Glad to be here!

Page 11 of 39 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 39  Next

Go down

Re: Glad to be here!

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:17 pm

The Walrus wrote:Thanks for that!  Plenty of goats here too!

Plus a Felix and dad bonus.....
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:59 am

My first day of work went really well.  Lots of little detail to remember, although the work itself is not challenging.  The main thing was the driving went well!  I am getting used to driving on the left hand side, and am finding it strangely easier...or something.  I have never liked to drive, and that isn't changing, but the opposite side isn't bothering me.  It is, of course, totally foreign as far as directions and I have not knowledge of which roads lead where.  Thank all the heavens for GPS - it has served me well. I navigated to work and back on the main highway with no problems. Whew!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:00 am

The Walrus wrote:My first day of work went really well.  Lots of little detail to remember, although the work itself is not challenging.  The main thing was the driving went well!  I am getting used to driving on the left hand side, and am finding it strangely easier...or something.  I have never liked to drive, and that isn't changing, but the opposite side isn't bothering me.  It is, of course, totally foreign as far as directions and I have not knowledge of which roads lead where.  Thank all the heavens for GPS - it has served me well.  I navigated to work and back on the main highway with no problems.  Whew!

I'm glad your first day went well.  You are working in a doctor's office??  I am sure it is a welcome change from the frantic pace of a hospital.  Happy the driving is going well. Waiting for pics, so we can visit vicariously!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Glad the driving is OK for you, I think I'd have real trouble with left side driving. Having a good first day at work is really encouraging, so it sound like everything is moving forward very well for you. Congrats and keep it up.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Happy to read all things go!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Sounds like and awesome day. Not sure how I’d do driving on the other side. Glad you are finding that part easy.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Yesterday was not such a good day. We went kayaking - sounds great, right? It had some good moments but overall was a disaster. First, Dream bought us a double kayak that had to be lifted and portaged over a fence, up stairs, around trees with thorns the size of my hand, and finally lifted on top of the car. It weighs almost 100 lbs! I was wrecked after that - physically just wrecked. Then it had to be lifted off the car into the water, much easier but since I was already knackered it was just one more thing. The paddle was a bit of a slog, and apparently I'm crap at it, being continually told to use my core instead of my arms - I thought I WAS using my core...doing the best I could...etc. We went to a neighbouring island and went round in the mangroves - that part was really nice. Saw some wildlife, but let's be honest - I moved here from rural Maine, where we literally wade through wildlife to pick up our mail. Things got no better after that - we were putting the kayak on the car, it slipped and hit me square in the thigh. I have an enormous puffy bruise and it is quite sore. I'm fortunate it got me on the muscle and not a knee. Anyway. I was feeling quite emotional and suddenly became overcome by homesickness. My little flat, the songbirds at the feeder, the cold sea, the trees, the stars. I cried like a child. Very embarrassing. The rest of the day was somewhat better. In the evening we went for a walk and got caught in a tremendous storm - lightning everywhere, torrential rain. It was like a combination disco, steam bath, and
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Oh TW I’m so sorry this outing didn’t turn out how you planned.

Being homesick is a natural thing, it’s going to take time to adjust. Don’t push too hard and accept the tears when they come.

I hope Dream was understanding of it all
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:55 pm

{{hugs}}
I second the hope that Dream was supportive during all of the happenings
I'd be surprised if you didn't get homesick off and on
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 am

Mama said there'd be days like this....

I hear you on the car top carrier and its use. I did not buy a kayak for that very reason. I'd have to juggle it on my own. A double kayak? Whoza.

Hope your leg mends quickly. Epsom Salt bath order of the day.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Sounds like a difficult day, and when on one hand you've attained something you've been working towards for so long, and yet, it isn't completely perfect, it is totally normal to have emotions come popping to the top. Roll with it and the homesickness. You will adjust and I hope, come to love your new home and situation. More hugs!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:35 am

Thanks all! I'm doing a bit better. Actually, after my little meltdown I feel a bit more grounded. The reality is that nothing is wonderful all of the time, and wonderful things can still be bloody difficult.

Not sure what we will do about the kayak. We talked about yesterday and today, when emotions are a bit calmer. Dream, for all of his good features, does not always take in what I tell him, i.e. LISTEN. I have told him that under no circumstances will I lift the kayak except to carry it on short distances - not over my head, not onto the car, not onto anything. I am counting myself fortunate that I did not seriously injure myself as good form is impossible when doing something like that.

Work tomorrow! I will be so happy when I am more confident and feeling more proficient. Already I am wishing for more work. Work is very grounding, and my ego could use some stroking! My new co-workers were very appreciative of my efforts, and I feel like I can make a real contribution. It's not the job of my dreams, but I really need to be out of the house sometimes, and I need to be with other people. I am hoping to join a church and a gym soon. The gym might have to wait until I am more gainfully employed, but church is free (except for tithing, of course.).

My leg is really sore but only has a faint bruise. There is a bit of lump. It really hurts when I walk a lot, makes sense as the muscle is bruised. Not terrible, though.

Food is pretty good. It is very hot and humid and I seem to get filled up very quickly at mealtimes. Also, there are no sweets in the house! I could probably murder a pint of ice cream, and there would be a price to be paid.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:28 am

Ah, good to hear from you, I missed your post of yesterday only to see everyone commiserating and hoped you hadn't come completely unstuck.  Massive adjustment, chin up you will survive and thrive.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:05 am

Look around for a community center type facility for a free or less expensive gym. If you are resident of the city where it is, the cost for these is usually pretty cheap. I like your idea on finding a church, and remember that for most of us, making a 10% contribution to the offering plate is not mandatory, especially if you are just getting going financially.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:35 am

You were so active at the Y in Maine, that I know you are missing it. Is there a community board where activities are posted. Or join a church and offer to volunteer to start a yoga class. I know you are not a professional instructor, but if you start it, you might have some volunteer.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Very good ideas! And churches often host exercise classes, don't they? Could be a double win.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Not at all helpful, but having done a good bit of both, I have to say that kayaking in individual boats is far more fun that a 2 person kayak or canoe for that matter. I like so much better to be responsible for myself. And those commands from the partner... hate them!!!!

I hope you can find a good source of group movement, I know how you love a good class.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Happy to hear you are feeling better and had a good talk with Dream about it all

Good luck finding a church that meets with your needs. And a place for group classes either at the church or somewhere not to pricy.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:25 am

Ditto on M2M's comments about canoe partners. I hated canoeing solely based on that. Once I did have a good partner and it was nice.

Kayaking alone....wonderfully nice and easy.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Monday morning here - had a fabulous weekend! Really memorable, although nothing really special - just life in paradise Smile. (I'm only kidding a little bit!). Friday I had my first day solo at work, rather rocky but I got through it, and my co-worker is extremely supportive in terms of winking at my errors and providing constructive critique. As the day wore on, I realised I had done some things wrong, but there was no time to go back and correct, and there were a couple of other things where I erred on the side of caution and so should be easily corrected, i.e. don't throw away stuff unless you are POSITIVE it can be discarded. Got home rather late on Friday night to find Dream had done some DIY around the house and fixed some things that badly needed fixing, which was just about the nicest thing ever to come home to. As icing on the cake, he had prepared a lovely dinner. Then Saturday morning we went to the local farmers market, a really quality event right in the neighbourhood. It was like a fantasy, walking around with Dream, buying fresh veg and fruit, having a coffee, chatting. He would never admit this in a million years, but he loves shopping. Not for women's clothing, but for just about everything else. We both agreed that it was a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. Of course we had an amazing lunch with our buys - salad, fresh salmon. In the afternoon we went to a nearby friend's house and enjoyed drinking tea and having a good chat. Took the dogs for a long walk - so pleasant through a seaside park full of people enjoying themselves, picnicking, playing sports. It was quite hot, but the late afternoon was okay. Then Sunday we went to the church I wanted to check out. Dream is always game to try whatever I want to do. I am not used to this! It's new and different and quite nice! Sadly, the church was not what I am looking for, and we won't return. Very nice people but much too modern for me, no choir, no real structure. I am very traditional in my formal worship, although I know this will be difficult to find here. Thankfully, Dream felt exactly the same way.

After a lunch of fruit (too hot for anything else) we did some chores and sheltered in the A/C, watched a couple of videos. The A/C here is not the ice cold variety found in the U.S., but just enough to make it bearable. Energy is very expensive here. Dream's house has A/C only in his office and the bedroom, the rest is sea breeze cooled. Did some chores, which I am finding very enjoyable. We were leaving the grocery store, and I remarked on how much I enjoyed our little outings, very different from my old life in the U.S., where grocery visits were just something that had to be done. Dream said the same thing - he had greatly enjoyed our trips to the supermarket when visiting me in the U.S.

By now it was time to walk the dogs again (every afternoon without fail, come hell or high water - literally.) Much cooler last evening, and again the park was alive with people. The last part of the walk is along the Main Street of the village, packed with restaurants and bars which are hopping crazy on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. So much energy! Then another lovely dinner, and watched a vid or two. Good thing we both like futuristic space/science fiction, and Netflix is heavy on those offerings!

So that was my weekend, and I'm in a much better frame of mind than I was. I realise how very, very, very lucky I am. Not only have I found my life partner, I have found my life partner in one of the most liveable and pleasant places on the planet.

Today the temp is moderate, and rumour has it that the worst of the heat is over and we are looking at near-perfect days until late November, when it will heat up again. Imagine! One great thing is that I can dress very casually, no one wears tights or pantyhose, bare legs everywhere, and loose comfortable dresses are practically a uniform. Luckily I have quite a few loose comfy dresses!

So - I'm not naive enough to think I won't have bad days in the future, but I'm much more grounded now, and every day my learning curve advances. I am pretty good at driving on the left side, and I am getting used to my new (old) car, which is much wider and longer than any car I ever remember driving. One good thing is that it already has scratches and dings, and so no real harm comes from a minor scrape as long as it doesn't involve another car! We are considering fitting it with a roof rack for our kayaks for this reason.

Kayaks - a complicated issue, but in a good way. I like the double because we do long ocean trips to the outer islands - 30 kilometres round trip. This is just too much for me at this point. When we have done these trips, even the experienced and strong ladies tend to become overly fatigued, and the guys often swap things out and put anyone who is too tired in a double. Nothing sexist about this, just purely practical. I would like to have my own kayak for shorter excursions, but we have only one rack and getting a second will involve great expense. Something for the future, maybe when I am once again in full time work. Of course the kayak itself has to be purchased, not a small ticket item. One of our neighbours has very generously offered to help with the loading and unloading, and Dream is working on devising a system for loading from the back that will not involve lifting over my head but just guiding the boat onto the rails. Right now I am sourcing a paddle, and am determined to get the best I can as I realise that in order to get better and keep up with much more experienced and strong paddlers, I cannot skimp on gear.

Food, eating, and all that - already I have slimmed down with no real effort. A long walk daily, regular well balanced meals, heavy on veg. I was in the shower and noticed there was a bit less of me to wash - and when I got out I saw Dream eyeing me. Later he said, "We are going to have to get you some new clothes if you continue to become sylph-like!" I got a good laugh about that, and I'm glad it is not just my imagination. I feel great and have been sleeping well, although I miss the dark and the stars and the quiet. Sometimes I wake up in the night and can hear the neighbours talking - the houses in this posh suburb are very close together. Dream is an early riser, we are usually asleep at 10 and up at six.

Well, I do go on! A million chores to do today, and Dream is away at work. Hope everyone has a fabulous week!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:59 pm

What an excellent report, Walrus. Your whole entry made me smile, the happiness just radiates.

Have another lovely week. All the best for future kayak adventures.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:11 am

You sound happy and I am so glad. Hoping you figure out the few kinks in the near future.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:12 pm

I'm picturing you glowing and goddess like! So glad you are happy.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Loved the long read Smile I've been hoping for a more detailed report of your new life down under. Sounds like all is going very well! Wink
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:49 pm

TW you sounds absolutely mahvalous dahling Smile. I so enjoyed reading your adventures. Sounds like a vacation. I’m thrilled for you.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 39 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 39  Next