What browser to use?

Go down

What browser to use?

Post by Rig D on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:44 am

People have reported problems using these browsers on Primalforums:
Safari--Note that other user (see below) uses this just fine.

These seem to work fine (aphabetically ordered)
Chrome
Firefox

No info on others as yet. Will update this post as info comes in.

Last edited by Rig D on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What browser to use?

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Rig that's interesting as I use Safari for hear exclusively, both on my computer and on my iPad. I haven't had any issues and going through Safari on the ipad i get the little orange squares etc. Just wanted to toss that out there.

Grok on.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:17 pm

Rig - I now have an interesting question and have no way of knowing if it's tied to the browser or not.

When I check an PM and then come over to the forum, maybe several minutes later due to my life, if I click on "posts since last visit" I get nothing. When I venture to each topic area, no orange squares and it looks like everything has been read. However, if I come to the forum and go directly there and use that same function, orange boxes are visible with no issues. I can also move back and forth checking posts and I can still get that list.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Beats me, I haven't seen a similar thing as yet.
Try this to see what you see. Log in, click the posts since last visit and verify there are some orange indicators out there. Don't go to any of them.
I'll send you a test PM so you can have a fresh, unread one for doing this next step.
Go back to the home screen and go to your PM. There seem to be multiple ways to get to the PM -- how are you getting there? Are you clicking on the blue bar where it says you have a message, clicking on the blue bar notifications button beside that message or clicking on "welcome <username>" and selecting "My PM" from the drop down?

After doing that, go back to the home screen and try the posts since last visit again. I would expect you to see the same list as last time.

Let me know what you see.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Sometimes it's just a cache. Reload and see if things change.
sharperhawk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Rig - ok, here's what happens, I have my settings that when I get a PM, I get and email notification. Generally speaking I click the link in the email, that most times opens a small pop up box. I click that box and it takes me right to my PM. However, after reading your post above, which messed up clicking on one of the little orange boxes I closed back out and waited for 20 min, praying someone would post in the interim so as to have something to test.

This time I went in via the blue bar and came back. Posts were still there. Then i tried my email link, this time it didn't give me the pop up, but brings you to the home page. Went back and my orange boxes were there. Don't know if you changed something or what the issue was, but it's happend a few times.

I will continue to avoid the pop up and see if that helps.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:35 am

Nope, that is beyond my pay grade to change. I can edit and delete user messages (spam patrol!) but anything requiring any real dinking around with the software and operating parameters goes to Ontario. As a f'rinstance, I've asked her to modify the color of posted links, Sharperhawk posted one y'day I didn't id as a link, it just looked like text. She said she can change it. My main effort is watching for the Aardvarks vs Anteaters posts (none so far) and trying to work through user issues on a usage basis.
I think Sharperhawk has the right idea, it is somehow involved with how the memory is cached.
FWIW, I also get the email notifications, but can't seem to get them out of my junk folder. I may change my parameters here so it doesn't send the email, I'm on often enough that I don't need the reminder mail, just checking the opening screen for notifications works fine for me.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Rig D wrote:As a f'rinstance, I've asked her to modify the color of posted links, Sharperhawk posted one y'day I didn't id as a link, it just looked like text. She said she can change it.

FYI, I'm working on this. This forum is pretty user-friendly and more of a "click this, insert this here" sort of format. Basically a monkey can do it. Now the beauty of it is that literally anyone can do it. That means I can hand this forum to any member and it could still go on and be moderated and administrated easily. However, the downside is that there are only so many options. I have been attempting to change the link colour and although it appears to be changed back in the admin panel it doesn't actually show up changed on the forum. I played around with some of the other links (like when you click on a forum title, etc) and they changed when I tried them but the user-posted links did not. I have them changing when hovering but not when they're just sitting on the thread. It has to be a forumotion glitchy thing. I will continue to work on it.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Not to worry. I'll get my way around one way or the other. I'm thankful we have someone to keep the gremlins at bay, that's huge.

Ontario I think we will all survive evenif you can't the the colors to change.

Thank you both for all you do.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:37 pm

The links do change color when you do a mouseover on them. Don't remember that from the past, but wasn't paying attention. Not a big deal though if the color can't change.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:39 am

FWIW I kind of like the fact that the colour changes after clicking something. Makes it easier to keep track of things. JMHO.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nikitakolata on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 pm

I've been having issues logging in with Chrome. I cleared all my browsing data and started a new session and still, I could not log in. I opened the site in Microsoft Edge and had no problem logging in at all. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Could Lastpass be causing problems or something?
nikitakolata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:17 pm

nikitakolata wrote:I've been having issues logging in with Chrome.  I cleared all my browsing data and started a new session and still, I could not log in.  I opened the site in Microsoft Edge and had no problem logging in at all.  Has anyone else experienced something similar?  Could Lastpass be causing problems or something?

I used Chrome on both my computer and tablet today without issue.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nikitakolata on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:43 pm

ONTARIO wrote:
nikitakolata wrote:I've been having issues logging in with Chrome.  I cleared all my browsing data and started a new session and still, I could not log in.  I opened the site in Microsoft Edge and had no problem logging in at all.  Has anyone else experienced something similar?  Could Lastpass be causing problems or something?

I used Chrome on both my computer and tablet today without issue.

I haven't had any issues with Chrome today at work, but yesterday I could not make it work at home. Maybe it's an issue of being logged in in two locations, even though I didn't have the forum actually opened on the browser here at work? This computer was on and Chrome was open. I've had the same issue here before. Maybe I'm just using too many different computers/devices.
nikitakolata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:24 pm

While I was logged in here (Firefox) I called my son and had him log on using my username. He also uses Firefox, and he logged in successfully, and neither of us had any problems.

I thought the dual log in might truly be the issue, since PF seems to keep you logged in until you actually log out. But that doesn't seem to be it. I have no ideas for you.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:17 am

Chrome is telling me that this site is not secure and I should not use my password. Safari has no such qualms, though because my version is out of date it doesn't give the pix etc.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 am

Yeah, I get that too on Firefox. It is a site thing, but would not be concerned about it. I also got that same warning on MDA when I would log in. I'm not posting anything here that I'm worried about site security. For all sites like this where security is no big deal to me, I use a common throwaway PW that is pretty simplistic and easily remembered and don't much care if someone figures it out. Ha, do you remember when MDA briefly was forcing you to change your password every 30 days? What a joke that was, and it only lasted a very short time.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down