Glad to be here!

Page 6 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next

Go down

Re: Glad to be here!

Post by The Walrus on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Hospitals are the worst food-wise! At least all of the ones I have worked in or visited have been. For one thing, they have very small budgets for food, and it is usually the cheapest processed crap from large cans that are delivered in semi trucks.

Lots of cooking with this Whole30! But I had a salad for lunch that was quite enjoyable. I mixed mayo, salsa, balsamic vinegar, and lemon juice, which made a really terrific salad dressing.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:44 pm

That dressing sound delish, I may copy it next week
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:43 am

Ditto on food choices in hospitals. It was always a challenge when I had clinical groups. I usually had a late breakfast of eggs and bacon and called it a day until I got home.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Bacon is a mainstay of my work day menu, and eggs that I cook myself in the microwave, although sometimes on busy days I am reduced to eating the caf eggs. The salad bar is usually sourced for leafy things, but I leave the rest of it alone - it's full of strange mayo-y pasta things. Not proper mayo either! I have my own mayo in the breakroom fridge.

So - I'm back home after staying at the hospital last night. It was too darn cold to bother driving home and back. With 12 1/2 hours shifts, just a waste.

The bad news is that my back is killing me - it was bothering me a bit this morning, and has steadily worsened all day...now it is really bad. Time for the heating pad.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:55 pm

Hope your back is better in the morning.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:05 pm

Quick healing vibes coming your way
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:38 am

Hope you figure out why your back is bothering you. All that exercise?

Stay safe on the roads....like the idea of staying at the hospital.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:57 am

Back is no better - possibly worse.  I called out sick at work today.  Obviously an impossible situation as I can barely move.  Definitely a sciatica flare.  

Took me a long time to get up and going this morning since moving is torture.  Also I was generally feeling bad, maybe because of the pain, maybe a touch of low carb flu.  The last four days my only carbs have been leafy greens with some onions and bell peppers.  Hadn't really thought about it, but I've just cooked one of my favorite meals that I haven't had for awhile - sweet potato and onion hash with sunny side up eggs.  Damn, it was good!  I've been relying on a spice combo of cumin, onion, garlic, chili powder, and salt for almost everything and seriously digging it.  

Maintenance thoughts - a few weeks I tried an exercise called T-Tapp.  Weird thing.  I started to see results right away - better posture definitely.  But I hated it, dreaded it, and just couldn't make myself stick to it.  I found it to be sheer drudgery and found the video presentation oddly disconcerting.  I wish the method could be packaged in some way that I find more palatable.  

Hair - After my initial short haircut I went back and deliberately got it cut a bit too short, past experience telling me that in a couple of weeks it will grow into a style that is low maintenance, natural, and flattering.  And it did - I'm happy with it and having fun with it.  My new color choice has been fun and I like it a lot, although I will go back to blond when it grows out a bit more, maybe after a haircut or two.  The trouble with the darker color is that my gray shows too quickly and too much.  

Packing - still working at it!  Argh.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:49 pm

TW I’m sorry your back is not cooperating today. Hopefully you can find some light stretches to do that will help. Maybe a few slow gentle Cat/Cowls, and child’s pose. They seem to help me.

Love me sweet potato onion and egg. Yum. Great spice combo too

Happy to hear your hair is working with you and you’re having fun with it.

Sending feel better vibes your way
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks for the healing vibes, I need them! I've been moving a bit, yes, some cat/cows are very good, also happy baby. And a few sessions with a heating pad. Times heals all...well, sometimes.

The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Keep getting well, the pain sounds very bad.

Haircut, going to short and letting it grow sounds like a good strategy that I might try next time.

It's a tricky balance to find exercise that is both effective and enjoyable.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:55 pm

I often find with back issues (low back) that the real culprit is something in my bottom, legs, or hamstrings, so I work on gentle stretches and yoga poses, but also give my legs some extra attention with some gentle hamstring stretches, quad stretches, and if I can manage it (can't always due to inability to move) a little bit of foam core roller work on my glutes.

Hope you find relief!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:25 pm

This has helped when I have a sciatica flare:
https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/lower-back-stretches-for-sciatica-pain

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Hope the back is better. Great job on continuing to pack. Food sounds yummy as usual.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Feel better soon! Ditto on hospital food completely sucks. Horrible unhealthy crap.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:36 am

marcadav wrote:This has helped when I have a sciatica flare:
https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/lower-back-stretches-for-sciatica-pain

I have used this exercise before and it was amazing how quickly it worked. Go gentle.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:39 pm

Terrific!  That really helped!  You guys are the best... sunny

I made a big confession in Pedi's journal - thanks all who commented there.  (I'm kinda assuming you all read my journal too.)  Confession is indeed good for the soul - I'm surprised at how relieved I feel having posted that.  My poor mom...she did the best she could.  Her own upbringing was horrific, full of abuse and privation.  

I scored some firewood!  I'm gonna heat this place like crazy for the short time I will be here.  Get used to tropical temps.  Cool

Back feels so much better after the stretches.  Also brought home to me that I am NOT ready to go to yoga tomorrow.  Although the stretches helped a lot, there was much screaming.   affraid I couldn't possibly do that in public!

Whole30 is all good.  This is a good way to indulge while pretending to be ascetic.  Lunch - large leafy green salad with mayo-based dressing (my own concoction).  Dinner was Zenbelly's Barbacoa - my new fav spicy beef recipe, so easy in the IP - avocado, and sweet potato fries. Here's a link: Zenbelly IP Barbacoa
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:48 pm

TW that recipe sounds awesome. I will be trying that. I have an IP so no issues there.

I did read your confession on Pedi’s thread. I. Sure while scary to do, it felt good to get it out there and off of you chest. Hoping it will help you move forward.

I miss my wood burning stove from the other place. Enjoy that wood.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 pm

The Walrus wrote:Terrific!  That really helped!  You guys are the best... sunny

I made a big confession in Pedi's journal - thanks all who commented there.  (I'm kinda assuming you all read my journal too.)  Confession is indeed good for the soul - I'm surprised at how relieved I feel having posted that.  My poor mom...she did the best she could.  Her own upbringing was horrific, full of abuse and privation.  

Whole30 is all good.  This is a good way to indulge while pretending to be ascetic.  Lunch - large leafy green salad with mayo-based dressing (my own concoction).  Dinner was Zenbelly's Barbacoa - my new fav spicy beef recipe, so easy in the IP - avocado, and sweet potato fries.  Here's a link:  Zenbelly IP Barbacoa

You’re welcome. Thanks for the recipe, may also need to send it to son #1, to whom I’m gifting an IP courtesy of Amazon this week as he’s now back at college in a rented house with 3 roommates for the next 12 months. He’s finally gone paleo(ish) and low carb to fit with his gym esthetic goals. Thought it might eventually rub off on at least one of my kids. Laughing
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:52 pm

Glad you are feeling better. I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to bare your soul in my journal. Burn baby burn (that firewood)! Very Happy
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 am

Hhhmmm, Chicken Fajitas….. next on the list to try.
I just made a couple of Nom's Umami burgers. The bomb for ground beef!
I'm pretty much with you all on diet to clean up, and pretty much same reaction to giving up dairy…….In my version I top the burgers with melted goat cheddar.

Still with Tam's food, it's hard to go off the track. :]

I find I do most all things better when others are there. Even if my mom is, just, folding clothes my efforts in organizing other parts of the house feels more meaningful.

Can't imagine the tremendous cold the other side of this country is receiving. Stay safe out there.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 am

Woke up this morning full of energy and MY BACK IS 90% BETTER!!! YAYAYAYAYAY! Those stretches rock. Today I'm going to accomplish many, many things, so off I go. First thing - stretches!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Go you!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:43 pm

As we have all discovered at some point in our lives, things tend to take much longer than we think! I decided to book my flights and instead of the half hour I had allotted...more like three hours. I found a very low fare, too good to be true, oh yes. The fare was just the starting point - I had to pay for carry on luggage, checked luggage, a seat (!) on each flight no less. When I got done with add ons, it cost as much as a nonstop on Qantas, which had no addons at all. Obviously I purchased the Qantas flight, but I wasted a lot time. And then I was careless - a bit tired at this point, and put my email address in wrong. Damn. Not as easy to fix as you might think - a phone call, waiting in a queue, then it takes 24 hours...at least I can see my booking on the website, so not getting the email is no big deal. Still....grrr....

Back is feeling very good, not 100% but good enough to shift a crapton of firewood! I still have some to go but I made great progress. Very pleased.

Also packed one whole box! Woot! But the day is still young.

I'm off to the eye doc - going to take advantage of my insurance while I still have it.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:24 pm

Congrats on getting your flight booked. So sorry about the error.

Awesome that your back is doing better as well. Sounds like a great day for you
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next