Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 19 of 31 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25 ... 31  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by perennialpam on Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:44 am

Gosh, hope that back of yours calms down soon. Your description of needing a chamber pot had me realizing that your back was worse than you let on this entire time.

Glad you are able to get in some walking. That seems to help my back when it gets sore from overuse but I have never really had a big back issue.

My massage therapist helped me once when I ended up with a pain down my leg. The exercise she gave me relieved it fairly quickly. I was so lucky and now know what to do if that occurs again.

Hope you find some relief soon as your sitting on your fanny at work is detrimental.

Take care M2M.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Thank you, Pam.

I am going to try the climbing gym date. I have a little baggie of potentially useful drugs to take with me should something go awry. Eek!

Just started listening to a book called Undoctored. I anticipate it will have a lot of information that I'm already aware of, but it never hurts to review, there will surely be some new nuggets, and anything that keeps a body away from the doctor's office/prescription drugs and those chronic diseases is a good thing. My eating has not been as good as it should be of late so I am hopeful this will be the nudge I need. I'm all for acute care, but tend to agree with the author's premise that very little "health care/advice" comes out of most medical office visits where the tendency is to prescribe a drug rather than suggest a lifestyle intervention.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:49 pm

The wife of a FB friend posted a heartfelt goodbye to her dog; she had to euthanize it over the weekend. It brought me to tears, and made me sad that at the moment I don't have a pet that I have an intense relationship with. The fat boy is really attached to T, I'm just a reasonable substitute. I miss having that, but realize adding another kitty to our lives at the moment is not an option. One more reason to get those stupid house plans done!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks for the bee info and how T is able to get them and use them for his therapy. He’s much stronger than I am I’m afraid.

Hoping your back allowed you to climb a bit without becoming worse or getting you stuck.

So sorry about the friend with the dog. Our furbabies are so hard to lose. Maybe soon you’ll get that house done.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:49 pm

The midday climbing excursion went well. I was pretty cautious and felt only minor twinges. The way temps are heating up in the west, it may already be too hot to consider rescheduling our Red Rocks trip.

Stopped on my walk back to peruse the 2 nearby craft stores to see if I could come up with anything to put in the bird baths to aid the drowning bee problem... we've tried some fabric draped across the bowls, thinking the bees could climb up the fabric rather than the more slippery sides but I noticed this morning that the fabric had 3 dead bees - I think they got that far but either got tangled in the fabric or were just too far gone to get away and then froze overnight. Tried a different scheme today, guess I'll see in the morning how that worked. I don't have much confidence in the 2 items I picked up at the shop working but maybe...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:02 am

My heart still aches for my first GDog. Colt was a great dog. He'd spy on me. He ran down the hill and jumped in my car because he thought I was going somewhere. That occurred while I was washing inside/out of my vehicle once. Still makes me smile.

Glad you were able to climb.

Too bad about the drownings...
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:05 pm

My attempt at bee rescue yesterday failed miserably based on the carcass count. New scheme in place today.

Still undecided and rather wary about trying to go to Red Rocks. I think not, too risky. By the time I got home last night, I was very uncomfortable.

Today took a very nice walk to Whole Foods midday to pick up meat to cook on the weekend. Had to laugh at the guy ahead of me in the butcher area, he said he had been living on backpacking food for 2 months and he was pretty much going bonkers with buying fresh meat and some seafood. I could appreciate that, although usually when I've been backpacking what I really want is fat.

Anyway, the walk went well although I am still a bit slow, but that 3+ miles seems to be an upper limit for comfort. Ready to be done with this! Have been doing gentle exercises in ernest.

The skies would seem to promise rain although I gather the actual likelihood is low. Darn, gimme a deluge please!!! Really glad fire restrictions have gone into effect today.

Lots of radish in my salad today, makes me happy!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:50 am

Sorry your trip to Red Rocks is not going to happen any time soon. Sad

Is it possible to add an adequate amount of pebbles/marbles to the bird bath? Or a (floating) bee preserver http://gardenmentors.com/garden-help/wildlife-2/bee-preservers-garden-art-benefits-bee-preservation/ ?

Have you and T tried a rain dance ritual? Laughing
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Glad to hear your back is on a slow mend. It’s so hard with the back as it affects so many things. Prayers it continues to feel better each day and peace and strength to endure how ever long it takes.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri May 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Found my way back! Wow, didn't realize it had been 2 weeks. Just really busy and had some work travel and the prep that goes with it. Lots of meetings too - waaaaay too many meetings. Gah!

Thanks, LB for the bee saver idea. I've been thinking about how I might adapt that to my rather small bird baths.

My back is mostly mended - minor tweak here and there and of course, I'm still doing rehab/rebuild exercises, but I'm pretty much back to regular activities and sadly, am finding that between the back thing and the knee injury at the end of January I've lost a lot of ground. Given that T is still in the grips of his knee issues and also having some hip pain, I don't anticipate a big jump in morning hikes right away - rather a drag and I would love that but... He is doing therapies to improve what he can. Meanwhile, this may be a rock climbing focused summer rather than a hiking focused summer. Hmm, maybe he can bicycle? We'll have to look into that! The last time we planned a rock climbing focused summer the cat bit me and I ended up in the hospital on IV antibiotics and having had surgery to clear the infection. There was no climbing for me that summer or the next year.

We got rained and snowed on this week - rather a treat! Best of all, despite the cold, it wasn't a hard freeze so all the lovely flowering trees and shrubs that are putting on a truly spectacular display are still looking and smelling wonderful. I got out for a WF walk today. Bright sunshine and we are warming up nicely.

Thinking I'll work on the posthole tomorrow to continue on the Monkey Bars fix. I detest the post hole digger, but I really want my monkey bars back, they've been out of commission far too long. Once the hole is done, we can pop the railroad tie into place, do the cement around the post, attach the oak upper, and be back in monkey business. So, it will be a couple of weekends yet before this project is done.

Probably rock climbing on Sunday, a friend might join us.

I have a board meeting next week that I am not at all prepared for, nor am I looking forward to the 10 hours in a car to get there and back. And we just took on a big, short-term support client that is relying heavily on me for support. Hoping they don't decide to stay next fiscal year.

On a positive note, my mom has agreed to give collagen a try. I sent her a canister of Great Lakes green stuff and suggested she put it in her coffee. She is a carbaholic and rarely eats any protein. I'm trying to convince her to give her body a little bit of something to work with.

And with that, I'm off to do some errands and then go home and have a weekend! Hope yours is excellent!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun May 06, 2018 10:10 am

Happy to have you back. Also happy to hear the injuries are mostly healed and you can resume some business as usual as far as your play/activity is concerned.

Sorry to hear T is still having issue that prevent hiking for now. Can you do some of the smaller ones yourself, like the snow cone etc? Hope I got that right.

Praying your mom uses the collagen. At least it would be something, you are right about that. I wonder why it’s so difficult for older people to do protein, just when they really need it so much. My Mom struggles with that as well.

Here’s hoping you can monkey around in the not to far future this summer. What fun.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 pm

We are making good progress towards the monkey bars becoming functional again. I swear, I've no idea where Saturday went - a hike with the new pack (20lb weight vest stuck inside), and lots of cooking, but too much of that day was lost. Sunday we set off for a short hike and extended it to do a Shoe Hill Loop. Puttered about and then decided I better get my butt in gear and start digging the hole.

The thing was, the last post was put in with rocks in a "dry laid" sort of scheme, so no using the post hole digger, instead it was a hammer and pry bar to pop out those rocks. I didn't actually mind that much as I totally detest the post hole digger. Made excellent progress and soon the hole was deeper than I could reach to get loose dirt out of the bottom, so had to fashion a scoop. Then some tamping and we were ready to pop the railroad tie in. I'm balancing the thing on a board over the hole. T says, just lift it up a little and I'll pull the board out... Um, sure honey. So I squatted down, wrapped my arms around it, lifted, and when he pulled the board out, let the post drop! Whew - success is good!

We worked a little to make sure the post was straight and centered, then T cemented it into place on Monday. I was happy not to be part of that project, and the best part is that now we are really close to being able to use the monkey bars again!

Lovely walk on campus yesterday and again today. Graduation is this week and the kids are going away. I'll soon have the place to myself again (well, not really, but kind of) soon. I love it when the students are gone.

Did an intense morning workout on the Hill Sprint Hill. Pushed myself really hard and got my HR up above 170. I think I do actually believe that number (comes from my Garmin watch and I often consider the HR data to be junk). Ran down the hill, knee felt OK.

Met T midday at the climbing gym. We had a great session. Worked a hard route on lead. My fear of falling holds me back, but then, I'm not super interested in pushing myself on lead.

Food is fundamentally good, but I'm eating too many treats still.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed May 09, 2018 2:16 am

You rock!

Can't eat what you don't get into the house/work place... you can do this!
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed May 09, 2018 8:13 am

Yeah monkey bars are close.

Your hikes sound amazing. I so wish I had stuff enough close enough and the ability to get there to do hikes like that. So happy you get to enjoy all of that close to home.

Glad the knee felt ok on the run. That’s good improvement.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu May 10, 2018 12:53 am

Lovebird wrote:You rock!

Can't eat what you don't get into the house/work place... you can do this!

Yep! I do really well at home, no treats, but the office, that is where I fall down. Ever a work in progress!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu May 10, 2018 12:56 am

Narrowminded wrote:Yeah monkey bars are close.

Your hikes sound amazing.  I so wish I had stuff enough close enough and the ability to get there to do hikes like that.  So happy you get to enjoy all of that close to home.

Glad the knee felt ok on the run.  That’s good improvement.

Yes, I am super pleased about the knee.

You are in such a tough position, so tied to home and husband. While I wouldn't wish him to pass before time, I am sorry that our health care and social support system is so limited that you must be the primary care given with so little respite. You are strong and amazing, NM, and I hope that you will have adventures in the future.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu May 10, 2018 1:09 am

Slept really badly last night, a rarity for me. The house was too warm (a couple of days of near-record breaking heat for the time of year), but I also think it was related to my high intensity morning push. My brain wasn't going in loops or anything, just wasn't dropping off to sleep and couldn't stay asleep. Hoping tonight is better - and I should be in bed by now, not on a computer.

I was running a little late this morning, but decided to hike with T anyway. We went up the south side of the Snowcone so we could do a bit of scrambling on the volcanic boulders there. It was fun, just wish the scrambling and boulder hopping part was longer.

I'm in Yuma in a hotel tonight. We (traveling with an employee and a board member) walked to a restaurant for dinner - 100F, but in the desert that isn't nearly as awful as it sounds. Had blackened tilapia which was tasty and a huge pile of broccoli as none of the other sides sounded good. I've been trying to sort out a tech issue having to do with webinar software and a microphone. Hopefully all is well and it is just my phone audio that didn't work...

Meeting Thursday, then 5 hour drive home. Will try and get in a speed walk in the morning, but only if I wake early naturally.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 am

Hope you got some sleep. I can't sleep when I'm hot either.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu May 10, 2018 9:58 am

M2M - thank you. I am planning adventures in the future, whenever that may be.

Hopefully you had a better sleep last night. And that you were able to get that walk in before a day of meetings and long drive.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu May 10, 2018 10:17 am

Great news on the knee being better and that the two of you are active again and happy because of that.

Hope you'll get a better night's rest tonight and a safe trip home.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu May 10, 2018 11:52 am

+1 on the knee. As an "expert" on knee pain and its adverse effect on your overall wellbeing, I really am happy yours is coming around nicely.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu May 10, 2018 2:14 pm

wow! you get bonus points for taking a walk in 100+ temps. Heat and I just don't get along. But, AZ heat isn't what Oregon heat is. at 100 degrees here it feels like you're moving through a wall of jello. The heat and humidity are almost tangible. I'm good up to 80 - and then I suffer. I went to wedding in Phoenix in Nov. about 5 years ago - it was 110 but I managed just fine.

Glad you're knee is doing better.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu May 10, 2018 2:54 pm

We lived in Oklahoma for a few years and the summers were insanely hot and super dry, Like opening up your oven and sticking your head in it. It was dry enough that all the lawns developed cracks in the ground as the red clay dried out. That kind of heat is fairly easy to tolerate but I think you have to acclimatize to it before trying anything strenuous or you could easily get into trouble with the heat. I can remember going for a run after work with the thermometer reading 100+ and having no trouble at all. Of course, I grew up in the deep south where temps and humidity both in the 90's were very common, and that heat is indeed like walking through jello. I remember as a teenager in Tampa in August feeling like I could walk out the back door of our house, grab a handful of air, and squeezing out a glass of water.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri May 11, 2018 7:29 pm

Right, from now through October it is best to stay out of the rest of Arizona - note to self, do not go south! I really do not know how people can stand to live in the Phoenix metro area - too hot, too big. Not my thing. Yuma is even hotter, but at least not huge. And yes, the dry heat does help. It really isn't too awful without humidity until the temperature gets above about 105F. My 4 years in northern Alabama were enough of a lesson about heat and humidity such that I always knew I'd be moving back to the west.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri May 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Got in an OK walk Thursday morning from the hotel. I forgot my iPod and headphones so didn't enjoy listening to the traffic (rather busy road), but then popped into a manufactured home community for a loop. Lots of lawn ornaments... and it seems a number of the snowbirds headed for home without putting their Xmas decorations away.

Meeting went well (as much as I detest meetings it was nice to head one up and have more than one attendee say it was a "good" meeting). We jumped in the car and headed for home, arriving back at the office in good time. Ran some errands and got home before dark, a rarity! Between the morning walk and the parking lot excursions, I just barely cleared 10k for steps.

Today the wind is howling and the fire danger is scary high. Any spark could become a wildfire. Every fire crew is poised to jump on any little thing that is spotted or reported, because with these winds (gusts over 55 mph) they will quickly lose control.

Did a DVD workout in the morning to stay inside rather than brave the wind. Felt good, lots of pushups, some upper body weights, and a reasonable number of lunges and squats.

I ventured out this afternoon to take care of a couple of errands. It was nasty, but driving might have been worse as today is graduation day so town is mobbed with families and friends who have come up to see the students walk. Sadly, the day will be marred by a little bit of controversy. We had a student commit suicide over spring break who should have graduated. The family asked to have his name read and the university prez refused, saying they would award the posthumus degree to the family privately. I see both sides but given how much I detest our prez for a variety of other reasons (she is widely disliked), I'm coming down on the side of the family on this one.

Unless the wind lets up (not the forecast) I think I'll be looking for indoor projects this weekend. Should work on house design! Ear plugs and the white noise generator (crickets loop) to sleep.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 31 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25 ... 31  Next