Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:55 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Hoping you get good news on knee.

Dan's assessment is probable grade 2 (maybe it was class 2 or level 2) injury with some tearing but mostly strain. He did a careful assessment, but like the guy I saw right when I returned from the ski trip, he said to do a really thorough evaluation would be painful to me and at this point, could actually cause a re-injury. He gave me some exercises to do 2-3 times a day. Nothing complex, but enough to get a good start towards healing. He warned me away from anything to rambunctious... I've been self-monitoring anyway, and encouraged me to consider replacing some of my walking/hiking with bicycling. He also gave me some strategies for bed as I actually have the most pain there. Much bigger pillow (longer rather than puffy) between my knees and all the way down to my feet, and before actually sitting up, some gentle heel gliding to wake up and hopefully lubricate the joint before I try to stand on it.

Oh, and wear a compression knee brace. I was doing so right after the injury, but the one that usually fits me well was feeling darn tight due to overall swelling. Might be OK now, or better yet, I'll try using T's as his braces are bigger than mine.

Coming Friday (Feb 16) will be 3 weeks since the injury, at this point I'm figuring on another 3-4 weeks of being careful.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Greensprout wrote:
The Walrus wrote:I know this sounds really weird, but have you ever used a little funnel device to pee standing up?  I have one - it changed my life!  I can pee anywhere now Smile. Sorry to be gross, but it is very freeing to not have to squat or use questionable toilets.  I image an experienced outdoors woman like yourself has come across these.  It has really come in handy recently, as we have been walking and paddling into places where there are no toilets and little privacy.  

They actually exist in the military, for women in the field, particularly on deployment “outside the wire”.  Is called a “she wee”, LOL.

How funny, T brought this up recently. I likely peed somewhere he considered iffy. I've seen them, and considered buying one, but haven't ever gotten around to it. I'm not all that hesitant to drop my drawers and always have tissue in my pocket, but there definitely are times when more discretion would be advisable. I've seen one called "the lady j". I should get one, particularly now that I've heard from ladies who tell me it works. Thanks!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:09 pm

We are having weather - rain and snow mix Monday and again today. Doing the happy dance for that! The drive home last night was brutal - snow packed and ferocious blowing snow such that I was using the highway road side reflectors to navigate with. It was a relief to turn off the highway and onto the dirt road as it was so much easier to know where the road was. Still snowpacked this morning, but clear skies so easy driving.

Climbing gym date! Walked over in light rain which was a treat, then had a great time climbing. Did 3 leads including doing the best I've ever done on an overhanging route. I am super pleased about that. Also did a first time lead on a rather challenging but far less overhung route. 9 routes total.

On my walk back to the office, saw some ducks paddling in the stream formed by storm runoff. I so enjoy little bits of nature as a part of my day.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Annieh wrote:That sounds like an amazing vegetable-based meal, and my instinct is that the variety is probably even more beneficial for you than eating extra greens would be.  

As for me, I wouldn't want to eat that much raw food, especially the brassicas...

If not accustomed to it, yes, it might have unpleasant consequences. I've been doing it for years and now I really miss it if I go more than a day or 2 without. Well, not on the weekend - we do different veggies on the weekend and usually more meat since that is when I typically cook a big pile of whatever meat we are going to eat the next week.

Thanks for the second vote on variety. I tried extra spinach yesterday and didn't love it.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Happy to hear you’ve seen the PT and gotten some stretches and things to do to help heal your knee.

I love lots of raw veg as well. Have you ever tried adding kale, collards, Swiss chard, mustard greens? I try to switch around from week to week. If you chop up kale then add som lemon juice and salt and massage the kale it is most excellent. Mustard greens give a nice bite, collards make an excellent bun/tortilla
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Funny you should mention that, NM, while we were doing our Shoe Hill Loop this morning (our Valentine's day treat), T brought up that I haven't bought any greens for sometime. They used to be a staple. I've not tried that with kale, it might make it more palatable raw. I would have said I only liked it cooked. I do like collard greens a lot. Anyway, some sort of greens is back on my shopping list.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:02 pm

T picked up an audio book from the library somewhat at random, but it is good and he has me listening now. The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin. At the most basic level, it categorizes people based upon how we respond to expectations, both inner and outer.

I'm enjoying the book and have already acknowledged and used a couple of helpful points in relation to some employees. And as we talked this morning while hiking, it might promote and assist certain conversations between T and I. We are very solid, but we are far from great when it comes to communication.

There is a test for those who are interested. It requires an email address, but I've yet to get any spam or anything at all for that matter.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4185694/Gretchen-Rubin-s-Quiz-The-Four-Tendencies
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 pm

The top group, representing those who ate the most leafy greens, ate an average of 1.3 servings per day. (One serving equals ½ cup of cooked greens or 1 cup of raw greens.)

https://blog.bulletproof.com/leafy-greens-minimize-cognitive-decline/

I like your BAS with a variety of veggies too. Smile

Thought you might like the link as it offers recipes as well as highlights the importance of cruciferous veggies and shows the dose of leafy greens needs not be too large. Wink

Sending some healing vibes your way for your knee.

Questioner here. Very Happy You?
There's a thread about it here and I posted about it in my MDA journal, thanks to Robb Wolf.

You even posted in there. Another questioner. http://primalforums.forumotion.com/t12-four-tendencies
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Lovebird wrote:Questioner here. Very Happy You?

I'm an Upholder.

Actually, I often wish I were more of a questioner in life, but it is not my nature and it takes an effort for me to do so in certain situations. The recent thing with my doctor when she was pushing the advice of the radiologists to get a biopsy despite 2 tests that showed nothing was really hard for me to do. If I don't hold myself to a standard, avoidance would be my approach to such things.

Pretty sure I am married to a questioner... he is struggling a bit with internal motivation at the moment, hence the book and the conversations.

Last edited by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Lovebird wrote:You even posted in there. Another questioner. http://primalforums.forumotion.com/t12-four-tendencies

That is interesting... wonder how mood dependent it is... I had no knowledge of Rubin's work so I don't think it was expectation of what I thought I would be. Having now gone through the chapters on Upholder and Questioner, I am not a Questioner, and the Upholder label fits fairly well.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Actually my fav green is collards. Kale works well for salads along with mustard for me.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:33 am

Meant2Move wrote:If I don't hold myself to a standard, avoidance would be my approach to such things.

Pretty sure I am married to a questioner... he is struggling a bit with internal motivation at the moment, hence the book and the conversations.

My dad used to say there are no stupid questions... I tend to somewhat disagree with him there, cuz some people seem to never learn... Rolling Eyes We were encouraged to find answers thru reading/(re)searching and he loved the interwebs as much as I do. DS was raised the same way, ask away and we'll answer or if we don't know find out elsewhere together.

I can relate to the avoidance approach though, which makes me question my result. See what I did there?  Razz Then again I wonder about the INFP thing as well. Heck there are moments/days where I question pretty much everything, however usually stick to what I decided upon if the reasoning is still valid. Being an introvert it's rarely out loud, I tend to process information on the inside, but can't deny I want to know and understand things/people when they pique my interest. Cool

Meant2Move wrote:Having now gone through the chapters on Upholder and Questioner, I am not a Questioner, and the Upholder label fits fairly well.  

So you're game for creating rules and lists? Like Pedidoc? Smile

I like habits/rules/lists... as long as I'm the one that gets to decide upon them myself.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:59 am

My dad used to say there are no stupid questions... I tend to somewhat disagree with him there, cuz some people seem to never learn...
Smile I learned years back to add a second part to your Dad's comment to handle your "some people" thing: There are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 am

Meant2Move wrote:Having now gone through the chapters on Upholder and Questioner, I am not a Questioner, and the Upholder label fits fairly well.  

So you're game for creating rules and lists? Like Pedidoc? Smile

I like habits/rules/lists... as long as I'm the one that gets to decide upon them myself.[/quote]

Ha Ha, I only like my lists....... Very Happy
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Yep, I like lists, I'm OK with rules when I think they are valid (and it bugs the heck out of me when people think they are exempt). I know, bit of questioner there with that "when I think they are valid", but mostly I do follow the rules as I much prefer a civil and orderly society. If I can build a habit, I'm pretty good to stick with it. If it comes to my internal expectations versus external expectations, internal wins most of the time - maybe I am like Pedidoc - my lists are best!!!

Spouse has yet to take the test - and based upon my differing results it might not be defining, but I am starting to think he is actually an Obliger with Rebel tendencies. He needs external motivation and I am not one to nag or set expectations for him, so he is struggling to meet his own expectations. I would like for him to be happier so need to figure out some way to help him feel accountable.

Two of my best, but most challenging employees are questioners. It helps, I think, to have an understanding that their need to question is inherent. I am pretty sure 2 out of 3 managers are Obligers, the other is an Upholder. I really have to watch that one of the Obligers doesn't take on too much.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 pm

I am def a questioner for all things at all levels. Reason and logic being the thread of order for me. I agree, those that think they're exempt bug me no end because we all must live on this planet, together.

Interesting to see how the 4 Tends. clarifies your interactions with your crew. Hope it is making the strategies with them simpler to approach.

Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:44 pm

I am a questioner per the survey. Not totally sure I agree with that.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Pedidoc wrote:I am a questioner per the survey.  Not totally sure I agree with that.

Maybe there are some questions that are mood dependent? No idea. As Lovebird pointed out, first time I took the quiz I got questioner, second time upholder. The author says no matter the quiz result, if your gut tells you that you are in another category from the result, you likely are in that alternate category, not the one your test result would indicate.

The categories are said to overlap, so one can be in a group with leanings one way or another.

Upholder (meets inner and external expectations)

Questioner (meets internal expectations) Obliger (meets external expectations)

Rebel (meets neither internal nor external expectations)

So, one can be an Upholder with Questioner leanings, or Upholder with Obliger leanings, and so forth.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:06 pm

Decent day. Did a DVD workout this morning, stepping, then some careful boot camp stuff. Lots of push-ups, some pull-ups, and some back and core work. Midday walk on campus for a couple of miles.

Completed a big project that will allow me to move on to the next big project that I need to complete in advance of the board meeting next week. Tomorrow I shall be buried in spreadsheets and budget projections... won't that be a good time?

Danger, danger! Popped into Target to return something and to pick up some cat treats and of course the Easter candy is out - Starburst Jellybeans are my downfall and total nemesis. Target has the cute little packs which tempt me enormously. I know better than to buy the big bag as I'll eat it until it is gone and then feel awful from the sugar buzz. The little packages are dangerous too, but at least the quantity is limited. And yes, I bought and ate some. Must stay out of Target and Walgreens!!!!!

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:01 am

Meant2Move wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:I am a questioner per the survey.  Not totally sure I agree with that.

Maybe there are some questions that are mood dependent? No idea. As Lovebird pointed out, first time I took the quiz I got questioner, second time upholder. The author says no matter the quiz result, if your gut tells you that you are in another category from the result, you likely are in that alternate category, not the one your test result would indicate.

The categories are said to overlap, so one can be in a group with leanings one way or another.  

Upholder (meets inner and external expectations)

Questioner (meets internal expectations)                                                           Obliger (meets external expectations)

Rebel (meets neither internal nor external expectations)

So, one can be an Upholder with Questioner leanings, or Upholder with Obliger leanings, and so forth.  

Thanks, M2M for the breakdown. I do find it ironic that I am questioning if I am a questioner.... Cool
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:23 am

Thanks, M2M for the breakdown.  I do find it ironic that I am questioning if I am a questioner.... Cool

I laughed when I first read your initial statement questioning if you were a questioner. Thanks for the morning chuckle.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 pm

I hear you! I first got questioner which I questioned as well. This morning spouse pointed out that some of my tendencies might put me there, or rebel. I am so not a rebel!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:49 pm

No morning workout and I'm feeling completely out of whack. Part of me is ready to pop into a corner and cry. Gah. Must get out for a walk.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 am

Pedidoc... the remark about creating rules and lists comes from Gretchen Rubin, an Upholder herself. Which would put you in the same category as Meant2Move. Sounds about right to me, judging from your posts over the years. Smile
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:30 am

Hope you can walk off the blahs, M2M.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content