Glad to be here!

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next

Go down

Glad to be here!

Post by The Walrus on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Wow wow wow. Just finished a long stretch of work and sat down to tuck into the MDA forum a few minutes ago...geez lou-eez. So glad Ontario took the initiative here! And I'm so happy to see familiar names! You guys are important to me..sniffle...

Okay, on to business. A few months ago I bought Simone Miller's "Paleo Soups and Stews" because I love her first book "Zenbelly." I literally cooked my way through that book. PSS hasn't grabbed in the same way, however, and although I don't remember the first recipe I tried, I remember that it didn't grab me. Anyway, I've been leafing through it and today I made West African Cashew Soup. Delicious! I followed the recipe exactly (rare for me!) because that woman knows her flavor profiles. The only change I made was using turkey instead of chicken because I have lots of turkey, and at the end I stirred in some coconut milk. I might add some more cashew butter as it isn't quite nutty enough for me. I'll give the book another look and try something else after I eat down the cashew soup (I have an instant pot full.)

All is well on the food front. I haven't weighed myself this week, but I am feeling grand. I have cut carbs pretty drastically, and it is amazing how the bloat feeling has gone away. Hate the bloat. I have had a piece of fruit every day but zero refined carbs. Lots of vegetables. Nuts. No sugar.

This morning was zumba and yoga, both very good. Smile
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glad to be here!

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Walrus glad to see you made it over here. I'll have to check out that Zenbelly cookbook. Sounds like it's really good one if you cooked your way through. That soup sounds quite delicious as well.

Congrats on feeling well.

Grok on my friend!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Walrus. Your description of how you followed the recipe exactly except for the parts you didn't makes me smile. I am one who also can never seem to leave a recipe the way I found it. Anyway, the soup sounds interesting, I love cashews but they can be bloating (of course, I never stick to a sane amount once I start on them so it's simpler to keep them out of the house).
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Good to see you made the move Walrus.

I may have to check into those recipe books. I am somewhat lacking creativity in the kitchen lately and keep making the same items.

Glad you are here.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Now I'm laughing at my own post Laughing Just can't follow a recipe! Anyway, the soup is really good. I had it for supper as well as lunch. Also lots of chopped veg with primal mayo and an artichoke cooked in the IP. Love that IP! For one thing, I never cooked artichokes because they stink horribly when cooked, and they have to cook forever the conventional way. The IP is NO STINK.

Sure hope Pedidoc (Kathi) makes it over here. We joined MDA at about the same time a few years ago, and for a long time she was my only friend! And her journal is always interesting.

The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm here TW. I've just not started a journal yet. I want a new journal name and being a typical type A++++ personality, I am down to 2 and am pondering my choice. I've also been really busy! Hey, I still remember the goats and fat cat that got skinny on primal......
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 pm

So glad you are here!

I can't follow a recipe either and rarely try. I just read for inspiration and then go from there - not always successfully. When something turns out well, T always asks if I'll be able to recreate it in the future.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 am

So glad you're here, Kathi! Being quite impulsive I just put the first thing that came to mind Smile Ah yes, my goats, my kitties...I miss them all. I'm glad I journalled these past few years, as they have been the most transformative of my life.

My new yoga teacher has had quite an effect on me even in the short time I have been taking her classes. She emphasizes appreciation of our own bodies and doing everything at our own level. In our last class she had us all stop and look in the mirror. Then she said, "Spare a kind thought for your reflection." That really resonated with me, as I so often look at myself critically. And I have been kinder to myself, concentrating on my strong points rather than the weak. For instance, how lucky I am at the age of 58 to be able to do yoga as well as I do, to be healthy and have no real limitations - I am thankful for this every day.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 am

What a great thing for your teacher to do. I know I was looking back at wedding pictures and I have such a huge smile, but after several comments over the year about my teeth (mom took tetracycline when pregnant with me), I've forgotten how to smile. I always have a closed mouth smirk thing, which does not photograph well. I was just thinking the other day that I need to learn how to smile again.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 am

She is really gifted - inspiring, charismatic, down to earth, intuitive. Also her sequencing is outstanding, something the other teachers I have had recently don't do well.

Funny, I've been a bit sensitive about my own smile - as I get longer in the tooth (literally) I feel my front teeth are too prominent. I've always smiled widely - yes, a big toothy American smile. But I find myself wondering if my teeth are...no, I'm not going there.

A couple of weeks ago I made a little herb garden, inspired by some discounted plants in the produce section of the market. I have parsley, basil, sage, rosemary, and thyme. I use the herbs of course, but just smelling them makes me feel good.

Having a lazy day so far. It's ten am and I am still in jammies and have eaten two fried eggs, microwave almond bread, a bulletproof coffee, and tea with goat milk. I'm going to a workshop this weekend and have to take most of my own food, I really must think about that today. Since it is about an hour and a half away I booked a very inexpensive Airbnb - my first. It's a private home, and they have a very friendly cat and a barky but friendly dog. That actually sealed it for me - they said if you leave the door open the cat will sleep with you. Yes, I'm that weird - I will book a room on the chance that I will get to curl up with a feline. Sad, isn't it? Shocked They have 117 reviews, all positive, and it is very easy to get to, right off the highway. This time of year it is very cheap.

I think my exercise today will be bringing in firewood!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:09 am

SO glad to have an avatar again! Very Happy Smile Very Happy
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Good Thoughts Walrus, I need to be kinder to myself as well. I too can be critical.

Have fun over the weekend and enjoy that airbnb.

Grok on my friend!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Herb gardens are wonderful. I love to inter-plant herbs with scented geraniums. Like you I love a scented garden.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 pm

I totally get the cat thing!!!! I so hope it joins you.

Enjoy the weekend.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:52 am

Cute avatar, not much like a walrus tho'
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:37 am

Hehe so true, I've never found a good walrus pic. I've used this little lion for years - I like the bemused expression.

I found some catnip in my closet, and I'll pick up a cat toy at the store before I go. Ridiculous how much I'm looking forward to this. When I stayed with my friend in Australia, her cat would have nothing to do with me, probably because I smelled like Irish Terrier. Maybe I'll sneak in a bit of tuna - haven't met a cat that didn't respond to the smell of tuna!

Well, yesterday was quite a fail, food-wise! That's what comes from experimentation with 'paleo' bread! I also experimented with mixing whisky sours. Danger! Danger! Why was I doing that, you ask? Because I was KonMari-ing my pantry and found some little bottles of whiskey. I could really become interested in mixing cocktails, which is NOT a good aspiration.

But today is another day, and I have had my bulletproof coffee and there will be no bread frenzy today. I have to put some things together for my workshop as I probably won't be able to eat much they provide. For some reason there is always vegetarian fare at these things. Considering that only a small proportion of the population is veg, and an even smaller proportion is ACTUALLY vegetarian, I'm not sure why we are all subjected to this restriction. But I'm not going for the catering, so I'm not too bothered.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:41 am

Pedidoc wrote:What a great thing for your teacher to do. I know I was looking back at wedding pictures and I have such a huge smile, but after several comments over the year about my teeth (mom took tetracycline when pregnant with me), I've forgotten how to smile. I always have a closed mouth smirk thing, which does not photograph well. I was just thinking the other day that I need to learn how to smile again.

Now you have me wondering if that is why my own teeth are yellowed. When I was young the children teased me about them like I did not brush. My mom found me using bleach once after the numerous times I used baking soda to rid my teeth of that "stain". I always thought it was because she'll never drink milk. Hmm.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:42 am

Forgive me is I missed what this workshop is about but I am happy that you are going on an adventure. I hope the cat sneaks into your bedroom too. What a sweet deal.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:14 am

Meant2Move wrote:I totally get the cat thing!!!! I so hope it joins you.

Enjoy the weekend.

Ditto. On both accounts. Or better: all 3. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:09 am

I don’t know how to quote other posts, so I’ll just babble on - Pam, could very well be, especially if there is greenish or blackish cast to your teeth. The staining is very individualist, naturally, depending on the stage of pregnancy, the length of the antibiotic course, etc.

The workshop was about holotropic breathing, a fascinating practice, though not an easy one. I need some time to process what happened and how I am affected (all good, don’t worry) so I won’t say much now. Unfortunately we had a big and inconvenient snowstorm yesterday and on into the night, making travel extremely treacherous if possible at all. Wendy and I were going to meet up today, but the snow has played havoc with our schedules so we’re rescheduling for next week.

This is totally embarrassing but the best thing about the weekend was the kitty thoughtfully provided by the Airbnb! So friendly! Last night she crawled under the covers and slept curled up next to my back, purring away. Such great energy. The world is a good place.

Anyway, time for me to head home!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 am

One more thing - hair. It has been almost a month, and now I can honestly say I love it. A combination I think of my own learning curve, and the hair itself adjusting to the shorter length, finding its own level so to speak. Even though I went to bed with it wet last night and looked a fright on waking, wet hands and fluffing created a very doable do! It looks so much thicker and healthier, ther is no comparison. And now I can easily experiment with color and highlights. It seems to me that color is key with short hair, even more than with longer locks. It’s the difference between looking like an actual coif and looking like you just chopped off your hair because you couldn’t be bothered. For me, anyway!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:49 am

Glad the cat showed up for you. Happy you are finding your way with your hair. I'd chopped mine off to about an inch all around a couple of January's ago anticipating bad results. It looked fine, but we never came to a peaceful resolution as to how it was going to behave. I've started growing it out. The back is finally one length, but the sides are still working on no layers. It is maybe 6 inches above my shoulders. I'm not going super long, just want to be able to do a French twist, pony tail, and French braid every now and then.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi TW!! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:02 am

Glad you have gotten used to your hair and you like.

Happy for the kitty to seek you out....how honored you must have felt.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:32 pm

The Walrus wrote:
......the kitty thoughtfully provided by the Airbnb!  So friendly!  Last night she crawled under the covers and slept curled up next to my back, purring away.

CUTE!!

Funny, but, the best way I can control my hair is to purposely sleep with it freshly washed spread out on my pillow. Then it comes out full and bouncy. I have weird, high maintenance textured hair and have found this odd care tames it. I do know that the right cut makes a world of difference in handling and grow outs.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next