Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal - Page 22 Empty Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 am

I can second this, because there is a definite difference in how I handle my daily stress based upon what I eat and if I get in any exercise, even just my 10000 around the house. However, a walk outside is much more therapeutic.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal - Page 22 Empty Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Lovebird on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:37 am

Narrowminded wrote:However, a walk outside is much more therapeutic.

Fresh air, nature... regardless of the weather, it will be helpful.

Self-acceptance doesn’t mean that you’re no longer allowed to change anything about yourself. It means that you love yourself without condition, regardless of your flaws; that you can be both okay with yourself and committed to change, at the same time. - Sean Croxton
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Lovebird wrote:
Narrowminded wrote:However, a walk outside is much more therapeutic.

Fresh air, nature... regardless of the weather, it will be helpful.

Outside makes all the difference in the world to me!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:13 pm

What's that saying - "Eat a live toad in the morning and nothing worse will happen the rest of the day"? Seems like maybe I've seen that recently in someone's signature - not sure what brought it to mind. Pretty sure it is Mark Twain. Anyway, there just seem to be a number of toads that need to be eaten of late, and they are lasting well past morning. I tackled 2 today... and then took myself to lunch and very consciously ate crap. T called as I was pulling into the drive through so I pulled into a parking space instead and talked with him, telling him what I was doing and why. He is supportive, and I could say I was saving the salad I had prepared for myself today for tomorrow to get me out of the kitchen earlier. He has climbing plans with with a friend and they want to get an early start. Our kitchen does not support 2 bodies at the same time, so I was doing a good deed. Cool Very Happy

I'm as yet undecided if I'll take a longer hike since I'll be on my own (likely), or if I want to go for intensity and do the hill sprint hill. Leaning toward the longer morning hike.

We rode our mountain bikes this morning. Getting more comfortable with speed all the time, and the new handle bar grips I bought and installed last week are making a huge difference in reducing numbness in my hands. Overall, I'm going to be short on steps today as I didn't walk around much, I was pretty well glued to my laptop, and then drove on my midday excursion.

Did laundry last evening (a multi-hour project since I only go to the laundromat every 4-5 weeks). A washer had flooded the place shortly before I arrived so there was a fair amount of dodging the deepest puddles and weaving around. During the wash cycle I wandered around the little shopping center. Saw a couple of tops made of beautiful fabric, but resisted because of the cut. That longer "swing" look doesn't really work with skirts and I detest pants... Oh well, saved money, right?

Took a brief diversion into a brain candy book for laundry, but am headed back to the Stress book as it is really good and I like the notion of changing mindset. If I am to believe my Garmin, stress isn't a huge issue for me, and I'd agree with that overall. Like anyone, I have days when I'm more reactive to events, but mostly I take things in stride. As the leader of my department, it is my job to remain calm... and really, what good does it do anyone to get all riled up?
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:53 am

As the leader of my department, it is my job to remain calm... and really, what good does it do anyone to get all riled up?
Azbolutely. There is nothing more conducive to a productive work group than having the boss go ballistic
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:55 am

M2M - I hear ya on just needling a drive thru day at times. I have done the same exact thing and of course have over done it as well.

You are correct about being the boss unfortunately, as there are times....

Hang in there, I’m sure the horizon is looking brighter.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Thanks NM, yep, today is better. Mostly I decided to work on pesky but not icky stuff. An approval that has been mired in bureaucracy for months finally came through so that's a positive, I can start moving forward towards hiring a replacement network engineer, meanwhile, I lost another employee today due to money - her salary increase is still stuck in said bureaucracy as it has been since last fall. This is NOT OK.

Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:14 pm

Got in a wonderful hike this morning. I should go more often, T wouldn't mind, it's just that given the option, I'd rather do something with him. Pushed myself and it felt good. Weirdly, after days of having my Garmin watch give me floors for just looking up, today when I'm doing a hike with over 600 feet of elevation gain, I got 1 floor, yep, ONE floor. Gotta luv technology. I do think the HR data was fairly reasonable (hit the mid 170's) so I was happy about that. Fitbit came up with 58 floors, and both devices said I had cleared 10k steps before I left home.

Midday walk to take care of some office related errands on campus. Chatted with the Notary who was helping me and gave her The Upside of Stress book recommendation after we talked about mindset and opportunities for growth. There is a small pond mid-campus and the lily pad had a bloom on it which was a lovely bright spot in my day. I'd pop the picture in but it's not cooperating.

No particular plans for the weekend, likely just various chores and home projects, a bike ride, and maybe rock climbing if T wants to go. He is currently reading about other climbers who have an artificial knee and are still climbing. Last week he asked me if I had to choose hiking or climbing which it would be. No question for me, hiking. He is less certain. I believe he could do both, and I think he is coming to believe it as well. Meanwhile, he is pursuing both mainstream and alternative therapies... bee stings this week along with the physical therapy exercises Dan gave him.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Monkey bars, so much fun. I remember doing them all the time as a kid, still remember those calluses on my hands. Interesting to see you wearing gloves, I never would have thought of that. Anyway, you look amazing, you are inspiring.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:31 pm

Happy to hear work was a bit better today.

That was one awesome hike you had. All your steps done so early.

Yeah technology and steps are not what they are cracked up to be at all. Zero consistancey and it’s annoying.

Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Annieh wrote:Monkey bars, so much fun.  I remember doing them all the time as a kid, still remember those calluses on my hands.  Interesting to see you wearing gloves, I never would have thought of that.  Anyway, you look amazing, you are inspiring.  

Thank you, Annie.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:37 pm

T told me Saturday that his sister, who has worked for the same organization for over 40 years and was pretty high up was laid off in a recent restructuring. I was stunned. I know it happens, but when I put myself in her place (I've been with this organization for 28 years), it was a kick in the gut to even think about it. I am very much defined by my work and my success at work. To be told my department was no longer needed... Well, it would be so difficult to handle that. She has already found another position teaching at the University. She is 62 and not ready to retire, and at a guess, like with so many of us, health insurance is an issue prior to Medicare.

Nasty windy weekend. I used to love living here, but with climate change, it is not nearly as good. And this wind, it just about turns me into a raving lunatic. We turned Saturday into a darn kicked back/relaxing day because doing anything outside was just awful. Sunday was a bit better, but I mostly found indoor projects. Steps were terrible both days. We did get out on our bicycles Sunday afternoon when the wind eased off to the point we didn't think we'd be blown over.

It was also a total carb fest this weekend. Made T happy as he is a virtual carboholic, but my body is pretty well screaming "Enough!". Wheat rash, weight up by a few pounds, and cravings for moar...

Bicycled with T again this morning, we are keeping these short and quick at about 6 miles as that distance doesn't bother his knee. He is very much coming around to the notion of TKR as an option. I think the deciding factor was learning he would still be able to rock climb. I would sure like my hiking partner back... 3 mile midday walk for me as I was out of guac.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 pm

So sorry about T’s sister and glad she found something else. Yes healthcare can be a real downer.

Those must be some winds you are getting if they can knock you off of your bike.  Definitely not fun.

Hopefully T will make his knee decision befor it’s forced upon him and then have it easier to heal. I commend him for trying other things to avoid surgery if possible
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:17 am

So much going on with T's family but sometimes we need to hear and understand possibilities. I was let go at 66 when I had no intention of retiring. At least she quickly found another job which is not always possible as an older person.

Weatherwise it would seem that getting the knee surgery during the summer months might be easier to deal with than winter. Know, I do not know if your winters would be in the decision making. Glad he is open to considering though.

It has been fairly windy here but nothing to keep me indoors so your wind must be awful. Could that be due to the open space (no forests)?
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am

M2M, I empathize with T's sister. I was much like you in having the essential "me" be about my job. I got Riffed out twice. First time was a real blind side, the second I pretty much knew was on the way and was better prepared. First time just ruined all my financial planning for retirement, ended up having to spend pretty much all my savings just to survive 'till I could land something. Tough to do in a high tech career when you are post 50, you are solidly "old school."

I strongly encourage others now to really review their financial situation and what they are doing for post-career. I'd love to be able to go back in time and re-orient my planning to be more into my own business(es), or perhaps a passive investment in real estate, something to provide a positive cash flow immediately, whether it qualified officially as a retirement program or not.

And it is not just "execs" that have to watch out. My MIL worked for many years as a production line worker for a food company, then about 2 yrs before retirement, they let her go, no retirement benefit at all.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:29 pm

And it is not just "execs" that have to watch out. My MIL worked for many years as a production line worker for a food company, then about 2 yrs before retirement, they let her go, no retirement benefit at all.

Wow, that was brutal. I know it happens.

T and I save like demons - savings, retirement funds (several), and I am fortunate to be a state employee in a state with a darn good retirement system. I don't want to be scrambling should something unexpected happen. I saw my parents do that. They also made some not so good choices and now get by on SS, but there is nothing extra in their budget.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:37 pm

It has been fairly windy here but nothing to keep me indoors so your wind must be awful. Could that be due to the open space (no forests)?

Just geography. So far, we still have good forests (scary fire season happening across the southwest, but we are OK for now). But, most of AZ is desert and lower elevation. We live on the edge of the Colorado Plateau/Mogollon Rim. It is the nature of how weather systems move across the state that causes the wind. And with the modified climate conditions, the storms pass by to the north and all we get is the wind. On the weekend we had sustained winds in the 30-40 mph range with gusts up in the high 40's. Not as bad as winter storms, but nasty nonetheless.

Remnants of a hurricane in the gulf (of California, not Mexico) offer a promise of rain later in the week. We are all crossing our fingers. Unfortunately, the system also brings big chances for dry lightning - potentially a disaster.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:40 pm

Hopefully T will make his knee decision befor it’s forced upon him and then have it easier to heal. I commend him for trying other things to avoid surgery if possible

He is still working both the conventional and alternative therapies. I think that will continue for a while. Actually, he still gets really good results (less pain and swelling) from the bee stings. The shots don't do much for him really.

He'll research the heck out of TKR options before committing, but the mindset that he should wait as long as possible no longer makes sense and he is letting go of that. I'm glad!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Left home early and guilted myself into hitting the weight room for a brief round of leg weights. I need to keep up my own rehab - too easy to let it slide now that I've minimal knee pain myself.

Midday I walked over to the climbing gym and met T. We had a fun and challenging session, then I walked back to the office.

Hectic day - it is a frantic time of year with lots of deadlines and folks needing stuff right away as the fiscal year comes to a close.

Disappointed at how badly I slept last night. I'm staying the course with the L-theanine. Gotta admit, I kind of miss the "sure thing" of a benadryl, but I know that isn't a good idea.

Not making much progress with the stray kitty. It is quite regular, happy to eat what we put out, and becoming a bit less concerned with our voices and movement as long as we stay a certain distance away. No sign of wanting to come closer...
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 pm

Glad you got in a good WO and some rehab as well today.

Hopefully T won’t wait to long on the TKR
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 am

What does Fat Cat think of kitty? Would they get along? Sounds like you are interested in adding to your family.

Yeah, always hated end of fiscal year and budget preps. Sometimes they did not seem appropriate to me. I mean no backup data for coming up with the proposed budget.

Glad you got out and had some exercise that is so important for your mental health.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:25 am

He'll research the heck out of TKR options before committing, but the mindset that he should wait as long as possible no longer makes sense and he is letting go of that. I'm glad!
 T sounds just like me on the knee front. I postponed replacing my right knee for about 20 years from the time an orthopedic surgeon first told me it would need to be replaced. When the pain & aggravation finally get him into surgery, I think he'll be happy with the outcome. Just keep reminding him, if he falls off, that doing the recovery exercises are critical to him returning to full functional capability.
I still find it very intriguing that his bee sting therapy seems to be working.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Thanks, NM!

What does Fat Cat think of kitty? Would they get along? Sounds like you are interested in adding to your family.

He is very mellow, very tolerant of other cats when he meets them. We had 2 cats when he came to live with us and he liked them both. Dilly hated him, but not because he did anything to deserve it. Assuming kitty is nice, the fat boy will be too. I don't believe they've interacted. He gets put in the house well before the sun goes down and anytime we are not home. Kitty only comes around at dusk. And yes, if kitty is nice and wants a family, he/she can have us as long as there is no big disagreement between the 2 cats.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:05 am

He is really good about doing prescribed exercises, Rig, but I gather you are correct and that ongoing functional work is very important, particularly for maintaining a high amount of bend in the joint. We've read that 135 degrees is the most one can expect.

I still find it very intriguing that his bee sting therapy seems to be working.
It varies a little. T is convinced that he gets the best results midday when the bees are in the warm sunshine. When they are cool and sluggish, the reaction to the sting is less noticeable as are the benefits. When he does the stings when the bees are "warm and fiesty" there is a bigger bump at the site, a bit more pain initially, and more relief later. No idea how much is true and how much is placebo.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:07 am

I"m in a hotel in Phoenix tonight. Crazy hot outside! Actually, it was quite toasty in Flagstaff today. We bicycled this morning, and then I took a midday walk to do a couple of errands and to pick up my vehicle. Hoping the temperature cools overnight so I can get in a walk in the morning before spending the day in a meeting.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum