Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:59 pm

Hoping for no wind and a good night's sleep.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:35 am

Hope you slept better last night and that you can hike today.

Yeah, that pesky treat situation. You got this!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Thank you for the good wishes, NM and Pedidoc. I do appreciate it.

Weekend was pretty good. Wind, and like pollen were up on Saturday. Felt crummy, but muddled through getting stuff done in hopes that Sunday would be as nice as forecast and we could get outside and play.

I was hesitant, but we headed out to the Overlook, and I am so glad we did. It was a beautiful day. Bright sunshine, blue skies, only light breezes. I got sunburned (despite lots of sunscreen application - seems like that spray on stuff doesn't work very well). I got stung by a wasp, really, really hurt! - hand is still quite swollen and a bit itchy today. My knees are scraped... All good. I climbed well and we had a good time. A friend popped out and visited with us for a bit, doing a couple of climbs.

Back in town we grabbed a shower and then had pizza. We'd both been craving it for ages so decided to do the deed and get it over with. I will probably be July (probably trip to Utah) before it happens again so not fussing about it, just enjoyed.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:28 pm

So, as mentioned above, I was stung by a wasp. It hurt a lot. I had to keep climbing. This morning, it didn't really hurt anymore, but my hand is quite swollen - I was stung on the middle knuckle of my ring finger and the swelling went up my finger towards my hand. The back of my hand is red, swollen, itchy, and my knuckles invisible.

I was probably whining about it just a bit - enough to put a crazy idea in T's head... given our drought situation, we've been putting water in the bird baths most of the winter as the birds are desperate. Now that our temperatures are warmer, the bees are making use of the bird baths. My sting gave T the idea to do a little research on bee sting therapy... I got back from my midday walk to learn he had grabbed a bee with tweezers and deliberately got it to sting him on his bad knee. Sait it really hurt for a few minutes, less but still painful for a few more, then not painful but quite red after about 10 minutes. Good grief! The things he gets up to sometimes...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Movement for the day - hike in the morning with T and the dreaded 20lb weight vest. It is not getting easier! 3.1 miles

Midday walk on campus, picked up a few items, was following a path I haven't been on before that had promise until it deadended. Hate that! Sidewalks should go somewhere! 2.7 miles.

Lots of budget work!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:12 am

Hmm, seems T has an unusual approach to doing his bee string research. I don't advocate his methodology. It is was his bad knee that he got stung, did the sting have any palliative effect on the knee? Just curious, dontcha know.

It sounds like you are quite sensitive to the stings, though. Your reaction to it seems unusually sever to me. but I don't have any good suggestions for alleviating the irritation.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:20 am

I’d definitely keep an eye on the hand. If it hits the wrist, get it checked. You don’t want a severe allergic reaction and different stinging critters put out different stuff, so a bee might not be an issue, but a wasp could be.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks, NM. This is my first wasp sting I think, I don't remember any from childhood. I used to get bee stings a lot and as a kid, they weren't a problem, but I started having more of a reaction in my 20's. Lots of swelling! I am more careful around bees now. Happily husband has no such issues with bees. He has crazy intense reactions to red bearded ants and to fleas though...

@Rig, T was a research engineer (chemical engineer Ph.D). Particularly when it comes to things medical, he does not rely upon the medical establishment to figure out what ails him as his experience in that regard has not been good. For all the big stuff, he has mostly figured it out on his own. His experience with this more recent knee injury was really poor as far as the medical appointment so he is doing a lot of research into the issue in hopes of figuring out a course of therapy that helps. My sting simply gave him an idea of an alternative treatment - he did a lot of reading before trying it and he was aware that he was not at all allergic. At the moment, he is thinking it may have offered some relief. He is trying to assess it logically/rationally and being aware of possible placebo/intervention effect. There is also a little consideration of the pain to relief benefit... he takes pain pretty well so I won't be surprised if he tries it again.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Climbing gym date! Had a lovely walk to the gym, lots of trees starting to flower. Good times climbing - did some hard routes successfully and 3 leads, then nice walk back to the office.

The most recent batch of guac is too stinkin' hot. It takes all the pleasure out of it. Should have skipped buying when there was none of the mild stuff in the store. Thinking I'll just buy plain and toss the rest of this batch. (I guess if this is the worst of my troubles, life is pretty good!).

Icing my hand in an attempt to reduce the swelling.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Sounds like a touch of cellulitis from the sting? Hope it’s better!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:36 pm

If the hand is warm, red, and the swelling has a demarcation line, you may want to see someone for antibiotics.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:44 pm

The Walrus wrote:Sounds like a touch of cellulitis from the sting?  Hope it’s better!

EEK!!! Your comment had me googling... I'll keep an eye out and I sure hope not!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Pedidoc wrote:If the hand is warm, red, and the swelling has a demarcation line, you may want to see someone for antibiotics.

Tell me more about demarcation line... warm and red yes... swelling is over the 3 outer knuckles and the tops of those 3 fingers (pinky, ring, middle), swelling extends over about 1/3 of the back on my hand.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:09 pm

There isn't any red outline or anything like that.

In semi-related news, spouse has decided that he does think the bee sting might have been helpful and is considering repeating the experiment "soon" and maybe on the other side or both sides. Sheesh...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Meant2Move wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:If the hand is warm, red, and the swelling has a demarcation line, you may want to see someone for antibiotics.

Tell me more about demarcation line...  warm and red yes... swelling is over the 3 outer knuckles and the tops of those 3 fingers (pinky, ring, middle), swelling extends over about 1/3 of the back on my hand.  

A clear line between red and normal skin color. Mark the line with a pen and if it swells outside of that line go see someone. You can google pictures, but they are pretty yucky if you are not used to that sort of stuff.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:07 pm

OK, thanks!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:01 am

DH’s experiment sounds interesting to say the least. Not sure that would be my choice way of pain management. Smile

Hoping you wake to the swelling have receded a bit.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:51 am

Gosh, just got caught up on the sting and "T's" research.

As far as your sting....why not get a subscription for that injection that deals with breathing problems due to stings? Especially since you live in the middle of no where. Feel foolish that I cannot remember the name of it.

Hope things are settling down in the sting area of your hand and that the budget woes for work are almost finalized.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:52 am

I'll be interested in hearing about T's further bee-sting knee pain treatments. As a fellow injuneer (by eddication at least, not by work experience), I applaud him on using his base knowledge to venture forth into unexplored territory. Who knows, he may be onto something big.

You didn't mix in any of the Carolina Reaper peppers in your quac, did you? https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/09/health/hot-pepper-carolina-reaper-rcvs-study/
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Nope, no Reaper peppers, at least as far as I know. I purchased the guac from Whole Foods. I think it is just an excess of jalapenos. I tossed it this morning in favor of plain.

Swelling in my hand didn't get any worse, might be a tiny bit better. I'll try icing again, it is just awkward as it is my left hand and I'm a lefty - need that hand for most things I do. No need for an epi pen, Pam. My reaction to stings is limited to swelling.

The wind is back, we are under a "fire weather watch" as well as red flag warnings (can't do anything outside that might cause a spark) for a couple of days. And I feel crappy again. Did the trees not get the message - there is no moisture to support life so give up on sex (pollen)? Just grumbling, mostly I am very grateful that mother nature does her best to find a way despite what we foolish humans try to do to this planet.

Did some deep breathing in the steam room this morning in an attempt to humidify, at least briefly. Would really like to walk midday but might just stay inside... meanwhile, back to my spreadsheets.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:27 pm

If it has been over 48 hours, alternating cool and warm might help as well as elevating it when you can.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks, Pedi!

Swelling is down some more, I almost have knuckles again.

Mostly stayed indoors yesterday, was cleaning out some filing cabinets so took many, many boxes of papers down stairs and outside to the recycle bin. Pretty good day for fitbit floors, steps, not so much.

Feeling pretty bad today despite allergy meds. Two different times this morning T commented on how bad I looked. Gee, thanks honey... He's right though. Taking care of a couple of things and then going to go home early, take some benadryl and enjoy the coma.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Hope you feel better after a nap. So sorry to hear you allergies are at it again. Happy about the swelling going down though.

We actually have a fire warning today and for the life of me I can’t figure out why. We’ve had so much moisture, I’m not sure anything is dry enough to catch.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:21 pm

Gotta love that honesty! Hope your allergies settle down soon. There's pollen on my car right now so mine should be flaring up any day now.

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Switched allergy meds to one with whatever the drug is that you must sign your life away for and promise not to make evil things... pseudoephedrine maybe? Anyway, that is working much better.

Spouse did more bee sting therapy on the weekend - he thinks it helps some and he doesn't have a bad reaction so... OK I guess.

We are heading for a little mini-vacation Wednesday through Saturday to Red Rocks, just a bit west of Las Vegas, NV. Camping, rock climbing. Should be fun and a bit of adventure. Spent much of the weekend making lists and prepping what we could in hopes of a quick getaway Wednesday morning. Had a bit of panic earlier when T got an iffy weather forecast that implied cold and rain... likely that forecast was for farther north than we will be. Pretty sure our weather will be fine, but it will be cold enough here that we will have to set up the propane heater for the fat boy.

Leg weights/knee rehab this morning. Cold and windy out today so much as I would have enjoyed a walk, I skipped it so as not to needlessly expose myself to that much more pollen.

A new book in my favorite series came out last week. I tried to make it last... I've been enjoying the discussion online very much and have just a bit of a book hangover. This was the 9th book in the series, I've never gone back and re-listened/re-read them all as some fans do. I'd like to sort of... but my to be read (or listened to) pile is huge already without sticking in a bunch of re-do's.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next