Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 21 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Narrowminded on Fri May 25, 2018 11:47 pm

Praying no fires or careless behavior around your parts this weekend.

Hope you can enjoy.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat May 26, 2018 7:06 am

Maintaining sanity in the face of the occasional vendor idiocy is not a trivial thing. And those two atta-girls you got from happy clients are big. Take more credit!
Glad your knee is about back to normal, and hopefully T's knee will shape up also. Better weather is also on the wish list.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu May 31, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks, Rig. Yep, the days when I make someone happy are always a bonus.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu May 31, 2018 4:41 pm

Been reading, but mostly not commenting and obviously, nothing posted here.

Mostly all is good. My back remains a tad twingy - disappointing, particularly as I notice it when walking. Usually walking is guaranteed to be good, versus time at desk. Did a workout Tuesday that usually fixes me up for a few days but it didn't. Might schedule an acupuncture appointment next week, meanwhile, doing exercises that have worked in the past.

We got on the mountain bikes last weekend -first time is always shaky, and it was! Went again this morning and felt much better. Keeping it short, testing out to see if T's knee likes bicycling better than walking. Sure hope so.

Best part of the weekend was getting the monkey bars back to a usable state. Still have some finish work to do, but they are usable again. Yippee!!!! Might have to figure out a way to post a video...

Postponed climbing date on Tuesday because we were outside climbing on Monday and were sore. Was to have been Wednesday, but T got another shot in the knee and was advised not to do too much. New date will be Friday. Meanwhile, daily midday walks.

Did a little trampoline this morning just for grins.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu May 31, 2018 4:58 pm

M2M I’m hoping that back finally finds its way whole. I really don’t like when mine acts up.

Can’t wait to see the monkey bars. So much fun.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu May 31, 2018 10:51 pm

If T hasn't lost flexibility in his knee, he should do well with the bikes.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:40 am

Surely hoping you both get back to your normal soon. I know this is difficult for the both of you considering how active you are. Hang tough dear one.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:59 pm

Rescheduled climbing date (3rd time was the ticket) was really fun. We mostly had the place to ourselves.  Did a few leads, although nothing too difficult since it had been a while. Worked some hard top ropes, endurance wasn't as good as previously. Good walk there and back.
Pic from trampoline the other day:

Tricks weren't going very well (out of practice) so T said just jump as high as possible. Knee brace was overkill, but I wasn't going to risk it!

We are supposed to have the warmest temps of the year to date this weekend, we'll be digging out our fans I think. If nothing else I like the "white noise" the fan offers.

We've been feeding a cat. I first spied it last fall I think, some distance from the house. People occasionally abandon them which just makes me so angry.  One of our best cats ever was dropped as a kitten, she survived the winter and then came to us in the spring when she went into heat - we had 2 cats and she was hopeful (not to be, all female). It took a while to get everyone to get along, but it worked. At least 3 other cats haven't worked - too wild or harmed our pets and we captured them and took them to the humane society. I'm hopeful about this one although it is terribly shy. It takes time to win their confidence. I just can't ignore the fact that the cat is out there, so we either make it part of the family, or we capture it and take it in, living wild in our area is not OK with me/us.

OK, this video might work.  This was Memorial day weekend. We still have work to do, but finally, we could actually use the monkey bars again.  First lap was a bit nervous!
https://movingthrough50.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-monkey-bars-project.html
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:21 pm

Great vid! You are so strong! I’m seriously envious, I wonder if my hand will ever be that strong again after this fracture. Something to aspire to. There are adult monkey bars in the park near here, wish I had found them before my accident.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:57 pm

Love the monkey bars! Love watching you do the, as well. Thank you for sharing.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:11 am

Nice pic! Can't watch the vid... format not supported. Sad I'm envious though. lol

Good luck with the cat. Hope things work out with gaining its trust and with the 'fat boy'.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:43 am

I'm with you on the knee brace. Bouncing that high on a depleted knee could really mess you up if you landed wrong. You have some strong arms, that is an impressive video out and back, going strong.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:54 am

Wow, look at those abs!!!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:19 pm

I agree, WOW!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:36 pm

what fun!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:55 pm

The Walrus wrote:Great vid!  You are so strong!  I’m seriously envious, I wonder if my hand will ever be that strong again after this fracture.  Something to aspire to.  There are adult monkey bars in the park near here, wish I had found them before my accident.

Do your PT! In May 2014 I got in the middle of a cat fight, was bit, and ended up in the hospital for surgery and IV antibiotics because of the resulting infection. My hand was a mess for the rest of the year - numb from nerve damage, swollen, and it hurt most of the time. In all the hiking pictures from that summer, including the October R2R2R and the New Years ATY my right hand is bandaged, or at least my right thumb is. To this day my thumb is partially numb and doesn't bend as much as the uninjured hand. When one hand is mostly out of commission, a lot of training goes by the wayside as so much upper body work relies on both hands/arms. I did the PT and did what I could, increasing as I could. I remember being super frustrated in the spring of 2015 at how stinkin' weak I felt, but I just kept working at it. The thumb is still damaged, but overall, I'm stronger now than I was before the accident.

You can come back from this accident!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad that the video worked - well except for LB. I probably need to do some GRP thing...

I carry all my body weight down low so maintaining abs is pretty easy for me unless I go bonkers with carbs, but thank you!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Good weekend, if toasty. Had to get the fan out Sunday evening as the house was too warm to sleep comfortably. Happily, because we are at elevation (7300 feet/2225 meters), the temperature always drops at night, so drawing in some outside air fixed us up quickly.

We are still doing little bike rides, each is getting a bit faster and less scary as our skills come back. Loose gravel still feels terrible, and Sunday we got onto some rough terrain with rocks the size of baby heads - that technique was buried fairly deep, but I survived a short quarter mile section going downhill. I didn't try very hard when we turned around, just popped off the bike and walked when T did. I put new hand grips on and was much happier because my hands didn't go so numb.

Very happy to have the monkey bars available for whenever I wander by - got in several passes.

Hauled water on Friday and was watering as I was transferring to storage. I marked several pots and beds off the water list, giving up on those plants coming back. Maybe I should have done more supplemental watering over the super dry winter, but I didn't, so, nothing to be gained from regrets now. If we actually get a rainy season this summer I might put in a flower or 2 just for a spot of "pretty", but definitely not going to bother with any perennials at this point.

Long, rambling conversation with mom this morning. She is getting spacey... darn!

DVD workout first thing, good 3.3 mile midday walk to do an some errands.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:53 pm

Reading/listening to a book I'd recommend highly - The Upside of Stress: Why Stress Is Good for You, and How to Get Good at It by Kelly McGonigal.

After being told forever how deadly stress is and how we must learn to manage it for our own health and well-being, new research is pointing out how not helpful this approach is. Instead, we are better off learning to embrace stress, to make the mindset change that turns stress into something we can use to our benefit. It can work with fear and anxiety as well with the right mindset, changing something that triggers anxiety or a traumatic response into a challenge response.

It was also interesting to consider that the things that stress us tend to be those things that are meaningful to us (family, job, kids). If we can change our mindset around our stress to use it to our advantage, then we can better utilize our bodies natural response (hormones, increased heart rate and respiration, etc.) to accomplish tasks that are meaningful.

Her TED talk is good: https://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgonigal_how_to_make_stress_your_friend

I really liked her book on Willpower as well.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Climbing gym date! Nice walk there, and a really good time with T at the gym. I don't usually set goals for these gym dates, it is much more about playing, spending time with my guy while I'm actually awake, and challenging myself a little. At the moment, there are 2 lead climbs that I find quite challenging, both are quite overhanging as well. I've done one or the other in recent sessions, but not both. I set a goal to do both and accomplished it. Very pleased with myself about that. It feels good to feel strong.

Lots of summer flowers popping out on campus, so a treat to walk around.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Those books sound quite interesting. I’ll have to check them out.

Congrats on meeting your climbing goal today. I know the rest of the day was bright after that.

Lovely flowers
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:48 am

Stress: Learning to manage stress is a key ingredient to health imo. I've read many articles that you need stress in your life to keep you sharp. The key is not to let it consume you and eat your day fretting about what may happen.
I've always liked the idea that in 50 years, nobody, even you, will remember there was an issue to begin with, and if they do, won't remember any details. In most cases, that might well be 1 year.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Rig D wrote:Stress: Learning to manage stress is a key ingredient to health imo. I've read many articles that you need stress in your life to keep you sharp. The key is not to let it consume you and eat your day fretting about what may happen.
I've always liked the idea that in 50 years, nobody, even you, will remember there was an issue to begin with, and if they do, won't remember any details. In most cases, that might well be 1 year.

So true.  We all have stress, and we do need it. It is just that being told over and over that stress is bad for you, will damage your health, and to try and reduce stress - particularly when one is in a bad situation, is not good advice. It creates a vicious circle that spirals downward and will in fact damage health.  If instead, one can change how we approach stress, see it as a resource, get away from the notion that it hurts our health, and instead channel it as a resource, then it stops being so harmful.  We can use those hormones, the increased heart rate and respiration, and the other responses as resources to handle a situation. There can also be an important social component if we reach out for support, or make some time in our day to give back in some way.  

I am definitely giving what I'm hearing a lot of thought figuring every little thing that contributes to help is worth considering. Like so much in life, what matters more is how we react to the situation, not the situation.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:43 pm

Meant2Move wrote:Like so much in life, what matters more is how we react to the situation, not the situation.

This! This is how I have to deal with what I deal with day in and day out. It’s not the situation. That does play a part, but it’s more about how I react to it.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:21 am

Meant2Move wrote:Like so much in life, what matters more is how we react to the situation, not the situation.

Definitely!

Talk about timing... this popped up in my e-mail yesterday:

"First, let’s talk about what stress really is. There are 2 main types of stress:

Eustress-this is the beneficial stress we are able to adapt and make us stronger. This is the proper workout, the proper diet, the self-talk to get the courage to talk to the pretty girl or try something new. The spike in cortisol in the morning that wakes you up and gets you out of bed.

Distress-This is when your bodies are physically breaking down and can’t maintain the force being put on our bodies. This can lead to things like insulin resistance, suppressed immune function, increased inflammation or long enough even death.

Hans Selye developed the General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS) model for stress. Any organism which is subjected to a stress by a physical, chemical, temperature, emotional will go through a predictable process or even burnout. He was the first person to show how stress can affect your overall health positively or negatively.

The big problem the body just knows that it is stress, it can’t tell if the stress if from a disc injury, a bad shoulder, a crappy diet, lack of sleep etc.. Think of it as a beaker. You keep putting all these things in the beaker and filling it up, bad diet, too much exercise, kids, money, job, etc.. eventually the beaker is going to overflow."

https://healthgeeks.co/

Hans Selye wrote:Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one.

As much as we thirst for approval we dread condemnation.

Man should not try to avoid stress any more than he would shun food, love or exercise.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next