Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal - Page 38 Empty Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by perennialpam on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:23 pm

XC skiing sounds wonderful. Can't believe you already have that opportunity...we haven't had enough of a blast for that sort of thing.

I do hope the xtra strength antibiotics do their thing and that you feel better as time passes.

Hunters should know better than to look for their prey right around their lodging!

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal - Page 38 Empty Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Vh67 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:30 pm

An easy weekend would probably a good idea. Antibiotics always me feel icky. My GI doc recommends probiotics even while taking antibiotics. Antibiotics don't kill all the bugs and it helps keep the bad bugs from taking over.

Enjoy the snow and have a great weekend!
Vh67
Vh67

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:01 am

I agree that you should take it easy. We should listen to our bodies when we are less than 100%. I hope you enjoy your couch cuddles.

We recently returned to downhill skiing last year when daughter showed interest in the sport. We used to be avid skiers but then life, kids, and the fact that we have no mountains here and need to travel to ski, put it all on the backburner. We dusted off our old gear and hit the slopes. It was so much fun! We're looking forward to it this year.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Sounds like a great weekend coming up. Happy for you.

Praying the Antibiotics do the trick.

Agree with low key
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:39 pm

DH and I often talk about taking up skiing again - neither of us have skied in years, although we used to be quite keen. Glad you enjoyed it! Maybe next winter we will give it a try.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for the good wishes. It was a low key weekend and the weather cold and windy, so not very motivating to be outside. I still felt rather wimpy on Saturday, but perked up some on Sunday. Antibiotics will continue all this week and into next weekend so I'm mentally prepared for feeling less than my best.

I ventured out both days to walk around the property with T. There was enough snow on Saturday that we wished for snowshoes, so on Sunday (after more snow) we used snowshoes. Might have been enough snow for a little XC ski, but there had been enough wind that it was that bit iffy in places, and it was cold enough I didn't really want to play.

T had this notion that we needed to get a picture of us in red for an xmas card... Ugh, we were neither of us looking our best, but we dutifully donned red fleece sweaters then covered them with warmer gear and headed up a nearby cinder cone to a protected crater with nice big trees to try and get a picture. I have yet to see the results, but it is a way that we keep in touch with some old friends each year.

I did a little baking as T requested banana bread. Mostly it seems like I did a LOT of dishes. Not really sure why there were so many but...

Today is bright and sunny, cold, but not windy so I'll hope to go out in the early afternoon for a longish walk on campus. Sure hope the sidewalks are relatively clear... might switch from my boots to Keen tennies just in case.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:03 pm

Can we see the red sweater photo?
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:36 pm

The Walrus wrote:Can we see the red sweater photo?

Perhaps... Actually, I've yet to see it. For the fact that he hasn't emailed it to me, I fear all pics were terrible. If I get it, I'll share.

---
Lovely winter day walk around campus!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:30 pm

I wish we had taken a photo for a Christmas card, probably with canines. Would have been nice for my family and friends back in the northern hemisphere.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Oh, we need to see that photo! Is it going to be great or fall into the awkward Christmas photos category? Laughing

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:30 pm

I fear "awkward Christmas photos" - if all of them were truly awful, he likely just deleted them... I haven't asked. We had snowshoes on, so standing was that bit awkward, and well... Yes, surely awkward.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:48 pm

On a far happier note - weekly climbing gym date resumed today!!! We weren't sure if T would climb or if he would be successful if he tried. He was cautious to start and was on a super beginner route just to see how it felt, but worked his way up to something beyond basic beginner. He was super pleased about it and so was I. The gym manager who is a long-time friend and fellow endurance athlete popped over when he saw T on the wall to cheer him.

Ugh, it was painfully obvious that I've been totally slacking on upper body work in favor of lots of hiking. One must prioritize with limited time, but I could have been doing something... Oh well. Still did 8 routes successfully and was plenty challenged by the overhanging routes. Got in a very nice walk there and around campus on the way back.

Slept poorly last night. The house was too warm when we went to bed (super cold nights mean we are trying to heat the house some so that it isn't crazy cold inside in the morning). Had a bad dream related to the fat boy - who was poking me - and then I couldn't fully let the dream go as I was dozing. Eventually had to plug in an earbud and listen to some guided imagery. Lots of "light" sleep.

Out of the office tomorrow for medical appointments - PT then the 2 different brain scans. I'm going to take myself for a longish walk at the park in the 90 minutes between PT and the scans. The gadolinium doesn't usually bug me, but I am out of practice with not eating all day and I am a little too accustomed to carbs... probably going to be some hunger pangs.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:54 am

Nothing like a return to an activity to realize -- oops, there was a lapse in the training. Know you will take care of that.

Hope your tummy is not too mad about the food situation.

Glad you are researching your medical issues even though it is on a train to more tests, ideas. You'll find a solution I am hopeful.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:20 am

I am so excited to hear the T did some climbing. I know that will be super encouraging to him. You may see much faster progress at this point due to that one climb.

Good luck with the tests and making it through foodless for several hours. You’ve got this!
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:16 am

+1. I am interested in how T progresses with the climbing, if he is able to return to his pre-problem capability. I'm sure the successful climbing effort was a big boost to his attitude.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 am

Well, I'm glad T is turning the corner and getting back to his regular exercise. That's very good! I hear you on the "too accustomed to carbs" front. It's an ongoing battle!

I hope you find your answers with the brain scans. It is very disconcerting to have symptoms and have no idea where they are stemming from or why they are happening. It makes one feel quite powerless and vulnerable. I hope you get answers.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:46 pm

I’m a carboholic - I’ve faced he reality that this will be a lifelong project for me!

Hope the answers come. I’m on my way to my GP to go over my test results. Not expecting surprises!
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:57 am

Narrowminded wrote:I am so excited to hear the T did some climbing.  I know that will be super encouraging to him.  You may see much faster progress at this point due to that one climb.

Good luck with the tests and making it through foodless for several hours.  You’ve got this!

Ditto!

Hope you'll get some answers and start to feel better soon. ((HUGS))
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Thank you everyone for the encouraging words. Yep, T was on a real high to have been able to climb again. Rig, hard to say if he will get back to climbing at the level he was pre-surgery. Even assuming he maintains his current 130 degrees of flexion, that is a great deal less than a "normal" knee can do. If he can adjust and find a different position - well, we will just have to wait and see. He will certainly be able to do something and that is what matters most! His leg was more sore and swollen than is typical the next day.

My Wednesday PT was cut a bit short as my therapist wasn't feeling well. That was OK, it allowed me to slip in a bite to eat before the cutoff time. Then I did a quick bit of shopping - hate it when I'm at the gym and don't have underwear in my bag... commando is not my style. Headed to the park for a lovely speed walk. Trail conditions were rough - mix of mud and snow, so was not as fast as I'd have liked. Wasn't really important. Did 2 full laps so a bit over 4 miles, then a quick change and went to radiology again. This pic doesn't do justice to the beautiful day.

Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal - Page 38 Buffal10

The scans went faster than expected which was nice. The tech was not great at shots and had to try a couple of times to get it in. Ouch! Got results from 1 of the 2 tests today and that was normal. Nothing helpful about what might be causing the problem. Should have the other results by Monday. I will be curious to read if the suspected mastoiditis is gone - that is the point of the antibiotics.

Early on I though the antibiotics might be making a difference. Not as sure now. For the past couple of days the pain has changed and has gotten a great deal worse at night, and actually, I think it's worse during the day too. So dang frustrating.

I'm in a hotel in Phoenix tonight. Day long meeting tomorrow. With shorter days (late sunrise) I don't know if I'll attempt a walk along the canal path in the morning. I'm mentally prepared to do treadmill. Got to do something. Today was a waste. I felt crummy in the morning so got up late and didn't do anything, then after a short time at work had to go have a mammogram/ultrasound. Always unpleasant, and with the junk from last year, I was dreading it. The radiologist popped in and said nothing has changed. Good enough for me, but I fully expect that when my doc gets the report it will still recommend something invasive... will not happen, but they can recommend.

Rain/snow mix for errands and for the drive until I dropped in elevation, then just rain. Stopped to browse really briefly at a shopping center, but wasn't in the mood, so got back in the car and came to the hotel. A little online shopping, hair color, and then I'll be heading to bed as I am dragging.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Glorious picture.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:44 am

Amazing! So nice to live in a beautiful place.

Hope you get some resolution to the pain. Isn’t it surprising that we hear about great advances in medicine but never in the area we have?
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:36 am

I wish for you to find some relief from your pain. Sad to hear you think it is worse. Hard to really know when you deal with it daily and hope it is subsiding.

Your picture is shows a beautiful day. Smile

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:43 am

I hope the MRI gives you some answers. I agree on the sentiment of doctors typically recommending something invasive. I, too, normally shut down such suggestions immediately. However, I will say that by not offering more conservative approaches it makes some people (me) delay seeing the doctor because you feel that you go, get all this testing, and then, because their approach is so invasive, you do nothing or you research and find your own plan with no medical intervention. And then it seems it was all a waste of time.

I hope you at least get answers and start to feel better. I am curious to see where this all leads and how (I suspect) you end up managing it on your own.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:33 am

Beautiful picture.

So sorry that the pain is seeming worse rather than better with the Abx. Was hoping that might be the answer.

Something I thought of while reading your post was your pillow. If you pillow isn’t correct for you or old it can lead to lots of crazy things. I know I went over that with my chiropractor many years ago and the difference can be amazing.

Hope today is a bit brighter.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks for the comments and good wishes.
Yep, medicine is a wondrous yet frustrating thing. My mom is fond of the saying "they are just practicing". I am surprised that there are not better tools for pain management. Between my mom and T, I've seen just how inadequate that is.

Thanks for the suggestion about the pillow, NM. Definitely a critical piece as one can get in a bad position and stay there for hours, possibly undoing what one does during the day with posture, exercise, PT/massage or chiropractic.

Yes, Ontario, what is it with docs wanting to open one up? I was a little dismayed at how aggressive the radiologists seemed last year and my PCP seemed to buy right in. I hope now that nothing has changed in a year, they can let the notion of a breast biopsy go. And yes, I suspect in the long run I'll have to research/figure out a plan.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum