Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Narrowminded on Sat May 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Hope you get to work on house plans a bit this weekend. However more prayers for the winds to settle and rain to come. How I wish I could send some. We had some torrential downpours this afternoon/evening.

Glad the business trip was a round trip quick one. That was nice.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Weekend was good, although I seem to have picked up a cold virus somewhere in my travels. I'm surprised, I generally have excellent immunity. Had a headache off and on which I was blaming on the wind, then the sore throat showed up and today have added sniffles to the mix. I have to admit I used it as an excuse to get out of a scheduled call that I didn't want to do. I just did the work and told the person what was done and why via email along with next steps.

As expected, some wildfires started on Friday - one jumped to over 5000 acres in no time and 2 homes burned along with other structures. Fires down south as well. A lot of people in this community are suggesting that the USFS close the forests until we get appreciable moisture. That puts an economic hardship on the town, but might be a good idea as people can be so careless, and so many have the attitude that rules don't apply to them. It is weird for us when the forests are closed as we live there and are so used to walking out the door to play, yet technically, we shouldn't...

I hauled water so spent some time watering the few plants I think are trying to live - the asparagus went straight to seed along with the rhubarb. Horse radish which is usually more weedlike than anything seems not to have made it through the winter. I'm not too fussed about that. Strawberries and raspberries are iffy at this point - trying to show up, but...

We worked more on the monkey bars - seems with each bit of progress we think of something else we could do to "improve" them, delaying the whole project. Still, there is hope, I think. We took a little walk at sunset, far more in the "stroll" category than our typical hike or powerwalk. It was nice and I certainly didn't mind as I was feeling the pesky cold symptoms by then. T was not pleased with my news. Neither was I come to that - my things to do this week didn't include feeling wimpy.

I was very pleased to make good progress on the house plans. I usually get hung up on some detail and this time I didn't, and the overall plan is good, with many of the features I really want in my new home. Next up, we need to see if we can translate the interior to the exterior - definitely more of a T project than a me project! At least I hope so!

Took some little walks today and throughout the day, so for not formally exercising, I'm actually fairly close to 10k steps. Thinking I'll postpone tomorrow's climbing gym date to Thursday - see how I feel in the morning I guess. I was already going to out in the afternoon as T is having a wisdom tooth pulled and I need to be his medical transport as he is taking a valium prior to the appointment.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Sad to hear about the fires. That sounds so scary for you and your abode.

I hope you will have a quick recovery from that cold! Summer colds are worse, IMHO.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon May 14, 2018 11:12 pm

Wisdom teeth...grrrr...hope it goes well for him (and you.)
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Hoping you both are feeling a bit better. Take a few days to relax and heal.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed May 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Stayed home on Tuesday as I really didn't feel well and I just couldn't get my nose to stop running. I was feeling decidedly, um, germy, and didn't want to risk sharing.

Rested until it was time to go to town. The extraction went pretty well, although it took a couple of rounds for the shots to kick in and his mouth to go numb. Stopped and bought ice cream (non-dairy for T) on the way home as it is a family tradition to have ice cream after nasty dentistry. I am not sure he ever felt good enough to actually have any last night. The bleeding continued and he was fairly nauseated as a result. I went back to bed shortly after we got home so missed out on his gauze pad and blood drama.

Working today (warned everyone to stay away from my office) as I am less "drippy". Took a walk on campus which was lovely, but was pretty well beat after just 2 miles. Good grief! I am eating my veggies in hopes of recharging, but will likely still leave early.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed May 16, 2018 8:25 pm

I hope tomorrow finds you even better. So sorry you’re ill

I hope T is healing too

Take time to rest and heal
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Sun May 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Ooof, poor guy. Hope he feels well enough to enjoy that ice cream soon. And I hope you're feeling better too!

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon May 21, 2018 4:04 am

Hope both of you are feeling better by now. Not good to both feel lousy at the same time...
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon May 21, 2018 2:13 pm

sending healing thoughts............
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon May 21, 2018 6:47 pm

Grrrrrr.....heal....heal....
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon May 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks all!  Finally better.  Was sick (at home) Thursday and Friday, running a fever and waaaay unhappy. Crisis at work meant several hazy phone calls where I warned the manager in charge not to count on my brain or advice! T's socket finally clotted by Wednesday evening but he was really worried about a "dry socket" until it happened.  Liquid diet for him for several days. It was a relief on Saturday (after a nap) to decide we both felt better, and we got some stuff done.  

Oh, the power of nature!  I did little supplemental watering over this gastly winter just passed and I do not expect most of the perennials to make it. I've a couple of green things here and there, but mostly our world is brown. (USFS is closing a good bit of the forest on Wednesday - very, very happy and relieved about that!). Anyway, I so pleased to spy this iris in the corner of a raised bed!

We took a little walk around the neighborhood in the evening - actually cleared 10k steps for the first time in ages.

Sunday after a lazy start to the day I went with T to a nearby canyon that he has been exploring as a climbing area. The hike in left me weak and shaky, but I perked up after a rest in the shade and a snack. We had a good time playing on top rope doing different variations. It was almost to much, but it felt sooo good to be doing.

Aftermath of the crisis has made today a bit harsh, but mostly we dodged a bullet.  Of course with hindsight, we are making some changes to procedures.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue May 22, 2018 6:30 am

Anyway, I so pleased to spy this iris in the corner of a raised bed!

Such a nice surprise! And a very pretty one too. Great colour! Smile

Dammit woman, can't you give us mere mortals a break and take a time out instead of going at it right away again. Laughing Awesome & inspirational as usual, even when a bit foolish so soon afterwards, but understandable for you and T.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 am

+1 on LB’s comment

You two are definitely energizer bunnies. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue May 22, 2018 9:47 am

I'll stay on the ground and watch you go up that vertical rock face. Glad you both are feeling better.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue May 22, 2018 3:27 pm

The scenery near where you live is beautiful. I would love to see rock faces on a daily basis. Very nice landscape.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Nope, once I can move I must move, anything else makes me crazy or depressed. Thank you for the good wishes, LB, NM, and Rig.

It is lovely here, Ontario. Pine forest in a semi-arid region. With climate change, we are going to see far less ponderosa pine and more pinyon/juniper. In the 27 years we've owned our property, we've seen the change in volunteer trees - rare now to have a ponderosa sprout, but lots of juniper. Pinyon are a bit less common as they are very susceptible to bark beetles and other predatory insects. And lots of interesting geology here on the Colorado Plateau. This is a volcanic field so lots of rock, hills and mountains, and of course the Grand Canyon is only 75 miles away.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Got out for a nice walk yesterday afternoon after the craziness of the day (the IT aftermath) let up. I made my way to REI to try on some pants I had seen on sale online. Pants are always very iffy for me, shorts too aside from running shorts. Rare to find pants where the waist doesn't gap several inches if the hips/bum fit. I had hopes for these, but no.

Today we resumed our weekly climbing gym dates. Walked to the gym - so many wonderful summer flowers! The grounds crews have been filling in the planters on campus, and now the landscaping plantings of flowers are starting to bloom. Such a treat to walk around - makes up for all the construction detours!

My head is still that little bit muzzy - hints of dizzy, hints of sinus whatever - pressure/congestion? Anyway, decided not to do any lead climbing, so enjoyed playing on a lot of new routes and trying harder routes instead. Nice walk back to the office afterwards.

One more meeting tomorrow, will be curious if the engineer who caused the failure actually takes any ownership.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed May 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Lovely morning walk with T. More movement and connecting than exercise.

Very enjoyable midday walk to Whole Foods to replenish the beets supply, get guac, and to buy some cooked chicken. I didn't cook enough meat last weekend and what we had in the freezer didn't last.

More IT crap... on the other hand, got some good news from a software vendor, and finally a tiny bit of movement in this grand bureaucracy on at least one of my outstanding issues. So, overall, calling it a good day.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed May 23, 2018 10:07 pm

Sounds like some nice movement today.

Happy to hear the IT issues. May be resolving to a point.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu May 24, 2018 8:11 am

M2M, I don't remember, are you in IT or in a user community? I'm a retired (?retard) IT type, manufacturing background (production planning and financial) , and one of my un-fond remembrences was one of our key users in one of our plants who would do a brain-fart routinely over the weekends and forget her password. But at least she didn't write it down on a sticky note and put it on her monitor.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu May 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Rig, I'm the director of an organization that provides IT for K-12 education. We are based at, and a department of, a university, but everything we do is outward facing. The university acts as our fiscal agent and we are university employees, but we generate all of our own funds plus a hefty overhead fee (paid to the university) based on our services, so we operate much like a business (non-profit). We offer network support (infrastructure/server/desktop), software support (2 products) and application hosting.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 pm

T had plans to climb with a friend and needed to leave early, so I was quick in the kitchen and then headed out for a longer hike (4.6 miles). Longer in the sense that it is longer than he can currently do given his grumpy knee. And actually, it was going to be the longest thing I've done recently since my own knee troubles (almost completely gone!).

Briefly considered taking my iPod, but glad I decided against it. I love being out on my own and when in the forest, prefer not to have something, music or book, playing. I do listen to something on my midday walks or when in an urban environment. But at home, I like nature. I only considered it this morning for fear that my brain would be on some sort of icky loop related to current personnel issues. Happily, that was not the case, nature won out!

Limited wildlife spotting - mostly birds, rabbits, and squirrels. A local spring lily is starting to bloom - a treat as so far very little is greening up and showing signs of life. I guess that is a benefit of a pine forest, it is always green. Lots and lots of ground dwelling spider webs this year, they really glint in the morning sunshine.

I pushed moderately hard, max HR 161 and avg of 124. It's an out and back so climbs 460 feet and back down - hard to keep the HR high on the down without running, and I'm not ready to run yet. My knee is not quite that good. I really need to continue with the gym leg weights...

Had an unexpected employee meeting (manager issue) and an expected employee meeting (the IT issue and related fallout). Happily, slipped in a walk on campus in between to maintain good perspective and helpful disposition. Hopefully we can improve the situation in all cases.

Really enjoying an audiobook that I didn't fully expect to... The Nothing Girl by Jodi Taylor.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu May 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Sound like an awesome hike this morning. Glad you got to go.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri May 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks, NM.

I'm savoring time spent out in the forest as I suspect that the current closures will be extended significantly within a couple of weeks. I think the forest service, county and city agreed to keep some of the forests open until after the holiday weekend. Already on my drive in and out, I'm seeing lots and lots of campers. As long as no one tries to have a camp fire, all is well, but I've got the USFS dispatch number in my phone and will absolutely blow the whistle on anyone doing anything that causes a spark.

Nice midday walk on campus, then a little shopping before coming back to the office. Not sure I accomplished a dang thing today aside from helping an employee with a personal health matter, and keeping another employee sane as he dealt with a stupid vendor issue. Oh and I made 2 clients happy with little things. Some days that is as good as it gets!

Hideous wind and red flag warnings forecast for Saturday. Ick. Nicer weather due on Sunday and Monday. Hopefully we'll make more good progress on the monkey bars, and I expect T will push to go rock climbing one of the days. Hauling water again.

I've been weirdly sniffly/sneezy/congested today. Not again! Maybe just allergies. I saw an article that said climate change is making allergies worse in the SW. I guess so...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next