Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:48 pm

The Walrus wrote:Chiming in with unasked for advice on the funnel - it is simple to use but important to follow the directions/suggestions carefully.  Practice sessions are a must.  However, I was surprised at how easy and effective it is to use.  I use mine all of the time as the state of the public toilets on our walking route is highly variable.

Thank you! Had planned to give it a try on Saturday, but could barely tolerate outside, the wind was so fierce, then without having tried it, I declined to take it along on Sunday when we went climbing. Soon!!!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:50 pm

Lovebird wrote:I know you don't want to hear it Razz, but beetroot juice is supposed to be good for athletes. Then again, anything overdone is bad for you, and beets contain oxalates... known for causing gout/kidney stones etc.

Thanks for this, I will mention it to him, he has had some issues with gout in the past and I'd hate for his newfound love of beets to trigger something bad. Moderation is not a family trait...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Doing much better, as noted above, tried a new allergy med and it is helping tremendously. I was just surprised at the instant weight gain. Knowing what it is means I don't much care, but I feel for people who need to be on steroids for more serious health concerns.

Knee is doing better too. Did a workout Saturday morning that included lunges and squats - not full out (full depth of bend?), but much more than I've been comfortable doing for some time. Also, on Sunday hiking in and out of the canyon where we were climbing was not painful. Worst thing is still sleep. Progress!!!!

Homebody on Saturday and partially housebound as we had wind gusting well over 50 mph. The wind generator got a serious workout.

Sunday we met a friend and drove a couple of hours east to rock climb. It was just barely warm enough, and still windy, but if we stayed in the sun it was OK. We had a good time climbing and did fairly well. I led 2 routes, kinda rare for me to lead outside. Too bad I'm headless in this pic!

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:42 pm

Steroids can mask injury, so be careful of that knee still.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Love the pic.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:58 am

Rock Climbing Question:

In the picture above are you going up or backing down?

And, how does that piece of metal in the rock get there? Does it stay? Is it part of your responsibility as the Lead?

Sorry for all the questions.

Glad your knee seems better. Look at those leg muscles! Wow.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:40 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Steroids can mask injury, so be careful of that knee still.

Thank you for this good reminder. I do appreciate your willingness to share info!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:45 pm

Meant2Move wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:Steroids can mask injury, so be careful of that knee still.

Thank you for this good reminder. I do appreciate your willingness to share info!

You are more than welcome. I always have to think about it before I post as I do not want anyone getting upset.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 pm

perennialpam wrote:Rock Climbing Question:

In the picture above are you going up or backing down?  

And, how does that piece of metal in the rock get there?  Does it stay?  Is it part of your responsibility as the Lead?  

Sorry for all the questions.  

Glad your knee seems better.  Look at those leg muscles!  Wow.

Good questions, Pam!
OK, this is what is called a "sport climbing" area. Basically that means the area was developed for a particular style of climbing. Sport climbing generally means that instead of the leader putting in protection (gear that he/she carries and that goes into natural features of the rock such as a crack), the area developers drilled bolts into the rock with a hanger. The climber simply clips a sling with a carabiner at each end into the hanger and then runs the rope through the carabiner for protection during the ascent. The bolts are spaced out along the route. If done well, there is a bolt near particularly hard spots on the route (ideally just below the spot) so that the climber is well protected from falling a long distance. Then, at the top of the route, the area developer will put in at least 2 bolts and often an extra bit of hardware that the rope runs through so that the climber can be safely lowered back to the ground.

The leader will start from the ground and work his way up the route, clipping the bolts with slings and running the rope through the carabiner before moving up on the rock. It is the same principle as in the rock gym. There is a belayer on the ground letting the rope out as the leader climbs. Say the leader has clipped 3 bolts and is maybe 30 feet off the ground. He is heading to the next bolt, but falls before he reaches it. If the belayer is doing his job, the leader will fall twice the distance he was above the last bolt, plus a bit more due to rope stretch and some slack that is always in the rope. If the leader's waist (where the rope is tied to his harness) was 6 feet above the last bolt, he will fall 12 feet plus some more for slack and rope stretch, likely he will fall about 15 - 18 feet. More difficult routes may have more bolts put in closer together, but not necessarily.

The metal in the rock all stays. It can weather out, but that takes years, so not too much of a worry. Climbers keep an eye on the bolts and will replace one that is wearing.

I am climbing up in that picture, nearing the top. I was on top-rope, not leading, so if I fell, I would only drop a foot or 2 at most. This was a fairly difficult route and my belayer was keeping the rope fairly snug so I had no worries and could focus on making the moves.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:08 pm

I went from feeling pretty good Monday morning and enjoying the workout to feeling really dreadful by midday. Chills, headache, general malaise. Unfortunately I had something that had to be done so I just stayed at my desk and did the deed.  By the time I got home I just fed the cat and collapsed into bed.  T had already done so and the fat boy was very unhappy at having missed 2 feedings.  I got a talking to!

Woke with a headache this morning but felt less off. Had a dental appointment so had to go to town.  Felt better midday so went ahead and joined T at the rock gym for our weekly date.  He is now feeling it too - muzzy head, dizziness, some tummy troubles, general malaise. We are either both allergic to the same thing (entirely possible) or I picked something up and have now shared it with him.  We definitely reduced our intensity, but still had a good time together. No walk as I'm not pushing myself. Step and floor graphs on Fitbit are looking dismal this week.

Planning an early night!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:13 am

That sounds grotty, I hope whatever it is is short-lived.

Great climbing pic and info.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:32 am

Thank you for explaining about the rock climbing apparatus and theory.

Hope you feel better quickly.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:42 am

Hope you feel better quickly. Sounds like it may just be a bug you’ve picked up.

Thanks for the great explanation of your rock climbing. It really helps when hearing about what you’ve been doing.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 am

Yes, hope you feel better quickly.
Great explanation on rock climbing. One last one -- what kind of shoes do you wear, are they special for the sport or just a generic shoe?
The whole rock climbing thing is a unique cultural segment and quite foreign for me, other than noting that rock climbers seem to be consistently the premier contestants in American Ninja Warrior, where arm and grip strength are vital to success in the later stages.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:52 pm

Rig D wrote:Yes, hope you feel better quickly.
Great explanation on rock climbing. One last one -- what kind of shoes do you wear, are they special for the sport or just a generic shoe?
The whole rock climbing thing is a unique cultural segment and quite foreign for me, other than noting that rock climbers seem to be consistently the premier contestants in American Ninja Warrior, where arm and grip strength are vital to success in the later stages.

Definitely specialized shoes, and there are a crazy number of versions in terms of the shape of the shoe depending upon the speciality of the climber. I am a generalist and wear fairly basic shoes. The rubber is a bit sticky which aids in keeping one's foot on the rock. Some shoes have super pointy toes to go into little pockets, others are a bit stiff for edging on tiny ledges, some are super flexible.

Yep, I love that climbers have done so well on ANW! I started climbing when I first met T in 1984, but have never been super serious about it so I remain at a very average skill level.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks for the well wishes... I wish I knew if it was a bug or just allergies. T getting some of the same symptoms is odd so am currently leaning toward bug. At least that means it should go away.

Little workout this morning, some treadmill fast walking followed by leg weights and a few core exercises. If I feel well enough, I will walk to WF midday for guac.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:53 pm

Last few pics that might make that explanation to Pam easier:
These are the bolts that are put into the rock when a sport climbing area is developed.

At the top of the climb, anchors are put in place - also bolts but with an extra attachment or chains. Two are important as one should not rappel or lower off a single piece of equipment if at all possible. Avoid a single point of failure!  The rope would be run through the rings at the bottom of the chains in this case.

This is the sling/carabiner combo (called a quick draw) that the leader attaches to the bolt and then runs the rope through as protection as he/she ascends the climb.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:20 pm

^Good info. All in all, I think I'll continue to stay on the ground and watch you climbers do your thing. I have to admit to having a thing about heights.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Rig D wrote:^Good info.  All in all, I think I'll continue to stay on the ground and watch you climbers do your thing.  I have to admit to having a thing about heights.

I'm with you Rig.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:40 pm

Gotta love it when it takes 3 months before the pictures from a race get posted... Across the Years, the 24 hour event we did on December 29-30 finally popped up the pictures, and amazingly, I had a couple that were actually decent. Seems like I'm usually doing something weird with my mouth or worse...

I like that this shows my crazed overuse of technology... just call me gadget girl!  

I think it is a good thing there are no pictures at the end of the 24 hours... I'm pretty sure I wasn't so smiley after 74 miles!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:15 am

Dear Gadget Girl: You rock!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:15 am

+1
What?! You mean you didn't look like that at the end? I originally thought that smile was in celebration that it was finally over.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:15 am

You look great!!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Oh, I was happy it was over, and likely smiled, but after being up and moving for 24 hours I was undoubtedly a lot more haggard looking.

Thanks Pam, Rig, and Pedidoc!

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:36 pm

I may have overdone things in the weight room yesterday, or maybe it was the walking... knee is fairly grumpy today and was achy overnight.

Also the general malaise continues. Actually, had the thought this morning that if it is a bug, it should be over in another few days since I think I'm on day 8 or 9 - figuring it might last 10 days to 2 weeks, there could be an end in sight. I am definitely tired of feeling yucky.

Can't believe I forgot to buy spinach yesterday when I got guac. Built the veggie pile this morning without, but I will miss it. Ahh, first world problems...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next