Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 31 of 39 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 39  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Goodness, I cannot imagine showing up anywhere that someone was to touch me or do something to me and not be clean...

Since showers at our house are done with clean but basically untreated water, our plan is to come to town on Sunday and do something - movie, swim - whatever and shower T with the special soap at the gym. Home to sleep on clean sheets. Then on Monday we'll check into a hotel where he can shower, and again in the morning Tuesday before we go to the hospital to check in. He'll get the 3 soapings that way.

In theory, he will have the surgery on Tuesday and be sent home Wednesday... we were originally told to expect 2 nights but that was just changed as everyone looks at him and says "you look really fit and healthy and you'll do very well with the surgery..." Nice to hear and we both hope/expect that to be the case, but he is a worrier and is fretting a bit about being sent home too soon. Mostly the worry is that we are an hour from civilization and if he is having trouble, it can seem like a long way to get back to town and help.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Discuss his concerns with the surgeon and make sure they are aware of the distance.  I am sure they would keep him an extra night under those circumstances.  The other option if they discharge him after one night, is to stay the second night in the hotel.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Had an excellent mt bike ride yesterday, knocked another big chunk of time off the hill climb. I'm thinking that is likely the last big chunk I'll get, it will be smaller increments now. I was pushing pretty hard.

The nerve thing in my face is killing me. I've been looking at those pain scales that have the faces and I am very much in the middle quadrant. I tried acupuncture yesterday and while pleasant, it didn't have any noticeable effect. I have an appointment for next week at Campus Health. Meanwhile, I'm listening to guided imagery and working on trying to heal that way. Oh, and Sudafed and/or Flonase.

Flying to Washington state this afternoon, so spent the morning packing. Hadn't done a thing in preparation save buying the ticket a couple of months ago as I've just been too busy. Should be a low-key weekend. I'll get out for a good morning walk each day. I like exploring towns by walking through neighborhoods.

For now, going to take a little excursion on campus to take care of an errand and get a little bit of movement. I'm hoping I may have persuaded my Fitbit to sync to my phone again. It hasn't worked in ages and I didn't really care, but now that I'll be away from a computer for several days, I'd rather have that working. Had to fix the airline app too, not sure what went wrong there but it wouldn't run so I could check in. Deleted and reinstalled.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Discuss his concerns with the surgeon and make sure they are aware of the distance.  I am sure they would keep him an extra night under those circumstances.  The other option if they discharge him after one night, is to stay the second night in the hotel.

Thanks. Yep, it is on the list of things to mention to the surgeon in pre-op.

And yes, we might go the hotel route, I'll ensure it is an option by making sure the fat boy has feeders set up so he can go another day/night without us.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Great job on the bike ride and shaving off more time. I know that felt awesome.

Love the plans you have pre-op for T and his special showers. I think having the hotel as an option post-op is an excellent idea. An hour ride home might not be very comfortable either.

Have fun on your weekend.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:49 am

+1 on what NM said. Smile The 2 of you come well prepared. *thumbs up*

Happy 80th Birthday to your Mom! Have an enjoyable time together this weekend.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:49 am

Hope your facial pain is not made worse by a plane ride.  Sad

Glad you are going to celebrate with your mom.  She will love having your around and you probably get to see many family members you do not normally have the ability to see and interact with.  

Of course, you will get that morning walk in....no doubt!

Having a shower plan helps ease the entire process.  Good for you both.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:41 am

You'll have flexibility on when T gets out of the hospital.The nurses, therapists, & docs will have the call on if they think he's ready or not, and they will listen to what he says about how he's feeling. As a reminder, my hospital is planning on having the TKR being an out-patient surgery next year, 0 nights in the hospital for most patients.

Based on my TKR experiences, and me being a good bit older than T and not in as good shape going in, I'd say he will be fine with just 1 night in the hospital, and will be ready, maybe even anxious to leave if for nothing else than getting better food options. The biggest issue I see is that 1 hour drive home, being in a situation where he really can't move and flex the leg if he's in the front seat may become quite uncomfortable for that long a ride. Possibly go with him in the back seat, back supported against a door and the leg up on the seat where he can move it around some is an option, but will need some good cushioning for the back. I think that will be the same whether he is in for one or two nights. The knee is going to be pretty stiff and uncomfortable in the car for at least a week or so.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:52 pm

And I"m back! Albeit briefly...
Thanks Rig, I appreciate your input with regard to early discharge.

Weekend in Washington was good. Dad picked me up at the airport (late arrival Friday) having left Mom at home. He warned me she is showing some signs of dementia. Not a surprise, sadly. She repeats herself terribly when we talk by phone, and she has been very overweight/obese for at least 30 years so certainly has elevated insulin/insulin resistance. Excess insulin is hard on a body and bad for a brain.

We were all up late visiting so got up pretty late Saturday. I headed out for a walk knowing we might not do much but visit all day so best to get movement in early. A favorite park/playground is about 2.5 miles from the house through various neighborhoods. I love to wander neighborhoods and look at houses and landscaping. The area is a bit of a maze of streets that start and stop, dead ends, and big sweeping curves that cut across a vague grid. Aside from the dead ends, I usually manage to navigate it reasonably well and occasionally find a fun new route. The park had new playground equipment since I last visited and a wonderful structure for spinning round and round. There was a ring mounted high for hands, and a metal plate that spun closer to the ground. By hanging onto the ring and putting one's feet on the plate, then shifting weight, it was possibly to get spinning, and actually, was a little hard to stop. Haven't been that dizzy in ages! I never managed to get into a rhythm where I could spot (like a ballet dancer doing turns would) so I just got dizzy and hung on.

My aunt (mom's sister) and her daughter came to visit from the other side of the state, I hadn't seen them in about 10 years so that was a treat. We all went to visit my great-nephew (2) and then went out to dinner. Sunday brought another walk, spinning in the park, and more visiting. Rainy and cool too. Mom had overdone things on Saturday (she isn't up for much movement at all) so needed a quieter day. Hard to see her doing so poorly physically.

Monday was the birthday, but also the best day for my dad and I to golf, so she told us to go and we did. Lovely day and wonderful to spend it walking for 18 holes with my dad. Since I had also walked in the morning, it was better than average step day as well (25k). I've had so few of those this summer I must celebrate them. We picked up one of Mom's favorite meals and went back to the house to eat and visit.

Last walk Tuesday morning including a last round of spinning at the park, helped Mom with a couple of small projects then got on a plane for home. Not sure what to think really. Her knee is damaged and extremely painful so she can't really walk. Her heart is damaged so surgery is not an option. She can't exercise, is scared of pain meds (fearing addiction), so she sits all day. She eats very poorly - bread and a few veggies, dislikes protein foods, and has to limit greens due to being on blood thinners. She has largely given up, and that is hard to accept or understand.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:06 am

Feeling like I'm running full out since returning. Did make time for a massage on Wednesday to see if that might calm the nerve pain in my face down. Spent the weekend feeling like a nail had been driven through my jaw and that a nerve was exposed along my jaw. I think something is pinched in my upper back. The work was fairly excruciating, but did seem to calm things down a bit and I had less pain overnight. Today the spike isn't as bad but the exposed nerve feeling is still intense when I move my mouth - unfortunately a good bit of talking was required today... Currently thinking I'll pursue the muscular cause versus sinus infection or other trouble causes. T and I agreed we may be trading massages next week. He'll work on my pinch point and I'll work on his leg/legs. We worry about blood clots (not so good family history) so I intend to be a stern taskmaster with regard to his doing the ankle pumps!

Anyway, no postponed climbing gym date today, good Mt bike ride this morning instead, and then just worked like a mad woman until I left to drive 3 hours to Phoenix. Hotel tonight - bonus, I can deal with my hair which desperately needs a box of color, then get in a speed walk in the morning before going to what will surely be a very unpleasant meeting all day Friday.

I plan to take advantage of being in the big city and visit Trader Joes for some favorite items then head home. My birthday weekend will likely be taken up with last minute preparations although given the forecast, I think we might go for a swim on Sunday before the outdoor pool closes for the year. I would be very happy to do a little basking in some warm sunshine!

That is about it for news from my little corner of the world.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:15 am

Wow, M2M you surely pack  a lot into your life!  Glad you were able to spend time with your parents.  I imagine your dad was relieved to spend time alone with you too to fill you in.  Once people start sitting it continues.  I saw the same with my mom and my former MIL.  

Hope you figure out the jaw issue soon
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 am

Welcome back! Sounds like you had some pretty good fun while visiting your Mom. Lots of spinning. Smile. Happy to you could golf with Dad.

I totally understand your Mom. Mine does that sitting business as well. Not fun to watch, and very sad. I do find it motivational to keep my eating and exercise in line though.

Praying you can get this jaw/nerve pain figured out. Maybe check in with the PT? They might be able to DX what’s pinched.

Hope your meeting isn’t as rough as you expect today.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:12 am

You never had a rash on your face?  Shingles nerve damage acts a lot like what you describe.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 am

Pedidoc wrote:You never had a rash on your face?  Shingles nerve damage acts a lot like what you describe.

No, I haven't. No rashes for a long time.

Is there an antibody test for that? My history with chicken pox is a bit murky.

Last edited by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:22 am

OK sleep, woke several times but went back to sleep. Hard to get comfortable and temp problems, I am unused to AC.

Good morning walk along the flood channel path, had 2 miles that were particularly good at 13:04 and 13:03 but didn't stay focused enough to get into the 12's. More eye contact and smiles than usual for being in the "big city" and mostly well behaved dogs.

Now breakfast and on to the dreaded meeting.

Have a good day/good weekend all.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:24 pm

Gosh you're a busy girl! Sorry about the facial pain Sad I hope you get that sorted out soon.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Meant2Move wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:You never had a rash on your face?  Shingles nerve damage acts a lot like what you describe.

No, I haven't. No rashes for a long time.

Is there an antibody test for that?  My history with chicken pox is a bit murky.
Yes, you can get a titer.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:11 am

Birthday weekend or not... hope you'll manage that final outdoor pool swim. Smile

I know I'm a day early, however I plan to keep Sundays offline from now on, so

"Happy Birthday Claire!"

Inside: "You may be getting up there, but I'm right behind you! Happy Birthday"

That would be T ofcourse Cool ... hope all goes well with the TKR Tuesday and the following recovery and then the two of you can rock next years' R2R2R.

Hope you'll find out what's causing your pain and that there's a solution to it. The sooner, the better. *hugs*
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:12 am

Happy early Birthday.  I hope you have a fabulous weekend.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Happy Birthday!!!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a the best day ever!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:33 pm

Thank you for all the birthday wishes, I really appreciate it. That "card" is so cute, LB! Really looking forward to getting back to hiking.

Friday was not quite as nasty as expected but I didn't get home until after 10 so a very long day. Saturday we cleaned and did a bunch to get ready for post-surgery homecoming, then stopped early to enjoy dinner followed by cake and ice cream. A very nice day - it felt so good to be home!

Came to town on Sunday to tackle some last minute errands, then went to the outdoor pool for a little bit of swimming - 10 laps - and some very enjoyable basking/talking with T.

Last pic of his knee without the scar...

Tying up loose ends and got to do's today, then home to set the cats up with automatic feeders, take care of last minute to do's, and then come back to town for the hotel.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:09 pm

Hoping for great results tomorrow and the weeks to come with the knee.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:35 pm

Happy belated birthday! The card is great!

Hoping for a successful and easy surgery and recovery:)
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Prayers for successful surgery and quick healing for T.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 39 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 39  Next