Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 33 of 39 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by marcadav on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:39 am

I agree with LB and NM. I've had bone on bone arthritis in my knee for over 15 years. Gluten let's me know how painful it can be.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Another one agreeing with Lovebird. If I eat gluten I get tremendous pain in my extremities. My hands and wrists particularly suffer. Peter Osbourne's book is definitely worth the read.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks for the book recommendation and suggestions. I had him sort of wheat-free a couple of years ago and he didn't notice much benefit, but I don't think he has ever given it a real trial as there was other junk in his diet at the time. He is very resistant to giving up bread. Still, right now when he is willing to do just about anything to hurt less might be the time to get him to try again. I see the book is available on Audible - listening is always an easier sell!

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:33 pm

Monday was a gray, icky day and when I got home, T was fairly despondent. Lots of pain and he is very susceptible to seasonal affective disorder when the days get shorter or we have a lot of days without sunshine. He was also dreading the PT appointment on Tuesday. Happily, I was able to talk him into a slightly better mood, and then the PT appointment went pretty well with some different exercises and therapies, and because he had made good progress and the PT recognized that. We also had his 2 week post-op follow-up appointment. His surgical scar looks good, it should be fairly minimal eventually, and the x rays were good. We also had some errands to take care of so in the end, it was a long excursion of 7 hours door to door and he was tired and hurting when we got back home.

I got T settled with ice bags and drugs and then set off for a hike before coming home to make dinner. The hike was excellent even with wind kicking up a bit. Another storm blowing through although I think all we are going to get is wind and some clouds, no real moisture.

It was not a good day for the "clean start", but I shall do better today and from here on out.

No new update on my Charge 3 - it made it to AZ, but doesn't seem to have moved.

Hiked again this morning, then walked with T and the fat boy. The boy was feeling spunky and climbed a fence pole.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Beautiful cat. He looks so regal up there!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Smile I've heard of a "post turtle" before, this is my first "post cat"
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:34 pm

Sounds like a couple of rough days. Hopefully they will start to get better from here.

Love the pic of fat boy. Beautiful cat.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:07 pm

ONTARIO wrote:Beautiful cat. He looks so regal up there!

Thank you!

Rig D wrote:I've heard of a "post turtle" before, this is my first "post cat"

We have a post in the house that goes up to the loft. Because we always have cats and they like to climb, it is covered in durable fabric. The boy (to encourage him getting some exercise) gets "cookies" (cat treats) every time he climbs the pole. Outside the reward has to be the view, but he seems to like looking around from up high.

Narrowminded wrote:Love the pic of fat boy. Beautiful cat.

Thanks!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:13 pm

My FMLA request was approved so at least I am protected as I take time off for T-related support. Not that I was worried, but, weird things can happen even when one thinks all is well.

We fired someone today, for the best, but always difficult to do.

Lovely morning hike, combined a Shoe Hill Loop with climbing the Snowcone from the south side which meant I got in some rock scrambling.

T is making good progress, particularly with being able to lift the leg a bit. Getting his quads to fire has been difficult, but they are finally responding. Flexion is coming along nicely too.

Hoping to get in a longer hike this weekend although the forecast is not good. Where is our usual long lovely autumn? Actually, I should definitely not complain about getting moisture! Also will spend a fair bit of quality time with an axe to refill the wood bins. Daily or twice daily fires were not on my original planning list for this convalescence. I enjoy it, so not a problem and always a good workout.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:41 pm

We always put in for the full year when DH applies for FMLA when I am having surgery.  Our rationale is he can only put in once in 12 months, so what if I needed another surgery or more recovery time.  He is actually still on FMLA until March for my hernia surgery.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Happy to hear T is improving. Swinging the axe to keep him warm will be a good WO for you.

Happy to hear your leave was approved.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:53 pm

I'm guessing the ax is similar to a shovelglove workout.  I remember TW had named her sledgehammer and used to swing it to music.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:13 pm

I think there is as much benefit from the bending over to pick up the wood as swinging the axe and/or chopper - but it is all good! Got a lot done Saturday before the rain came which was good because it came as a deluge.

Moved to doing indoor chores including cooking some pork chops and also yams, then settled in to watch a movie and relax.

Sunday was clear and cold. I wanted to get in a longer hike so set off fairly early. I opted for a route we've done a number of times, decent elevation gain and some nice views. A portion is on dirt roads and there was more traffic than I expected - should have realized people would be out driving to see autumn leaves. Wasn't a problem. Anyway, I was pleased to complete the 8.4 miles in a little over 2 hours, and best of all, I wasn't tired at all. I'm deciding about signing up for Across the Years, but don't want to bother if I can't get decent distance. It would be the first time I've done an ultra with a support crew. Not that I need one at that event, but T is excited about the idea of being my crew and helping me. He would enjoy the people watching and visiting with other people at the event. Anyway, I'm leaning towards signing up but haven't reached a decision yet.

T is making excellent progress now. It is such a relief and he is feeling far more optimistic. He still has a lot of pain. I hope that will continue to reduce. His extension is excellent, very close to straight (or 0 degrees as the health care refers to it) and he is now past 90 degrees when he bends although it does take some warming up to get there. Strength and balance are coming back too and he walks around quite a bit without support, but still uses a crutch or cane outside as our ground is all uneven.

We have snow in the forecast for this evening and tomorrow. Sheesh, we had our first frost only last night. Not much accumulation forecast, but roads will be slick and we have an early appointment tomorrow. More wood chopping for me if there is a break in the weather when we get home from PT.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:22 pm

Beautiful road.  Snow?  Seems like many are speaking of such this soon.  

Glad to hear "T" is doing well.  

I hear you on the chopping and picking up.  Lots of good exercise for sure....not to mention the warmth it provides all the while.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm glad T is making better progress and feeling better about things. Hopefully he will continue to pick up speed on his knee flex and straightening. He's got a long way to go get the flex up near 120-130. I found that my progress really slowed down as I approached 120. Don't let him ease up on his exercises or it will be very hard to get there. I hope he's doing them consistently on the days the PT isn't with him. Once the knee stiffens up you are in trouble on making headway.

If you are cruising along on your hikes over unpaved ground at around 4 mi/hr, you are smoking along, girl.

Is Across the Years a how far can you go in x hours event or a fixed distance event? Older son's ex-GF is an ultra runner who  occasionally does the timed events on a closed course and she runs for hours and hours at a ridiculously fast pace. She was good enough to actually land a corporate sponsor this year.

+1 on that photo being great.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Believe me, Rig, I pester T about doing the exercises. He is motivated too, so is good to do them even if I don't nag. I think he much prefers to be able to say "Yes, they are done" than "I'll get to that soon" when I ask.

ATY is a "go as far as you want to" in 24 hours event. Or 48 hour or 72 hours or 6 days. Me, I'll be happy to stop at 24 hours. I set a personal record last year at just under 74 miles - just walking. I generally don't run much except the odd downhill, and not at all at that event. Running at ATY would wreck me in terms of getting good distance.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Happy to hear T is making good progress. He continues to be in my thoughts.

I think it would be fun for both you and T to do the ATY with him as crew this year. I’d consider it. You are such a fast walker.

I loved when we had a wood burner in our old house. I never minded stacking the wood or even feeding/lighting the stove.

Did you get your C3 yet? If so, wondering how yours is acting?
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Did you get your C3 yet? If so, wondering how yours is acting?

Eek! The way you phrased this has me nervous. It is sitting in a box, unopened on my desk. I didn't have time to mess with it today. I likely won't touch it until Wednesday as I'll probably be home with T tomorrow.

Thanks for the vote of confidence re:ATY.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:33 pm

Not trying to scare you. I’m sure millions sold, and the complainers always come to the top. I’ve not had any issues with mine.

Not fond of the fonts on the faces as the steps and HR are grayed and you can’t read them in sunlight, but new faces are supposed to be on the way, we will see. However, from my extremely limited test, the HR seems to work well. However I can’t test it like you’ll be able to.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:49 pm

We woke to snow on Tuesday and it just kept coming. Took T to PT and a stop at the library to restock his supply of books, audiobooks and a couple of movies. Town scarcely got any snow and I think it turned to rain midday. We got dumped on. I spent a lot of time doing "snow chores" - sweeping off steps and decks, clearing the solar panels, knocking snow out of trees that were bowing down under the weight. By late afternoon I needed an excursion so I dug out my boots and snowshoes and did some loops on the perimeter trail, then made paths all over for my boys.

The fat boy popped outside briefly, but came in wet and rather grumpy about it, then went to bed for the rest of the day. T did a little walking around and helped me make an adjustment to the angle of the solar panels (way overdue!), but found the treacherous footing a bit much so went back inside.

There was enough snow this morning that I grabbed my XC skies and went out for an excursion. I was slow, but it felt good to get to ski. Pretty sure there was never enough snow last winter to get the skis out.

I am of the mindset to enjoy it while it is here, but will be very pleased when the sun comes back out and we get back to normal for the season temperatures. It is too soon for winter! Also, we are very low on power as we've had too many dark days in a row. We are not used to having to conserve.

PT for me this morning, still working on the facial pain thing. Progress is slow, but happening.

I've yet to touch the Charge 3... My fitbit One hasn't successfully synced to my phone for some time so I need to sort that out anyway, but fear it may complicate things in the C3 setup. And I'll have to disengage the Garmin so I can give it away as promised... Might need a walk first as I've a couple of errands to run.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:36 pm

M2M - sounds like quite a bit of snow. I know you need the moisture, but it is early for it.

I would definitely take the One off of your Fitbit account before adding the 3. Do a hard reset of your phone before adding the 3 so that everything is clear.

oh and get it set up so you can test it before return time, just in case. Just like any other electronic, some have bugs when first released.

Glad to hear T was up and about and even in the snow a bit.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:42 pm

From snowshoeing Tuesday evening. Really hoping to go home and find it has all melted away!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:32 am

Winter wonderland. I love the looks of the first snow. After that. Meh. I hope it was all melted for you.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:39 am

Pretty, but I do not look forward to having that white stuff here. Give me the white sand on the beach instead.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:25 am

Pretty, but glad you have it and not us!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 39 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next