Glad to be here!

Page 19 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27 ... 36  Next

Go down

Re: Glad to be here!

Post by The Walrus on Tue May 08, 2018 12:09 am

It's not new info to anyone around here, but it is up to date and very well done IMHO.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue May 08, 2018 7:38 am

TW: good for you in trying to get ahead of the medical situation in your new locale. Hopefully you will not encounter any issues in shifting your base of care.

Congrats also on trying to keep as active as you can while the wrist heals.

Moving is such a PITA, having professional help in packing it all up is a huge benefit. But your duties aren't completely relieved. To make sure it all goes well, make sure every single box is adequately labeled on contents and what room it belongs in. Also be sure you track the stuff loaded on the truck vs the bill of lading they should give you, just to make sure nothing disappears. In my experience, the packing is usually done by a "core team", while the loading may well include a motley crew of people who will work cheap. Also, for any furniture verify what the movers mark as the condition -- they may indicate a table is marred, scratched, etc. when the piece is actually in pristine condition. Consider taking pre-move photos of anything of value. Do that battle before it goes on the truck, because trying to claim damaged merchandise is darn near impossible if they have already marked it as "all beat to hell." I speak from experience on this one.

I watched Magic Pill, highly recommend it.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 08, 2018 9:18 am

TW Rig has great moving advise.

Great job with getting your medical stuff together ASAP. Nothing like being thrown into a completely new medical system, needing major treatment and then moving away from that help. Girl you’re rocking this.

I too was crying over a few of the stories on the Magic Pill. Great docu and as mentioned, we know this stuff, but a good one to recommend to friends.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed May 09, 2018 12:47 am

Oh yes, the packers must be carefully supervised. We’re all over that!

Tomorrow I have an OT appointment- I’m keen to get an assessment of my progress. I don’t see the doctor until next week.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed May 09, 2018 3:24 am

Well, tonight I have made soup. Dream did all of the chopping, but I did all the cooking with no assistance. (He had an appointment, not even here.). Went okay, although I got a bit stressed at one point. It is an Asian-type chicken soup and quite delicious if I say so myself.

We are in the process of eating down the contents of the fridge and freezer - that stuff can't go with us obviously.

I walked a little today, down to the train station to meet Dream. It's kind of a big deal for me to be able to walk around in the neighbourhood without lots of pain and anxiety. I'm doing a little better every day.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed May 09, 2018 3:33 am

You're such a tease... Very Happy Soto Ajam? Tom Kha Khai? Either way, enjoy it!

Life's got to be lots better now, being on the mend like that.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed May 09, 2018 8:00 am

I am glad you are feeling better.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed May 09, 2018 8:33 am

What a fantastic report. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed May 09, 2018 4:15 pm

I'm thinking back to many years ago when you exclaimed - I never want to get married again, I love my life the way it is! (paraphrased of course) ......... and now just look at you! Smile So much adventure in your life - and sharing it all with a fabulous man. Smile You just never know what life will bring.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed May 09, 2018 6:28 pm

I do miss my old life and if society were different I would be happy to be unmarried, but circumstances dictate marriage- visa, etc. And I will admit I like a LOT more alone time, but as always, careful what you wish for! I will have loads of alone time when Dream starts his new job. Smile Sad

The soup is just a mish mash - bone broth, chicken, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, carrots, onion, garam masala, curry powder (Dream’s homemade) paprika, sriracha, coconut cream, and probably some other stuff I forgot. Really hearty, Lots of soup in my future. My birthday is coming up and I have requested a Philips pressure cooker. It seems to be the best substitute for an instant pot. If ip ever becomes available here, I will not be sorry to have two pressure cookers.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed May 09, 2018 11:47 pm

Great session with the OT! She took off all the dressings and I saw my arm for the first time. Gruesome but not unexpected and healing beautifully. Huge vote for collagen, I believe it has helped tremendously.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu May 10, 2018 9:46 am

TW I hope you get that pressure cooker. Smile

Awesome news about the healing, keep up with the collagen for the win!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu May 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Dream is also a true believer in collagen after initial skepticism. He has seen real gains in his skin quality (years of eczema) and his hair is turning dark again - he was completely silver and grey.

Exercises going well, althmuch room for improvement. So frustrating to not be able to make a fist, or even close. The key is giving it a good effort.

After trying to cool off my arm for weeks, I am now carefully applying heat packs. Really helps before exercise.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri May 11, 2018 8:11 am

TW that’s cool about Dream’s hair color coming back.

Good on you trying some gentle exercise with your arm.

Had to LOL about going from cold to now heat. But so true for loosening things up.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 am

How much collagen are you using out of curiosity?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri May 11, 2018 11:36 pm

Normally I have two heaped teaspoons but since my injury I am having another spoonful in the afternoon, sometimes two more.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat May 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Today I have a lot of pain for some reason. I wonder if it’s a normal part of the healing process as there is a lot of tingling as well. Bone repair is an energetic process. I imagine that at this point new bone is being created with great vigorous. I hope so!

Very cold last night, well down into the 40s (F). Doesn’t sound too bad but remember that this house has no heat source. Dream has a little electric heater that he cranks up in his office sometimes, no such comfort in the bathroom! Sad

Very busy getting ready to move, and yes, our new home, although a rental, will have central heating.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat May 12, 2018 9:03 pm

Sorry to hear about the pain. I hope the morning will find you feeling a bit better and hopefully warmer as well.

Reminded me of a few posts from M2M on inside temps.

Good news that the new home will have heat to use as needed,
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 pm

A while back I read in Val's journal about baking soda for inflammation, and since I have never had more inflammation, decided to try it. The results have been great - a huge difference. I'll be keeping up with this simple habit.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun May 13, 2018 7:37 pm

There is a keto summit going on right now, almost over. I signed up for it just to hear Mark Sisson’s talk. I hadn’t really considered keto, but after this truly miserable injury I feel like doing something big. Not able to right now because I cannot prepare my own food AND will be moving soon, also I have enough challenges just getting through each day with a minimum of pain. But in a few weeks I will look at it more closely. I’m always turned off by the word detox, but hey, I feel a bit toxic. I think of all the bone fragments my body had to reabsorb, the shocking amount of bruising - my arm was black from fingertips to halfway up my upper forearm, and is now a spectrum of yellow and green - yuck. I’ll need to get Mark’s book, hope it is readily available here. Luckily I can Mark’s mayo, which I am addicted to, and have got Dream onto it as well.

Had a lovely Mother’s Day lunch with MIL, BIL, and Dream. I got MIL talking about the past, which is a good topic because her severe memory loss means the present and future don’t exist for her. Dream paid me the compliment of remarking that he now looks forward to family events as they go more smoothly with me around!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun May 13, 2018 8:10 pm

That is such a sweet comment TW. Good for you!

Wish your arm did not hurt so much.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun May 13, 2018 9:27 pm

What a lovely thing to hear! It's wonderful being welcomed into a new family with open arms.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun May 13, 2018 9:35 pm

I like his brother a lot - he is the absolute stereotype of a very intelligent person (math genius) but socially inept. Dream says that he wants to have a conversation with him but gets frustrated quickly- better to let me hold up an end of the conversation and just listen. Very unusual for Dream as he is quite garrulous ordinarily.

Changed the dressing on my arm this morning. The incision is healing beautifully, the stitches barely visible. They are clear and finer than a hair - even my baby fine hair. I see the doctor on Thursday and the OT on Friday.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun May 13, 2018 9:39 pm

My son is kinda like that. Genius level IQ - socially he struggles. He has no room in his brain to mess with idle chat. Drives my hubby nuts when son and I start talking cuz it always goes to a long drawn out discussion about things far deeper than hubby like to think about. I can't quite keep up with son's intellect - but I can hold my own and keep the conversation going. Smile I like smart people Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon May 14, 2018 4:25 pm

TW so great to hear you fitting in and even taking pressure off of Dream.

Awesome news about the arm healing as well
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27 ... 36  Next