Glad to be here!

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next

Go down

Re: Glad to be here!

Post by The Walrus on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks all, especially thanks LB, I’m a huge Dr. Akil fan, one of the few books I own in both hard copy and digital. Great interview, I highly recommend it to all.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:03 pm

I listened too and must check out his book.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:09 pm

I’ve been interested in Ayurvedic medicine for awhile, and it’s as if Dr. Akil read my mind - paleo and Ayurveda are quite compatible. He has some interesting ideas that I have found to be useful- oil pulling, starting the day with warm water and lemon, cutting out processed food (duh).
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:22 am

For you Wednesday the 6th has arrived  Very Happy , so congratulations are in order...

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:18 am

Happy Birthday! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:58 am

Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a fabulously Walrus day.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful year.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Happy Birthday TW, hope its the best one yet!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:27 pm

Happy Walrus day!! queen
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Happy Birthday to you Walrus!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:09 am

Thank you all! My birthday is almost over here and just beginning in the U.S.! king
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:51 am

Really enjoying the convos going on all the journals! Good stuff!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Yesterday I ate a small piece of fried chicken...who know why...and today I am rewarded with shockingly achy and crackly joints. Amazing the damage even a small amount of gluten does to me. Damn damn damn.

On the bright side, tonight is steakhouse night (late birthday dinner.)

My little exercise program is going well and consistently. My tabata is no longer candy ass, either. Feeling good about that.

My wrist continues to improve, albeit not as quickly as I hope for. The real problem, other almost no motion in my wrist, is the soft tissue damage in my hand and lack of dexterity and range of motion in my fingers. I am working very hard! I will do this!

The only thing I am sad about leaving is my gold star OT who has led me through this mine field with humour, dedication, and professionalism. I couldn’t do it without her. I am nearing the end of my therapy, or rather this stage of it, and will have a new OT in my new city.

All is full speed ahead for our move. We have been given a shocking amount of money for our expenses, and the movers will pack us up on Monday and remove our goods on Tuesday. Then we set off on the long drive. Dream, being eager to get there and wanting to make a good impression, said he would do it in two days instead of the allotted four, and was sternly told NO. Not safe, four days and no less! I’m happy about this.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Sounds like a great company Dream is working for, they are keepers.

Happy to hear you continue to improve all the way around.

Praying you get just as good of OT in your new city to help you continue your journey to health.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Happy Birthday, W!
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:12 pm

what fun you are having in this new country - new life! Smile Do you know where you will be living? Company provided housing I assume --- or did I miss a post about a house hunting trip? What will happen to the house you are currently living in - is it rented or purchased? Sorry - I like to know the details.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:40 pm

So pleased to read of your continued improvement. If you do the work, you will regain your strength and dexterity. It takes time - took me the better part of a year, but it will come.

Enjoy the chance to drive/see so much of the country, what a wonderful opportunity.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:57 am

Glad the company is generous with relocation help. You may be surprised how fast it goes away once you move and face temporary living costs while getting settled in.

Keep working the hand, progress may not be discernible day to day, but from your posts, it sounds like it is definitely coming along.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:29 am

Here's hoping for a double gold star new OT.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 pm

When I had my shoulder surgery they told me it would take a full year to regain strength and movement - and they were spot on! Aside from a couple little annoying "catches" where the damage was repaired I am fully recovered. The thing to remember is that once broken, things never go back to being exactly the same - but can still be fully functional.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:00 pm

Oh yes, the money will go! For one thing, petrol is shockingly expensive here - four times US prices. Fuel will be hundreds of $$$$. And moving costs money, no doubt!

Packing in ernest today! We pack our own personal things, of course. The amount of trash generated in this process is astounding.

The steakhouse was great, as you can imagine. AND I went in with no brace on my arm and cut my own food! Like a normal person!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 pm

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
“”
Desiderata by Max Ehrmann.[1]
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:48 pm

All the best for the move, which sounds wonderful, and for your continued recovery even if it's slower than you would wish for.

Thanks for posting the Desiderata, it has been in my mind lately for the line about your humble career being "a real possession in the changing fortunes of time". I could not have remembered that verbatim, so you have saved me looking it up.

The reason it's timely is that I have been job hunting for a couple of months now and the only application that seems as if it may bear fruit (interview Tuesday), is in my old field which I NEVER thought I would return to after almost thirty years. We shall see what eventuates.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:26 am

Ah, synchronicity, don’t you love it! Good luck with the interview Smile
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks for posting the Desiderata, it resonates strongly with me, and sounds very much like the writer was a Stoic - there are many thoughts in there that I have come across in my Stoic journal.

Best wishes also for the move and the continued injury recovery - great work on handling your own implements at the table, that is a sign of real progress Smile
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next