Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:05 am

Same here with Annieh's kitchen treats! Pork cracklings leads naturally to........tamales!  Gotta start getting the goodies together.  :]
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Awesomeness ongoing.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:24 am

the running shoes sound excellent, you will be sure to put them through their paces.

BTW what is your Fitbit target for daily steps?
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:41 am

Any chance of you sharing an update pic on those beautiful strong muscles of yours? Smile Yeah, I've been (re-)reading several journals at MDA... and realize that the forum problems have been existing far longer than I thought and that you're far more primal than you're aware of. Which only makes it more confusing as to why those entries vanished... but hey, we're here now. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:30 am

Lovebird, how did you find M2M's post so quickly? She really didn't give you much to go on - no key words or such. Just at home doing a clear out which turned out to be three years ago.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:43 am

Annieh wrote:Lovebird, how did you find M2M's post so quickly? She really didn't give you much to go on -  no key words or such.  Just at home doing a clear out which turned out to be three years ago.

Let's see... the search function at MDA sucks (pardon the expression), even Google wasn't helpful. I had some time to waste... so I checked on the started threads by M2M, which gave the date for the new tidy magic thread... and with that in mind I searched her journal for it. Had it not been in there, but in somebody else's it would not have worked. But it did. Like with your old journal. Ditto.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 pm

LOL Lovebird, I would have hoped to have a picture from the hike on Sunday, but it didn't happen. And I've yet to attempt a picture upload here... I kept getting hints of a sore throat last week and was chasing it off, but by Friday night I felt pretty bad and worse on Saturday so it became a very quiet weekend. With Across the Years not that far away (we start on the 29th) I don't want to get really sick so I'm backing waaaay off activity for a few days.

Annie, I leave my Fitbit goal at 10,000 steps. Most days I exceed that as generally average 12-14,000 steps a day depending upon the month. It doesn't take that much activity to reach 10k and yet it generally ensures that I get away from my desk and move a few times a day in addition to my morning workout (whatever that may be).

Yum HFF! Tomales! I love them but my one attempt at making them was dismal. I should look around and see if I can pick some up, I do adore green chile.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Hopeing you will feel better soon. Sending healing vibes your way.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:59 am

Yep, glad to hear you are taking care of yourself.

I had been feeling like I was coming down with something more than once lately and simply took it easy, drank lots of liquid and managed to still be standing.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:54 pm

Oww, hate colds. HATE them.  Hope you kick this ones booty quickly.
Do you find that going into and out of hot, cold environments brings them on?
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:54 pm

Thought I might be tricky and do some multi-quoting, but attempt #1 didn't go as expected, so I'll just say Thank you very much for the well wishes NM, HFF, and Pam.

HFF, I don't think it was the change from cold to hot and back again so much as exposure to various germs not long after spending 10 days in the Land of Dessert. Between bad air, some family stress, too much sugar, and plenty of folks in various states of health, I think I just wore down.

Anyway, I'm doing better. I tend not to have "wet" colds - no coughing, no dripping/running nose or sneezing, instead, just a sore throat some of the time, ear aches some of the time, chest tightness some of the time, and a wimpy sick exhausted feeling. T often thinks I'm not really sick because I show so little symptom aside from the fact that normally I am never wimpy. Quiet weekend and I only worked a couple of hours Monday before giving up and going away to rest. Got up Tuesday to go to work and after about an hour of getting myself going, decided not to do it and just went back to bed. We live an hour from town so once I go, it takes some doing to go, work, and come home. If the day is doomed, better not to start.

Feeling a good bit better today. Took a mellow walk on the treadmill this morning - too cold outside to even consider it, but then midday when we had glorious sunshine, I took another little walk on campus. Might hit 10k steps for the first time since Friday.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm

In other tidbits likely of limited interest, I noticed this morning that I seem to have done enough damage during October's R2R2R to the 2nd toe on each foot that I am growing a new nail under the old nail. Sure hope that is mostly grown out by 12/29 when I next attempt to walk 60+ miles in a day. My nails grow fast and that is 2 weeks away so it might work. Or not.

The new shoes seemed good on their maiden walk last Friday. T is asking if I will be well enough by the weekend to do something long. I hope so... told him I'd let him know by Friday. I think we'd head down to Black Canyon and hike that trail - wonderful cacti and desert plants although given lack of any moisture since forever, the plants won't be looking their winter best. I love it when the cacti are all plumped out.

For some inspiration, I re-listened to "My Year of Running Dangerously" by Tom Foreman which I really enjoyed. He is funny and yet conveys very well the challenges of incorporating a LOT of running into an already busy life. And he gets a lot of the stuff about ultra's right which I appreciate. He is far more serious about following a training plan than I've ever considered being.

Then, I started a new sci fi book, "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I'm about 5 hours into it - pretty good. Terraforming planets, nanoviruses, and human nature - are we doomed to doom ourselves? I will say though that while lazing about in bed yesterday I opted for straight brain candy instead of more of the sci fi book. I will return to it soon.

Here was my brain candy moment: There is an alien who has many advanced abilities (vs humans) yet whose form is identical to human form down to and including the female hyman. I'm mentally questioning this identical evolutionary path when I realize how silly any consideration of this little detail is given that the book is based on the idea that there are vampires, immortals, and "others" in the world. What a Face
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Our local birds are desperate for water. Once the temperature climbs above freezing, we start filling the birdbaths. It is remarkable how quickly the birds use up the water, and we are seeing some species that should not be around this time of year. We see the occasional bluebird during the winter, but the evening grosbeaks are very unusual.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Looks like everyone is waiting their turn. Very cool picture.

Glad you are on the mend. Hope those toe nails grow great guns. Mine do not grow fast at all.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:50 am

On the multi quote thing: at MDA I always opened several tabs to do that. There is a 'citation multiple' button here, but haven't played around with it yet.

When you right click on the 'quote' button you can 'open in a new tab' which gives you the option to easily copy/paste it into your reply.

Meant2Move wrote:In other tidbits likely of limited interest, I noticed this morning that I seem to have done enough damage during October's R2R2R to the 2nd toe on each foot that I am growing a new nail under the old nail.  Sure hope that is mostly grown out by 12/29 when I next attempt to walk 60+ miles in a day. My nails grow fast and that is 2 weeks away so it might work.  Or not.  

The new shoes seemed good on their maiden walk last Friday.  T is asking if I will be well enough by the weekend to do something long. I hope so... told him I'd let him know by Friday. I think we'd head down to Black Canyon and hike that trail - wonderful cacti and desert plants although given lack of any moisture since forever, the plants won't be looking their winter best. I love it when the cacti are all plumped out.

For some inspiration, I re-listened to "My Year of Running Dangerously" by Tom Foreman which I really enjoyed.  He is funny and yet conveys very well the challenges of incorporating a LOT of running into an already busy life. And he gets a lot of the stuff about ultra's right which I appreciate. He is far more serious about following a training plan than I've ever considered being.

Then, I started a new sci fi book, "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I'm about 5 hours into it - pretty good. Terraforming planets, nanoviruses, and human nature - are we doomed to doom ourselves?  I will say though that while lazing about in bed yesterday I opted for straight brain candy instead of more of the sci fi book. I will return to it soon.  

Here was my brain candy moment: There is an alien who has many advanced abilities (vs humans) yet whose form is identical to human form down to and including the female hyman. I'm mentally questioning this identical evolutionary path when I realize how silly any consideration of this little detail is given that the book is based on the idea that there are vampires, immortals, and "others" in the world.  What a Face  

I for one love those tidbits!  Very Happy As well as your signature: "Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein  cat

Meant2Move wrote:

Our local birds are desperate for water. Once the temperature climbs above freezing, we start filling the birdbaths. It is remarkable how quickly the birds use up the water, and we are seeing some species that should not be around this time of year. We see the occasional bluebird during the winter, but the evening grosbeaks are very unusual.

Great picture. So cute to see them like that. Over here there's plenty of rain nowadays, even though the rest of the country has snow. I feel cheated. Sad Despite noticing all the traffic issues.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:03 am

Meant2Move wrote:

For some inspiration, I re-listened to "My Year of Running Dangerously" by Tom Foreman which I really enjoyed.  

I realize how silly any consideration of this little detail is given that the book is based on the idea that there are vampires, immortals, and "others" in the world.  What a Face  

The running book sounds good for a running book.

Re the vampire book, haha, it's funny how we need our fiction to still make sense within itself.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:40 am

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. Hopefully that path continues.

Love the bird picture, so beautiful. It's through post like yours and Annies, that I realize how much I miss living in suburbia.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:00 pm

toenail. The cool thing about the body is that it is constantly in a state of support and repair. Time passes and we are by degrees better wether we're aware or not. Truth that helps relieve my current anxiety. :]

Brain candy: Such conjectures offer some excellent storytelling jumping point for sure.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Climbing gym date. I was a little unsure how it would go given I am still that tad bit wimpy. Got to work and realized I had a schedule conflict as we were to interview some people this afternoon, so called T and moved our date up by 90 minutes.  The gym was a bit crowded so less fun than usual and there were too many people on the lead wall so we had to work around one another. Mostly it was fine although there was one pair that was rather aggressive about their "space".  

After 3 easy warm-ups, we moved to the lead wall. I did an easy route to start and would have moved to a more challenging lead, but the aforementioned couple were crowding in, so I opted for an easy but slightly overhanging route.  Then again, to avoid others, I did a new very overhanging route knowing I'd likely have to hang once or twice. Or 3 or 4 times as I pushed it out to the finish. Very challenging, but it should be doable now that I know what is there. T followed me on top-rope rather than lead it and was impressed that I did lead it.  4 leads, 8 routes total.

I had to drive to the gym so it will not be a good step day.  

We don't know this climber (other than we've seen him a time or 2 at the gym) but this part of the lead wall at the gym. The routes have changed since this picture was taken, but the very challenging lead went up the same corner and into the big roof that the climber is headed to.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:55 pm

I can't tell, is he hooked onto that rope?  Do you have to have someone spot you?

I never did try although I visited a climbing place once.  Did not like the smell---not athlete smell...it was the foam used for falling onto.  

Glad you have so much fun doing this.  It is such a great workout===I've read.

Last edited by perennialpam on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:27 pm

More than daunting to say the least. Always admired those that can do this.
Some club dancers are like this. I used to salsa and sometimes you had to block your space when some enthusiastic types would step into you. People and their egos. Much more risky on wall, though.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:08 pm

perennialpam wrote:I can't tell, is he hooked onto that rope?  Do you have to have someone spot you?

I never did try although I visited a climbing place once.  Did not like the smell---not athlete smell...it was the foam used for falling onto.  

Glad you have so much fun doing this.  It is such a great workout===I've read.

Pam, on the left side of the picture, you'll see ropes hanging down. Those are the "top ropes' that I've referred to. With those, the climber ties in to one side and the rope goes up and over a bar for some friction, then down to the partner who is called the belayer. The belayer has a device that allows him to control the rope and he can apply a brake if needed. As the climber moves up the wall, the belayer takes in the slack rope so that if the climber falls, he doesn't go far because the belayer uses his device to apply the brake on the rope and he easily holds the climber in place. When the climber reaches the top, or wants to lower off the climb, he puts all his weight on the rope (dangling sort of) and the belayer can easily lower the climber in a controlled fashion.

On the lead wall, many of the concepts are the similar, but there is no top rope. Instead, the climber ties into the rope and he still has a belayer. As the climber moves up the wall "on lead", there are bolts with slings and carabiners hanging in place, these are referred to as "bolts" or "protection". As the climber moves by the bolt, he clips the rope through the carabiner. The belayer is still on the ground, but in this case he is feeding out rope rather than taking in slack. Should the lead climber fall, he will drop a lot farther than on top rope because he will fall whatever distance he is above the last protection, that same amount again as he goes past the protection, and then a bit more because there is always slack in the rope, and if the belayer is not responsive about applying the brake, the leader falls more. There is more challenge and more risk when leading.

Generally there isn't a need for a spotter, at least not in gym climbing although if one falls prior to clipping the first 1 or 2 bolts, he will hit the floor and sometimes a spot can reduce the impact of the fall.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:12 pm

Midday walk to WF today, ended up with shrimp and turkey. Shrimp will be a quick meal on Sunday while the turkey cooks.

Hiking the Black Canyon trail Saturday. T wants to go 24 miles... hope that works out. I think it will be OK.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks for the description and differences of top and lead.   May well try a wall gym one day (when ankle behaves like normal).  Have an enjoyable canyon hike! Living vicariously til the day I can traipse though the woods once more.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:19 am

I'll join the vicarious wall climbers for now. It's always looked like so much fun!

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next