Re: Glad to be here!

Post by Greensprout on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Caribbean islands. Holland America.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:11 am

I love Miss Tam's site. I had no idea she had a podcast. Never done a Whole 30. With her recipes, this may be the time it happens.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:28 am

Greensprout wrote:Caribbean islands.  Holland America.

We did a 9 day out of Ft L. last January. Went to the ABC islands. It was spectacular.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Re: Michelle Tam - you could definitely cook your way through her recipes and not even realize you were 'giving up' foods. Of all the home cooks who have made their way into the paleo world, I think she stands above the rest - her recipes are tested, tested, and tested again, and I believe she has training in food science - she pays particular attention to flavor combinations and textures. In addition, she is of Chinese descent and cannot tolerate dairy or alcohol, and those things are never in her recipes. She has done a few Whole30s herself! No, I receive no kickbacks - just my honest opinion here. My only complaint is Too Many Pictures and Too Many Cute Stories. Now, other people LOVE the pics and stories, so again, it's just my opinion. Her new cookbook has virtually no margin space, and I truly find it difficult to look through the book - just too busy. I don't need pictures of everything - a photo of a difficult step, or the appearance at a certain stage, and the finished product - yes, thank you. A photo of cutting cherry tomatoes in half? No thanks.

So - the big reveal is that I hope to be off to Australia in just over a month. Today I purchased boxes and packing materials, and I will put in my notice at work in another week or so. There is a method there, as I want to receive the monies from my health insurance 'kickback' for 2017, and I don't want any funny business there. I have to pack and ship everything, and sell my car. Can I get it done in time? Yes, if I work hard. I plan to spend this weekend hitting it very hard - packing, sorting, thrift shop donations, etc. I will have a much better idea after I actually get started!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:40 pm

I heard about the tragedy in Melbourne, and fired off an email to badgergirl - I'm sure most everyone here remembers her. She is fine, as is her family, and was nowhere near the incident.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Good to hear about BG and family being safe. Please invite her to join the thrive here if you forgot in the busyness of your life.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Wow, that is a shock TW. I did not expect the move to occur so soon. Glad you are though so you can be together all the time.

Glad to hear you contacted BG.

Take care and thanks for telling us.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:55 pm

how exciting to hear you are finally making the move to Australia! Did you already get married or is that still in the future plans? He must be so excited to know you will be right there with him all the time! Smile How long have you two been "dating" ?
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Christmas came early to the Walrus home...I had decided that even though I am a short timer I needed a new pair of boots.  Hey, the winter has been pretty severe so far, and it has only been winter for a couple of days!  Anyway, I did some online shopping (Sierra Trading Post - dangerous place) and the package arrived today.  The boots are fab, very warm, very safe, very comfortable, and seriously styling - white with black soles and black fur lining.  I wore them around the house until my feet got steaming hot sunny In order to get free shipping, I threw in a couple of very inexpensive items which have turned out to be really nice.  So now I have new yoga clothes!  I like them so much I am tempted to order another set, but I would run into the shipping payment again, so no.  And I don't need any more stuff to transport.  Also I had ordered a truly lovely calendar (watercolors) from Amazon, and it had also arrived.  So I am quite chuffed!

Thursday night I went to the local yoga studio - very upscale place.  They were hosting a special event for the winter solstice- free - so I thought it would be a good time to check it out.  108 sun salutations!  Twelve rounds of nine!  When we were doing the first set I started thinking, "What have I got myself into?  Eeeek!"  But it was okay.  The studio was very warm - not Hot Yoga hot, but much warmer than I am used to.  But I got to a certain level of hot and tired and stayed there, so I was able to just go with the flow (literally.)  We didn't make it to 108 - after 1 hour 45 minutes we mutually agreed that 72 was quite an auspicious number and we'd call it good.  Very nice way to spend the solstice.  The studio is beautiful - much more upscale than I had imagined, and everyone was very welcoming.  I was able to hold my own - not that yoga is competitive, but this was definitely not an event for a beginner.  They are having a chakra event on 30 December, not free but very reasonably priced, and I will probably sign up for that, 'specially now that I'm wearing new threads!

Weird thing happening to me the last few days.  I woke up Wednesday morning and in place of my usual coffee craving was a feeling of revulsion - the idea of drinking coffee was disgusting.  Me.  A coffee addict.  That's what gets me out of bed - instead of turning over in my nice warm soft nest, I think "COFFEE" and I rocket up.  But no.  Haven't had coffee since Tuesday.  I have drunk tea, which I love with my new Califia creamer and other bulletproof add-ins.  I have matcha with the fixings first thing, and then regular black tea.  

Then today - I went to the grocery to get some supplies, including Christmas specialties and turned from the meat counter in disgust.  Couldn't bring myself to even look at it.  ME.  A devoted carnivore!  I had planned to get a ham, but the only thing that looked good was, of all things, sausages.  I am so weird.  First coffee, and now (sort of) meat?  Where is this going to end?
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:51 pm

Walrus, that is an incredible number of sun salutations.  congratulations on keeping up.  nice to have the new gear, it always seems to bring out the best.

good riddance to the coffee addiction.  

As for the meat, that is weird, i hope it doesn't go too far. It could be you are just feeling well satiated at present and don't need it.

Or maybe you are picking up vibes from your classmates.  Aren't yoga and vegetarianism interrelated? Perhaps not confess to the yoga freaks how primal your diet is.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:21 pm

The Walrus wrote:Re: Michelle Tam -  I don't need pictures of everything - a photo of a difficult step, or the appearance at a certain stage, and the finished product - yes, thank you.  A photo of cutting cherry tomatoes in half?  No thanks.
LOL. I can agree.

How exciting to be moving to other side of world!
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Awesome on the sun salutations. I’ve always wanted to do that and seem to miss the solstice. One year I did do about 12 sets on my own before getting inturrupted. 72 is quite a good number.

Those boots sound awesome as well

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:58 am

This morning the sun is out! After two days of storm, a most welcome sight. I've never had SAD before, but I think I might be suffering from it a bit this year. I must get some sunlight in my life.

This morning I made a meatza. Damn fine meal. I used turkey sausage, cashew cheese, black olives, onions, tomato sauce, and the game-changer - fresh basil, thyme, and rosemary. Actually, the cashew cheese is something of a game changer also, as it utterly delicious and creamy when warmed on top of sausage and vegetables. Also, you don't need much - just a few teaspoons scattered about. This will be a good Whole30 meal. Not SWYPO for me, as I was never a pizza fanatic. I think that to be successful on my Whole30 I will need to have 5 or 6 recipes that I rotate - if I try to be creative all of the time I'll be caught out.

I packed my first box yesterday. I need to really get serious and work intensely for awhile. However, I was a bit shocked at tackling my first bookshelf - at least half the books not only don't bring joy, they are completely uninteresting to me, and I filled the recycling bin. One bookshelf!

Well, now that I am fueled with meatza, time to hit the shower and get started on my day. Smile
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:03 am

We used to have a number of young people at MDA, although that was several years ago. I wonder what happened to them, where they are now, did they work out their issues? I hope so, even more than I hope the more mature folk went on to great health and happiness.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:12 pm

Merry Christmas Walrus, and safe travels as you launch across the world.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Merry Christmas Walrus.

Your sun salutations sounds exhausting to me. haha
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Merry Christmas TW.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:42 pm

May the rest of the year hold some great memories. Have fun in your pack sessions in anticipation of an adventurous next year.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:49 am

Here I am Christmas morning, a snowstorm raging outside, but I am warm and snug. I feel for those who have to travel today - it may not be possible. I hope everyone around here arrived safely at their destinations.

My gift from Dream has gone astray - he mentioned last night that it should have arrived last week. He hadn't said he was sending anything, so I wasn't on the lookout. It's possible he got the address wrong. Oh well, no matter. I confiscated the socks that my sister sent for him! They are too big for me, but I like them - the design is a stack of books going up the leg.

If the storm lets up I will go snowshoeing later on.

As a treat for myself I had purchased an Against the Grain pizza for Christmas lunch. But the meatza I made yesterday was so delicious that I decided to make another for brunch. It was just as good as the first one. Now I'm kicking back with a cup of matcha, listening to the Lessons and Carols from King's College Cambridge. Spectacular as always!

I'm having a contemplative Christmas.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grokalicious on Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Oh yay!! What a surprise that the old forums are toast. Thanks to those who led me here. Merry Christmas to all!! xoxox
Grokalicious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:59 pm

A contemplative Christmas. TW this is inspirational. Too late for me, but I will have a contemplative Boxing Day instead. Thanks.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:20 pm

TW enjoy the warmth and safety of home. May do some reflecting later on
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:00 pm

So, so, so glad I didn't have to go anywhere. As always, I had a lot of choices and I chose to just chill at home. My intuition was correct. Of course, if I had made plans to go out I could easily have cancelled and no one would have faulted me - if one can't get out of one's driveway, one can't get out of one's driveway. But it all worked out. My one fear was that we would lose power, but so far so good. We have a generator, but still.

Thanks all, for your comments. It's been a good day, and things seem a bit clearer. I have also done some work a la Tidy Magic. Learning how to get rid of stuff is a valuable skill that is coming into play right now!

The driveway just got plowed - before it was even done Landlord pulled his car out of the garage and raced off - in his haste he left his front door open! I was looking at it, thinking that I should bundle up and get over there and close it, but the plow man noticed and closed it. He's a good guy.

Grok, so glad you made it!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Merry Christmas to you, your solo day sounds lovely. Nice work on the kon Marie purging and initial steps on packing for the big move. An exciting year ahead for the Walrus, indeed.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Well, I don't know how, but I picked up some kind of weird virus on my iPad and I can't post to the forum any more - I'm doing this on my laptop. The bad thing is that I can't post from work Sad When I open the forum in Safari, I can read it just fine, but when I try to post I get a pop that is a stupid 'quiz' saying I've won a prize, and when I close that I'm on an Amazon page and can't get back to the forum. I've checked my pop up blocker - don't know what else to do. When I open it in Chrome, I can read it, I'm signed in, but when I click in the Reply box - nada. Damn. Well, at least I can still post on my ancient and trusty laptop.

Today I cancelled my satellite radio (car) and paid off my car. Just realized yesterday that I can hardly sell it without the title, duh! It is almost paid off, and the loan is zero interest, but I sent in the payoff today. Also I will have to change my name on the title, which means a trip to the DMV. So much to do! Good thing I thought of it now.

Eats are pretty good. I've been obsessed with meatzas. I'm particularly fond of a locally made turkey sausage as the crust. It has a tiny amount of sugar, so not Whole30 friendly, but no big deal. I'll probably be meatza-ed out by next week anyway.

Yes, I'm jumping on the Whole30 bandwagon. I'm excited that my fav online bloggers are doing Whole30s in January - I suppose they always do, but I don't pay that much attention normally. I really feel like having others along for the journey this time around. And the library had TWO of Melissa Hartwig's books! The original, and Whole30 Fast&Easy. Maybe I'm crazy tackling this when I'm getting ready for the big move, but I'm telling myself that in some ways it will be easier. Just eat whole food. I don't eat out or eat fast food anyway, it is mostly a matter of not buying gluten-free junk food. Besides, I can have kombucha.

All the clothes in my closet fit in one suitcase! Yes, a pretty large suitcase, but still. I have some drawers also, but I'm pretty confident that I will be rehoming about half of the contents.

This morning was zumba and yoga. Still loving the new yoga class! And zumba! Finding a good yoga studio will be very high on my list when I'm getting settled.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next