Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Feb 28 2018, 17:22

Ha....yep, cats seem to just pick you, don't they? God bless a cat! And I love his "preferred state of being" post. I swear that one day I want to die and come back a cat. The only creatures that can be as indignant and rude but everyone still tries to so hard to please them.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 28 2018, 19:47

ONTARIO wrote:Ha....yep, cats seem to just pick you, don't they? God bless a cat! And I love his "preferred state of being" post. I swear that one day I want to die and come back a cat. The only creatures that can be as indignant and rude but everyone still tries to so hard to please them.

Yes this! So true.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 28 2018, 20:05

Snow overnight, a decent but not overwhelming amount. The sun is out now and I expect to go for a walk soon. Might try to do 2 shorter walks today.

Having an unexpected episode of TMJ pain. I've had a night guard for ages and that normally keeps it at bay. No idea what happened - I had the guard in place as usual last night. Maybe I was extra tense driving home on nasty roads last evening? Not sure, but I have a headache to go with it, hence the desire for a bit more movement. I so rarely get headaches, I find them very debilitating. I've no idea how people who get them frequently manage.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 28 2018, 22:12

How's the knee?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 01 2018, 01:25

Pedidoc wrote:How's the knee?

Oh, thanks for asking. I'd say only minor improvement so far. Hurts a little less at night and I do appreciate that. I've been good about doing the PT exercises, have really backed off longer distance walks, said no to skiing, taking extra Vit C... When the doc said a couple of weeks, I figured 2 months minimum because I'm 54 and a little slow to heal. It has been 4 weeks...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Mar 01 2018, 02:11

Fatboy is a beauty.  Regal kitty against the white.  :]

I know the frustration of knee issues (and ankle).  Hope it heals right for you.

Like the articles you posted. At my age, def need more recovery time when I do any sort of workout and often find, to my delight, that one week of rest finds me stronger than last week. I don't need to hit it so often to get progress. The Fast after 50 has a link on how to hit the hills that is very useful. I love/hate the hill on my block. It is fantastic for shifting my endurance and strength level up.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Mar 01 2018, 05:33

Ugh, TMJ. I’ve found staying away from chewy foods really does keep it at bay. Hopefully it’s feeling better now and tomorrow you will wake to find it gone
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Mar 01 2018, 06:32

Meant2Move wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:How's the knee?

Oh, thanks for asking. I'd say only minor improvement so far. Hurts a little less at night and I do appreciate that. I've been good about doing the PT exercises, have really backed off longer distance walks, said no to skiing, taking extra Vit C... When the doc said a couple of weeks, I figured 2 months minimum because I'm 54 and a little slow to heal. It has been 4 weeks...

Small improvements. Halfway there... and hurts less at night are definitely wins!!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 01 2018, 19:28

Heuristicfireflower wrote:Fatboy is a beauty.  Regal kitty against the white.  :]

I know the frustration of knee issues (and ankle).  Hope it heals right for you.

Like the articles you posted.  At my age, def need more recovery time when I do any sort of workout and often find, to my delight, that one week of rest finds me stronger than last week.  I don't need to hit it so often to get progress.  The Fast after 50 has a link on how to hit the hills that is very useful.  I love/hate the hill on my block.  It is fantastic for shifting my endurance and strength level up.

Thank you - I tell him he is beautiful all the time but outside compliments are always a treat!

I hope you are still on the mend!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 01 2018, 19:31

Narrowminded wrote:Ugh, TMJ. I’ve found staying away from chewy foods really does keep it at bay. Hopefully it’s feeling better now and tomorrow you will wake to find it gone

Yes, definitely am careful with certain foods. I've really no idea what triggered this flare-up, but happily, it has eased off, and I think I'll be back to normal in a day or 2. I didn't wake with it hurting as I did yesterday, but if I open my mouth wide, I can still feel it. Small bites!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 01 2018, 19:32

Pedidoc wrote:Small improvements. Halfway there... and hurts less at night are definitely wins!!

Yes! Thanks for the reminder to stay positive.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 01 2018, 19:39

The snow stopped mid-morning Wednesday and the sun came out, so I gave it a little time for the sidewalks to clear/be cleared, then went for a walk. I had a couple of errands to do and thought I might do those and return to the office, but realized that I was unlikely to get out a second time so extended into a longer walk. Glad I did - it was cold, but so nice to be moving.

I'm listening to Brain on Fire: my month of madness by Susannah Cahalan. She had a rare auto-immune disease that manifested with some very scary psychological (bipolar/psychosis) symptoms as well as seizures and eventually ended in a catatonic state. It is a well written and interesting story.

DVD workout this morning, upper body weights, then push-ups, pull-ups, planks, mt climbers, plank jacks. It is a lovely, if cold day. Might make my way (midday walk) downtown to look at heart rate monitor options for T, he wants a bluetooth HRM to replace his old Polar watch and strap.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Mar 01 2018, 22:11

I think your guru hits the nail on the head. This describes me perfectly:
"But in short, completing high-intensity workouts—like intervals, hills, and weight training—is absolutely critical.

This can be a challenge for a number of reasons, though. For starters, aging athletes tend to gravitate toward long, slow distance (LSD) workouts because LSD training is more comfortable and does not demand as much recovery time, which can seem great because it lets us fill our increasing leisure time with exercise. Additionally, high-intensity training comes with increased injury risk, so both the intensity and frequency of high-intensity workouts needs to be managed in a very structured manner, which can be a turn-off for some.

All of that said, the bottom line is that the human body adapts positively to well-managed training stress (not just LSD workouts) regardless of age. Age is not the limiting factor. The desire to perform at a high-level and make the necessary sacrifices to do so is."

Thanks for posting this, will mull on it.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Mar 02 2018, 18:41

I am so pleased you found the article useful/thought provoking, Annie.

I really latched onto the line "The desire to perform at a high-level and make the necessary sacrifices to do so is." I find myself being willing to be slower on the same trails, as is husband. Although, now and then, I find myself wanting to push hard and 'go for a record'. Unfortunately, we (spouse and I) seem not to find that mood on the same day and if he wants to hold back, I do it too so as to stay with him.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Mar 02 2018, 18:50

Had a very nice midday walk yesterday. After doing a little research, decided that I didn't have enough info to worry about heart rate monitors for T and so instead, did a longer walk on campus. Lovely day out - cold, bright sunshine, still some snow on the ground.

The cat was a demon last night, he is rarely this way, but several times was up and about, knocking things around and poking at us. Woke feeling very tired. T snuggled up and we both went back to sleep for about 90 minutes. No workout as a result, but well worth it! Today I'll do a WF walk to select meat to cook on the weekend. And for guac. I still like their guac the best.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Sat Mar 03 2018, 01:39

WF walk was very enjoyable. Ended up with thick cut pork chops, and since shrimp was on sale, got about 1.5 lbs. Seems the storm that was forecast for this weekend isn't going to do much in terms of moisture which is disappointing, just wind and cold. Rats.

No big plans for the weekend. We'll likely hike in the morning then spend the day on home stuff - chores, cooking, maybe taxes... if we stay true to form, might hit the climbing gym on Sunday.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Mar 03 2018, 22:12

Sounds like a very nice WF walk.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Mar 05 2018, 21:05

I was verging on wind driven psychosis with that last storm - so relentless! Not sleeping well at night, and it is exhausting to be outside in the wind. We got a few hours of snow blowing sideways but nothing stuck so overall, I am certain it was a massive net-loss in terms of moisture. It is going to be a very scary spring as we moving into wildfire season.

Saturday morning we hiked Shoe Hill Loop, then settled into a day of chores and cooking. The pork chops turned out so yummy, as did the yams.

Sunday we did a morning DVD to move a little before breakfast - too nasty outside to try and hike, then we headed to town first to the rock gym, then to the regular gym. We did double climbs again at the rock gym. We were mostly doing fairly easy routes, then I switched to a hard route, when I came down T asked if I was going to do a double? I hadn't been, but then decided to try it just to see if I could do it. Almost... I was pleased with myself for attempting it.

At the gym I just opted for moderate and steady on the treadmill, so 3% grade and 4.1 mph. I put my Garmin watch into workout mode, but when I checked the heartrate a few times, it was so low as to be ridiculous - 78 instead of the 139 the hand grips measured. Grr! I love gadgets but so dislike malfunctions. I stopped the program and deleted it as the garbage it was.

Anyway, had hoped there might be ANW reruns or perhaps a replay of the team event, but I couldn't find anything in the TV guide so opted for mindless YouTube videos. Walked for 90 minutes, almost 6 miles. Knee got a bit grumpy towards the end.

Those steps will have to do me as I will likely get in only a short walk midday, and I'm doing a boatload of laundry tonight so aside from steps to load/unload vehicle, washers, and dryers, there won't be a lot of activity.

Spouse is thinking of a trip to Ouray CO this weekend. I'm sort of hoping he will go on his own (meeting someone there), but he is thinking of complicated logistics that include me... I'd be happy to go, but could really enjoy a couple of "home alone" days too.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Mar 05 2018, 22:53

Hope you get what you want this weekend. Smile

Our weather patterns sure are a nuisance and not what we need or expect. It is soggy here. So bad that the vehicle tires dig in and leave a mess. Sad
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Mar 06 2018, 00:16

It’s been sunny, but cold here the past few days. I so need a warm up.

I hope you can get some needed moisture sooner than later. I’d gladly send you all we’ve gotten. Flooding, hill slides. Yuck.

I hope you get to stay home, relax and work on what needs doing.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Mar 06 2018, 19:21

We've sorted things and I am going, we'll leave Wednesday and return Saturday. The other guy sounds like a bit of a flake so I am hoping to provide some stability. I've wanted to try ice climbing for a number of years - well sort of. I'd like the experience, but to be honest, I don't expect to like it. If I try and it and don't like it, then at least I'm off the hook for the future. And if I do like it, well, that is one more activity we can do. Unfortunately, our communication is a little off at the moment which doesn't bode well for a road trip. Hopefully we can get that sorted.

I've also reminded him that my knee may not take to having a heavy boot, crampon, and kicking into an ice pillar. One advantage of having an extra person is someone can take pictures while one climbs and one belays.

Monster pile of laundry done last night accompanied by squalling children and a truly obnoxious kids game (tune) turned up very loud. Headphones did not cancel out the noise... when T called to ask about some trip details, I just about stuck my head in a dryer in order to hear what he was saying.

No climbing gym date today as I'll be off the rest of the week and must get a few things done with early deadlines. I also have a shopping list, so midday walk will be based on that, although I'll likely go the long way to reach a couple of stores. Or make 2 trips...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Mar 06 2018, 19:45

Take it easy on that knee.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Mar 07 2018, 21:41

Yes, do be careful of that knee. You don’t need to be up on the ice unable to move do to your knee giving out.

So sorry about the laundry fiasco.

Hopefully you got your shopping accomplished and things sorted with T
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Mar 07 2018, 22:09

I bet we are all worried about the ice and the knee! Although you are simply the photographer.

The only good thing about laundromats is that you get all your laundry done at once. In my case, I was always trying to hurry and would end up leaving something in a dryer. Not good.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Mar 12 2018, 21:47

I'm back, and the trip was a success. A lot of fun actually.  Turns out it was very good that I went as the other guy cancelled - sent T a note Wednesday afternoon late - we had long been on the road. If I hadn't been along, T would have been stuck.

Food was not particularly good on this trip, too many treats and generally not great quality. Oh well, we've both agreed to getting back on track this week. We usually listen to audiobooks while traveling. I had downloaded "The Better Brain Solution: How to Start Now--At Any Age--to Reverse and Prevent Insulin Resistance of the Brain, Sharpen Cognitive Function, and Avoid Memory Loss" by Dr. Steven Masley. Given the focus on keeping blood sugar under control to ward off "type 3 diabetes - dementia" our road food diet caused some cognitive dissonance. Nonetheless, it got us talking about some things to do better. T in particular needs to get on a more anti-inflammatory diet; he takes a scary amount of NSAIDS.

The fun stuff - I really enjoyed the ice climbing. We were in Ouray Colorado which has an ice climbing park.  It is a cooperative effort between the town of Ouray and a non-profit organization. The park brings a LOT of visitors into the town during the winter, so very much a win/win.  Sadly, the website doesn't have a photo gallery, but this feature story has some good photos: https://modernfarmer.com/2016/03/ice-farming-ouray-ice-park/

We dressed much as we would for downhill skiing - layers, and waterproof bottoms, gloves and spare gloves. The ice climbing extras were mountaineering boots, crampons, climbing helmets, climbing harness and belay gear, ice tools.  

First day, we went to an area called the Schoolroom - easy to moderate grades and a great place to learn. I must say, the first few whacks with the ice axe were unpleasant - ice chips to the face... T assured me I'd get used to it and suggested I try not to close my eyes so my aim would be better. Right...

As a long time rock climber, I've long been accustomed to having as much weight as possible on my feet so as to save arm and hand strength, and to the extent possible, that is the right strategy for ice climbing. But, it seemed a good bit harder to really have my weight on my feet - basically on my toes as I would kick the crampon at the front of my boot into the ice pillar and try to balance on my feet while I took another swing with the ice tools. While hiking, I've always been good at balancing on precarious ground while lightly hanging onto a bit of grass or a thin bush, so when my ice picks didn't dig in as much as I'd like, I soon became willing to try and move up on iffy sticks. It actually worked remarkably well, except when it didn't... I had a couple of total blowout falls where I came completely off the ice. Since I was on a toprope, there wasn't much of a consequence, and I hung onto the ice tools which is what matters most, nor did I poke myself with the crampons - spikes everywhere!

We did 5 routes the first day and declared ourselves to be toast at that point. Lots of sore muscles in my upper back, and arms/hands tired.  Knee did OK, belaying bugged it more than kicking into the ice did. We took a little walk around town, then had a nice long hot tub session.

On Friday we went to a different area of the park and first set the rope up on a rather challenging route.  Learned some new techniques and pushed myself. Later in the day we moved our rope to an easier climb, but took advantage of that to work on skills such as climbing with a single ice axe to really focus on footwork and balance.  

We did some hiking and exploring in the afternoon, and enjoyed another town walk which included a stop at a candy store for a square of divine fudge. We thought about getting up in the morning to get in a couple more climbs before driving home Saturday, but opted against it as we wanted to make a couple of stops along the way and didn't want to get home late.

Last edited by Meant2Move on Tue Mar 13 2018, 00:19; edited 1 time in total
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next