Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 4 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 36  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:51 pm

M2M thank you for such a detailed report. Congrats on beating your 70 mile goal. Great work my friend. Sounds like a really fun event.

Your a beast for following that with a hike the following days.

I sure hope you get a day to rest your body.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:08 am

M2M, you are amazing. What a huge achievement. Congratulations!!!!
I read every word of your story, well done. Now have a good rest.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:47 am

I'm in awe... great accomplishments. So proud. You two make a good team and complement each other very well. You should write a book my dear.

Anyway, my strategy for combating all of these mental games was to forego the ‘grind’, forget willpower and determination, and instead immerse myself in the happy oblivion and denial of a mindless brain candy audio book. Or 2 or 3 as needed to get through the event.

Love your strategy plan. And the details on the story. Such an awesome read.

And then the aftermath... even more hikes after completing the ATY and both reaching your goals. You rock!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:31 am

Perseverance is your middle name. Another great journal entry to read in awe.

Glad you met your goals as did T. Happy New Year M2M!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04 am

Congrats on meeting and beating your objective.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am

Congratulations! You have mad skills, woman! As usual I dropped everything when I saw your post. Amazing stuff Cool
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks so much for your comments and taking the time to read.

Stats now that the event is officially over (it finished this morning Jan 3 at 9:00 AM):
Official Results: 70 laps, 73.48 miles, 118.26 km, elapsed time 23:23:23, 41/193 participants, 16th place among women in a 24 hour event

Strava phone app: 75.1 miles (bathroom trips?) 18:41 minutes/mile average pace, moving time is listed as 19:32:29

Fitbit: 104,114 steps Friday, 51,833 Saturday
Garmin vivosmart 3 watch: Far too many steps, 84.97 miles with a pace of 16:31

A funny side note – we do DVD workouts at least once a week and when it gets very cold in the morning, more often. We typically start with a “powerwalk” DVD (we have several) before going on to something that uses more of the body. The powerwalk DVD has a brief warm-up section with the same sort of arm swings and mobility movements we were doing on the course, so it reminded me of the workouts. T and I laughed about how most people who were at this event would be surprised to learn that we “trained” for the event by doing powerwalk DVD’s.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:39 pm

Having just spent 10 days together without a break, T was lamenting my return to work Tuesday morning, so we decided to keep to our regular Tuesday climbing gym date for some midday time together. We both dug out our largest rock shoes in deference to our feet which are still a bit bigger than normal. I walked to the gym and we climbed, although with less energy than normal. 3 leads, 8 routes total for me. Nice longer walk on campus afterwards.

DVD workout this morning - I dropped down to the pink Barbie weights...

I'm calling this an active recovery, I just don't have it in me to not do something most days.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Wow! That is quite an accomplishment! You must be so proud of yourself.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Wowzer! I'm extremely impressed and motivated to keep moving each day.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:28 pm

Wow then climbing, Barbie weights and a long campus walk. You are a beast my friend. Great work I need to drink some of your motivation Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:15 am

Like your new avatar M2M! What an achievement...all of them.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks!

@Pam, I decided that while the old avatar looked like she had an adventurous spirit, she just wasn't me... and, this year I want to refocus on agility and strength. I've always liked this picture (it is a few years old) for highlighting some good upper body muscles. At the moment, I think the musculature is likely comparable given all the climbing I've been doing, but I suspect I'd be challenged to mount the slackline successfully - something I hope to remedy this spring.

---
My "energizer bunny" wind-up key finally wound down yesterday afternoon and I was beat. I don't do well with sleep deprivation and I basically lost a night's sleep. Hard to make that up during a work week. I had taken a midday walk to do some errands which included roaming Home Depot very unsuccessfully, and by late afternoon, I was toast. Stopped by the grocery to get broccoli and went home. T was already in bed crashed, so I was clearly not alone in that.

This morning I was thinking I'd just skip doing anything when T said "let's hike". I wasn't going to pass that up, so we did a favorite - 9151M to 770 (these are forest service numbers) which is 4.6 miles round trip and gives us about 500 feet of elevation gain. I've entered a Strava challenge tied to elevation gain so I like any walk or hike that offers some. It was a very nice way to start my day and we saw some antelope in the woods.

T said "theoretically, how do you think a Tanner hike (Grand Canyon rim to river to rim on a back country trail) would go this weekend?" My response was that it would be a disaster. We'd reach the river and turn around to climb out and realize our legs were toast. He reluctantly agreed. We've been wanting to go since my birthday last September, but this is not the weekend for it.

Showing a rare bit of respect by my body, my plan is to forego a big midday walk and instead when my Garmin watch buzzes me to move, I shall take a little excursion outside and around the building to clear the move log, but no more! (maybe...)

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Meant2Move wrote:Showing a rare bit of respect by my body, my plan is to forego a big midday walk and instead when my Garmin watch buzzes me to move, I shall take a little excursion outside and around the building to clear the move log, but no more! (maybe...)

I had good intentions, really I did, but there is glorious sunshine outside after several cloudy days in a row and I just couldn't pass that up. I did keep the walk short at just a smidge over 2 miles and mellow.

Based on the AltShift thread, I downloaded the Body Beliefs audio book yesterday and started listening as I walked. I can appreciate what is being said, and certainly at times have struggled some with body image issues, but happily, I am mostly very accepting of my body.
While I have wished for thinner thighs, I never thought that having them would change my life. It took a while, but I've really come to appreciate being strong; I like the fact that I have muscles. Several years ago when my niece got married and I went to the wedding, I was wearing a sleeveless dress and my brother said something about my muscular arms. It upset me at first, but I worked through it and decided then that he was just unused to seeing me (we go years and years between visits) and that all the women in his life tend to be soft, not fit, and a little overweight. I would have been a strange critter to his eyes. I've worked hard for the muscles and I like them.

A more interesting tidbit that I'm mulling on was the notion that humans are no good at goal setting. I am terrible at this and always dread any sort of goal setting exercises or requirements. I am a responsible person and typically know what needs to be done so I'll work toward it, but I don't like formalized goals.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:06 pm

M2M. I did the same thing based n the Altshift thread, only I downloaded the pdf. I’m about 5 chapters in. And so far I too feel like while there are things that could look better, 8 know they won’t change my life.

Ok ,so you did two miles at lunch, not bad. You did better at realizing the Canyon walk would not be good this week. I think you’re doing great
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Narrowminded wrote:M2M. I did the same thing based n the Altshift thread, only I downloaded the pdf. I’m about 5 chapters in. And so far I too feel like while there are things that could look better, 8 know they won’t change my life.

Ok ,so you did two miles at lunch, not bad.  You did better at realizing the Canyon walk would not be good this week. I think you’re doing great

Right - that would have been rough. Actually, today I am truly taking the day off. Forced to mostly. Had to go for a breast MRI this morning - hopefully I am finallydone with this stupid episode. I am grateful that I have excellent insurance, and I appreciate that it is important to take a closer look when something looks odd, but am also very aware that testing leads to more testing.

Did the medical thing, ran some errands (vehicle, not on foot) and then planted my butt in front of my desk.

Doing the happy dance because I had more guac than would fit in the container so I have gobs on my veggie pile today. Chicken too - trying to get a reasonable amount of protein... didn't have my Greek yogurt today so missed out on about 20 grams.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:21 pm

A thought on "Body Beliefs" - in the chapter on "Monday", I had the thought that every day can be/is life changing.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Meant2Move wrote:A thought on "Body Beliefs" - in the chapter on "Monday", I had the thought that every day can be/is life changing.  

Well said M2M! cheers
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:31 pm

Meant2Move wrote:A thought on "Body Beliefs" - in the chapter on "Monday", I had the thought that every day can be/is life changing.  

So true!

Random thoughts - one thing about living here in the wilds of Maine, and maybe just getting older, is that I see that happiness/accomplishments/riches have little to do with appearance. Yes, there are outliers - trophy wives, etc. But in my community I see gobs of folks who are downright rich, NOT beautiful, NOT thin, very happy with adoring partners. I don't think my own body image is that bad, although I would like to be completely and totally accepting without letting myself go healthwise.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:38 pm

Haven’t hit the Monday chapter yet I guess. Sounds intersting.

TW there are those here as well, only they also are not rich either.

Happy to hear you rested a bit today with some good fats and proteins. Your body will definitely thank you.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:15 pm

It likely is a function of age, although hopefully not a sign of not caring, that we start to value something other than body image and body perfection. I get more frustrated by injury than just about anything else these days. Notice new wrinkles or age spots? Who cares... tweak a tendon and I care a LOT if it will prevent me from playing.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Oh yeah, I hear you.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Heavy labor weekend!

Cannot believe that I actually hauled water on Friday. There isn't much we can really do for the large trees on the property - just hope their roots are good enough to get what little moisture comes, but for the smaller trees that we are trying to encourage, I hand watered. Similarly, the wild bird population is drinking whatever water we put out. Between the 4 water dishes I have around, we are going through about 5 gallons a day for the birds.

Made an outstanding veggie soup on Saturday then went to work on the wood pile. We were switching things up a bit and wanted to get well ahead on chopped wood so I split a lot of aspen, and used the chopper (much heavier than the axe) on some ponderosa - more like blunt force to break the ponderosa up than the sharp bite of the axe. A few hours of that and I could tell I had worked.

About midnight (Saturday into Sunday) T woke and realized it was raining - he had left some bags of concrete on the deck under a carpet. Turned out the rain was nothing, but we didn't know that at the time so we got up, dressed, and because I wake far more mobile than he, I moved the 50lb bags into the shed while he got other stuff out of the way.

Sunday morning, I moved the bags back to the deck in hopes the sun would warm them and that we would get far enough along on the project to need them. Turns out that we didn't get quite that far so at the end of the day I moved them back into the shed again. Very functional "lift heavy things". I spent several hours digging a deep but relatively narrow post hole. The monkey bars have had a structural failure (a pressure treated lumber post that should have lasted did not) so we are fixing the monkey bar structure by burying a 9 foot railroad tie about 4 feet in the ground, then we'll attach another railroad tie to the buried one and will extend the structure to add some other fun gymnastic/climbing apparatus. But before we get to the fun stuff, it was a matter of moving the beastly heavy railroad ties around and digging the hole. Lots of hefting the digging bar, post hole digger, and scooping dirt. I was beat by dusk and then came inside to face the pile of dishes I had set aside from Saturday's cooking project. Eek.

By the time I went to bed I was drooping. Lots and lots of sore spots and tired muscles this morning during the DVD workout.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Annieh wrote:Oh yeah, I hear you.

I can only imagine how crazy that break and the cast are making you, Annie!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Wow M2M you certain did get in your lift heavy things this weekend, I’m tired and sore just reading about all of it.

I’d love to come play in your yard, sounds like fun. One of my fav shows is American Ninja Warrior. I think all the time if I was 30-35 years younger I would so try to do all of that.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 36  Next