Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal - Page 40 Empty Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Thanks Pedi, LB, NM, Pam, and Ontario. We did a Walgreen's card, so the deed is done. Just need to write some notes, stuff and address envelopes, and get them in the mail.

Goodness, I've been a shopping fiend, but have made excellent progress on the list. Just need to spend some time packaging and then shipping gifts. As usual, there has been a bit more "me" buying than is advisable, and T will grumble that I bought him too many things although everything I've purchased for him is badly needed to replace something that is worn beyond reason - that man has trouble throwing stuff away when worn out.

Students are moving away as the semester has come to an end. Yippee! I love the deserted campus.  Friday is graduation so I shall walk another direction entirely, but then, the place is mine for several weeks. Got in a good 3 miles today and have managed to get the beacon function working again. 

Scheduling network interviews for next week. Ick! But, if we find a good candidate, yea! And suddenly conference planning is fully underway - got to get everything ordered: shirts, thumb drives, bags, goodies, pens...
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal - Page 40 Empty Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Happy to hear your Christmas is moving along nicely.

How’d you get the beacon working again? Was it a weird glitch? I’m happy tho as you’ll now be connected to T.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 pm

I do think the beacon thing was a weird glitch. I powered my phone off completely after redoing some app setup. Sometimes a power off is different than a reset which I had already tried. Or maybe it was the re-setup. And then yesterday the app was behaving oddly, a friend also noticed that so maybe it was a bigger system problem. Anyway, I was pleased it worked. 

I'm going to venture off into territory I haven't gone to for years this weekend on my long hike. At least that is my vague plan... that is the main reason for the beacon - I can go with my whims and yet T can still have a clue as to where I am. 

Today I've resolved that with the new year I will also be recommitting to no grains and ideally far less sugar. Yes, no sugar would be better but I have to be realistic.  Even if I just get to no wheat, that will be an enormous improvement and I think my body will happily respond.  "Why wait?" you might ask? Well, convenience mostly. ATY tends to have very carby food, much with wheat - tortillas, sandwiches. Yes, they have some GF, but options are far more limited as they tend to combine GF with vegan. Just kill me now... And I don't want to have stopped the wheat then restart at the event, that would be a bit of a disaster. I can also give T some warning that a change is coming. He can eat as he pleases although I'm going to try and make a case for the anti-inflammatory benefits in hopes he might join me. I notice his most recent pile of books from the library is on that topic.  

I think all shopping is done, gifts are wrapped, and boxes packed. Still need to address them, print labels and drop off at UPS. I am so glad we are staying put for the holidays. 

Have a great weekend!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:53 am

I LOVE the photo.  Glad to see your hubb up and active like before the surgery.  You both look so at home outdoors.  Kool to have the beacon for peace of mind.
I hope you can resolve the pain source soon, despite the slow medical relays for referrals and appointments.
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:14 am

Happy to hear the Strava seems to have been a glitch. Praying it stays unglitched at least through ATY.

Yes, after the new year my diet needs a major clean up as well. Too much creep with all that has gone on. Happy to hear T may be joining you on that.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:56 am

Meant2Move wrote:

Today I've resolved that with the new year I will also be recommitting to no grains and ideally far less sugar. Yes, no sugar would be better but I have to be realistic.  Even if I just get to no wheat, that will be an enormous improvement and I think my body will happily respond.  "Why wait?" you might ask? Well, convenience mostly. ATY tends to have very carby food, much with wheat - tortillas, sandwiches. Yes, they have some GF, but options are far more limited as they tend to combine GF with vegan. Just kill me now... And I don't want to have stopped the wheat then restart at the event, that would be a bit of a disaster. I can also give T some warning that a change is coming. He can eat as he pleases although I'm going to try and make a case for the anti-inflammatory benefits in hopes he might join me. I notice his most recent pile of books from the library is on that topic.  

I am 100% on board with you on this one. I, too, will be refocusing on the "good stuff" come January.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:42 pm

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised on Friday evening (as I was setting a small package of some very decadent pumpkin muffins on the counter) to have T say that he too will reduce his wheat consumption when I said I was going to stop eating it after ATY. That makes it so much easier!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Meant2Move wrote:Actually, I was pleasantly surprised on Friday evening (as I was setting a small package of some very decadent pumpkin muffins on the counter) to have T say that he too will reduce his wheat consumption when I said I was going to stop eating it after ATY. That makes it so much easier!

Funny you say this because just today hubby is going on about wanting to get back to basics and is investigating IF. I'm all for it! The more support and solidarity the better.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:11 pm

My back spasmed Saturday morning as I stretched before rolling out of bed. Argh!!!!  Nothing like one's own body saying, "Hey slacker!  Stop skipping workouts in favor of walking."  I treated it very aggressively with muscle relaxants, ibuprofen, and tylenol (sorry kidneys!).  I drank a lot of water in hopes of not actually killing my kidneys. And did lots of little movement stuff.  

Pretty well nixed my plans for the 25 mile training excursion on Sunday though. Very disappointing but I've one more weekend to fit it in, it isn't as if I needed to "taper" for ATY. 

Sunday I left saying I might just do Shoe Hill, but if felt OK, would go a bit further. So I felt OK and kept going, got to the next place to turn off to shorten the hike and kept going for a bigger loop. Ran into a lot of mud and then mixed mud and snow.  My planned longer hike would have taken me to lower elevation and away from the mountain so likely wouldn't have been as messy.  Still, I got to be the one to break trail on the AZ Trail... not sure that matters, but I'll take what I can get. Or something! 7.5 miles and still had a decent overall sub 15 min/mile pace. 

Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal - Page 40 Summit10

When I got home, had a quick bite to eat, then changed into work clothes and helped T with firewood. Dealt with some old logs that long ago were going to be part of a project, but have  now weathered to the point where they were only just barely good for firewood. Messy, nasty (from the chainsaw dust/exhaust), and hard to manage. I've a number of bruises.  Still, killer whole body workout, and we are well set with wood to be split and wood that was split/pounded/sledged into submission.  I was beat and still had house stuff to do - dishes, some meat that needed to be cooked. I added almost another 10,000 steps to my day after the hike. 

Today I am testing out some new shoes in the office.  A pair of Altras, which I think I might really like for hikes around home, and a pair of Hoka's which I am less sure about.  I am only considering the Hoka's for the super cushioning which would be good for ATY. And yet, do I need them? I've a pair of shoes that I've worn for the past 2 years at ATY very successfully. I haven't worn the shoes anywhere else, so they really don't have high mileage, but I also know that the cushioning deteriorates over time even when sitting on a shelf, and I don't have any other shoes I would use on that course or that distance.  Both were on clearance so I haven't spent a lot of money and I do have some shoes I'll get rid of to work these into the rotation.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:27 pm

perennialpam wrote:I really like the picture too!  You are such a handsome couple.  

Glad you are doing the ATY.  I forget what that stands for.  

Like the previous pictures with all your cones.  Smile

I'm with Pam......what does ATY mean???

I'm sure both Pam and I will have a "Duh!" moment when you answer...... Laughing

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:37 pm

Oh sorry!  ATY stands for Across the Years. It is a timed event/race meaning that rather than having a set distance to cover, instead there is a set amount of time and one can choose to go as far as one wants.  This particular event stretches over 6 days so one can sign up for the whole 6 days, or do shorter versions such as 72 hours, 48 hours, or 24 hours. I'll just do 24 hours. The name stems from the dates around the event, it starts just before New Years and goes for a day or 2 afterwards I think. I usually do the 24 hour cycle that starts at 9:00 am on New Years Eve and finishes at 9:00 am on New Year's Day. 

My approach is go as far as I can, but these events are great for people who want to try something such as a marathon or 100k but aren't confident they could complete the distance within the allotted time of a typical race. For example, most marathons have a cutoff time of 5 or 6 hours, yet if you wanted to do one and weren't confident about finishing within that amount of time, doing a marathon during a 24 hour event makes a lot of sense. 

My stretch goal for this year is 75 miles but given that I've really only been training since the end of September (I don't count the summer bicycling as training), I am not super confident that I can go that distance.  I'll for sure complete 62 miles/100k unless something goes badly awry, but everything after that really depends on where my head is as far as pushing myself.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:11 am

Love all the pics, especially the red sweater photo!
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:20 am

M2M - sorry your back gave you fits over the weekend. Sounds like you fixed it quickly though and recovered with a nice hike and all that wood work.

Will be routing for your ATY to get in as much as you hope to. Sounds so interesting.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:15 pm

WOW - good luck on the ATY! Smile Sounds exciting and fun! And what better way to bring in the NEW YEAR?
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks for the well wishes for ATY.

I may have been over-optimistic in thinking I had quickly resolved the back thing as it is decidedly grumpy today. I did some stretching at the gym this morning and am trying the regular "wiggle and squirm" thing in hopes of keeping it loose enough to climb with T today on our regular gym date. 

Thinking just another message from my body saying clean up your diet!!!!!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Happily, the climbing gym date was fine.  I slowed my walking pace to get there just a bit, and early on, stuck to easy routes with lots of whole body movement. That seemed to do the trick.  T is climbing well - being careful for sure, but trying different routes and testing himself. I know it means the world to him to be able to climb successfully. We had a great session overall.

Nice walk back around a very quiet campus. I love it when the students are away. 

So many little things that need doing this week... at least no major concentration is required because I just can't seem to muster that. I am ready to be on winter break!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Was thinking this morning about good things I've done this year. 

I've decided that one of the best things I did for myself was to get some guided imagery recordings.  I initially got one recommended by a friend/PT for preparing for surgery, and got it for T. But right away I started listening to it and liking the relaxing, meditative tone.  I never could get into the habit of a daily meditation or mindfulness session, but I can happily listed to the guided imagery. 
I belive I get the same benefit - chasing random thoughts away, focused breathing, relaxation. Full disclosure, I often listen when I wake in the night with the intent of falling asleep... but that too is a benefit. Instead of lying awake with dumb thoughts circling, circling, or worse, some terrible song that I cannot get out of my head, I breathe, I imagine myself in a good, safe, healing place, I focus on relaxation, and usually, although not always, I fall asleep within an hour.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:26 am

Meant2Move wrote:
I've decided that one of the best things I did for myself was to get some guided imagery recordings.

M2M wrote:I belive I get the same benefit - chasing random thoughts away, focused breathing, relaxation.

Very nice. Glad to hear it was so helpful to you.

Would you like to start a new journal or wait a few more posts? Whenever you're ready...
Lovebird
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:14 pm

"Would you like to start a new journal or wait a few more posts? Whenever you're ready..."

Oh rats! I was hoping to make it to January, but that isn't going to work, is it? I'll go start a new one, thanks for the heads up. 
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:31 pm

Meant2Move wrote:
Oh rats! I was hoping to make it to January, but that isn't going to work, is it? I'll go start a new one, thanks for the heads up. 

Sure you can... you've got until 1100 posts (about 4 more pages, page 44) until it splits up by itself, so no problem at all. I like the idea of a new start in the new year too. Smile

Edited to add the link to part 2: http://primalforums.forumotion.com/t312-still-on-the-move-part-2
Lovebird
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum