles and miles (actually kilometres and kilometres). It's a lot of fun.

Running is coming along, and I have booked a session with a ChiRunning coach in Melbourne next week. Very excited about this and taking it easy until then - I don't want to become injured before the workshop that will help me avoid injuries! Also I am going to a cheesemaking workshop on Monday, and I've just found a fermentation workshop in November. It's really fun cooking for someone who loves food and eats everything and loves to try new things. Last night was taco night, Dream woke up talking about how good it was. cheers

The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Taco's for the win!

So pleased to hear the dry needling worked well for you. I've had success in treating some injuries with that. Here's to continued progress!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:43 pm

Tacos - yum! Who would not wake up talking about them?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:32 am

Tacos...tacos...honestly, I could eat some variation on tacos every day...avocados, of course...

Yes, the dry needling was fantastic. I kinda downplayed it a bit in my post, as enthusiastic as I seemed - I was euphoric afterwards. As in - maybe I should get needles stuck in my arm every day! lol!

Forgot to mention that I have been experimenting heavily with pickles. I had no idea how easy it is. To date I have only made refrigerator pickles. Dream adores pickles, he is Eurasian and is used to having pickles at every meal. Pickled veg of all types are a standard condiment on Asian tables. I'm completely sold on pickled onions, so good on most everything, so easy and now a staple in my fridge.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:08 am

All I can say is that I am so happy for you and Dream!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:47 am

How exciting that you will stay in Victoria. I know how much you have loved it there, and to not have to move for a bit would be totally awesome. Now to find Dream a job. Praying for that for you.

Happy to hear about the dry needling working so well. Hopefully as you continue the results will last longer and longer.

Don’t know how much you watch YouTube, but “Off Grid with Doug and Stacey” has some cool vids about fermenting. She shows you what to do. Actually I have a pickle pipe kit on my Christmas list. You can do sauerkraut and such right in a canning jar. Probably work great for pickles too.

That running seminar sounds great. Can’t wait to hear what you learn.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks for that, I will check it out. It's great having so much information available so easily.

Today my right knee is sore again, so no running today. I am hoping the ChiRunning will help me correct my form and save my knees. My right foot turns out - always has - and I suppose that is why it hurts on the medial side. I am leaning towards a walk/run type of program, we'll see what the trainer says. I'm very much looking forward to the workshop.

This week I've practiced calorie restriction during the day and eaten a normal dinner with Dream, and cut out all sweets. By calorie restriction I mean a shortened eating window and very small meals, well planned. For instance, a fried egg at 10 AM, a piece of steak at 2 PM - yes, very on the fat and protein, very little carb if at all. At dinner I don't restrict my carbs but I don't go out of my way to eat them either. We'll see how this works. I have not had much energy lately, quite tired at times during the day despite sleeping very well at night, and I am thinking that the too large amounts of carbs is responsible for that.

My hand has healed to the point that I am thinking about job hunting. No idea what kind of job. To be honest, I just don't want a stressful job. I realise this means that I might not make much money. I need to work on my resume and turn it into the colourful wonderland that seems to be expected here in Australia. I have dreaded doing this, honestly I am dreading the job search and the interviews. For one thing, I hate talking about myself. I feel like I should just have someone over for dinner and they can see how I live and get to know me and decide if they want me to work for them. Yes, I'm a bit weird!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:18 pm

TW I’m the same way talking about myself. I hate it.

Good luck with the job search. Anything you could do with rescue Grey’s that would pay? Or even and animal shelter? That seems to agree with you. I know that’s totally away from RT, but should be less stressful.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:28 pm

I'm happy to hear you are healed to point of being able to find work again. That is great! My suggestion is to find something that brings you joy, even if the pay is small. You've worked hard and well for all your life - I think you deserve to do something on the lighter more pleasurable side now.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:53 pm

I've thought about working with animals, that would seem ideal. The positions I have seen are in fact very low paying but require backbreaking physical labor, which scares me a bit at this point in my life. I would like to work with greys, but the local organisation is totally volunteer - which is good, of course - but I need a paying job. I so hate not having my own money!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:28 am

I just got a Fitbit Versa! I went to Target just to look (famous last words) and of course they were having a sale...ends today...and the salesman pulled out an open box that I could have for an additional 25% off...how could I refuse? Everything looked fine, the watch still had the plastic over it, everything perfectly in place - just looks like someone opened the box and didn't take anything out. In any case, I can return it if I have any problems. But so far, so good! Easy to set up.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:56 am

Score!!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:29 pm

So - my first night with a smart watch. I was excited to see my sleep pattern! I wonder how accurate it is? I didn’t spend as much time in deep sleep or REM sleep as I thought I would, but it was certainly adequate.

I will admit to being like a kid in a candy store with the different watch faces. So much to choose from!

Knee feels good today!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:12 pm

You got and awesome deal. What color did you get? For now I’m using a watch face called 101 Remix. Has the stats I want all for a quick glance.

I’ve gone through those faces several times trying to choose.

You need to join Pedi and I in our daily reports on sleep. Smile

Hopefully the right job with jump out at you.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 pm

I find the fitbit sleep tracking to seem far more accurate than the Garmin tracking was, at least in terms of time awake. I also think the amount of REM time recorded is more accurate - of course, what the Garmin recorded isn't really the point... in my opinion, the Fitbit seems pretty reasonable for the week I've been using it.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 39 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next